Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Turn off the TV when stop watching (from bed, too)

by Numenor Posted 15th Apr 2005 at 10:12 PM - Updated 12th Feb 2009 at 1:57 PM by Numenor : Updated game compatibility note

180 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 174 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 8
Test Subject
#76 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 12:06 PM
OMG, You are the best!!! *downloads*
Field Researcher
#77 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
EDIT:
I've run some tests and I've dicovered that a similar error message appears in the cheat window even using the original Soma wall-mounted TV and without my hack installed. Another Maxis oddity, that seems harmless, though.

Hrm... well. Not sure what you mean by original. If you are differentiating between the PancakeTek (flat-panel) and the "Wall-Eye" tv that hangs on the wall, I assume you are saying that the problem also happens with the PancakeTek? Well, the errors I saw in the cheat window was with the "Wall-Eye" TV. But I guess that error happens anyways?

Perhaps it was just a coincidence that they are showing up along with the problem of my sims not sitting down.

As for the sims that prefer to seat on a distand chair, instead of the sofa, I've run some tests and I've discovered that there is apparently a gerarchy in the seating preference: regardless to the seating type (a cheap chair is treated the same as a luxury sofa), the sims prefer a seat located 2 tile far from the tv, and possibly not in the center. It's something in the game routine that manages the choice of the seat and the routing to it. Luckily, it doesn't seem related to the TV itself, or the turn-off hack.

The weird thing is, that when I removed the hack, my sims sit down fine. But with the hack active, my sims (in the same house) and their guests will not sit down on the couch. They start walking towards the couch, but instead of sitting down, they turn around and walk back towards the TV. Then they continue to watch TV while standing in the middle of the living room. The first one that gets in front does stand about 2 panels away. Then the other sims line up right behind that sim. :confused:

I tried this with just your hack and no other hacks, and the same thing occurred. I don't think an error log was created. The only errors I saw were in the cheat window. So I thought they might be related.

So far, I had only tested this in one house which had the "Wall-Eye" TV. The other house that I tested only had the cheap Trottco TV and the PancakeTek TV. But for both of those, I was testing watching TV from bed. For those two TVs, the sim would always turn the TV off when I tried to make him Change the Channel. For the "Wall-Eye" TV, my sims could change the channel but they would stand instead of sitting on the couch.

I'll try and test a bit again tomorrow to confirm if this happens in other houses with the "Wall-Eye." But the turning off instead of channel changing occurs in Both houses with the Trottco TV.

Ste
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 8:48 AM
This thing is driving me crazy...
I tested a variety of couches and chairs and sofas, and different TVs, too, and I couldn't replicate the problem you describe (the sims refusing to seat on the couch). I tried different positions for the coach, even using the snapobject cheat to place it in "strange" positions, and my sims always watch TV sitting on the couch.
Since I read that your tests are very detailed and precise, I guess that there is something obvious that I'm making different from you.

The odd thing is that the BHAV I've modified is used only when the sims are already watching TV, it is not called to calculate the route to the TV... But your tests show with no doubt that without my hack the sims seat down correctly on the couch, while with the hack they don't.

I repeat, this thing is driving me crazy!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Systemic Anomaly
#79 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 5:23 PM
Syberspunk's "slot error" has nothing to do with this mod, fwiw. I just tested this in a completely modless game, and the error still crops up. Maxis probably just fat-fingered the name of a node in the model - I wouldn't lose sleep over this.
Field Researcher
#80 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 6:53 PM Last edited by syberspunk : 12th Jun 2005 at 1:54 AM.
This thing is driving me crazy...

:wave:

Hi Numenor, and jase too! Thanks for looking into this. I now suspect that the weird route to TV/couch error is just an effect of what might have possibly been a fubar'd lot.

I recently experienced some other unrelated funky error (of course, cause what else should you expect with Maxis ) and as a result, I was forced to reset that lot/house. So... essentialy, I ended up moving the family out into the simbin, moving the lot/house into the lotbin, moving the lot/house BACK into the neighborhood, and moving the family BACK IN.

This fixed up my other major fuckedupness. And when I repopulated the house with new furniture, I did a quick test run without any other mods (only your TV mod), and everything worked fine.

No funky routing or standing in the middle of the room. I tried different couches and different distances from the TV and it worked ok.

The only problem that persists is the Turning the TV Off instead of Changing the Channel while Relaxing on a Bed. Which you verified also happened in your game, yes? And this issue is, as of yet, unresolved?

Other than that, it works fine. I am sooooooooo sorry for causing so much trouble. The other thing is, my original test runs were done under my Hack Testing account that I created (I have Windows XP). In that account, I pretty much cloned my existing (real game) neighborhood, and I usually use hacks that I am testing on that account. So, it is quite possible that the lot (the one with the weird couch problems) I tested on in that account is still majorly fubared.

Anyways, again, I am very :sorry: for driving you crazy. Hehe. What appeared to be a thorough test on my part was just circumstantial. I should have tested in several different houses just to be sure. Again, many thanks for trying to figure this out.

Hopefully the turning off/channel changing problem could be figured out. I tried testing that part with debug mode on, but unfortunately no error log pops up, and no error messages show up in the cheat panel. Sorry I couldn't help with this much. :confused:

Ste
Test Subject
#81 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 9:48 AM
Awesome. My thanks abound.

Anybody know if there's one for the stereo?
Test Subject
#82 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 2:29 PM
Great JOB! Thanks for the wonderful hack!
Forum Resident
#83 Old 2nd May 2005 at 1:44 AM
Thank goodness! I've always thought it was silly of them to leave the TV on and try to sleep, only to wake up screaming and stomping! I'm definately downloading!
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 4th May 2005 at 10:15 PM
I have also noticed this, especially when im trying to test new commercials that I have placed in the game. They always get bored and turn it off, and I didnt tell them to do it
!!!
thank you sooo much :D
Test Subject
#85 Old 4th May 2005 at 10:26 PM
I don't know what we would do without you !
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 5th May 2005 at 6:09 PM
Default The opposite problem
Quote:
I'd like to see a hack that does the reverse. My Sims ALWAYS turn the TV off. I'd like it to just be blaring in the background sometimes, gives more of a 'home' feeling.

IE: Hack to always leave TV turned on unless specifically issuing command to turn it off.

DITTO! My Sims always turn the TV off, which under certain circumstances is ridiculous (it would be like turning the computer EVERY time you finish using it.) What I wonder is, why do some of us have Sims that never turn the TV off, and others have Sims that ALWAYS turn it off? Is it a personality thing? But I wish mine could leave the darn thing on for awhile.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 6th May 2005 at 12:16 AM
Without the hack, sloppy sims tend to leave the TV on, while neat sims always turn it off. It's something like me and my wife: I always go around turning off the TVs that she leaves on. And, btw, maybe I don't turn the computer off every time I finish using it, but I always turn the monitor off

Jokes apart, the hack can do only 1 thing: the sims can be instructed to always turn off the TV, or always leave it on, but not both things; and having the TV always on is a bit annoying, in my opinion. Maybe you should get rid of my hack and create sloppier sims
Test Subject
#88 Old 6th May 2005 at 9:08 AM
I do like this hack, but I found that with it in my game that the transportation option in the phone menu disappears from my game. I can't call for a taxi from anywhere in the game. I have university expansion.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 6th May 2005 at 2:02 PM
NAW78, there should be absolutely no connection between my hack and the phone/taxi options: try remove my hack and see if the missing options comes back. If not (and I suppose so), you have another hack that creates conflicts.
Do you use JM Pescado's phone/taxi hack?
Test Subject
#90 Old 7th May 2005 at 8:00 AM
I removed your tv hack from my game & the transportation option returned to the phone menu. I only used the phone hack that shuts the ringer off.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#91 Old 7th May 2005 at 9:51 AM
Odd, I use the same hack... But are you sure you are using the latest, University compliant version of that hack? When the EP came out, Pescado has done a major update for it.
Be sure you have the latest version (updated 06 may 2005) HERE
Forum Resident
#92 Old 11th May 2005 at 12:22 AM
A much neede hack

Thank you
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 11th May 2005 at 6:03 PM
>Without the hack, sloppy sims tend to leave the TV on, while neat sims >always turn it off.

I think that's my problem - ALL my Sims are neat because I despise the table manners of the sloppy ones. I wish there was some way I could stop them for the obsessive turning off the TV, but I guess I'll have to live with it (it's particularly bad at my movie theatre though!)

- Judy
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#94 Old 11th May 2005 at 7:57 PM Last edited by Numenor : 11th May 2005 at 8:03 PM.
I understand what you mean, Pearlbh, but obviously we have the opposite problem (my sims are all quite sloppy, because the number of "points" you can use when creating them is limited, so I prefer to improve activeness or niceness...).

I'm sorry but I can't create a hack that sometimes forces your sims to leave the TV on. And I can't create a hack that would always force your sims to leave it on, because it would conflict with my existing "always turn-off" hack...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#95 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 6:34 AM
a very insightful and often used mod! it's so good, it is taken for granted, but it workd great and you have my thanks!
Test Subject
#96 Old 22nd Jun 2005 at 3:54 PM
U can use the cheat 2 put up stuff like lazyness and mke en active.stuf like that.
Forum Resident
#97 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 1:36 PM
Thank you so much! It's been frustrating, really frustrating.
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 1:56 AM
Yes! now my sims will be so glad to get there tv's back.
Field Researcher
#99 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 7:48 AM
say, i have followed the longer parts of this thread where cyberspunk started the dialogue with numenor and jase, et. al. about a jump bug that may or may not have originated from this mod or general game barfing on non-poisoned BHAVS, and i received quiet an education. for about the last month, i have off and on had a jump bug, and have fixed it. but for the last week i have gotten one that (is unrelated to this mod) whenever i mouse over ANY selected sim--- the active sim in my control---- it jumps. that's the only time. last night, i decided to finally use the boolprop testingcheatsenabled true, and then my game began yacking up sillions of log files, asking me to cancel, reset or delete. once i pressed delete on a community lot and that sim went bye bye and was forced to bring up the task manager to kill the game. going back to the game & using this same 'cheat' (debug) mode, i just tolerated the behavior of the game incessantly producing these dialog boxes and (290) log files, but i knew better than to press delete when the verbage within the dialog box sited a sim while on a community lot or in a one sim house. the boxes produced rarely sited pregnancy controllers i believe, bot mostly the macrostatics by JM, which i do LIKE quite a bit... as i do all his work... and then other times it never sited anything specific other than 'X' sim.... the controlled one. hitting cancel never worked, reset sometimes did and delete usually solved problems on that lot, community or not. once i saw a tree break, some other times it was with a visitor controller... there were so many.

i am not going to list the mods i have in my game, there are too many, and that is not the point of this post. i know what i have to do, and i have to do it on my own to fix it, but this thread had such intelligent dialogue that it has helped me understand the game quite a bit more when dealing with modes, as well as in general. so i thank anyone who has helped educate me on this. my first read, i saw the postings and it was all greek to me, but after experienceing this 'mouse over' jump repeatedly, those posts made a lot of sense suddenly.

i am curious though if this particular KIND of jump has been experienced before... with the mouse over.... that way it may make my work less tedious. if not fine, all good. and the other thing i noticed was... while using the (debug/cheat) mode, i didn't have this jumping, not at all, no matter how i tried to induce it. and after going through the obligatory choices of cancel/reset/delete for each unique instance, which would take the first 2-10 minutes on any given lot, then i could play hours without any problems AT ALL.

i have since went and removed macrostatistics and some others that were fingered by the debug mode (sounds like a bad pun there...) but i have not went back to my game yet. thought i'd check MTS2 first before i did. ergo....

i'd like to know what is going on when i am making these choices.... what am i canceling-deleting-resetting?

and... i am led to believe that using the debug mode induced by boolprop is beneficial and even fixed some things, so... should i use it for this unique case for this unique purpose? if so should i use it to troubleshoot or remedy? both? neither? i am thinking about going back to the game without. just to see how play goes. if everything is as before, then i'll turn it on again and continue the tedium of troubleshooting....

midway through this post, it hit me... i may be in the wrong place.... but then i thought no... i do have this tv mod, though i like it and don't believe it to be related at all to my problems, maybe the codewriter who uses this forum to work through their beta's publicly might see something that a mere gamer like myself doesn't see. that is what what it is for, and it was the knowledgable people within this threas that schooled me a bit to begin with.

anyway, thanks, and if you need to chastise me with a spanky monkey for a long inappropriate post, i understand. a PM would be welcomed if you felt it were warranted.

love ya!

Sophie
Test Subject
#100 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 8:36 AM
Hi,
If anyone needs a completely free,"Zipping"/"Unzipping",program.Then go here:
http://www.ultimatezip.com/
Page 4 of 8