Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*Working* Magazine Rack [UPD 29 jan 2009]

by Numenor Posted 25th Jun 2008 at 11:47 PM - Updated 14th Mar 2009 at 8:49 PM by Numenor : Restored missing attachment

257 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 245 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 11
Test Subject
#76 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 4:31 AM
WONDERFUL! Thank you so much.

I'm glad to see you're still into the game Numenor. Sometimes I feel that all the great creators, modders, meshers, and re-tex-ers have left the community.

Thanks again,

Donner
Test Subject
#77 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 5:06 AM Last edited by LERSIM : 8th Jul 2008 at 5:24 AM.
I'm fainting with pleasure. "Don't worry Simmies, Numenor to the rescue! Call that yellow-capped fellow right away, your subscriptions can now be renewed!"
Top Secret Researcher
#78 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 7:08 AM
Fantastic, this is going to be so cool to have a magazine rack.
Thank You so much.
Field Researcher
#79 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 8:52 AM
I experience some strange jump bug, and it somehow is connected to sim antfarm. First time it happened, when sim added magazines to the rack, and the second when he was reading. I attached the logs. And thank you for this wonderfull creation

P.S I have everything plus Ikea, maybe it's Ikea causing tha bug?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Logs.rar (39.5 KB, 8 downloads)
Scholar
#80 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 9:20 AM
This seems like a neat object and if I actually played the game I would download it, thanks as always for delivering something well made and unique.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Test Subject
#81 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 10:16 AM
Dutch menu
Hey i tried to translate the menu to dutch, because i didn't know ALL the magazines names in dutch like in the game, some strings may be just a literally translation.

Because i did this one it doesn't mean others may not redo it, because i think this is just a good temporary solution for dutch people, not the perfect one

PS: Your 'ego' unvealed must be Your 'ego' unveiled
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Menu_to_Dutch.zip (767 Bytes, 13 downloads)
Alchemist
#82 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 10:32 AM
I find this whole thread is sparkling. Sometimes just simple things, like a magazine rack (masterly executed, of course) can ignite a flame of enthusiasm for a game and make it seem totally new. Ingenious and so much fun! Thanks,
Forum Resident
#83 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 11:13 AM
Thanks for the little tutorial on how to change the language!
Test Subject
#84 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 2:19 PM
I've wanted a magazine rack since my Sims first bought a pile of magazines and dumped it on random surfaces. I can't possibly express how much I adore you for making this.

Video games don't ruin kids. If Pac-Man ruined us as kids, we would all be running around in darkened rooms, eating "magic" pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. ... hmmm
Test Subject
#85 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 2:40 PM
Awesome! Finally I have a spot for my magazines

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#86 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 4:23 PM
Finally a good place to store mags

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Test Subject
#87 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 4:31 PM
I just saw someone that uploaded a Dutch translation, just finished mine :P
Here it is anyways, saw some mistakes in it. A few of the magazine names are still the same, 'cause they're too good
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MENU_to_translate.rar (788 Bytes, 7 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 6:06 PM
MY translation in to swedish.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  swedish.zip (749 Bytes, 12 downloads)
Forum Resident
#89 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 7:24 PM
awesome!!!!Thank you so much!!!
Test Subject
#90 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 7:55 PM
Thanks for creating this. View centrefold animation is hilarious

I was testing this today and I noticed something. Base game magazines have 3 reading options/subjects (when magazine has not been in rack). However, when Sim puts it in magazine rack and takes it out it only gives “Read magazine” option. Is it supposed to be this way?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#91 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 8:14 PM
Okay I about fell outta my chair when my neat sim child autonomously decided to put away all books and magazines.

One little thing though - sims don't seem to put things back when they're done - they go toss 'em on the counter or floor instead of sticking them back. Is it meant to be that way?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 10:55 PM Last edited by Numenor : 27th Jun 2008 at 11:39 PM.
Blackcat - Thanks for reporting. I'm going to run my own tests, but I can't exclude that there might be a problem with the "Macrotastic Controller" by Pescado (at least in one of the two logs, I see it mentioned; the other error is different, I'll investigate about it as well).
BTW, do you have FreeTime? In your profile I don't see it.

Twistereli - Thanks! I'v included the Dutch translation in my copies of the racks; I'll upload them as soon as I fix the bugs reposted by BlackCat.
Oh, and I've extracted the original magazine names from the game and replaced your translations

Femsuii - Your effort is appreciated in any case

m618915 - I didn't mention this in the instructions because people usually don't read long instructions
Yes, it is meant to be this way. In the original magazines you can choose to read (and improve your knowledge about) one out of three "interests". In my magazines (the magazines become "my" magazines as soon as you put them in the rack for the first time), you can only "Read Magazine", but the magazine will automatically improve the "interest" that you have to lowest level (among the three included in the magazine). If you put it down and start again reading, you will automatically increase a second interest, and so on. Try reading magazines keeping the interests panel open and watch the interest grow

HystericalParoxysm - The children! That is something I forgot to test! I hope that they interact correctly with the rack and the magazines -
And you are right: the sims (even the neat ones, that always put away the books) don't put away automatically the magazine after reading it. The reason is simple: in the game there is the interaction "put this book away", used by neat sims after reading a book, but it doesn't exist a "put magazine away" interaction, because the magazines have always been left around the house. Yes, I could had written (?) the missing interaction, but it took me already too long to get to this point, and I was afraid that - due to my laziness - I would delayed the upload for two more months -

Stimy - Downloaded! Thanks a million :

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#93 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 10:56 PM Last edited by SeasonPink : 27th Jun 2008 at 11:12 PM.
Numenor le puoi estrarre anche in francese?Se lo fai ho finito la traduzione.Basta che me le mandi tramite PM.
Ottimo lavoro orgoglio italiano,questo mi serviva =D.

Pour tout le monde:
Je suis en train de le traduire en français.

To everybody:
I'm working on the translation in french.
Forum Resident
#94 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 3:08 AM
Num! I love your creations :D
another great & useful idea: thank you!
Field Researcher
#95 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:05 AM
Well, I do have a lot of hacks, but because this jump bug is inconsistent ( I didn't get it since then) I could not take hacks away and check. Though I wasn't using Macro when these errors happened.
Yes, I have everything that exists for sims.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#96 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 10:57 AM
The first error (Attribute number out of range) happened when the Macrotastics was performins a sort of autonomous action ("Interaction - Maintenance - TEST"): I guess it was scanning the lot in search of broken objects, and somehow it performed a magazine-related check over the Ant Farm (that of course is not a magazine). This can explain why you don't get it any more: we can't know when the Macrotastic performs that scan (but it should be recursive anyway, so it should be only a matter of time); I will tri downloading the Macrotastics and look into the "Interaction - Maintenance - TEST" interaction.

The second error is an odd one, too; the game was calculating some values regarding a magazine that was being put in the rack (during an autonomous "clean up books" interaction); but the magazine somehow vanished before the calculation was completed: possibly, the sim "jumped" due to another cause, thus losing the magazine in his hand.

so far, I couldn't replicate neither of your errors; let's keep our eyes open Please keep posting here other logs and news about this.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#97 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 5:17 PM
Nothing to report, no errors since then. I'm sorry that I bothered you, it seems like it was my fault only.
Test Subject
#98 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 6:13 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Bless you for doing this - it is so needed!
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
#99 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:59 PM
Awesome rack! I had to make my Sims turn down any magazine offer because of the space limits on their lots.

Great work!!
Field Researcher
#100 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 10:40 PM
This is brilliant! I get SO sick of books lying around everywhere...
Page 4 of 11