Replies: 474 (Who?), Viewed: 157436 times.
Page 18 of 19
Lab Assistant
#426 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 7:00 PM
Thank you @Bur1440 and @joandsarah77! I appreciate the input. Even with the sale, the price of the packs is a bit too steep for my wallet so I think I'll hold off for longer until I think it's worth it to spend the money. I'm still having plenty of fun with TS2 Perhaps I'll splurge on Inquisition instead...

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Test Subject
#427 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 6:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
You probably wouldn't like it on an HP Omen either! All I ever wanted after Sims 2 was an expanded Sims 2 as I loved it, with better play, Sims looks' and opportunities and all I liked in Sims 3 was CAS recolouring and wasted much of my time on it. I have tried it on a gaming computer and it still has bad programming errors. I liked World Adventures and it went downhill from there, for me anyway. Now we are advised not to install all the packs for better play. That marks a badly made game in my opinion.


Sims 4 is getting better as it goes along, given that engine that gets complained about continually and EA's marketing practices which I deplore. I doubt that I would buy a Sims 5 though.


A lot of TS3 players don't pay attention to the advice to load only a few packs at a time. That's just a suggestion after all, not mandatory! TS3 was just too way ahead for it's time, but the newer computers have finally caught up to TS3's requirements. There is a resurgence of renewed interest in TS3 which has become profitable for EA. This is why the general attitude toward it in the official Sims forums has changed and Sims Gurus are actually encouraging people to buy and play it.

I only have a mid-range Dell all-in-one from 2014 and TS3 runs great on it (even with the Island Paradise EP which is my absolute favorite!). I do optimize the computer though, but it's not just for TS3.

So far TS4 hasn't given me any reason to buy it, but I'm waiting for TS5. Hopefully it will be a combination of TS2 (mechanics and detailed animations) and TS3 (open world, CASt, unpredictable events, everything is textured unlike TS4).
Field Researcher
#428 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 6:04 PM
Sims 1: I only tried base game. It was a bit boring after a while and I couldn't figure out many things. Things happened slowly, or I don't know. There are too few objects.

Sims 2: Since I played it since I was 6 (2005-2006), this is the most played game in my lifetime. I did many random things with it, I would play it most of the time if I was on the computer when I was a kid. Overall, it is a nice game. Nostalgy and what not...therefore it is the original for me. It has its own things which makes it unique. I can't emphasize what, it just has an unique atmosphere. Also I think it is the best for "legacies" and "world building". It is the game which has funny stuff and I can make random glitchy stuff and there is a wide range of cheats. But without CC it is not good for me. Because most of the clothes do not suit my preferred style. xD Like most of the pants have sandals, which I don't really like. And it needs more long and thicker hair, and bangs. Furniture are the most okay. So I use CC, but not too many, that makes the game slow.

Same with Sims 3: it has an unique atmosphere. It is also very enjoyable! I can never be bored in Sims 3. It is laggy sometimes, but still enjoyable. Usually I played with story progression and aging off. Usually I had just one active family PER SAVE, or maximum 4. I mean I didn't switch really back and forth between families, I kept playing with one, or as I said, maximum 4. Or I did make more, dropped them somewhere, but I did not really care about what they do, they were for "making the town colorful", because they were "themed families". Open world, create a style, moodlets are what makes it unique. And for me World Adventures was special, I spent most of the time exploring tombs...Gardening, doing random things with my sims and collecting gems. Wandering around town and encontering different stuffs are nice. If it does get boring, I spice up things a bit, like I invite some of my sim's friends for an outing and hosting parties.

Sims 4: I have no idea about Vampires pack and everything after that. It also has its own uniqueness, but is is also boring after a while, like Sims 1. The CAS is very good (especially the many jewelry and I can put hats on any hair), but I also miss create a style and sliders and better hairs (it"s just "clay hair" xD). I also think it is a step back from Sims 3, but it also has its own goodness. However what I dislike the most is that when I speed up things, it does not really speeds up anything, because they just stand aimlessly, even though they are supposed to be completing many tasks, but they just wait for the nothing between each interaction. And I can't customize the neighborhood. But it is good that even without CC it is highly customizable, because I can give them anything from any outfit category.

Sims 2 and Sims 3 (I can't decide) > Sims Stories > Sims 4 > Sims 1.
Field Researcher
#429 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 10:51 PM Last edited by Liza : 29th Jul 2018 at 11:36 PM.
Looking for the answer to the question: Why Sims 4 is similar to Sims 2, I found this here :





Yes, this game is very similar (sarcasm). Abstracting from the knowledge about these games, you can confuse which one came out in 2004 and which one in 2014.
Mad Poster
#430 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 5:01 PM

The History Of The Sims

Sims 1 vs Sims 2 vs Sims 3 vs Sims 4

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#431 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 7:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza
Looking for the answer to the question: Why Sims 4 is similar to Sims 2, I found this here :





Yes, this game is very similar (sarcasm). Abstracting from the knowledge about these games, you can confuse which one came out in 2004 and which one in 2014.

You know you had done something wrong if the textures from a game from 10 years ago from the time Sims 4 came out somehow looks way more detailed and realistic then a game from 2014.
Field Researcher
#432 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 6:41 PM
I think they focused on something else while making Sims 4, because they wanted the brand new new features. But everyone knows that. Why am I making a comment, then? xD

I'd also like to say that I find super objects and furniture in all games. What do you think about the furnitures, I mean... not the texture detail, but the overall design and style.

Sims 1: I don't know.

Sims 2: I like many things. Compared to other games, I think, this has the best floor designs. And the furnitures! Like the furniture collections. I know that the country stuff from Seasons made it into the Sims 3 base game. I also like the beddings. Well, the whole furniture stuff are nostalgic.

Sims 3: Create-a-style spiced up everything! The combinations are endless. I think compared to Sims 2, there are less wallpapers, but the create-a-style compensated that. My favourite furnitures are from the Supernatural. There are nice stuff in the base game, but not so great. But with create-a-style, it is very cool.

Sims 4: There are nice furnitures too. But the color combinations are not always good. Like there are nice victorian chairs, but most of the light pillowed chairs have a dark wood frame. That is not aesthetically pleasing for me. xD :/ But overall, I like the beddings and the shape of some furniture, like these victorian ones, even if their color combinations are not always good. There are nice wallpapers, too, but sometimes they are just not enough. :/ The floral wallpapers are nice. The others are just meh.

For fun I made a house from Sims 2 in Sims 3.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#433 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 9:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidconqueror
You know you had done something wrong if the textures from a game from 10 years ago from the time Sims 4 came out somehow looks way more detailed and realistic then a game from 2014.


This was done for the graphic style of the game and for it to work on the weakest computers. But I think Sims 2 graphics were made to surprise people with the detail of what surrounds the Sims. Although I was really curious why the game looks like this.
Test Subject
#434 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 9:01 AM Last edited by Elara : 17th Aug 2018 at 12:59 PM.
No opinion on TS1 since I haven't played it in a decade.

TS2 was great, I can't go into depth but it was definitely the shining point for the series. It always took up most of my time on the computer and it was time well spent.

Ambivalent on TS3, the Open World feature is the only thing I genuinely disliked because it could strain your computer (especially when you couldn't afford a high-end PC), lag your game, crash your game and give you an error when saving so that's your play time and work all down the drain, I didn't like the Sims Store either, most of the stuff on there was expensive and should've been in the expansions/stuff packs. Upside, I loved the Story Progression (when modded by Nraas) and TS3 Supernatural was, in my opinion, the best iteration for a Supernatural expac. The game had a lot, but a lot was overpriced.

I'm also ambivalent with TS4, I like it better than 3 because there's no godawful Open World and I like the art style better in 4 but one thing is that it's not "finished" yet in terms of content that TS2 and TS3 had. The game packs were also a greedy decision. A lot of the content for game packs should've be in the expacs.
Scholar
#435 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza
This was done for the graphic style of the game and for it to work on the weakest computers. But I think Sims 2 graphics were made to surprise people with the detail of what surrounds the Sims. Although I was really curious why the game looks like this.

I could understand that but I like the Sims 2 graphics way better even though it's old. I'm just not a big fan of the way Sims 4 looks and I prefer Sims 2 over 3 in so many ways than one. I know that it's a stylistic choice that's done to work better on weaker lower end computers but how in the world does a game from 2004 possibly blow a game from 2014 from out of the water?
Mad Poster
#436 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 5:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidconqueror
I could understand that but I like the Sims 2 graphics way better even though it's old. I'm just not a big fan of the way Sims 4 looks and I prefer Sims 2 over 3 in so many ways than one. I know that it's a stylistic choice that's done to work better on weaker lower end computers but how in the world does a game from 2004 possibly blow a game from 2014 from out of the water?


Whats interesting is many of the textures in the game are 1024, which may not be the best, they're still an acceptable standard. But the over-cartoon-like-ness ruins the quality.

Oh Well. I still wonder what happened to the meshes rather than the textures because textures typically are designed to fit a game's art style. But meshes are supposed to be designed to fit current technological computing power. How'd we go from a 2000 poly sofa (average TS2 mesh) to a block of 500 polies is beyond me. You'd think by now a sofa mesh would be at least 5000 average.

In this context, there's no disrespect ...We got five minutes for us to disconnect
Let's get retarded in here.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#437 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 5:44 AM
Here is a nicely done new Sims 2 CC couch. http://modthesims.info/d/621880/samui-lounge-set.html
If you use each end, a middle and 2 lots of throw pillows it equals 3980. I don't think it needs 5000 to look good, but certainly way more than 500. Take off the pillows and it's just under 3000. This is how TS2 still holds up its graphics quality.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#438 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 6:33 AM
Shouldn't have to download CC to have a good quality sofa mesh. Just sayin'.

In this context, there's no disrespect ...We got five minutes for us to disconnect
Let's get retarded in here.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#439 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 6:56 AM
That's sims 2 CC not 4 and no I don't have to download to get great meshes, sims 2 already has great meshes. Most of us love CC simply because we are bored of the game options, especially after 14 years!
I was just showing how many poly's it had to look good.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#440 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 7:13 AM
I get it.

In this context, there's no disrespect ...We got five minutes for us to disconnect
Let's get retarded in here.

Field Researcher
#441 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 4:45 PM Last edited by Liza : 11th Jan 2019 at 5:08 PM.
It's not just polygons but also textures. If you're on high-poly mesh set vague texture, it will look bad. Sims 2 has a very good quality texture, besides on that it has resolution from 512px to 1024px. How did the developers do this? This is the work of artists who tried to paint them so that they looked realistic under different game lighting. Always when, after a long break, I go into the game, my first reaction: wow, the game is so clearly and detailed.







This is my small recreation of bluffs from Sims 4 Winderburg. It seems to me that in Sims 2 it looks very good despite the fact that the game is 14 years old.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#442 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 2:58 PM
I've gone back to Sims 3, because I want to play all my sims. With Sims 4, when a sim goes to work or travels to a park, the other sims in the household pretty much vegetate. You can cue them up to read books, clean up, etc but as soon as you follow one sim the others just do what they want like a class of kindergartners left unsupervised.

I like being able to fill one sim up in a household, click the next sim and give them things to do, and even focus on Sim Bob while viewing Sim Charlie's stats.

Sims 3 has a reason for playing aliens - they can stay up all night and do things. Sims 4? Aliens are a waste of time.

Sims 4 did vampires much better than Sims 3, I'll give it that.

Sims are better than us.
Field Researcher
#443 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremily_
I think all the sims look the same (that also goes for TS4)


Really? That' the one thing that brought me to TS4-the fact that the Sims can vary drastically. Although yeah, Sims 3 sims were awful, no matter what I tried they all looked like they had the same round faces. I was a total TS2 lover, still am. But the husband bought me all the EP's/SP's etc when they were half price in December and I downloaded to my laptop. I like it, but I miss my TS2 stuff. I had so much CC, and i loved it all. There doesn't seem to be even a 1/3 of the amount for TS4 4 years later. I've found myself starting to recolour TS4 stuff using my TS2 textures :haha: (you'reall too young to remember my TS2 CC days) I'm getting a new sparkly laptop next week and I hear that my beloved TS2 won't run on it and I'm kinda devastated, I was going to donate my PC to my nephew, but I can't bear to now as I don't want to lose my TS2.

TS1 was the gateway game-got me hooked! TS3 was ok, and I liked the Openworld and CasT and my PC ran it fine. TS4 came out just after I went back to work after my maternity leave so never had time for it and I find the relationships are far too easy to make, I can have 2 sims be soul mates on one date. My daughter is now 5 going on 15 and has nooo time for me O_O so I started playing TS4 on my laptop in front of the TV, I can't wait till she can read better and I can introduce her to them properly.

So, all in all, I first called TS4 "TS1.5" but now I have CC and all the EP's, I'm liking it better, but its still not TS2. Hopefully if there is a TS5, they will actually read the forums and listen to the community and not just 1 demographic
Field Researcher
#444 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 3:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxybaby
Really? That' the one thing that brought me to TS4-the fact that the Sims can vary drastically. Although yeah, Sims 3 sims were awful, no matter what I tried they all looked like they had the same round faces. I was a total TS2 lover, still am. But the husband bought me all the EP's/SP's etc when they were half price in December and I downloaded to my laptop. I like it, but I miss my TS2 stuff. I had so much CC, and i loved it all. There doesn't seem to be even a 1/3 of the amount for TS4 4 years later. I've found myself starting to recolour TS4 stuff using my TS2 textures :haha: (you'reall too young to remember my TS2 CC days) I'm getting a new sparkly laptop next week and I hear that my beloved TS2 won't run on it and I'm kinda devastated, I was going to donate my PC to my nephew, but I can't bear to now as I don't want to lose my TS2.

TS1 was the gateway game-got me hooked! TS3 was ok, and I liked the Openworld and CasT and my PC ran it fine. TS4 came out just after I went back to work after my maternity leave so never had time for it and I find the relationships are far too easy to make, I can have 2 sims be soul mates on one date. My daughter is now 5 going on 15 and has nooo time for me O_O so I started playing TS4 on my laptop in front of the TV, I can't wait till she can read better and I can introduce her to them properly.

So, all in all, I first called TS4 "TS1.5" but now I have CC and all the EP's, I'm liking it better, but its still not TS2. Hopefully if there is a TS5, they will actually read the forums and listen to the community and not just 1 demographic

As for round faces: sliders.



And I agree with the person who says also in Sims 4 characters tend to look identical. In Sims 2 it’s the art style doing it, in Sims 3 the lack of proper facial bone structure and in Sims 4 it’s the facial expressions.
Field Researcher
#445 Old 4th Mar 2019 at 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Anne
As for round faces: sliders.



And I agree with the person who says also in Sims 4 characters tend to look identical. In Sims 2 it’s the art style doing it, in Sims 3 the lack of proper facial bone structure and in Sims 4 it’s the facial expressions.


I tried, I really tried, I'm just rubbish at making Sims! I could never get mine to look like that I probably should've downloaded some more sliders. I'm finding TS4 much easier for diversity though.
Field Researcher
#446 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxybaby
I tried, I really tried, I'm just rubbish at making Sims! I could never get mine to look like that I probably should've downloaded some more sliders. I'm finding TS4 much easier for diversity though.

In CAS most definitely, Sims 3 CAS has its flaws (mainly facial bone structure is really lacking). I don't have CC sliders in my game by the way. But I must say I find sims in Sims 4 also quite identical, mainly caused by their facial animations. This effect:

Forum Resident
#447 Old 10th Apr 2019 at 6:59 PM
I'm actually about to try playing the Sims 4 one more time. I've had the game, plus Get to Work and Outdoor Retreat, but literally only have 11 hours of game play. I decided to look at it as a spin off and not a true sequel so I can maybe enjoy it. Plus I know a lot of things have been added on for free through patches. I'm hoping this makes a difference. If so then I'll invest in other expansions and packs, if not, I'll humbly go back to my Sims 3 world and all of it's content. I'm keeping a open mind.
Theorist
#448 Old 13th May 2019 at 6:07 PM
I've never played TS4, never wanted to after looking at it after it came out but have played all the other three and most of the expansion packs. I ended up not being able to play Sims at all for a couple of years but most recently I was playing TS3 but my desktop computer has a problem with its graphics card right now so I decided to install TS2 on my laptop. It's been there for almost a month now but I haven't really played it much because I've been sorting out CC and mods (I had backed all this stuff up when I uninstalled it after a computer upgrade years ago) and getting used to the various aspects of it all over again. One of the reasons I decided to reinstall is because to my mind one of the best expansion packs ever made was Open For Business and although it has its own good features TS3 could just never touch that. However I'm finding there are so many things about TS3 I think stand head and shoulders above TS2 and much of it has to do with CASt and the open world. I always thought CASt was such a pain in the rear because it took me forever to build and decorate something. I never realized just how much time and trouble I was being saved from having to try to track down CC or make something to do what I wanted. I'm also having a devil of a time in Build Mode in TS2--I did not remember things like how a modular staircase can't be placed near a wall and a lot of other things like that.

I still like babies and toddlers better in TS2. I still like the way Sims look in TS2 better than in TS3 (they always looked so great in CAS, but then just looked bad in the world view) and the TS2's hairs are done so much better. I still like that I have all the walls and floors I made for TS2. On the other hand Bon Voyage has to be one of the most lackluster things I've ever seen. I wasn't keen on some of the limitations and dungeon crawling in WA but I declare, I never ran out of things for my Sims to do on their vacations there. I've a pretty darned good imagination but absolutely cannot find enough for my TS2 Sims to do on vacation to justify going (those secret lots really just aren't all that), and the one couple I took on a honeymoon ended up stuck there so I had to go back to the regular neighborhood, load up another family, teleport them in, move them in, then go back and delete the vacation 'hood, then move them back into their home. Then of course they didn't get any of their vacation perks. That's just nuts.

Mostly as I play TS2 I find myself thinking, "Oh, they did this SO much better in TS3!" I'll continue on with trying to get back into TS2, at least for a while, and try to make my neighborhood seem as alive and vibrant as my Sims 3 towns do but that's just because circumstances don't right now allow me to replace the video card in my old desktop PC. Otherwise I'd go back to what I had been doing those years ago, which was totally enjoying a Prosperity Challenge and finishing up my world.
Instructor
#449 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 7:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty_2004
Mostly as I play TS2 I find myself thinking, "Oh, they did this SO much better in TS3!" I'll continue on with trying to get back into TS2, at least for a while, and try to make my neighborhood seem as alive and vibrant as my Sims 3 towns do but that's just because circumstances don't right now allow me to replace the video card in my old desktop PC. Otherwise I'd go back to what I had been doing those years ago, which was totally enjoying a Prosperity Challenge and finishing up my world.


It's great that you mentioned all this. I'm actually thinking of going back to TS2 for awhile. I think I will! Most of the cc I look for and actually find is for TS2. I keep hoping for conversions, and there are some, but I'd love to revisit that world!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#450 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 8:51 AM
@Simorph If you don't have Sims 2 running now, be sure to check out the sticky thread on the Sims 2 help board on the 4gb patch, graphic rules and standby memory. These are pretty much a given on most new systems to get the game to run properly and looking good, especially if you want to use cc sky, water and other texture mods.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 18 of 19
Back to top