Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
It means OP didn't want a discussion, they wanted agreement.

Yeah, while I don't get some1 being perplexed about hearing lots of "no" instead in your favour (like since they ASKED), I do think ppl abit overreacting to the "debbie downers here xD" comment. It's an underwhelimg label and we all know it's not gonna change our taste for a pack in any way. Slightly harmfum, yes, but why care?

P.S. BTW People should look it as a positive thing that others won't agree with you. If I ask in my friend group "do you like the ice cream I'm enjoying?", I shouldn't mind that other in my group find them repulsive or bland. People should cherish the difference of being a diverse individual, with a preference/opinion that clash with yours Debbie downers or not, you can find and share the excitement with other ppl that do show the same enthusiasm over the product yall looking forward

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Yeah, while I don't get some1 being perplexed about hearing lots of "no" instead in your favour (like since they ASKED), I do think ppl abit overreacting to the "debbie downers here xD" comment.

Simply put, IMO, the original poster just posted this on the wrong site as a "test subject" somewhat forum newbie? This is not the place/audience if one wants to hear a rush of positive things about 4. If the EP thread had been read at all the reaction would have been known.

And posting a new thread about an EP generally is not done. Again, it seems like the poster is not that familiar with these forums.
Forum Resident
#28 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 10:15 PM
^ The thing about MTS compared to something like the OF is that comments aren't so heavily moderated here that you can't even say what's on your mind. If things get out of hand or off topic here, that's one thing. But generally, no one's gonna give you crap here for feeling a certain way. Might heavily disagree with you, but I'm not gonna tear somebody apart for liking TS4, that's just silly.

Now, just to compare the difference in atmosphere between the two. You make a thread here asking are people excited about X. You might get 15 different opinions and different ranges of positive and negative comments, but nothing inherently flamey usually. Then we have the OF, where anything less than a "TS4 Positivity Thread - Best Game EVAR!!!" thread will be deleted for being "flamebait". You put forward the opinion that TS4 has some flaws that need to be addressed, an objective statement, and 30 people come out of the woodwork to say you're being too harsh on the devs who you pay to make the content and should be glad at all about any scraps you get.

It's all in what you want. You want honest opinions and thoughtful discussion, stay here. You want an echo chamber, stick to the OF. Simple.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
^ The thing about MTS compared to something like the OF is that comments aren't so heavily moderated here that you can't even say what's on your mind. If things get out of hand or off topic here, that's one thing. But generally, no one's gonna give you crap here for feeling a certain way. Might heavily disagree with you, but I'm not gonna tear somebody apart for liking TS4, that's just silly.

Many people in this world love 4 and darn near all about it. That is not found here we know. I like some things about 4 very much and some things I totally, totally, totally dislike. I think we here look at the game with a critical eye. When we think things are well done we say so. And when not, we say that also. And I would rather have that than a kumbaya let's all hold hands and love it atmosphere.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 5:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I think we here look at the game with a critical eye. When we think things are well done we say so. And when not, we say that also. And I would rather have that than a kumbaya let's all hold hands and love it atmosphere.

This exactly.
Blind positivity creeps me out.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 9:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Many people in this world love 4 and darn near all about it. That is not found here we know. I like some things about 4 very much and some things I totally, totally, totally dislike. I think we here look at the game with a critical eye. When we think things are well done we say so. And when not, we say that also. And I would rather have that than a kumbaya let's all hold hands and love it atmosphere.

Yeah I like CAS and the good possibilities to build really nice houses. I'm not fond about the many bugs, which never seems to be fixed, and sometimes the stupid and childish gameplay that the game offers. I miss the goofiness and the fun tweaks that especially Sims 1 and Sims 2 had.

"Black is such a happy color" - Morticia Addams
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 10:48 AM
If you came to this forum expecting positivity, I'm afraid you're in the wrong place.

Most of the people here are old, cynical pessimists, at least concerning The Sims. Not without good reason, however.
The Sims 4, in it's six and half of years of release, has consistently failed to release expansion packs up to the standards of the ones made for the previous games.
The packs are at best good, but still pale in comparison to previous games' packs.

I am, however, rather looking forward to this one, what's shown in the trailer seems to be quite interesting.
We'll just have to see how much depth the gameplay has, and I am personally not expecting much.

BagelTheDog, Village Idiot.

"What a fool you are, I'm a god! How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence! How could you be so naive?" - Dagoth Ur.
"AAAAHHH... I'm burning in hell, the demons are poking me with their pitchforks! Help me!" - Margaret Thatcher (hopefully).
Mad Poster
#33 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 11:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dark_Devious_Fox
So many Debbie downers here xD

Debbies gonna down. It's what we do.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Field Researcher
#34 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 2:09 PM Last edited by dikosay : 15th Jun 2021 at 2:21 PM.
When I first bought The Sims 4, it had already been out for a couple of years or more. Hence, several GPs, EPs and SPs had also been issued. With the experience I'd had with Sims 1, 2 and 3 I KNEW there was definitely something wrong, so, like a little fool, I went on a buying spree to get the supplemental packs thinking that the game would improve (in other words, bugs would be fixed, necessary stuff would be added, etc.) The game depressed me. I thought I was the only one. I came to ModTheSims looking for mods to fix the game. I came across this Forum, and learned that I wasn't the only one who thought 4 was crap.

I agree, this is not necessarily a forum for lovers of 4. Nor is it for the weak-hearted. The truth about The Sims, Maxis and EA is told here. It takes an open mind to appreciate that.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#35 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dark_Devious_Fox
So many Debbie downers here xD

Yes. Obviously it's wise to choose where to post based on the type of replies you prefer Can I steer you to the EA official Sims forums?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#36 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 9:15 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 17th Jun 2021 at 9:57 PM.
Considering I've been called Spawn of Satan from people that didn't agree with me around here, Debbie Downer doesn't even come close to that. LMAO! We live in a world where if people don't agree, instead of discussing it, people fling insults because that always changes minds, NOPE!

I agree that the world would be a very boring place if everybody agreed about everything all of the time. I'm sure not everybody agreed with the Wright Brothers when they wanted to invent the first airplane or Thomas Edison when he wanted to invent the light bulb, or anything else for that matter. People got over it and moved on; same will happen with this pack.

Not to be pedantic, but the Wright Brothers didn't single-handedly invent the airplane. They built off preexisting attempts at flying machines (There was a massive push and grant money to make one the preceding decades) to make theirs work. Technology is an iterative process...

More importantly, Thomas Edison straight up didn't invent the light bulb. Or much of anything for that matter. Great man theory is nonsense. In the case of lightbulbs, they already existed in a primative form, but would burn out too quick to be commercially viable. Making them commercially viable is all Edison did, and even then it was his workers that found the right formula for the longlasting filament, not he himself. Edison's only interest was money and his contribution to society was making them pay through the teeth for any innovation he could be the first to snag, and destroying and slandering technologies he couldn't out compete or control... Which feels quite familiar...

Anyways, the merits of individuality stand on their own without pulling out the tired great man tropes...
Forum Resident
#37 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 10:23 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 17th Jun 2021 at 10:57 PM.
And yet you went out of your way to contribute to the "great man tropes" while saying nothing about the pack that is being discussed. The joys of twisting things out of context...

Contributing? By pointing out they are nonsense??? Ya lost me... I'm gonna assume you don't even know what Great Man Theory is from that, because if you did, you'd know how nonsensical that statement is. Also, criticism of the way one presents a point is in no way twisting things out of context. It is pointing out that you could present your points better without feeding into bad philosophies. Literally just a heads-up.

Also, bish pls. This thread isn't even supposed to exist. There is an entire thread for the purpose of discussing expansions. I'm gonna have fun with it if I want, because it is entirely redundant. At least my post is thematically relevant seeing how that philosophy is tangentially related to why EA gets away with the kinda nonsense that has brought us here, through the systems such ideas prop up, and now some history has been learned by some people.
Test Subject
#38 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 7:20 PM
It looks OK. I've learned to not get too excited with Sims things ever since The Sims 2. Or EA in general. This way if something truly awesome comes around (split levels or alternating foundation levels) I'll be elated enough to go on a Sims bender for a while.

Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
I cannot imagine anyone out there with the name of Debbie takes kindly to such insensitive, stereotypical pigeon-holing. Have a care.

She's Karen's older sister, I assume.
Forum Resident
#39 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Eehna
This exactly.
Blind positivity creeps me out.

It really looks like a typical stockholm syndrome caused by narcissists. (in this case EA). Or perhaps a very severe lack of judgment in addition to total disinterest in a good simulation. They are like small children who are easily fooled with bright colors and a totally deceptive trailer. (Although I can't understand it, when I was little I was very critical and people who like sims tend to pay attention to details)

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Yes. Obviously it's wise to choose where to post based on the type of replies you prefer Can I steer you to the EA official Sims forums?

I just remembered that whenever I look for a solution of the sims in google and I get some result from that disgusting official forum, nobody knows anything about anything and all the solutions they give are wrong. LOL
Scholar
#40 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
I just remembered that whenever I look for a solution of the sims in google and I get some result from that disgusting official forum, nobody knows anything about anything and all the solutions they give are wrong. LOL

This is so true. To quote a great individual: "Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away..." Grassland full of plums, though, so there's that. You don't go away with nothing.

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Forum Resident
#41 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims

My personal favorite is seeing someone get told "No, YOU'RE wrong." and getting asked "How could you possibly know more than people who make the game?"

There's also a sizable amount of people over at the OF who apparently consider mods "cheating" and so they don't play with them. Wut?

Forum Resident
#42 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 5:05 PM
I did not know that making my sims less obsessed with things like rocking chairs, stereos and sprinklers was considered cheating. LMAO! I will sing the praises of the NRAAS 'Gods" until the end of time. They have saved my sanity for probably far longer than many on the OF that play TS4.

Right? Like, I can understand the point some people say about it being confusing to install and keep them updated. I don't personally think it is, but I also realize another person might not be as tech savvy either so I don't hold that against them.

But when someone specifically refers to mods being "cheating", all I can think of to say in response is "You do realize this is a single player offline game with no predetermined goals (before TS4 that is), right?" What exactly is there to "cheat" at? Might as well find out how to disable the testingcheats at that point, hey those are cheats too. And they come with the game!

Field Researcher
#43 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 6:11 PM
There's also a sizable amount of people over at the OF who apparently consider mods "cheating" and so they don't play with them.

Meanwhile: The ingame dust bunnies gives the player thousands of simoleons in the form of Jungle Adventure treasures.

Not "cheaty" at all.
Instructor
#44 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 1:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MoonFeather
I've been wanting an expansion like this since launch and now we're finally getting one and it has llamas even! =o

Yes,Im exited!

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#45 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 6:16 AM
There was a stream about the cottage living expansion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGnkwx_e8eo
Field Researcher
#46 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 9:34 AM
My personal favorite is seeing someone get told "No, YOU'RE wrong." and getting asked "How could you possibly know more than people who make the game?"

There's also a sizable amount of people over at the OF who apparently consider mods "cheating" and so they don't play with them. Wut?

For me it is: if there wasn't any mods to download I probably wouldn't have played the game. Mods do it all

"Black is such a happy color" - Morticia Addams
Instructor
#47 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 1:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

It's clear the Debbie Downers have taken over the threads here. Did it start like that or are you attempting to cancel others out? You all depend on EA/Maxis after all.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
It's clear the Debbie Downers have taken over the threads here. Did it start like that or are you attempting to cancel others out? You all depend on EA/Maxis after all.

I assume you mean we wouldn't have a forum if EA/Maxis hadn't made The Sims. OK. We wouldn't have ModTheSims site if EA/Maxis hadn't made The Sims.

So - EA/Maxis made The Sims, and it's here we talk about it. We all have free will. We don't have to like the game just because EA/Maxis made it and we got a Forum to talk about it. We don't have to praise Llamas and dust bunnies just because EA/Maxis made a game and we got a Forum to talk about it. Indeed, a person does not have to drive a Chevy just because GM made it. But if they do, they don't have to like it, and do have the right to complain if they don't without having to be called some kind of name because of it.

If you like The Sims 4, great. If you like Cottage Living, great. I don't have to like neither if I don't want. And just because I criticize them don't not mean I have to be some kind of Debbie Downer (whatever the f**k that means) any more than you have to be some kind of holy roller for EA/Maxis just because you do.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Forum Resident
#49 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 3:55 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 11th Jul 2021 at 1:42 AM.

I depend on nothing from EA. What kind of statement is that? We're not talking about water supply for a third world country. It's a game. And if TS5 ends up like TS4, guess what? That still doesn't mean I have to buy it.

Everyone that posts in these types of threads has backed up their points with solid reasoning. Nobody here has ever "canceled" anyone out for difference of opinion. I always make a point of saying I'll never put anyone down for enjoying the game. If they like it and get enjoyment out of it, fine.

But the way the OP came in here and started calling everyone who didn't agree with his initial question a "Debbie Downer" and the way you're backing it up shows a distinct lack of being able to handle criticism. If you equate every difference of opinion different to yours in life as someone being a Debbie Downer just for not being overwhelmingly and sickeningly positive about something, then why acknowledge it in the first place?

Inge mentioned the OF because it's literally an echo chamber where nobody says anything remotely critical of the game at all. If you don't like the real opinions being shared here and would rather have blind approval, post there. Simple.

Mad Poster
#50 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 5:54 PM

...This was sarcasm right?

The Receptacle still lives!
Page 2 of 3