Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2024 at 3:42 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How can I find out which meshes and recolors are related and recognize the original names of the files?
Is there any program that allows you to check which meshes and recolors are related and recognize the original file names? I'm just downloading collections of rare CC content for Sims 2 and building my collection.
It’s just that when scanning downloaded objects with Delphy’s Download Organizer, catalog descriptions often indicate Recolour fo SimPE, which makes me puzzle over what this or that recolor or retexture is for.
But there is another problem: I constantly come across files that have a bunch of numbers instead of names (for example, 3913e936813b76559d7c008cdf19f377_0001.package or 3913e936813b76559d7c008cdf19f377.package).
How can I find out which meshes and recolors are related and recognize the original names of the files?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Mar 2024 at 4:02 PM
I haven't seen many downloads that are just numbers. Do you have any custom pets? For example, these are just numbers. https://modthesims.info/d/637696/ji...-stockings.html
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Mar 2024 at 8:08 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Mar 2024 at 8:21 PM.
It seems the default installer renames files (maybe not all, but some?), so if a lot or sim has been installed by someone using the default installer (for instance on a Mac) and then that person uploads a lot using those items, these will attach to the Sims2pack with those renamed random names. It's the only explanation I've got for how the files get renamed, because the Clean Installer doesn't do this (I think it adds something like "_0001" behind a file if you choose to keep a duplicate, but that's all).

The random-named files can be anything - a mesh, recolor, mod, etc. But they've (at some point) been part of a lot/sim upload, and they've had another name. There are a few exceptions, like walls/floors (and other non-edited Homecrafter files) which are named "[type]_[8digitHex].package" ("wall_c503f589.package"), and sim template files which are named "[8digitHex]_[8digitHex].package" ("3aefbe2c_d54b2678.package").

You can figure out some files with the Clean Installer, but I usually find the easiest way is through opening them in SimPE, at least if I want to be sure (and especially if I want to weed out mailbox/trashcan files in lot packs, since those can be tricky to recognize via texture alone). That way you can see all the parts of the file, plus in some cases see which item a recolor is for (the internal name). Can be a bit fiddly at times, though. I tend to use a mix of the two programs.

For finding original names, it depends on how nitpicky you are. Some people will just figure out what the files are/which ones belong together and then rename them to something sensible. Other people (like me) will track down the original files if possible.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2024 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Other people (like me) will track down the original files if possible.

How do I do this? Do I need any software besides DO and S2PCI?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Apr 2024 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Burinis
How do I do this? Do I need any software besides DO and S2PCI?

You may need SimPE, too.

As for tracking down the original CC files (if you want to find those), I try to find the name of the creator, set, or something else that can help with tracking down the originals - if I know a creator has a similar style, for instance. If I find a name or some other searchable terms, I use a mix of various sites (Google, graveyard, MTS, TSR, Booty, Simscave, Tumblr, and similar - depends on how old the items are, and where I'm most likely to find them). If I've exhausted all searches, I'll maybe post a WCIF (If I think it could be part of a set and it's something I really want to find).