Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 9:18 PM
Default Origin Wants Download of Game Already Installed
Could not figure out how to get this in help so hope someone knows what is going on.

PC at one location is ancient and has 4 on it. Just got paranormal and installed it on that with no problem even though have not played 4 there since I cannot remember when.

Laptop at this location has game and zillion packs installed in past and have not played 4 since maybe last June. Went to get Paranormal on this and Origin wants to download the whole Sims game again, 11 hours! Does Origin drop the things off if inactive a certain time? And if so why would PC be totally fine and I have this BS on this laptop?

Anyone else had this? And who knows if all past saves will be here or not? And is this just the base game and will it will want to re-download all else?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 1:12 AM
I encountered this when I attempted to use EA desktop instead of Origin. It wanted me to install the game already installed. I decided against it, not wanting my time wasted and concerned about overwriting my files.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 1:28 AM
I just put a copy of my docs on my desktop. I am wondering, if it is downloading patches actually? But 11 hours of them????? I am very behind as did not get Eco, Batuu, Snowy, and maybe some others. Last was Univ I think. Maybe it is playing catch up for a bunch of them?

It is odd though that the PC had no issue with this at all.
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 12:52 PM
Origin doesn't deal with downloads as it has done in years past. I have no problem as I've kept up with the changes with Sims 4 but it now asks me where I want to download a new game to. It probably wants to download your old stuff to where it wants them all to be now. It's constantly changing things.

I downloaded SimCity4 again on my new laptop and now cannot put any mods in it with their download version whereas I could on the old laptop with an older Origin version. That sort of thing.
One Minute Ninja'd
#5 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 1:19 PM
It wans to downloads of all the packs t bring th version up to date to work with Paranormal. Every patch up to the present 1.70.something or other has to be applied. It sounds like you haven't payed or certainly patched in a long time.

What kind of connection are you using? If it's a decent broadband it will be nowhere near 11 hours. That estimate given is because it hasn't adjusted the time to download and give you more accurate real time estimate (which will probably be wrong anyway). I moved my game onto a new laptop with all the packs short of a few SP, and on a nt my favorite wfi network it only took a few hours, as in maybe 2-3.VMMV depending on your internet connection and how slow their servers are at the time. But 11 hours? Nah, it'll be done before that.
Scholar
#6 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 4:01 PM
It just sounds like it's lost it configuration files over time, it no longer sees where the game is installed, Normally you then click on a sub-menu you can select Locate Game. It doesn't hurt to try it anyway, because if it is there, It just does a checksum, comparing your files to the servers, all good then no download necessary..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 4:51 PM
It is taking the 11 but internet is slow here in small town. And it goes off now and then.

It keeps wanting to put 3 on, and NO, I have installed from my disks. Not going there. I always have to cancel that right away.