Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 7:12 AM
Default How to start a world with diving lots in CAW?
Hello,

I`m bored with Sims4 and just can't really fall in love with that game. So I thought maybe I could spice up my game experience from the good old Sims3 with a custom world, downloaded CAW again and started planning.

Than I found a tread that you need to start the world with diving lots, so that they actually work and look good as well. The y-Level should be 44, which I assume is -44. The problem is, that it's under the map.

I really would love to have the opportunity to experience every expansion pack in the game, so I'm willing to start from bottom up if necessary. Any advice/tutorial? I used the search the Forum already, but didn't find anything besides loads of difficulties like that the objects would be visible from above the water, that the diving lot would be useable, but if you scrolled a little out, it would go to the surface way too fast. Or that the surroundings would look odd.

I really would love to avoid all those things! Hopefully there isn't already a thread about it I missed.

Many thanks for sharing your kowledge! :lovestruc
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 9:37 AM
You can change the height of the sea among the buttons on the big button panel.

I'm on my phone now, but the recommended tutorial is the arc de triumph one. The water need to go to where the arc starts on the monument. You can google for the tutorial.

It's a good idea to start planning the world with the right height waterlevel.

... oh yes, you need to dig as far down as possible to put in your water areas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 3:54 PM Last edited by nixChips : 13th Dec 2018 at 4:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
You can change the height of the sea among the buttons on the big button panel.

I'm on my phone now, but the recommended tutorial is the arc de triumph one. The water need to go to where the arc starts on the monument. You can google for the tutorial.

It's a good idea to start planning the world with the right height waterlevel.

... oh yes, you need to dig as far down as possible to put in your water areas.

Thanks a lot. I still can't find that tutorial though. I report back if I'm sucessful. ...some time laaater: http://www.volvenomtullarask.com/se...-for-houseboats
Is it this? But it's About Houseboats and not diving lots.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nixChips
Thanks a lot. I still can't find that tutorial though. I report back if I'm sucessful. ...some time laaater: http://www.volvenomtullarask.com/se...-for-houseboats
Is it this? But it's About Houseboats and not diving lots.

Yes that's true, my mind isn't quite working these days. It has so much to think about poor thing. I built lots in my world Stranda, and at that time the experience was that if you had too low waterlevel in areas with divinglots, the sims could end up swimming higher than the water surface. I don't know how that is these days, but I think maybe @Norn might have some more recent experience to offer.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 6:39 PM
As Volvenom already said, you can change the sea level by using the Change Sea level button under the Terrain tab. The actual water height does depend of course not only on sea level but also on terrain height under water.

So, you can raise the water height either by lowering the terrain or by raising the sea level or a combination of both, of course. I hope the attached images help with the How-to.

For example, IP has very likely a world height of 300 and a water height of 27, the terrain underwater is lowered as much as possible (at least where dive lots are). You can see which water height your world has if you place a fish spawner. They should float at sea level and give you a rough idea of its height (Position Y). House boats and diving obviously works well in IP, so that would be a good starting point to experiment with those values.

I would use them with a pinch of salt though. They might work relative to world height (instead of absolute), so a value of 27 might be enough in one world but not in another. I never used them so I don't have much experience with them. What I do is, I export the world at a very early stage of creation after (very!) roughly sculpting mountains and valleys and increasing water height. Just add some lots (a dive spot, a port and at least one residental) and test diving and house boats in game. This way you also get a good idea how your world looks like in game, as it does look very different in CAW. You will be surprised how different it looks in game. Hills are mountains, slight slopes are hills. Distances seem very different.

Hope this makes some sense to you
Screenshots
Scholar
#6 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 3:09 AM
In addition to what the above creators have said, this is the tutorial I use to create dive lots: https://simsvip.com/sims-3-island-p...ting-dive-lots/. It's very helpful to start with the water as deep as possible, then add the dive lots. Try to avoid adjusting/smoothing the terrain around them afterward because it can be very tricky to repair "tears" or uneven lot edges on dive lots.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 10:04 AM
Thanks everyone!
Test Subject
#8 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 8:35 AM
... " Attention! This thread has not had a reply for 32 months. "
hum, i know but it's the first link when google my problem so .....

btw, i just end my first world and did some test and could not place diving zone, so mean is the same issue that's the op of this thread.

so for a "good" starting for build when create the map ,have to select the floor, put lower than possible, build the "arc de triomphe", put see lvl just upper this monument, delete it, than go back up the floor for terraforming.

is this correct ?
dodgy builder
#9 Old 26th Aug 2021 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by loyn
... " Attention! This thread has not had a reply for 32 months. "
hum, i know but it's the first link when google my problem so .....

btw, i just end my first world and did some test and could not place diving zone, so mean is the same issue that's the op of this thread.

so for a "good" starting for build when create the map ,have to select the floor, put lower than possible, build the "arc de triomphe", put see lvl just upper this monument, delete it, than go back up the floor for terraforming.

is this correct ?

The age of threads in this section isn't important. It's an old game after all, old knowledge for this game is often the best. People forget over time.

Yes, like many things in life it works best if you plan things on beforehand. Build the terrain and water level as the "Arc de Triumph" tutorial says and try to keep the terrain you make like that around your diving lots. I know it's difficult to think about everything, but that's the theory.
Test Subject
#10 Old 26th Aug 2021 at 7:07 PM
thx,