Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#126 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 6:53 PM
This is a fascinating challenge idea. I'm going to try it. I've started many challenges over the years but never managed to finish one. The closest I've come was with a challenge/playstyle I devised for myself which was very similar to this but in a different historical period. Sadly that game has become corrupted. But this type of play really pulls me in. I have rolled up my 7 families and they are as diverse as some of those described in this thread. Two heads of households are teens with a younger child to care for. One is six females with two male children. I noticed that the majority of aspirations were pleasure and knowledge except for the gentry who were all fortune except the squire himself who Is family. It promises to be very interesting.

I do have some questions. Where do I find the livestock? I have seen décor animals various places but I gathered that these animals actually produce offspring. And do the offspring grow up? I can see how the peasants can make a living from fishing and gardening and mining but not from the other 'professions'. And how do the Maxis careers fit in? Can peasants get those jobs at the beginning or only after the Settlement becomes a Hamlet?
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#127 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 4:17 AM Last edited by vllygrl : 1st Apr 2016 at 4:33 AM.
Hi hedgekat and welcome! So glad to hear you find the challenge interesting and have started it -- the families you rolled sound quite interesting and will definitely be a challenge to play, I have no doubt! As for your questions: I tend to use Rebecah's animals, you can search for them at Affinity Sims (here's the link to the chickens http://www.affinitysims.com/IPB/fil...mated-chickens/) but Plumbbob Keep now has some excellent crafting stations and animals too which have the added advantage of not being NPC's I believe, here is the link for the chickens: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...hp?f=240&t=7215. Yes, they produce offspring which actually grow up!

Peasants have to live off the Farming supplies for their specialty which they are allotted at the beginning and try to build up their holdings and income from that starting point, they can sell and barter with what they make or grow as well . . .

(see page 4: Sims in the Settlement must survive and make their living from their farm and what they can trade and barter until the Settlement converts to a Hamlet and the first Weekly Market Business Lot (Grocery) is unlocked. Sims must trade and barter for everything which they do not make or grow themselves, by using Give Gift, and may not buy anything from Buy Mode that is available to be bought from a Home or Community Business;

. . . and the chart on page 5 as well as the paragraph above it: Peasants must work at an agricultural-type Farming job or low-level Artisan Trade, (see table); although they are also allowed a "farm gate" business to sell their excess produce/livestock; only (1) 2-tile market table, (1) counter with (1) cash register and (1) "Open" sign are allowed for this very basic home business).

Hope this helps and that you enjoy playing this way! Love to see some pics of your families and hear how they get on!
Cheers, vllygrl

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Instructor
#128 Old 14th Apr 2016 at 1:50 AM
Since my first post I have been spending all my free time downloading medieval stuff. I'm basically building an all new downloads folder. And I keep finding more wonderful stuff to put in it. But there are a few things that I haven't found that I will need. I found a lot of horsedrawn vehicles for the NPCs but not one for the carpool. I plan on my squire being in the Knighthood career but I certainly don't want a car pulling up to carry him to work.

So where can I find a default for that? And how about default vehicles for the neighborhood view? I've found dirt roads but nothing to replace the cars on them.

There have been a lot of things that I wanted very badly, like Buggybooz's nooks and niches, but couldn't get them from Box. Also a lot of Sunni's things. Most of the links at Box do not work for me, sadly.
Scholar
#129 Old 14th Apr 2016 at 3:29 AM
Medieval Carpool replacements are HERE on MTS .
Neighborhood Replacements Vehicles are here on MTS .
The instructions from downloading from dead Box links is Here on PBK .

"If it's in you, it's got to come out."
Simblr
Instructor
Original Poster
#130 Old 14th Apr 2016 at 5:45 AM
Thank you, XiaXiang001, you beat me to it! I knew I'd seen those mods, but I would have had to search for them. Soooo much excellent cc -- medieval and otherwise!!! It's like candy, honestly!

The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Instructor
#131 Old 15th Apr 2016 at 4:59 AM
Thank both of you for those links. I now have the vehicles. I had seen that post on PBK before and couldn't figure out how to do it. Went back just now and read it again. Finally figured out what to paste and where and after three unsuccessful efforts, discovered what I was doing wrong and managed to download Sunni's NPC replacements. Now to see if I can get Buggybooz's things.

Another question. I fired up the game this morning to set up my neighborhood and begin creating my sims. I placed several of the lots I have downloaded to check them out. Then I went to CAS. None of the sims I downloaded showed up in the SimBin. What's more the Maxis sims did not appear correctly. Parts of their hair and scalps were white with Alphabet letters. All of their hands were colored like their clothing as if wearing gloves. Their clothing displayed strangely too, lower arms differently colored than upper arms and body, as though they had on a tunic. None of the custom clothing or hair I downloaded was available. I checked back in build and buy. Custom stuff was in those areas though I don't think all the buy items I downloaded were showing up.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here? I've never had this happen in any of my games before.
Instructor
Original Poster
#132 Old 15th Apr 2016 at 2:56 PM
Sounds like you are missing meshes for the clothing, hedgekcat. As far as the missing sims, check to see if you had all the required ep's and stuff packs. I'm not sure otherwise. Good luck!

Instructor
#133 Old 15th Apr 2016 at 10:25 PM
I've gotten the new sims to show up. I had forgotten how to install them properly. I've rarely used downloaded sims. But the clothes are still not showing up in the catalog. Not even the clothes the downloaded sims are wearing. And even the Maxis clothing is not displaying properly. Exposed skin anywhere on the body is picking up clothing colors. Bare legs look like they are wearing tights. This was the first time I've been in CAS since installing Ultimate Collection so I decided to check my old game. CAS worked perfectly there. I think it must be some bad content. So I took it all out except for what the downloaded sims are using. Will see what happens and put it back a bit at a time. Someday I WILL get to start this challenge.
Instructor
#134 Old 23rd Apr 2016 at 5:28 AM
Finally got my families made. I guess they will be camping in tents while the homes are being built, but at least I have them on their lots. I have selected the 5th century as my starting point, in Anglo-Saxon England, in the province of Wessex. Cynric, son of Cerdic Is the king. My "squire" is Wulfstan, a harl (army man or warrior). Under the king are the thanes and their families and under them several layers of free ceorls ( churls or carls),. Wulfstan is at the top level of these. At the bottom are free peasants, mostly poor. Under them are the thralls or slaves. Wulfstan is an elder man who was part of the home guard in the last war. His three elder sons and his one son-in-law were with the army and all perished. When the army returned and he realized his loss, he took to his bed and turned his face to the wall. His wife went to the king and begged him to give Wulfstan something to do that would restore his interest in life. They had one young son still living but too young to take over as head of the family. The king called Wulfstan in and asked him to help in extending the borders of the kingdom. The war that was so disastrous for the Harl family was a victory for Cynric. He lost many men but the enemy lost more so the kingdom had acquired the other kingdom. Now Cynric wanted to start new settlements. He asked Wulfstan to head one of these and promised if he were successful he would be a thane before he died. He also promised not to call the last son to battle as long as both Cynric and Wulfstan lived. So Wulfstan gathered his family and his followers, loaded all their belongings onto wagons and set off into the wilderness on the greatest adventure of their lives. From left to right in the pic below is daughter Adalbeorhta, wife Beorhtraed, youngest daughter Edgifu, grandson Gearhard, eldest daughter Eadda, Wulfstan and youngest son Cynric,(named after the king of course). I'll tell you about the other families later.
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#135 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 5:29 AM
Wow, hedgekat, love your backstory! You really took the time to think it through and it sets up your challenge beautifully. Your sims look great too and I can't wait to see and hear about your other families. Happy Simming!
Cheers,
vllygrl

Instructor
#136 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 5:07 AM
@vllygrl - During the time I have been struggling to get the game to work correctly I have been doing a lot of research and the more I find out the more I want to know.

Next are my yeoman familes. First is Halig, a 16 yo girl who is called Aelfwin (Elf-friend) or Elf-touched or just The Fey. She has always been a little different than other girls, always shirking her chores to run off to play in the meadows or woods. Unless her chores involved gardening or helping her father with the bees. (He was the local beekeeper) She was so good at that that she now has two hives of her own. At age 14 she took one of her afternoon wanders and didn't return for supper. Or bedtime. Her parents rousted out the neighbors and they searched the woods half the night, hallooing and cursing but ne'er a trace of her was found. Could she have been abducted? Surely if she had run afoul of some fierce beast, her body would have been found. Her mother wept for days and her father lamented his best helper. A week later she showed up for supper, surprised at the uproar her arrival caused, insisting she had only been gone a few hours. Finally she told the tale of her adventure. She had visited the Great Oak and there had seen small winged creatures. She had first thought them butterflies but on getting closer she had seen they were tiny people dressed in filmy draperies. She tried to catch one but they were quick to elude her, laughing with a tinkling sound and singing to her with ethereal voices as they led her deeper and deeper into the woods. Suddenly they emerged into a clearing where she saw a tall man, seeming to glow with an inner light. He told her he had many things to teach her. They walked and talked and sat and talked and time passed without notice as she learned many things. Finally he told her it was late and time for her to return home. Then he told her that in 9 months she would bear a child that would do great things for her people and that she would one day meet him again. Her parents listened to her tale with mouths agape. Her father responded with anger, her mother with tears. Her father accused her of running off with some man and trying to cover it up with this preposterous story. Her mother wailed that her dear daughter had completely lost her mind. At least parts of the story got around to the neighbors who laughed and shook their heads whenever they saw her. But 9 months later Halig gave birth to a son, that she named Rand (meaning shield). As she had grown larger, her father had become more and more angry. Finally he had told her to leave his house and go to her lover since she refused to reveal his name. Her mother wept again but her father was adamant. Halig actually went back to the Great Oak but no fairies were there and she had no memory of the route she had gone before. Not knowing what else to do she went to the only people who had not laughed at her these last month. Wulfgar Harl and his wife Beorhtraed. They listened quietly to her story and took her in. When Wulfgar decided to leave for his new settlement, he went to the Beekeeper and insisted he give Halig the hives she had earned and all else her position as his daughter entitled her to. Her father wanted to resist but her mother found her backbone and insisted he do what was right so Halig left town with bees, belongings and dowry as well as her growing son.

Also traveling are the Brewster/Kinehierde/Sceaphierde family. (There won't be any brewing to do till there's a good crop and someone has to see after the beasts) Head of the family is Ulfgar, a mature adult and his young second wife Carleas and their children, a son, Branhard, 5 and dgt Gillian, 2 Also with them are Ulfgar's two children from his first wife, Eadgar, 20 and Hugiet, 13. Eadgar will also be seeing after the settlement's horses. Not so much drama in this family though Eadgar us only 3 years younger than his stepmother and women are going to be scarce where they are going. A pair of herd dogs and a hopefully pregnant cat round out this household.

A question or two: 1. How do you handle aging? Is a year one day or all 4 seasons? Or something in between? In TS2 I usually count 1 day as 1 year and decrease pregnancy to 1 day and babyhood to 1 day. But in TS3 most of my games count 2 days as 1 year. And I have one that 1 day is 3 months so a 3 day pregnancy, 4 day babyhood, etc. That one tends to drag. And I have 1 that involves raising horses that I just turn aging off and age everyone up when the horses complete a breeding season.
2. I've found all sorts of wonderful items for a medieval theme. But I still haven't found the strawberry plants for the foragers. I've got mushrooms but not strawberries. Oh, the sims are not confined to their own lots for work, are they? They can forage, or mine, or fish, or whatever on community lots, can't they?
Screenshots
Instructor
#137 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 3:58 AM
Found the strawberries. Read the doc again and saw the suggestions for mods. Now I need to download a few more things.

Time to tell you of my peasant families. First is Hrothgar Mineweard, age 32, a man in his prime, though a bit plump around the middle. Both his wife Merewyn,age 27 and his mother-in-law, Mildthryth, age 54, are good cooks. The Mineweards have 4 children, dgts Aebbe, age 10, Haesel, age and Scirleah, age 1, plus son Godric, age 8. Hrothgar has been a good provider for his family. They are among the most well-off of the peasants. But the area around the king's village is almost mined out so he is quite happy to be moving to a new area. Squire Wulfstan has listened carefully to Hrothgar's opinions about the lands when they reach the area where they will establish their settlement. Of course he listened to all the men but Hrothgar's knowledge of rock formations was valuable. Wulfstan wants the best resources possible for his people.

Next is Eadmund the Swinhierde, almost an elder at 45. He has a grown son, Eadric, age 20. And like Ulfgar, has a young second wife, Hludiwiga, age 25. They have 3 young children. Leoma, age 5, Caddaric, age 3, and little Blaed, only 1. Eadric is in the same position as Eadgar AND he's a romance sim. Still, there is Halig Aelfwine to buzz around as well as the ladies of our third peasant family.

Ceolwen, age 54, a widow, and her dgt, Cwen, 25, also a widow have a full household. Ceolwen's younger dgt, Tiwesdaeg, age 16 and her son, Hraefn, age 13, plus Cwen's four children: dgt Eadgyth, 9, son Odwuf, 7, dgt Dael, 5, and dgt Aelfhild, 3. These women make their living as midwives and healers, and also forage in woods and meadows for wild herbs and edible plants. Their knowledge of herbal lore and the efficacy of their simples and potions has them hoping to someday have a small apothecary shop. But Cwen is young yet. She would really like to marry again and who knows what would happen then?

Last is the Fisker brothers, Oeric, 15 and Aesc, 7. They had learned to get along without their mother after her death in childbirth a few years ago but relied heavily on their father. Horst was an excellent fisker, always bringing in good catches, which brought him many pennies in the market. Yet he was willing to move when offered the chance. Sadly, on his last fishing day, he slipped when crossing a log to the other side of the stream and fell in. Not the first time he got wet but this time he hit his head on the log as he fell and drowned while unconscious. The boys could have stayed behind and moved in with cousins but their wagon was all packed and Oeric decided his father would have wanted them to continue. So they did. Wulfstan will be keeping a close eye on the boys and Beorhtraed will insist on them getting a good meal every day.

A couple more questions: How exactly do they make money if they can only barter goods with each other? Do they pay their taxes and rent with produce? And what about their twice weekly bills? Is there a mod to stop those or do I just count that as payment on taxes? Is this something else that I have missed by not reading the doc well enough?
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#138 Old 29th Apr 2016 at 9:57 PM Last edited by vllygrl : 30th Apr 2016 at 4:59 AM.
Hi hedgekat,
Really enjoying reading about your families! Very interesting set-up! As for aging, I use: Lava-ShorterLifespan http://modthesims.info/d/465335
and everything revolves around the seasons for my sims.

(Babies: 2 Days
Toddlers: 3 Days
Children: 5 Days
Teens: 8 Days
Adults: 21 Days
Elders:
-Min: 12 Days
-Max: 19 Days -- however, I will add or subtract a day here or there to the Adult life stage if it is fitting)

As far as making money, I pretend that goods get shipped to the nearest large city and that's where cash comes from outside of bartering goods with each other. You gotta get cash flow from somewhere!
Taxes & Bills -- I have not been able to find a mod to stop bills coming in spite of much searching -- ultimately I found that CJ-BiggerBills http://www.cyjon.net/node/134 works well to simulate high taxes, if you want to pay their rent and taxes with a simpler system to streamline the challenge. Then just track or estimate how much taxes should be going into the treasury from each household and kaching it to the steward.
Happy playing!
vllygrl

**edited to add: sounds cheaty, doesn't it?!

Lab Assistant
#139 Old 1st May 2016 at 12:50 AM Last edited by celticlass64 : 1st May 2016 at 1:00 AM. Reason: adding information
I have been playing this for almost two years. After the first year I had a problem with my game and had to start all over again. This time more simply because I had two cities going, figuring I would begin intertwining the gentry. It was a lot to keep up with. Did you happen to add the kidnap for marriage idea I had posted at the Keep? I lost my copy you sent me when my computer went down.

Where can we find the other challenges you mentioned? Are they on MTS? Thanks for any information you can add! By the way, my noble went to visit a city similar to Florence (I play elves so they have their own cities). He brought back with him some of the Florentine dress and mannerisms. The gentry are catching on. Soon they will appear more renaissance than medieval.

Is there any way to add the Louis XV and XVI eras to the challenge once you've completed this challenge and Warwickshire? If so, how would you do it? Not starting from scratch but continuing the play with the same families. I would love to add some castle intrigue but I don't know enough about the eras to do it. Can you suggest some accurate sites?

I have been having major problems with my knees and left ankle and am now going to see a neurosurgeon about my lower back. When I have recuperated enough I would like to begin posting my story. Would it be appropriate to begin the story at the Keep and send them here to finish the story? (The entire story would be posted here.) If not, what is best?

I cannot thank you enough for creating and perfecting this challenge! Dancing. Shouting. And chopping off heads. (Poor Ned Stark - where's a Viking with an ax when you need one?) Thank you a million times over!
Test Subject
#140 Old 1st May 2016 at 3:43 AM
Quick question, when you count income for a family with a home business, do you count the total revenue, or just the profit? Because all my families with businesses pretty much have to sell possessions every season in order to pay their taxes and tithes since I've been using total revenue (which is usually in the $300 a day range, but their profit is maybe $50 a day).
Forum Resident
#141 Old 1st May 2016 at 7:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vllygrl
Taxes & Bills -- I have not been able to find a mod to stop bills coming in spite of much searching -- ultimately I found that CJ-BiggerBills http://www.cyjon.net/node/134 works well to simulate high taxes, if you want to pay their rent and taxes with a simpler system to streamline the challenge. Then just track or estimate how much taxes should be going into the treasury from each household and kaching it to the steward.
Happy playing!
vllygrl

**edited to add: sounds cheaty, doesn't it?!

Sorry. I wasn't going to stop lurking the thread until I'd started building my neighborhood lots, but I wanted to respond.

Can't you just delete the bills? NOT THE MAILBOX. But the bills should be fine. You don't get visited by the repo man and you don't pay. It's like deleting a teen/child's homework. The game just interprets it as being paid (bills) or completed (homework).

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Instructor
Original Poster
#142 Old 2nd May 2016 at 4:40 AM
@celticlass64: Wow! :lovestruc celticlass -- I am so impressed that you have played the MCC for 2 years -- I am also honoured that you found enough in it to keep you interested in building it up for that long!
As far as your kidnap for marriage idea, was this it? Still love that idea!!!

"Surprise" Abduction - Your noble maiden/bachelor Sim is anxious to marry the love of her/his life, so a secret abduction is conspired! Roll d(7) or d(8) to determine if they:
1. Get caught by the bride's father who enforces a crossbow wedding -- no dowry.
2. Get caught by the bride's father and the bride is thrown into a nunnery - her dowry is donated to the church.
3. Get married, but this involves breaking a previous betrothal; the bride's family must pay 50% of the promised dowry to the jilted Sim.
4. Get caught by the bride's father and she is forced to marry the nobleman of his choice.
5. Get married and get away with it - she manages to keep her dowry!
6. Get married and not only get away with it, but get a larger dowry from the bride's relieved parents!
7. Get married and discover that the groom has been secretly undertaking intelligence work for the Crown and has been socially promoted up one level in social station for services rendered.
8. Reroll.

Talking about your noble visiting a city similar to Florence and bringing back with him some of the Florentine dress and mannerisms, leading into a renaissance -- I did something similar when my king of a fairly backward country went overseas to marry a bride from a nation which had begun the renaissance on their continent, and when he died and his queen took charge, she began to implement many of the new ideas in her new kingdom -- fun to play!

I'm not sure which challenges you meant -- can you direct me to whichever post it was I mentioned them to refresh my memory? Or do you mean the ones I mentioned in the actual MCC document?

And as far as leading into the Louis XV and XVI eras after you finish the MCC and Warwickshire, it seems a natural progression to do so. I don't know much about those eras, except that it is a similar timeline to the Georgian era in Britain. I have been working on a Regency Challenge which could be something you might consider, but as far as I know, there aren't any other guidelines out there which could cover that timeline with the one big exception of the Royal Kingdom Challenge. I would think castle intrigue might develop naturally out of your story line, and you have great potential in your game since you already have two cities (which I think is brilliant, by the way!) Otherwise, think of a list of things which might set the wheels in motion; like an illegitimate child, a grudge, thwarted romance, etc., etc. -- that's what I'd do. I'm not sure what websites to suggest except if you want something that mirrors real life castle intrigue, something historic would be a good bet.

Good luck with your recuperation -- my goodness, but it sounds like you've had a rough go of it -- I certainly hope things begin a swift improvement for you. With your story I don't see why you couldn't start a thread at the Keep and just keep adding links to your story here on MTS, I think that's a great way to go. I can't wait to read it myself -- there haven't been very many stories posted which have come out of the MCC, so this will be a treat (rubs hands together in anticipation!) Get better!

@origami79: Taxes = (XX)% of Gross Income (total revenue); Tithes = 10% of Gross Income (total revenue). This does make it more challenging, however, it was very difficult (if not impossible!) for anyone to move up into the next station during medieval times. Perhaps you can redouble their efforts to increase income? Increase prices, diversify products, extend business hours, dig for treasure (even after paying the antiquities tax, it can still boost the bottom line!)

@AliaD85 : First of all, welcome and I'm glad you are de-lurking! Second: (smacks forehead) Of course! I had totally forgotten about deleting the bills -- thank you for reminding us!!!

Whew! I'm out of breath! Happy Simming, Everyone!
Cheers, vllygrl

Instructor
#143 Old 17th May 2016 at 1:48 AM
I've managed to play 2 days with each family in Harlsburg and have started a third day. I started the game half way through the spring season with no taxes being expected during this set-up season. I figured I would need 2-3 days with each family to iron out traffic patterns and add in things needed items that I forgot in the initial build. Boy, was I right. I've got lots in which 'familyfunds' does not work. In one lot every time someone sets a dish on the floor, whether with food or without, it disappears. Learning how new objects work is taking some time too. Foraging on community lots works differently than on home lots. The seasonal fruit trees show up with fruit on the community lots even though it is spring on the residential lots. Lots of new experiences and things to learn.

What to do with the adult and teen males during the day. In reallife they would have gone off the home lot to work in the communal fields or to take their animals to communal pastures. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Has anyone else worked out a method for it?

Here's a few pics of my homesteads: First, an ariel view of the settlement. #1 in the center is the squire's homestead, with a large barn and fenced paddock. Next door, #2 is Halig elf-friend, the beekeeper, and next to her, #3 is the Kinehierdes home. Next to them is the meadow where all beasts may be pastured during the day. Across from the meadow is a cleared field where the men will soon start planting the communal crops. There is a brook flowing from the meadow pond along the backs of lots 3,2 and 1, under a pretend bridge on the road and across lots 7, 6b and 6 and from there down to the river. (though I couldn't actually make the part in neighborhood view). Back down the road across from the squire, #4, is the Stowe family. These women will make their living foraging for wild plants and herbs in the forest behind them and will also tend to the ills of the other villagers. #5 is the Mineweard. He has found some promising veins of ore further along the road. #6 is the Fisker boys, with their very own pond as well as access to the meadow pond. And last, #7, is the Swinhierde. He can pasture his pigs in the nearby forest, without interfering with the foraging ladies.

Now for some closeups; #1 the Harl home. To the left is the craft house, where Carleas and the girls can spin, weave and sew with ample light from the windows but still out of wind and rain. In front of the main building is the baking oven, where the women can bake plenty of bread without sweltering indoors. Barn and paddock to the
right. #2 Aelfwin - Halig also has a small craft house to the right. To the left is her market garden, and behind it her beehives, fruit trees and berry bushes. A small chicken pen is also sited there. #3 Kinehierde - chicken yard and garden to the left with paddock behind for cows and sheep, in the center is the crafthouse/storage building with a roofed outdoor bake oven in front. #4 Stowe - dwelling to the left with privy behind it (yes, the other houses all have them, just hidden in the trees behind house. Craft house and garden to the right. To the right of this lot is the area that will become the village green sometime in the future. Right now, the Stowe family must carry their water from the brook at the back of the Harl holding, as do the Mineweards, who are - #5 hmmm, looks like a flip of the Stowe lot, though there is a chicken yard beyond the garden. #6 Fisker - Not much to see here. Smallest dwelling in the settlement and last built. Builders were getting tired and running low on new lumber. But how much space do two boys need? Garden to the left, outhouse to the right. Pond way in back. You can see the stream running across the lot next door beyond the garden. #7 Swinhierde - Something different, a back of the lot view. On the left, pigpen, garden, chicken yard and craft house. To the right, privy and dwelling.

You have probably noticed that none of the dwellings have windows. I found a website showing reconstructions of houses as they were built by early Saxon settlers. None of what they called Halls had windows, only the structures that were identified as weaving houses or for other crafts. All the halls pictured had their doors open. I assumed that the inhabitants spent most of their daylight hours outside working. At night and when it was cold, they didn't want windows letting in cold air. They would close their doors and huddle around their central fires. Most halls did not even have a bedroom partition but I found it necessary for the sims. Pretty much the only differences in the dwellings in the entire village was size, so I built mine that way. All single story with no foundations. As my settlement progresses through the years I'll change building styles too.
Forum Resident
#144 Old 20th May 2016 at 12:15 AM
I'll be posting my lot and character pics later, but for now I have a question for everyone taking the challenge.

How do you work with your brewsters? I don't know if I should use chardonnay (from Plumbbob) temporarily or what? I'm all with using my imagination, but it would be nice if my brewsters could have actual beer in their lives.

(On a side note: My research shows that most brewsters were women! lol)

It's a delicate balance.
Instructor
#145 Old 20th May 2016 at 5:56 AM
@AliaD85 - I've read that about the brewsters too. The women were often called alewives and often sold their brews from their homes.
I've just started my game too. I decided against a brewer in my initial group of settlers since I couldn't figure out how to implement it and decided they wouldn't have the barley and hops to make brews with until after at least one growing season. While they are waiting for crops I have them caring for the community's cows and sheep. I just read through the instructions again and found Mead making equipment mentioned for the beekeeper. I bet that would work better for brewsters than winemaking equipment. But the text doesn't say where to find it and I haven't run across it anywhere.

@vllygrl - Can you tell us where to find the mead making equipment?
Forum Resident
#146 Old 20th May 2016 at 4:28 PM Last edited by AliaD85 : 21st May 2016 at 4:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by hedgekat
@AliaD85 - I've read that about the brewsters too. The women were often called alewives and often sold their brews from their homes.
I've just started my game too. I decided against a brewer in my initial group of settlers since I couldn't figure out how to implement it and decided they wouldn't have the barley and hops to make brews with until after at least one growing season. While they are waiting for crops I have them caring for the community's cows and sheep. I just read through the instructions again and found Mead making equipment mentioned for the beekeeper. I bet that would work better for brewsters than winemaking equipment. But the text doesn't say where to find it and I haven't run across it anywhere.

@vllygrl - Can you tell us where to find the mead making equipment?

Honestly, I was digging (for quite a while) just for a drink or something that could be cooked like a soup before hand. Instead, all I found were clones of instant meal (completely understandable). Currently, I'm also considering using those clones/default replacements. If I put them up for sale, they won't go bad, and well, what my alewife does in her kitchen is her business.

It's a delicate balance.
Forum Resident
#147 Old 24th May 2016 at 5:18 AM
So I'm not as good as Hedgekat at storytelling, but I'll give it a try while I introduce my new Squire, Yeomanry, and Peasantry!

Starting with the Squire himself, this is Edward Halle. I'm not giving an closer pic of Edward because he is very very distracting to look at. It's going to be easy finding this one a wife. The second snapshot is of Edward's medium manor house.

Squire Halle had been honored when his Lord and sponsor had asked him to care for empty lands to the far west. The lands had been deserted since King Bartholomew started a war with the Kingdom's Northern and Southern neighbors. Edward was less pleased to hear why. Everyone knew that the Royal Family was cursed with madness and greed, and King Bartholomew was making things much worse. It wouldn't be a surprise if the kingdom of Aberyst's capital city was attacked. Halle's mission from his Lord and the King's younger brother WIlliam, was to lay the foundations of a new charter city for the future of Aberyst.

Hesitant, Squire Halle sent out word throughout the city of his new adventure. Few were willing to go forward, considering many remembered the bloody battles with the Elves and the Others. However, there were some brave souls in need of a new start, and with a small prayer, Halle set out West.
Screenshots

It's a delicate balance.
Forum Resident
#148 Old 24th May 2016 at 5:32 AM
Lander Hunniset's friends told him he was insane. He didn't care. There was truly nothing left for him in Aberyst. His dearest wife Mary was gone, having died protecting a peasant girl in the castle. People claimed it was an accident that killed Mary, but Lander knew better. His wife had told him of the horrible things she's heard from her peasant friends of the castle. That fall down the stairs was meant to kill his demure yet strong-willed wife silent.

Losing Mary was crippling for Lander. He would be dead if not for the former peasant girl. Lander had lost his father in a fire that overtook their bakery, and then lost all his property to the king for being unable to pay taxes. He'd been a beggar on the streets until Mary took him in, remembering when he'd sneak food to her and her siblings in their early years. The two had fallen in love and married. Mary had gifted him two healthy sons and a young daughter. And now she was gone.

Lander had no intentions of staying in a place as rotten as Aberyst, not when he couldn't get justice for his Mary. He wanted more for his children. A new start was just what he needed.
( omg! I didn't mean to do that!)

The first pic is of Lander, his sons, Madison and Leland, and his toddler girl, Ingrid. The second is their new home with the small bakery next door!
Screenshots

It's a delicate balance.
Instructor
Original Poster
#149 Old 24th May 2016 at 5:36 AM
Just a quick hello, my dad has been in the hospital since Friday so I haven't had a chance to catch up with things!
I was being silly when I said mead making equipment -- I just meant any wine making equipment and/or mods which I would just imagine as being used to make mead rather than wine. Also, a mead maker would buy honey in large quantities from a beekeeper, so it seemed to fit.
I'll be back to this thread soon, just a little busy right now. Cheers!

Forum Resident
#150 Old 24th May 2016 at 5:49 AM
It was the last wish of Hunter and Wesley Layton's father that his sons take the chance offered by Squire Halle. The old man knew his chandler business held no interest with his children. Also, both men were mourning their young wives and their mother, all lost to an illness sweeping through the peasantry and yeomanry. It would be better for both his sons if they left for something new. Old Man Layton did have one more request of his children before they left.

Wesley was stunned that his father had a child out of wedlock and that he wanted said teenager to journey with them and Squire Halle. He was already disgusted with the idea that Hunter was coming with them. It wasn't that Wesley didn't love his niece, Hazel, but he was sick to death of dealing with Hunter, the favorite son. Hunter was the oldest, Hunter married first, Hunter had the first child (even though it was a girl, that hadn't mattered to his parents). And now Wesley had to deal with his brother and some brat?

Hunter was unhappy learning of his father's surprise, but he didn't mind having another younger brother. He adored Wesley and his nephew Ramsey. He loved being a big brother and had no trouble welcoming young Keaton into the family. Hunter could only he and his brother could give themselves and their children happy futures!

Keaton was relieved that he wouldn't be left on the streets after his mother and grandfather died. His father, though absent for most of his life because of his own family, did care for him and made sure his brothers took him along to the lands out West. Keaton intended to take over the family business that his brothers were happy to discard. He would make something of himself, and make his father proud.

(So yeah. Sims often make stories themselves. Hunter's relationship with everyone but Wesley is great. Wesley sort of dislikes his older brother (his relationship with Hunter is in the negatives.)
This is (from left to right) Keaton, Ramsey, Wesley, Ingrid, and Hunter. You'll see the Yeoman farm holding in the second picture. Keaton is going to be a chandler. Wesley is a market gardener (and this is his place), and Hunter is going to be a beekeeper.
Screenshots

It's a delicate balance.
Page 6 of 11