Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 12:38 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The in game Video Capture system
Is it possible to alter the codec to H.264, I think it uses AVI? The solution for me was to use the uncompressed system for the best quality, but even then, the quality of the video is upscaled from a smaller resolution and you're burdened with an insane file size. Changing the capture video into MP4 would be highly beneficial.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 12:58 AM
I think most people who do a lot of video capture ingame these days use an external program, just like most people who take pictures, simply because the quality and compression issues. It can also give you a bit more control in choosing formats.

I don't do a lot of video capturing, but I've had a few accidents by hitting the V-button, and the video size is kinda ridicolous even if I've turned down the size. The capturing was also horrible when controlled by the game for the times when I've tried to capture a video or two (on a few occasions the capturing was quite laggy and/or choppy even if the game wasn't).

Can't help you a lot with which programs are best to use, though. I think I've seen Bandicam and Fraps mentioned, but not sure if those are preferred or if there are better ones.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 2:13 AM
For me, using overlay capture applications always adds more memory consumption, by using the in game capture everything is one place.
There has to be some kind of file or config that determines the resolution and video codec type, but even if you changed the video codec to H.264 I have to wonder if it would even acknowledge the new configuration input.
H.264 didn't even exist back then.
Scholar
#4 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 3:46 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 17th Oct 2020 at 4:40 AM.
@Jasmini

Yes there is a place to change the video capture settings. It's located in this folder:

C:\Users\Admin-PC\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Movies\

EDIT 2: Sorry, that was the wrong folder. Use this one: C:\Users\Admin-PC\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config

In the file called: VideoCapture.ini

Here's mine (also attached):

I have a Xvid codec installed on the computer. So I changed the "PreferredCode" line to be Xvid.

I also changed the "FilenameBase" to name the videos "Test..."

The video files remain in AVI format.

Compare my file to yours in the folder mentioned above for other changes.

Do note, however. Your game may replace the "VideoCapture.ini" file each time it starts up. So keep a copy handy to overwrite each time the game does so.

The good news isthat you can overwrite the file while the game is open, and the effects will change.

As for whether it would use H.264? Maybe....never tried it. Don't know what the codec name would be.

EDIT: So I have these codecs that seem to work so far:

- xvid
- ffdshow
Attached files:
File Type: zip  VideoCapture.zip (622 Bytes, 3 downloads)

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!