Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The Sims 4 Random Sim Generator

by katrisims Posted 25th Jan 2018 at 1:34 AM - Updated 10th Jan 2023 at 6:28 PM by katrisims

80 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 44 Feedback Posts, 35 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 3 of 4
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#51 Old 6th May 2019 at 6:57 PM
Thank you so much for making this utility. It's way easier than using a random number generator to make sims!

Quick question: when is this utility going to be updated for the Strangerville pack (which added 1 new trait and 1 new career) and the freelance career update (which added 1 new career with 3 different trades)?
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#52 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 4:45 AM
Needs to be updated for Strangerville and now Island Living. No rush, but I love this tool so much! Keeps gameplay fresh, otherwise, I pick the same things over and over again lol.
Test Subject
#53 Old 13th Aug 2019 at 4:17 AM
Thanks so much, I love this. I was wondering though how do we get the skin tones? For example, if it says "Skin color 30", does that mean I just count from top to bottom and left to right? Same for eye and hair color? Finally, I should skip over the custom content I have right? I currently have 50+ skin tones.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#54 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nycblkboy
Thanks so much, I love this. I was wondering though how do we get the skin tones? For example, if it says "Skin color 30", does that mean I just count from top to bottom and left to right? Same for eye and hair color? Finally, I should skip over the custom content I have right? I currently have 50+ skin tones.

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying this. Yes, that's pretty much it: I numbered the genetics from left to right and top to bottom for the lack of a better option. With lots of cc out there, it's unfortunately impossible to try to randomize for cc as well. If the cc places itself in between of the original game options in CAS, that's kind of unfortunate for the use of this tool, the counting can be a bit of a pain. I don't think there's a real workaround for that either, or I can't think of one anyway, I'm sorry. I hope you can still benefit from the tool all the same.

Katri
Test Subject
Original Poster
#55 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 6:45 PM
Update: August 24, 2019: updated for the StrangerVille, Island Living and Moschino Stuff packs and the Base Game Freelancer career update. StrangerVille added a new aspiration and a new career, and Island Living added two new traits, one adult career and three teen careers. A Base Game update added one new career, Freelancer, which has three different branches (or ”trades”), while Moschino Stuff added one new branch/trade to that career. Note: I couldn't find separate icons for the Freelancer career branches, so the branches all use the basic Freelancer icon. If you opt to randomize careers with branches, the Freelancer branches can only be distinguished from the text.

With that, we should be all up to date again! I'm really sorry that it took me so long! Real life has been getting in the way, plus I'll admit I've been avoiding the icon hunting too. Fortunately, after this break, it wasn't that hard after all. Again, I'm sorry for the delay and I hope you enjoy. I've tested this update on my machine, but if you find anything wrong, please let me know. Thank you!
Test Subject
#56 Old 2nd Oct 2019 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katrisims
Update: August 24, 2019: updated for the StrangerVille, Island Living and Moschino Stuff packs and the Base Game Freelancer career update. StrangerVille added a new aspiration and a new career, and Island Living added two new traits, one adult career and three teen careers. A Base Game update added one new career, Freelancer, which has three different branches (or ”trades”), while Moschino Stuff added one new branch/trade to that career. Note: I couldn't find separate icons for the Freelancer career branches, so the branches all use the basic Freelancer icon. If you opt to randomize careers with branches, the Freelancer branches can only be distinguished from the text.

With that, we should be all up to date again! I'm really sorry that it took me so long! Real life has been getting in the way, plus I'll admit I've been avoiding the icon hunting too. Fortunately, after this break, it wasn't that hard after all. Again, I'm sorry for the delay and I hope you enjoy. I've tested this update on my machine, but if you find anything wrong, please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you so much for the update! But I did notice that mermaids did not get added as a new Supernaturals option? Did that get looked over or do I need to try redownloading the mod?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#57 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wolvishcub
Thank you so much for the update! But I did notice that mermaids did not get added as a new Supernaturals option? Did that get looked over or do I need to try redownloading the mod?

Oh, yes, that was an oversight by me, thanks for letting me know! Should be all fixed in today's update. (I was also seeing some mermaids in people's pictures, so while I don't have that pack, I started to think "hey wait a minute, am I missing something here?")
Test Subject
Original Poster
#58 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 5:22 PM
Update: October 20, 2019: updated for the Realm of Magic pack and fixed an oversight in the Island Living pack updates. Realm of Magic added two aspirations as well as a new supernatural type, Spellcaster. Island Living also added a supernatural type, Mermaid, which I overlooked earlier when updating for that, so mermaids are now also added.

And again, we should be all up to date! I've tried to check that everything works, but well, code can always be buggy. If you notice anything weird, please let me know.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#59 Old 25th Jan 2020 at 10:10 AM
This is brilliant! Thank you!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#60 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangebark
This is brilliant! Thank you!

Thank you, I'm glad you like the download!

In other news, at long last...

Update: February 9, 2020: updated for the Discover University pack. Discover University added one aspiration, two skills, two careers for adults (both with two branches) and two afterschool activities for teens, which are added in the randomizer as teen careers. The randomizer also has a completely new feature for randomizing a college degree, as those were also added with the pack. The pack also introduced a new life state, servo, but it isn't included in the randomizer as you cannot make a servo in CAS.

Again, everything seemed fine to me when testing, but if you notice anything strange, please let me know so I can try to fix it.
Inventor
THANKS POST
#61 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 10:29 PM
tHANKS!!!
Test Subject
#62 Old 14th Mar 2020 at 12:20 AM
Sorry if I'm being clueless but but when I try to extract the files, I get an error that says "No archives found" and that the archive is either in unknown format or damaged. I tried to extract other rar files to see if it was me/my computer and had no problems with them. But this one gives me that error.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#63 Old 8th Apr 2020 at 5:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by juliekaye
Sorry if I'm being clueless but but when I try to extract the files, I get an error that says "No archives found" and that the archive is either in unknown format or damaged. I tried to extract other rar files to see if it was me/my computer and had no problems with them. But this one gives me that error.

Hi, I'm sorry you're having problems! And I'm sorry that I only now checked back and saw this message. That's a weird problem, the only thing I can think of is maybe it didn't download properly. I tried downloading it myself and it worked, so the upload should be fine. So maybe try redownloading?

Katri
Test Subject
#64 Old 21st Apr 2020 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katrisims
Hi, I'm sorry you're having problems! And I'm sorry that I only now checked back and saw this message. That's a weird problem, the only thing I can think of is maybe it didn't download properly. I tried downloading it myself and it worked, so the upload should be fine. So maybe try redownloading?

Katri

That's ok, this is the first time I've come back to check! But no, I am still getting that odd message. Re-downloaded I don't know how many times. But I tried it on another computer just now and it worked on there! I got excited until I opened the file and my computer immediately froze. lol 2nd attempt SEEMS to be ok so maybe just a fluke. Thank you for your reply!! If it keeps working, this is gonna be great for my challenges!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#65 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 5:57 PM
Update: August 2, 2020: updated for the Eco Lifestyle and Nifty Knitting packs. Eco Lifestyle added one aspiration, one career (with two branches), and three traits. Nifty Knitting added two aspirations, one skill and one career branch. Also a Tiny Living pack has been published, but to my knowledge it didn't add any randomizable features.
Field Researcher
#66 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 12:10 AM
Just a quick note - the Maker trait is missing, at least for parents. I searched and searched but it really isn't there. Not sure if it's hiding or what, but wanted to let you know!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#67 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 2:41 AM
And a gentle nudge that yet more updates are needed lol.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 3:47 PM
This is really awesome. (of course the latest update totally massed up the skintone aspect, but whatevs). Is there any chance of being able to include the custom traits, careers, and aspirations that we have installed? Like, just something where we could manually add in those custom things we want to be included in randomization.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#69 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 2:35 AM
Hope everything is okay!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#70 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 10:43 AM
Ahem. Hi, all! I seem to have disappeared off the face of the planet once again. Sorry about that. I checked the thread today and figured I should at least reply to you guys.

Quote: Originally posted by WildIrishBanshee
Hope everything is okay!

I'm okay, thanks for your concern! The pandemic has kind of thrown me off, but at least I've been able to stay safe and healthy, so all things considered, pretty good. My main excuse is that I'm mostly a TS2 simmer, and I'm pretty sporadic about that these days, so this stuff seems to happen with this little TS4 project more than I'd like. Also, when making this download, I didn't expect so many updates and packs for the game at all, so I didn't perhaps have a realistic idea of the work in the future. In any case, sorry for the inconvenience!

Just yesterday I opened TS4 for the first time in an eon and noticed they've redone the hair color system again... I'm not sure if I have the spoons to redo the hairs at the moment, but I should at least look at the missing packs and (likely) missing trait. I can't promise a quick update, but I'll look into things.

Quote: Originally posted by igloolik
Is there any chance of being able to include the custom traits, careers, and aspirations that we have installed? Like, just something where we could manually add in those custom things we want to be included in randomization.

Currently, the only way to do that would be to open up the TS4-randomizer.html file and edit it with a text editor, basically code it into the randomizer the same way I do when I update it. That requires understanding of HTML and JavaScript, so it's probably too involved for most users. So at this time, unfortunately not.

A super user-friendly way (making a user interface to add the new items) would be beyond my skills I think, but I'm wondering if I could pull off separating the aspects into a text file that the user could edit... That might still be a bit difficult for the user, and since I'm rarely around users couldn't rely on me to help them debug the text file if it breaks. And the initial change would require a biggish overhaul on my part, so I'm not sure if I'll have the time and energy to do that, so I won't make promises on this. But it's a very interesting suggestion and I'll keep it in mind as a possibility. So thank you!

All in all, thank you for your kind messages! :lovestruc I'll look into getting the randomizer at least mostly back up to date, although I can't make promises about when it'll be done. Sorry again for the inconvenience!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#71 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 8:43 PM
At least we know you're okay and looking into it! Looking forward to the update when it happens.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#72 Old 8th Dec 2021 at 7:50 PM
Update: December 8, 2021: updated for the Snowy Escape, Journey to Batuu, Dream Home Decorator, Paranormal Stuff, Bust the Dust and Cottage Living packs. Fixed an oversight on the Eco Lifestyle pack and updated for the revamped Spa Day Pack. Snowy Escape added two aspirations, three skills, two traits and one career (with branches). Journey to Batuu added three aspirations. The Dream Home Decorator pack added one career. The Paranormal Stuff pack added one career branch and one skill. The Bust the Dust pack added two aspirations. The Cottage Living pack added one aspiration, two traits and one skill. This update also added the Maker trait from the Eco Lifestyle pack, as I previously somehow missed that. And finally, it added the three new aspirations and one trait added by the revisited Spa Day pack.

Known issue: EA has again changed the genetics swatches (hair colors this time I think?), so the colors and numbers for the genetics are again off. As I've made the numbered color icons myself, I'd have to remake them, and unfortunately don't have the spoons for that, at least not at the moment.

Sorry about the long wait in updates, I hope the randomizer is at least decently usable again!
Test Subject
#73 Old 14th Dec 2021 at 10:14 PM
It is possible to get this to work on an iPhone? As otherwise I have to keep alt-tabbing from the game.
Test Subject
#74 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 10:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bradleymee
It is possible to get this to work on an iPhone? As otherwise I have to keep alt-tabbing from the game.

Might I suggest this method if you're only using one monitor: Use the application, take a screenshot of it, then send it to yourself so you can open it on your phone. I use discord for that specific method for all kinds of things and single file sharing between my devices lol know your question is like 2 weeks old so you may have thought of it already, but wanted to say it anyway in case you hadn't.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#75 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 3:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bradleymee

Hi,

I don't have an iPhone so I can't tell how well it will work, but because the randomizer is an HTML file, it should in principle work in any device with a browser. Depending on the browser, there might be something I didn't take into account so it might, say, look funny, but it should work. If you've managed to download and open the rar archive on your phone, you should be able to open the TS4-randomizer.html file using the phone's browser (usually Safari I'd think?).

I'm sorry I'm not able to give you specific instructions, my phone is an Android phone and I'm not super savvy on using stuff on phones in general. In any case, good luck!
Page 3 of 4