Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 1:19 AM
Default Why are my plants dormant in the winter if they're planted inside?
I thought the pots that came with supernatural were so we could plant stuff inside. Even if the new greenhouses worked to keep the cold out, I'm unable to grow anything in the winter in a pot regardless, even in an enclosed interior.

Fully enclosed dining room; I put down a planter, had my Sim plant a lettuce seed, and now I cannot interact with it because it's dormant. What the fuck.
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 1:27 AM
Check back one sim day later. The lettuce will probably be back in the pot and acting like lettuce again. Another unforeseen "glitch" which might get patched by the time TS4 is released.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 1:37 AM
Wait until it starts to snow, your plants will turn white like their covered in it, even when their indoors, just another cluster-**** by the moron's at EA.
Instructor
#4 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 4:33 PM
I'm using the new greenhouse, and at least for now it seems to be working. My apple trees outside went dormant and turned white, but the ones inside of the greenhouse did not. However, I had to use Inge's modified greenhouse roofs to act as a real roof to get it to do that. For some stupid reason, EA's greenhouse roofs aren't real roofs. Rooves? Roofs? Riffs?
Scholar
#5 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Howabominable
Rooves? Roofs?

haha i now have literally no idea how to spell the plural of roof... they both look right!!

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Test Subject
#6 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 6:08 PM
I had plants in pots in an apartment through winter and they continued to grow and produce.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 9:30 PM
My plants that were already growing inside are fine, but anything new is listed as dormant.

Freedom is the sounds of opinions clashing.
Eminence Grise
#8 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Howabominable
I'm using the new greenhouse, and at least for now it seems to be working. My apple trees outside went dormant and turned white, but the ones inside of the greenhouse did not. However, I had to use Inge's modified greenhouse roofs to act as a real roof to get it to do that. For some stupid reason, EA's greenhouse roofs aren't real roofs. Rooves? Roofs? Riffs?

Spelled "roofs", though for some people it might be pronounced more like "rooves".
Test Subject
#9 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 1:49 PM
Roofs is American standard. Rooves is standard in some parts of the Commonwealth, though is no longer the standard for British English and is generally considered a dated form.
Scholar
#10 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Spelled "roofs", though for some people it might be pronounced more like "rooves".

thankyou

in some parts of the uk (maybe other countries too) they say 'ruffs' -_-

i say rooves, but i also say 'roov' instead of 'roof' because my accent is stupid

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Test Subject
#11 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 6:33 PM
I don't think it's that much of an oversight. There's less sun in winter, whether outside or in, so it still more or less makes sense that your harvestables don't produce. Then again, I have absolutely zero experience with indoor gardening irl, so yeah. I'm not sure how the new greenhouses should work, but my guess is that they're just cosmetic.
One Minute Ninja'd
#12 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ziti
I don't think it's that much of an oversight. There's less sun in winter, whether outside or in, so it still more or less makes sense that your harvestables don't produce. Then again, I have absolutely zero experience with indoor gardening irl, so yeah. I'm not sure how the new greenhouses should work, but my guess is that they're just cosmetic.

In real life, greenhouses are designed to let lots of light in, and maintain a warm environment to allow for indoor gardening protected from the elements, including cold climates. In EA's alternate universe, greenhouses are cosmetic only. I guess writing game code is tougher than dealing with real world seasonal change.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 7:20 AM
So there doesn't seem to be a set answer to the question. Is it done by making sure to plant during the summer so the plants will not go dormant in the winter while inside? eskie227 says you wait 1 day and the plant un-dormants itself? No one's confirmed this. Does that happen? I can't find out for myself right now. Can I grow things indoors in the winter or not?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 7:29 PM
Outside every plant will go dormant pretty much from the first frost, I believe they will stay that way until Spring, but even in Spring they can go dormant again as all it takes is frost.

Indoors they will continue to grow as normal, with some of them turning white when it snows, once a plant dies and you replace it or plant a new seed, then those will be dormant until the first 05:00 AM after you planted it, then they start to grow as normal.

So yes you can plant and grow things during the Winter, they just wont do anything on the first day you planted them, unless your using a certain gnome in which case it only takes a couple of clicks
Test Subject
#15 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 7:30 PM
Do you need to have the greenhouse from EA's Sims store to grow plants and not worry about frost? Does this method still work? http://www.thesims3.com/contentDeta...contentId=43579

Also, can you plant trees inside the greenhouse?
Test Subject
#16 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 6:46 PM
So after some toying around in the game I solved the problem. I did buy the Stones Throw Greenhouse. When building your greenhouse make it 2 floors. Put in as many windows as you like. Use the flat roof for your roof, and if you have the greenhouse roof decorations the flat roof will turn invisible under the decorations.

I originally had one floor but for some reason the flat roof didn't cover the entire building and let my plants go dormant, after adding the second floor and redoing the roof all dormant plants came back to their normal state.

Really I think it's silly that the greenhouse roofing doesn't count as an actual roof itself, hope this helps!
Test Subject
#17 Old 6th Jan 2013 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
I thought the pots that came with supernatural were so we could plant stuff inside. Even if the new greenhouses worked to keep the cold out, I'm unable to grow anything in the winter in a pot regardless, even in an enclosed interior.

Fully enclosed dining room; I put down a planter, had my Sim plant a lettuce seed, and now I cannot interact with it because it's dormant. What the fuck.

EA has posted they have fixed the greenhouse so everything doesn't go dormant in it now. They post that if you have the old one installed to go and uninstall it completely and then redownload it from the store-can find it in your purchased page. It's suppose to work now.

As for indoor planting I found that forsome reason even though you have a full roof on your house it may not count if the cieling isn't completely covering. I ended up clicking floor up and saw that there were a few spots where the roof added walls that there were some gaps in the floor/cieling to the floor below. I just laided down floor tiles over the open spaces and it worked. Didn't change anything with the roof or look of the house as it was in the attic/rafters unplayable space anyway. After that it took a couple game hours but the frosted look and dormant went away. Some of the plants kept the frosted look but weren't dormant and worked like normal. After they died and my sim replanted they stayed like regular plants and didn't fronst up.
Test Subject
#18 Old 1st May 2014 at 1:12 AM
When you buy the stones throw greenhouse, you also received a sunflower decoration. If you place this inside your greenhouse then as if by magic... Your plants have Sun! :-)
(I came here wondering the same, and have only owned the greenhouse 2 days, but reading your comments triggered my memory about the sunflower so I gave it a go, and problem instantly solved! :-)