Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:33 PM
Default Do different towns have different base temperatures?
I haven't played much with Seasons yet, but I noticed that in the University world I no longer had frost at night by mid spring, while in Riverview it happens until the bitter end. So is there some climate setting for each map, like there is for the sunrise and sunset times? Can I change it in CAW or in some other way?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:40 PM
I'm not too sure, but in some cases it might of been useful. Like, I hated having frost in Islo Paradislo at the beginning of Spring. I remember having to get rid of all the non-tropical weather (I only allowed heavy rain), and I think I cut out Spring entirely because of that one little detail.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:42 PM
Yea, agreed, Isla Paradiso is one place that could do without snow and frost.
Scholar
#4 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Moraelin
Yea, agreed, Isla Paradiso is one place that could do without snow and frost.

Now I'm thinking of doing an apocalyptic world where everything is gone haywire after the freak weather storm...
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:55 PM
Well, I guess the easiest would be a nuclear winter world. ("War. War never changes...") You could probably kiss gardening goodbye, though.
Scholar
#6 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:58 PM
Well, I guess the easiest would be a nuclear winter world. ("War. War never changes...") You could probably kiss gardening goodbye, though.

Planter Pots from Supernatural! (They work in Winter, right?)
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:59 PM
Hmm. Good idea.

And I'm guessing the greenhouse from the store should work too, actually.
Scholar
#8 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 10:07 PM
Hmm. Good idea.

And I'm guessing the greenhouse from the store should work too, actually.

Too bad I don't have it!
But really, this plot is the perfect time to create a sim who lives in their basement (because the rest of the world is like, in an Ice Age). Finding potential mates will be hard, but I'll think of something...
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 10:17 PM
The computer dating should still work, I suppose. Plus, if they have a day job, they should meet people there.

OR, if you make that bunker big enough, you can rent out to roommates. Find (or edit) one to your liking, and there you go. Just set the maximum number of roommates to, say, 4. That way, you also have room for you, a spouse and two children. Otherwise, if there are already maximum number of people living there, you can't have kids.

Or you can use a mod that raises the maximum number of people, and have the whole Vault 13 down there (at least until the water chip breaks)
Scholar
#10 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 10:29 PM
The computer dating should still work, I suppose. Plus, if they have a day job, they should meet people there.

OR, if you make that bunker big enough, you can rent out to roommates. Find (or edit) one to your liking, and there you go. Just set the maximum number of roommates to, say, 4. That way, you also have room for you, a spouse and two children. Otherwise, if there are already maximum number of people living there, you can't have kids.

Or you can use a mod that raises the maximum number of people, and have the whole Vault 13 down there (at least until the water chip breaks)

Yeah, you're right. I can feel a challenge/fan fiction happening...
One Minute Ninja'd
#11 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 11:28 PM
Yeah, but surviving a nuclear winter, but still having online dating and a job to go to from the bunker, even if it's still by carpool, might break the immersion.

I'd skip the job, and either let them live with the stir crazy moodlet (for realism) or get the never get stir crazy moodlet (for your own sanity, that moodlet is too disturbing to stare at a whole play session).

Although you should cancel the newspaper. Not fair to have that kid trek through a nuclear wasteland just so you can get the latest Llama game scores.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:18 AM
Well, I'm guessing some jobs might exist even in a post-apocalyptic world, like army (or some raiders will promptly show you the error of lacking it.) Plus, you can always just get NRaas career and make your own scavenger career or whatever.

Transportation is also somewhat easily gamed, since on small maps and if the job is near, your sim might just run to work instead of driving. E.g., on the Swallow Island custom map, which is one of those nice little compact maps (and loads fast too), sims seem to consider over half the length of the square formed by the roads to be close enough for just taking a run to work. With some strategic placing of houses and workplaces, and assigning who works where, you might just get everyone to run to work.

Plus, technically not every place on Earth has to be a crater. Some insignificant island at the far end of nowhere might just have escaped the bombing and kept some semblance of a working society, but be still caught in the nuclear winter.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Yeah, but surviving a nuclear winter, but still having online dating and a job to go to from the bunker, even if it's still by carpool, might break the immersion.

No well you see when my nuclear winter dating website takes off it'll totally be realistic.

On topic though, I can't really say I've noticed a temperature difference between worlds. I'd kind of be surprised if EA had the brains to think of it, tbh.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:44 AM
Yeah, I probably just saw a fluctuation there.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:51 AM
This could totally be a potential mod idea though.

...But knowing me, I'd want to go one step further and find more extreme ways of cooling Sims off in the scorching summer heat. Like booting a baby off a house boat.
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 10:23 AM Last edited by Moraelin : 14th Sep 2014 at 10:42 AM.
Hmm? That's extreme? I thought everyone did that.

Oh, wait, you mean in The Sims. My bad.
Scholar
#17 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 11:31 AM
Yeah, you should cancel the newspaper, have no jobs (except artist, maybe?) and hire roommates. (Let's say that they were trapped with you when the whole thing happened.)
I'm going to start writing this challenge now.
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:59 PM
You could have them collect stuff for money. It would be like a scavenger job, which fits the idea of scavenging the countryside for survival after a nuclear war. You would likely need to use the collection helper, but it could be considered like using a metal detector in real life. While artist is possible, it would leave me wondering who's buying all that artwork after a nuclear war.

The roommates are a good idea, as you would expect a bunch of unrelated people to be caught together in the bunker.
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 2:35 PM
Hmm, you know, it just occured to me, you can have transportation that doesn't involve cars. For example the metro stations from Night Life. After all, we even had a game all about metro stations and post-apocalyptic stuff :p
Field Researcher
#20 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 6:27 PM
I haven't played much with Seasons yet, but I noticed that in the University world I no longer had frost at night by mid spring, while in Riverview it happens until the bitter end. So is there some climate setting for each map, like there is for the sunrise and sunset times? Can I change it in CAW or in some other way?

I don't believe so, but Nraas Tempest provides a crazy level of customization. I have my sims travel a lot, and I'm kind of obsessed with creating accurate weather for them, based on what it's like at that time of year in whatever part of the world inspired their destination.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 6:33 PM
Hmm? That's extreme? I thought everyone did that.

Oh, wait, you mean in The Sims. My bad.

You are awesome.
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GreenCats
I don't believe so, but Nraas Tempest provides a crazy level of customization. I have my sims travel a lot, and I'm kind of obsessed with creating accurate weather for them, based on what it's like at that time of year in whatever part of the world inspired their destination.

Thanks. I had played with Tempest before, but your message convinced me to actually RTFM. What do you know? I CAN adjust temperatures, after all. Kudos.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 2:05 PM
When I play Isla Paradiso, I have just summer (28 days=one year) and turn off hail and snow. For one thing my game tends to lag a bit when there's snow.

Who is Q? qanon.pub