Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#1176 Old 1st Sep 2021 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
This is years from release. If I had to guess, at least another 5 years if not more. A lot can change in that time.

That is what I am hoping. I will wait to see final version before making any decision.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#1177 Old 1st Sep 2021 at 10:22 AM
I'm gonna buy it anyway, cos I am like that. However, that doesn't mean I will play it more than twice if I don't get what I want from it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#1178 Old 1st Sep 2021 at 2:04 PM
Sims 5 will be subscription based and Paralives will take the place of Sims 4 - so I'm hopeful it will be much, much better cause I have no intention of going to the Sims again, especially if it's by subscription. I surmise a lot of people are putting a lot of faith in Paralives. I'm sure that's a lot of pressure on the team. (I figure the sims team doesn't even know what pressure is anymore. Shame.)

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Alchemist
#1179 Old 5th Oct 2021 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dikosay
Sims 5 will be subscription based and Paralives will take the place of Sims 4 - so I'm hopeful it will be much, much better cause I have no intention of going to the Sims again, especially if it's by subscription. I surmise a lot of people are putting a lot of faith in Paralives. I'm sure that's a lot of pressure on the team. (I figure the sims team doesn't even know what pressure is anymore. Shame.)

If Sims 5 is subscription based(that's assuming we ever get it), it's the end of the franchise. You heard it here first.
Inventor
#1180 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I know I am in the minority here, but for me there is too much of a disconnect between the Para and the environment. One is somewhat realistic and the other looks like a cartoon. Unless this is fixed by release I will pass on this game. I know this is a WIP so hope is better later.

I'm not a big fan of the art style either. I don't care if the game is highly stylized, but I do care about the art style being consistent. The Paras are highly stylized, while the environments are, I wouldn't say realistc, but definitely more lifelike.

A game doesn't have to be ultra realistic to look great. Think of the new Life Is Strange. It's a very stylized game, but the character models are gorgeous and they fit really well with the environments:

Paralives is frankly an ugly game. And it has nothing to do with the fact its stylized, because like I said, stylized games can look gorgeous. Ultimately, I don't care about graphics that much. If the game is fun to play, I'll play it even if looks awful, but I hope the graphics improve because a lot of people won't play an ugly game, no matter how great its gameplay is.
Forum Resident
#1181 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 6:25 AM
I want to believe that the appearance of the Paras will be improved in the future. I don't like cartoon reliefs at all
Scholar
#1182 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
I want to believe that the appearance of the Paras will be improved in the future. I don't like cartoon reliefs at all

I like the paras just as they are. Hope they don't change to much. It's not a Sims game, it's a completly other game.
Forum Resident
#1183 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 1:08 PM
As they said, if the game is good I can adapt.

Although I like the genetic variety in the facial features and that look does not seem very suitable for that.

I do want it to be like the sims, at least like the sims 2 but with many more options xD
Theorist
#1184 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 5:56 PM
I mean, I'm already happy with the way the Parafolk look like right now, but I'm fairly certain they will change somewhat before release (still enoooooooooough time). If you look at the various Parafolk we've seen so far, you already can see a change and development in their looks (I for one really hope that they'll fix the height slider, so that it's really a height slider instead of scaling the proportions with the height)

But there's actually some exciting news:

According to SimmerErin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okjz7JX4ZGQ and the Paralives Patreon, the next step in development are the "basics" of Simulation Mode: interactions, animations, pathfinding.
This is freaking EXCITING! Now...don't get it wrong...this is still a loooooong way off from actual gameplay, but at least it's the first couple of fundamental aspects of life mode. I honestly thought we'd still be a year or so away from that!

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Inventor
#1185 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 10:39 PM
The fact we've been discussing Paralives for over 2 years and they STILL haven't worked on the basics of the simulation will never NOT be very concerning. I guess I'm used to indie developers actually starting with the basic systems and functionality of their game before anything else. This is a weird project since it started backwards.
Forum Resident
#1186 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
The fact we've been discussing Paralives for over 2 years and they STILL haven't worked on the basics of the simulation will never NOT be very concerning. I guess I'm used to indie developers actually starting with the basic systems and functionality of their game before anything else. This is a weird project since it started backwards.

I'm just waiting for it to release, so it can be relentlessly compared to The Sims (specifically TS2), hearing how everyone hates it because it's not the most perfect dollhouse simulator ever conceived, and is forgotten about in a month.

I have nothing against Paralives in particular, that's just what I'm fully expecting to happen.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#1187 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 5:14 AM

That is a valid concern. But given the kind of game they're making and everything that they want to do with it, combined with the small size of their team....well....I'm fine with them taking their time. There's no rush so just do what Maxis DIDN'T do with TS3 and TS4. Make sure the game is as polished as humanly possible in all aspects before releasing it. If that means spending a good chunk of time on the customization stuff first, I'm cool with it.

The Receptacle still lives!
Forum Resident
#1188 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
That is a valid concern. But given the kind of game they're making and everything that they want to do with it, combined with the small size of their team....well....I'm fine with them taking their time. There's no rush so just do what Maxis DIDN'T do with TS3 and TS4. Make sure the game is as polished as humanly possible in all aspects before releasing it. If that means spending a good chunk of time on the customization stuff first, I'm cool with it.

I get what Naus is saying though. It's not a matter of taking time, that's just part of any good game's development cycle. But if you're working on a life simulator, what do you think should take priority before anything else?

Paralives at the end of the day is shaping itself up as a Sims competitor, or at least giving the genre another take on simulating pixel people. Regardless of it being an indie team, of if they're "listening", or doing this or that. If they don't get the basics down first then they run a good chance of things breaking or not working correctly later. Good foundation first, then make the game look pretty and customizable. Game development 101.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#1189 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 6:20 AM
Oh I totally get what they're saying too. I definitely think it's weird that they're only just now getting to the gameplay elements. But I also know how demanding a game like The Sims is even for developers like Maxis, who are backed by EA. I don't know much about game design but I feel like you wouldn't go about creating a life simulator as in depth as The Sims can be, at its best, as you would with other games. Especially if you're a low(ish) budget indie team.

IDK. Am I so starved for a Sims game that feels like it's trying that I'm willing to give leeway to people who are doing all this for the first time and don't have nearly enough prior history in this genre to earn all the unwavering trust that they have from the community? Yeah, maybe. Definitely, in fact. But even when I think with my brain for a second instead of my easily swayed heart, I still feel like it's not unreasonable to assume that a big open world, highly customizable life sim made by a community funded indie team might take A LOT of time in terms of getting everything right. Just thinking from the perspective of someone who would need a lot of community support to make this happen, I think smothering people with fanservice first was a smart move. Hopefully now it's all out of their system and we can start seeing the more technical stuff soon.

The Receptacle still lives!
Lab Assistant
#1190 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 4:42 PM
I don't think that the game will be fully completed before the relase (the same situation as the Sims 4). The Paralives team did state (I don't remember where I read that) that there would be big free updates in the form of patches. However, I really hope that that won't happen and that the game will be fully completed.
Theorist
#1191 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 6:18 PM

The build and buy mode are as much gameplay in a Sims game as the Live Mode is. They just started with one aspect and now begin to implement the other.
Plus the very first teaser of Paralives was from a time when Alex was still the only person working on it, the team has since expanded. He probably started with what he could do by himself.

To me the only "concern" about this is that it will still take a long while before this is finished.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#1192 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 6:28 PM
This is a weird project since it started backwards.

EA started SimCity (2013) by building a proprietry game engine, and look what happened there...
Top Secret Researcher
#1193 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 11:34 PM
Didn't the first Sims game start out as a build/decorate type of game?
Mad Poster
#1194 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Didn't the first Sims game start out as a build/decorate type of game?

To some degree yes and it was even considered to call it Dollhouse. As I recall, Will's house burned and he made Sims in part to try to plan what they wanted to do in the build of their new house. They lost a home in a fire and Sims was created in part as a home design tool.

https://www.berkeleyside.org/2011/1...r-iosing-a-home
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#1195 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 11:20 AM
BTW it's not me doing all the disagrees (this time)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#1196 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 12:48 PM
This is what the original "The Sims" was all about. The BBC still have Will Wright's views on their news archive, given at the launch of Sims 2. There's also a page about the guinea pig disease and the ructions that caused Simmers at the time.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3645552.stm
Theorist
#1197 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 5:40 PM
And I mean say what you will about the developers of Paralives, but they are nothing but transparent about what they are doing, you can follow the development month for month here:

https://www.paralives.com/development

They even state that they are in pre-Alpha and that the game has been announced a lot sooner than a bigger studio/publisher normally does so.

Field Researcher
#1198 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 5:49 PM
I like that frank openess - no matter the reasons if other than idealism, it just is refreshing from the way Electronic Art speak to the players. I understand that some decision about reciever of TS4 talk has been made somewhere at EA and the complexity of getting a lot of people on the same train of thought and the variations and routine that fosters; but no matter the age of the percieved audience I think I would have been put off by the condescension and lack of serious information from EA about TS4 even when being a teenager.
Mad Poster
#1199 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 9:10 PM
If they can make the game have AI autonomy and action queue (playing TS2 PETS PSP is what made me reason why I enjoy the sims overall, unlike the shitty The Sims Freeplay crap), then I be hooked for gameplay and my curiousity is grabbed.

I too think they're quite stalking with live mode. We can already paint a clear image of how "CAS" and BuildBuy equivalents work and the dynamic of almost endless possibilities of shaling object. We got enough of it. I do really think it's the right time to shift the focus and reveal of what actually so far they achieved with the actual simulation. At the very least show more of the animation aspect like we seen with Sebestian and a tiny glimae of the two residents buying the house. Time for Para Lives now, as we seen plently of Para Make.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Inventor
#1200 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 2:00 AM Last edited by Naus Allien : 9th Oct 2021 at 3:14 AM.
Regardless of how The Sims as a series started (they are conflicting reports about this), both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, sequels to The Sims 1, started with the simulation.

We had this same discussion last year and a year and a half later NOTHING has changed. We're still waiting to see the Paras perform a SINGLE interaction in live mode, route to an object, interact with each other. These are BASICS of a life sim game.

There was this life sim game a programmer called Mike Hibbert was making. It was still in early development before he abadoned it, but the characters could already route to objects and interact with them. There was an actual simulation to speak of, including the passage of time and the ability to change the speed of the simulation. He had started development early that same year and by the end of the year the VERY BASICS were there.

It's not that hard to understand. You can bend over backwards to try and justify the fact there's no actual game to speak of yet, but you'll end up being just like Sims 4 EA shills. I used to be really excited about this game, but after he's been getting 40K monthly and has a team of 9+ people, the fact there is still no live mode gameplay is just baffling to me.
Page 48 of 73