Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Springville - a new Neighbourhood (only basegame needed)

by himawara106 Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 7:19 PM - Updated 5th Apr 2010 at 10:12 AM by Delphy

166 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 146 Feedback Posts, 19 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 7
Field Researcher
#26 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 1:01 AM
It does look absolutely adorable Himawara! I do agree that it could use the polish, with a scouring for items that accidentally were dropped into terrain and that the roads could use the smoothing, but the overall layout is very nice for a small town vibe. Keep it up! =)
Test Subject
#27 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 1:23 AM
i would have edited the theater and stores at the back because it looks crappy how it goes to drive out to the street and instead it drives onto grass. Anyway fairly good town.
Test Subject
#28 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 1:25 AM
This is a great neighborhood, thanks you for sharing! I have only ran into one "glitch" in game; a triangle of the road "disappears" between the three end lots by the science center and stadium but it's not that big of an issue. Other then that, I love it =)

all your base are mine
Banned
#29 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 2:13 AM Last edited by Claeric : 22nd Jan 2010 at 2:34 AM.
I'm gonna go ahe and criticize the heck out of this, if you don't mind.

It's sloppy. I do not think it fits the quality standards MTS has. They dont exactly have many for worlds, but if an outfit or home of this quality was uploaded it would've been denied, I think

Major issues:
-Camera Routing seems completely ignored, you can route all over and see all sorts of broken edges and things
-Ground sculpting seems rushed. It seems like almost no attention was paid ot detail. There are lumpy roads all over the place, the ground is flat in some places but lumpy on the details. Any and all sculpting just seems rushed- beaches are clearly just made with a quick run through of the brush, as evidenced by how it just drops off suddenly into a big curve. There's no smoothing done anywhere, all the water edges are extremely unnatural. They're all very steep and harsh edges, too. One side of the river is steep while the other is smooth...

The mountains are far too harsh and ridiculous, and one edge of the town is commpletely flat and a sudden drop into the ocean. You also are clearly trying for a near-the-ocean city, but didn't even attempt to make use of the distant terrain.

-Roads. The roads are too simple. There's only one path to most places, and there are intersection spots where there's no intersection(next to city hall) and there are intersections missing(next to the barn). Some of the roads actually disappear depending on where the camera is.

-Ground texture seems a little random. It's not very realistic at all, though the mountains look ok.

-Lots are awkwardly sized. There' no real variety to them, and you don't have mch of a choice about where you build things, because there's just no variety.

-Actual lots themselves- you used a few default ones, and didn't even attempt to fix them to fit. The graveyard, for example, has one side that touches the road- and 3 other gates which touch nothing, opening up to the grass. That does not make sense and all and shows it was just plopped down without any care.

-Object placement. You've got a few trees underwater somehow, and a few items stuck in the ground. There's also street signs on both the left and right of the street, facing the same way- street signs do not work that way. Those driving on the right have their signs on that side. Plus there's a waterfall coming from nowhere, and there's street lights sitting in the middle of the grass.

It just feels really sloppy and thrown together, and all of these things are fixable issues. In the future I'd recommend having people test and confirm things before uploading in Creator Feedback.
#30 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 3:06 AM
For those who can't install, it might have something to do with not having the latest patch. I don't have it so I can't install the hood at the moment but I just wanna say that it looks really beautiful!
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 3:37 AM
Wow! awesome job! Did you make it using the beta version of CAW? Anyway it looks awesome.

I have walked the edge of the Abyss.
I have governed the unwilling.
I have witnessed countless empires break before me.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
I have seen your future.
And I have learned.
There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 3:54 AM
Oh, I really really love this town. As Kiwi stated though it needs alittle more TLC, people take pride in thier sim creations and attention to detail is warranted. I'm going to wait alittle longer before downloading and hope that at least the roads buckling thing is fixed but other than that I cannot wait to play this map! It is utterly beautiful, awesome job!
Test Subject
#33 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 5:08 AM
Awesome. Does it come with sims in it?
Scholar
#34 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 5:20 AM
I love the concept--having the river AND the beaches. Kiwi was kind to post the photos of the problems encountered and I found them informative for my own purposes as a potential downloader and hope the Himawara finds them useful from the creator's perspective. Indeed I am very glad this lot was presented to us and it illustrates how challenging it is to get all the details down to perfection. Claeric made some spot-on observations as well, thanks.

I've been a longtime fan of your work, Himawara and played your Sims2 maps with great enjoyment and have great faith in your abilities to correct the glitches and rough edges that were pointed out. I hope you'll polish it up a bit more because I would love this map/neighborhood as overall it's what I'm looking for and it is beautiful. Sometimes Riverview and Sunset Valley seem too sprawling and vast. This is a cozy map and I like that!
Field Researcher
#35 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 7:49 AM
This is really beautiful!
Field Researcher
#36 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 8:06 AM
Hi!
Sorry for being critical, but your sims2 uploads look way, way better. This one looks very unfinished. Maybe you should polish it a little bit?
Especially camera rooting and roads placement - it seems ackward.
(I apologize for mistakes this is not my native language.)
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 9:35 AM
This is so pretty and tidy :D
Well done!
If you could fix the places that kiwi_tea has pointed, it would be PERFECT!

downloaded, favorited
Thank you :D

cactusimotion
Test Subject
#38 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 10:00 AM Last edited by martula : 22nd Jan 2010 at 4:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SethRex2009
What is a rabbit hole?

Rabbit hole is a place where your sim walks in and you can't see him inside. Ex. restaurant, work place etc
Inventor
Original Poster
#39 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 11:57 AM
Hi! Wow - so many thanks and comments.

I thank you all for your suggestions - thanks to Kiwi for the pics! This helps me improve the map.
Since this upload submission process (which lasted a while) I have redone this map. I improved it and added more lots, but I have to create the rabbitholes for this new map. So I am not finished with it at the moment.
I know I have to practice more with the tool, but I played this hood and enjoyed it.

Either way stay tuned, for a revised map with more possibilities to place lots and with corrections of glitches.

You never know what’s comin’ for ya.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 1:39 PM
Very beautiful!
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 1:51 PM
I realize that the creator asked for feedback and that is what Kiwi did, very constructively. On the other hand Claeric your post was totally rude and unconstructive feedback. If MTS thought it was good enough then it was. It's really not your place to monitor what is acceptable for this site. This is the first neighborhood to be uploaded and I think they did a damn good job. Frankly I don't understand why you haven't been banned from this site alltogether.
Test Subject
#42 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 2:11 PM
I am so happy about this one. I've really wanted more neighborhoods and this one looks great.
Instructor
#43 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 2:26 PM
WOW! Thank you!
Test Subject
#44 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 3:34 PM
Nice job! Thank you!
Banned
#45 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Suzicube
I realize that the creator asked for feedback and that is what Kiwi did, very constructively. On the other hand Claeric your post was totally rude and unconstructive feedback. If MTS thought it was good enough then it was. It's really not your place to monitor what is acceptable for this site. This is the first neighborhood to be uploaded and I think they did a damn good job. Frankly I don't understand why you haven't been banned from this site alltogether.

All I did was post feedback. I posted major, inexcusable issues for an upload. Again, I know for a fact if someone uploaded clothing or an object with missing seams, broken edges, lumpy areas that are meant to be flat, unfinished textures, inconsistent shaping...it would be denied. But the moderators dont TEST items- they simply look at screenshots. A worldi s too big to notice those things from 8 screenshots, so it's up to the users to point them out so they can be fixed, is all, to improve it. That's typically what creator feedback is for- the mods dont test items to see potential issues, it's a job for users.
Test Subject
#46 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 4:50 PM
does it come with sims in it ? :D
Retired
retired moderator
#47 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 5:22 PM
Claeric, tone it down a little. You repeated a lot of what I'd already said, and you did it using a needlessly provocative tone, eg: 'I'm gonna go ahe and criticize the heck out of this, if you don't mind.'

It didn't matter whether or not Himawara minded or not to you, clearly. To pretend it might have mattered seems disingenuous. You were simply going to do it, and the 'if your don't mind' was your way of stating: 'I don't care what you mind.' Your whole tone came across as trying to punish the creator, not to help them.

I agree. The world should have gone through more quality assurance. I also agree the presentation of the world doesn't mesh with the requirements for worlds in the Wiki here. That's not my call though, and I respect the mod's right to make their own call. Springville is a nice world on its way to being a great work, and Himawara has said he/she is making it nicer. That's all that matters at this point, and we should drop all the excess banter and give him/her our support and polite constructive feedback.
Test Subject
#48 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 6:02 PM
looks cool, but where do i place the file? :s never downloaded a hood before.
Test Subject
#49 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 7:20 PM
OOoo it seemed so nice to play in your neighbourhood (sloppy or not...whatever), but my downloadm. is telling me that I need the latest update (im playing with WA 2.8).You said only basegame needed????? Help please......
Wiki Wizard
#50 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 7:42 PM
Wow this is SO sweet, thank you so much, i love all the little bits of detail and the mountainous areas! brilliant job on this!

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Page 2 of 7