Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2010 at 1:00 PM Last edited by jonha : 14th May 2010 at 1:12 PM.
Default [Global Script Mod] Test Tube Babies
This is my first attempt at making a script mod.

This mod allows your sims to get a DNA sample from themselves at the hospital.

Then you can put this sample into the inventory of another sim, who can then use it to get pregnant, without needing to woohoo or having a relationship at all.
Additionally you can adjust the gender of the baby because the DNA probe will either contain an X or an Y Chromosome.

Now I need your feedback:
- Should a sim be able to get pregnant with his own DNA? Currently it's possible and a sim will essentially clone himself.

- Any idea how the DNA sample should look like in game? Currently it's a rubber ducky . Maybe someone can even create a model for me?

- Currently it's made in a (sort of) realistic way. Females can of course get pregnant with male DNA as usual. Additionally females can get pregnant with female DNA, but this can only result in girls, because there is no Y-Chromosome, of course. Males can't get pregnant, female teens can although I may adjust that.

- Currently there is no restriction on who can create a DNA sample and who can use it. For example you can get a baby with your daughters DNA, with your grandfathers or even with your own, as already said. This may result in a very weird genealogy tree. Any opinions on this?

- Any idea for additional gameplay options? I'm thinking of a sperm bank and the option to get pregnant with some random DNA. Maybe you have some better suggestions...

Please posts your enhancement ideas so I can finish this soon. Here are some screen shots of the current mod, and yes, I will capitalize the interactions.

New interaction at hospitals

DNA sample has been made

Showing the DNA info.

Clicking on the DNA sample

Got pregnant at hospital
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 14th May 2010 at 2:46 PM
I currently use Twallan's "Pollinate" option under his Supercomputer.
However, here's what I feel you should do about the cloning:

Have a sim collect his/her DNA sample from the clinic, and if they want to clone themselves, they need to take it to the Science facility. Now this can work two-ways (provided both are moddable):
- The sim impregnates themself. Hence the whole wait.
- Instant!Baby. Because super-incubators work.

That's all I got to say. Now I want my male/gay sims to have babies too, and since you don't want men going preggers, can you work surrogation into your mod? If so, then I'm all for this one over using the Twallan alternative.
Banned
#3 Old 14th May 2010 at 4:22 PM
- Any idea how the DNA sample should look like in game? Currently it's a rubber ducky . Maybe someone can even create a model for me?

Mercury vial.

Field Researcher
#4 Old 14th May 2010 at 4:25 PM
I really like the whole idea for your mod.

I think you should leave the option for a sim to get pregnant with their own dna. I'm sure there are some sims out there who want a clone of themselves

Symbol for DNA sample.. maybe a funky test tube? rubber ducky is funny tho.

I like having all the different combos of people being able to get pregnant and who they get pregnant by - man/woman... woman/woman etc. I do think you should leave the teen pregnancy in there... or if possible make it an option? I can see that men can't have babies lol, but I like Nygmanix's idea of a surrogate - if that is at all possible? Because lots of male/gay couples adopt or us surrogate mothers. It would mean they could have their own baby.

Hmm I can see how the family trees would get messed up!! I wouldn't have my sims get pregnant with family members...so for me I wouldn't mind if it wasn't possible. But if you leave the option in then people can choose what they want.

I like the sperm bank idea. Maybe you can have it where sims can sell their DNA to the sperm bank (and the fitter you are the more money you get?), and then they have to decide if it's an annonymous donation or not. If it's an annonymous donation, they have to fill out a few facts about themselves.. or give a few personality traits.
Then, when a sim decides to go to the sperm bank to choose a doner, she can choose from the anonymous files or choose a known doner... kinda like in real life. You go through the 'fact sheets' about the annonymous doners and pick the ones with the traits you want. OR you choose a 'known doner' and have his or her baby, and if you choose that option you can decide if the known doner is notified about the baby or not? (maybe that's way too much to ask though.. no idea what you can and can't do!!)
So.. at the sperm bank you can either choose to use a totally random DNA sample, or, you can choose your annonymous doner by what their fact/information sheet says, or, you can choose a known doner.

did that make sense? lol

I'm looking forward to this, I think it's a great idea

~ Nyn ~
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th May 2010 at 5:20 PM
@ Nygmanix: Thanks for your feedback.

I know of Twallan's Supercomputer, but this way looks very cheaty to me.

Doing "advanced stuff" at the science lab is a good idea. But I think it doesn't make a really big difference to get pregnant with your own genes instead of getting pregnant with genes from another female person. Maybe I should put all female/female pregnancies at the science lab? On the other hand, this will add inconsistency and you will not get a real benefit by this except complexity.

Of course I can add male/male pregnancy. It's a matter of 2-3 lines of code. It will be probably a separate version of the mod, just because I want my mods to be as realistic as possible, and, well, males have no uterus.

Quote: Originally posted by DownloadStuff
Mercury vial.

Very good idea. You are awesome.

Quote: Originally posted by Nyn
Symbol for DNA sample.. maybe a funky test tube? rubber ducky is funny tho.

I think I will take the mercury vial with small modifications. I just used the rubber ducky because I needed a small objects that fits in sims hands and has not too much interactions too complicate everything.

Quote:
I like having all the different combos of people being able to get pregnant and who they get pregnant by - man/woman... woman/woman etc. I do think you should leave the teen pregnancy in there... or if possible make it an option? I can see that men can't have babies lol, but I like Nygmanix's idea of a surrogate - if that is at all possible? Because lots of male/gay couples adopt or us surrogate mothers. It would mean they could have their own baby.

How exactly would using surrogate mothers work? Because of course I can't put the DNA of two males together in one mother. And just impregnating the woman with the DNA of one man is already possible. Of course you could fix the parenthood so that both male people are listed as father, but I don't know if the game likes creating a pregnancy where the woman with the baby isn't the mother. Additionally it would be difficult to have an UI for this, as you had to choose your partner and at the same time the surrogate mother.

Quote:
I like the sperm bank idea. Maybe you can have it where sims can sell their DNA to the sperm bank (and the fitter you are the more money you get?), and then they have to decide if it's an annonymous donation or not. If it's an annonymous donation, they have to fill out a few facts about themselves.. or give a few personality traits.
Then, when a sim decides to go to the sperm bank to choose a doner, she can choose from the anonymous files or choose a known doner... kinda like in real life. You go through the 'fact sheets' about the annonymous doners and pick the ones with the traits you want. OR you choose a 'known doner' and have his or her baby, and if you choose that option you can decide if the known doner is notified about the baby or not? (maybe that's way too much to ask though.. no idea what you can and can't do!!)
So.. at the sperm bank you can either choose to use a totally random DNA sample, or, you can choose your annonymous doner by what their fact/information sheet says, or, you can choose a known doner.

did that make sense? lol

Thanks. Sounds like a good idea. Really anonymous donations aren't possible, though, just because the game itself knows who is the father, so it will assign him as the father in the family tree and give the father the "It's a boy/girl" moodlets and so on. Of course if he lives in a different household it will not be really relevant.

But I could at least do it in a way where you don't know the father before the impregnation.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 14th May 2010 at 6:21 PM
Nothing special to add, only that this is one of the neatest ideas I've seen for this game. ;D Super excited to see how it comes out.

I'd love the mercury vial to glow purple or something, or have "smoke" from cryo. lol. Maybe that's too complicated. As for the surrogate mother problem, can you do something were when you go to the hospital or science lab, you can choose from the available female donors as a surrogate? I mean, if there are 4 'moms' available, you choose one and put whatever male DNA you want in it. That way, you get the choice of both male and female dna. The mom could then come home with you or something till the baby is born. Then, kick her out! LOL. I guess you have to give donor women the option to JUST donate, or donate & surrogate. Hmm. I have no idea if that's even possible. It would have to be simbin sims I guess.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th May 2010 at 8:42 PM
I will think about it. The easiest way to do this surrogate mother thing is probably to spawn a random service NPC sim (or multiple to choose from). I don't think using a list of existing sims is possible, because there are very many things to take into account. For example they could be at work, could be already pregnant, could randomly get homeless, could die, could become elder, etc.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 5:39 AM
Just wondering if anything came of this. I came across this thread while hunting for a sperm bank to download. Thanks!
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 4:42 PM
This sounds great, I would love for my single ladies to have a baby when they want one, not when they've settled for one of the few eligible bachelors in town.
The surrogate idea also sounds good, it would be interesting to see how the game would react to that.
Instructor
#10 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 10:03 PM
This idea sounds great! I can see it being a good tool for evil golddigger sims as well as single ladies who want a family.

I read your posts, and maybe you already explained this and I missed it, but how would this work exactly? For example could a sperm donor give sperm for it to only be used years later? How long would the DNA sample last? Also, when the female goes to the hospital to get a DNA sample does she get to choose who the donor is and if it's a boy or a girl? How would that work? Would a list pop up with all the potential samples? Almost like the the list that pops up when you "open bookshelf" in game?

Late dawns and early sunsets just like my favorite scenes
Then holding hands and life was perfect just like up on the screen
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 10:28 PM
No suggestions to make, I just wanted to say that this is a really excellent idea jonha! Especially the sperm bank part. I really hope this is still going
Instructor
#12 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 10:41 PM
Oh nevermind! I see it now.

Late dawns and early sunsets just like my favorite scenes
Then holding hands and life was perfect just like up on the screen
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 4:50 AM
Ooo, nothing really to add other than this is awesome! Love the sperm bank idea and all. Think the surrogate mother thing should be something to look into also. Love this and hope you get something done & uploaded.
Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2010 at 4:05 AM
In a nutshell, i would advise making a "cheat" version of the mod that would allow male pregnancies and instant cloning. And perhaps a female donor could have the ability to donate both male and female DNA (what would it show for a girl born from 2 women as the parents?)
Test Subject
#15 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 5:29 AM
Default Awesome!!!
This is a great idea i never really liked the whole male pregnancy thing and i think that it would be awesome for my sims... The only thing i can think of to make it more realistic is you should add the option for there to need to be a high relationship status with the surrogate mother... because seriously who just lets some random person carry their baby. Or you could set up a service on the phone that creates a random NPC to be the surrogate mother, kinda like placing an add in the newspaper, which if anyone lives in a big city i am sure they have seen before.
Test Subject
#16 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 3:46 AM
This sound amazing, i have a male gay couple in one of my neighborhoods, and i would LOVE to let them have a baby together...I think you should add the male pregnancy.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#17 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 8:54 AM Last edited by Buzzler : 25th Jul 2010 at 9:43 AM.
@jonha: Just saw this after accidently stumbling into this area. This is a nice idea and one I had myself for quite some time. I just never got to it to make it. It's been a bit since you last replied to this thread. Are you still working on it?

My thoughts about this:

- The stuff with the DNA samples you take home with you seems a bit weird. That sample would become deteriorated in no time unless the pockets of your jeans are filled with liquid nitrogen. Why not make the sims in question enter the clinic together?

- Regarding the surrogate mothers: The pregancy has its own references to mommy and daddy and it will cause the pregnancy walk and belly and even going into labor by using the mom's reference. Plus it will call methods after the newborn has been created to build the genealogy.
To actually implement surrogate mothers or anonymous DNA samples, I see two possibilities: The less-intrusive but probably annoying method would be to catch and choke all attempts of the game engine to do anything to the "wrong" sims and do it yourself to the "right" sims. The more-intrusive but way cleaner method would be to implement your own pregnancy class.

- Choosing the surrogate mother shouldn't be a big deal. It probably makes sense if it is a family friend anyway. Just invite her to your sims' home and make her go to the clinic with the sims. The pregnancy will stop her from aging up to the next stage (which includes dying of old age). And if anything else makes her go out of scope... well, shit happens, right? Your sims will have to try again.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 5:32 PM
Just wanted to say I love this idea jonha!
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jedman67
In a nutshell, i would advise making a "cheat" version of the mod that would allow male pregnancies and instant cloning. And perhaps a female donor could have the ability to donate both male and female DNA

I will think about it.

Quote:
(what would it show for a girl born from 2 women as the parents?)

Both will show up as mother.

Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
The stuff with the DNA samples you take home with you seems a bit weird. That sample would become deteriorated in no time unless the pockets of your jeans are filled with liquid nitrogen. Why not make the sims in question enter the clinic together?

Lets pretend, you get a paper with your DNA-sample-ID to take home. I think creating an action that involves 2 Sims and a rabbit hole is rather difficult to manage. Both in programming as in gameplay.

Additionally, the old way, you can create multiple samples and use only these who have your preferred gender/whatever.

Quote:
To actually implement surrogate mothers or anonymous DNA samples, I see two possibilities: The less-intrusive but probably annoying method would be to catch and choke all attempts of the game engine to do anything to the "wrong" sims and do it yourself to the "right" sims. The more-intrusive but way cleaner method would be to implement your own pregnancy class.

Implementing an own pregnancy class sounds difficult.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 7:09 PM
If you do allow male pregnancies, I would prefer a separate mod as well. I also like realism. I do like the surrogate thing though. I did this in Sims 2 using some mod where I choose the female and had her get pregnant with one of the men in a male-male relationship. The mom moved in with the two guys and lived with them until after the baby was born and then moved out. So they were essentially the parents of the baby. I used another mod to reassign the parents..but not sure I could do male-male parents at that time but I bet Twallans computer does that. So its very possible to do this without a special class or spawning females, etc. Doesn't feel too unrealistic either since its not uncommon for surrogate mothers to spend time with the parents of the infant before it is born.
#21 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
I think creating an action that involves 2 Sims and a rabbit hole is rather difficult to manage. Both in programming as in gameplay.
Have a look at the RabbitHoleInteraction class and an actual implementation like the RestaurantInteraction class. The needed code is already there. And regarding gameplay: You do manage to make a sim eat at a restaurant with others, don't you?

Quote:
Additionally, the old way, you can create multiple samples and use only these who have your preferred gender/whatever.
I somehow miss the point. How is that exclusive to the takeout DNA sample?

Quote:
Implementing an own pregnancy class sounds difficult.
No, it would still have to be a pregnancy, so it would have to be derived from the Pregnancy class. And Pregnancy has no virtual or override members, so you can only add stuff anyway, i.e. a changed callback method to update the pregnancy (you would have to bend the alarmhandle to that callback) and changed methods to create the newborns. Seems like a reasonable effort.

Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:35 PM
Have a look at the RabbitHoleInteraction class and an actual implementation like the RestaurantInteraction class. The needed code is already there. And regarding gameplay: You do manage to make a sim eat at a restaurant with others, don't you?

Of course it's possible, but I really don't see why this should be better.

I somehow miss the point. How is that exclusive to the takeout DNA sample?

Well, you are suggesting both sims are entering the hospital and the female one (or the initiator?) gets immediately pregnant? Then you can't choose between samples. Or are you suggesting, both get together in and create a sample of "already mixed dna"? This would be possible although I think it's a little weird. On the other hand it would make surrogate mothers easier.

No, it would still have to be a pregnancy, so it would have to be derived from the Pregnancy class. And Pregnancy has no virtual or override members, so you can only add stuff anyway, i.e. a changed callback method to update the pregnancy (you would have to bend the alarmhandle to that callback) and changed methods to create the newborns. Seems like a reasonable effort.

Sure, it would be possible, but I don't know how the game will handle this. Imagine for example uninstalling the mod while a derived pregnancy is active. I really can't imagine what will happen then. But I will think about it and maybe test it.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#23 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:36 PM
Just one thing: getting a DNA sample and then cloning or IVF or whatever this tube baby would be should cost WAY more than $50. :P

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
#24 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Of course it's possible, but I really don't see why this should be better.
I think it's a better solution than objects in sims' inventories.

Quote:
Well, you are suggesting both sims are entering the hospital and the female one (or the initiator?) gets immediately pregnant?
I was talking about the surrogate mother stuff. Then all three sims should enter the clinic and the surrogate mother would be immediately pollinated.

For ye olde IVF, I would suggest two different interactions: One that lets sims donate their stuff at the clinic and one that lets other sims be pollinated by that stuff.

Quote:
Sure, it would be possible, but I don't know how the game will handle this. Imagine for example uninstalling the mod while a derived pregnancy is active. I really can't imagine what will happen then.
The game will almost definitely fail to load that savegame. Same goes for every custom interaction or situation.

You could just bend the alarmhandle to a custom method outside of the pregnancy class. Makes the coding more difficult, though.

Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven_sent_8_18
Just one thing: getting a DNA sample and then cloning or IVF or whatever this tube baby would be should cost WAY more than $50. :P

Has already been raised. I think getting the sample still costs around 50$, and the impregnation costs about 500$. If you want to suggest different nubers, you may do so, but I don't want to make this too expensive. Because getting pregnant the old way costs nothing, and the result is always the same (pregnancy). You are only paying here for a little bit more freedom.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2