Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 3:24 AM Last edited by Hrongald : 1st May 2005 at 9:55 PM.
Default GMAX Sims 2 Wavefront OBJ Importer/Exporter
Hello. This is my first post to this site, so I hope this is the right place for this.

I modified the OBJ file importer created by Chris Cookson ([email protected]) to handle the files exported by SimPE better. It also incorporates the OBJ exporter script developed by SimWardrobe to work with the utility found at http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43350.

The script should be placed in the "scripts/startup" folder of the gmax installation directory. The code can then be accessed on the "Utilities" panel (the one with the little hammer on top) under the "MAXScript" rollout by choosing the "Sims 2 OBJ Import/Export" item from the combo box. The buttons are fairly self-explanatory from there.

I have tested the script only with body OBJ files, so I don't know if it will work for objects or hair meshes. It does some remapping of the UV coordinates which might cause problems if they are different for these types of meshes.

I have tested it with multiple groups in a single file, and it appears to work okay. Each group appears as a separate object in GMAX, with its own UV map.

The script looks for an bitmap file with the same name as the OBJ file and if one can not be found, it will prompt the user for a bitmap file. The UV map can then be edited using the normal technique in GMAX.

The script exports normals which appear to be okay, at least on the case I tested. I won't say for certain that they will be okay for all meshes, however.

This script is released "As is". I may make changes or upgrades in the future, but I don't promise anything.

01 May 2005

I upgraded the script to correctly export models with multiple groups in them. The groups have to be imported by the upgraded script for this feature to work correctly. It will retain the order of the groups and export them in the same order they were read. You have to select all the groups for this feature to work correctly.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  importobj_v0.2.rar (4.5 KB, 399 downloads)
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 3:25 AM
Hmm, I assume this would probably work with 3D Studio Max as well since it also makes use of MAXScript. I've always exported to 3DS and then converted from 3DS to Milkshape myself, but I'll give this a try.

*edit: Hmm, I think you forgot to upload the attachment.
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 3:34 AM
Sorry about that. I accidently hit the return key before I was ready.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 1:28 PM
If it works with 3DS that would be great, its quite tedious hauling objects in and out of milkshape although 3DS seems to have issues with truncating mesh names which fuzzles me somewhat (along with soooo many other things!).

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Test Subject
#5 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 7:18 PM
I just tested with 3d studio max 5 and it works
Field Researcher
#6 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 2:01 PM
ok...i am able to create an obj. file from gmax...but the question is...where do i find it on my comp? And do I still need to use that usless MilkShape because it doesn't seem to recognize it.
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 10:48 PM
when i use it with gmax were does the file go when i export it???
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st May 2005 at 7:37 PM
xrax:

The SWOBJEXPORT utility determines where the file is put on your computer. It should still be able to be read by Milkshape (my test mesh was) and if it is not, I don't know what to do. The resulting mesh should be just like the original one in format.

madmoney:

The exports go to a "Script Listener" in GMAX. This can be accessed from a button on the panel where the import/export script is found or from "MAXScript" menu.

The script listener opens a window with a text area which contains the exported OBJ file. You can try copy and pasting from the script listener to a text file, but this is not easy as the listener will only allow a limited number of characters to be selected at a time (at least in GMAX). This means you have to copy and paste a bunch of small portions of the file at a time, making sure you don't miss any lines.

The SWOBJEXPORT utility facilitates this operation by copying and pasting the information found in the script listener to a file for you. I highly recommend using this utility if you want to use GMAX to export OBJ files using my script.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 1st May 2005 at 11:59 PM
Thanx Hrongald...I found out what I did wrong and I will now share that coz I don't want anyone else to do that I did.
In the file output name I kept entering the name of the current file being exported to OBJ. So instead of saving it somewhere it just overwrote the existing gmax file...this is why milkshape couldn't read it.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd May 2005 at 1:29 PM
Cool!Thx!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 6:02 PM
really helpful...only thing, might add a read me file to tell where to extract files to.

Thanx,
Field Researcher
#12 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 3:47 PM Last edited by Max3D : 8th Jul 2005 at 3:57 PM.
cooll!!!!
mabye this time i build some obj =)

hem.. the link (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43350)
doens't work anymore

ops... look that script doenst work with 3dsmax 7 ? :werd:
i need the obj plugin installed ?... if yes where can i take it ?

:weep: :weep: :weep:
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 4:36 AM
Gnostic Dreamer: The file should be extracted to the scripts file in GMAX. Open up Gmax, go to MAXscripts in the Utilities tab (the "hammer" icon) you will see it in the text box. Click on the text box to open it and then just select import.

Note: It works fine as a object importer, however as an object exporter, it does not and is WAY off scale.

Max3D: You can easily find a .3ds to .obj (and vice versa) importer/exporter or file converter. Just Google it. I've seen it before.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 6:35 PM
Please, can you post the link of the export .obj?

pleaseeeee