Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:13 AM
Default Strategy Guide thoughts
So I got the Sims 3, and the Collector's Edition Game Guide. I must say that the guide was worth the 17$ that I had paid for it. It is supposed to be 20$ but it rang up wrong and I got a deal. haha. Regardless I definitely recommend it to players who might dislike the game. After reading the entire guide it made playing easier to understand. I really like how all of the traits are explained and positive/negative effects each can have. I also thought that they explain each career indepth. Anyone else's thoughts?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:24 AM
I was thinking of picking up one of these myself but i rather learn from playing instead of reading the book I'm to lazy to do it that way lol
Field Researcher
#3 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:28 AM
Yeah... I mentioned in another forum, to someone who wasn't happy with their game, that they should try reading the strategy guide to get the most out of their game. I don't think you'll ever know what you're missing if you don't have this guide. Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying you ALL HAVE to go out and get it, but it IS DEFINITELY worth the money. ESPECIALLY if you're one of those who is sitting there right now thinking the game SUCKS and you can't believe you wasted your hard-earned money on it. Believe me... it doesn't and you didn't

EDIT: That may sound like a paid endorsement but I think some of you know that if I thought something about the game sucked, you all would be the FIRST to know in SPADES!
Instructor
#4 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:43 AM
I think the strategy guide is great, it has told me about loads that I didn't know. The sims can be really indepth and I don't get a lot of free time to sit and play so its great to know what you can do (and how to do it) so I can then pick what I want to delve into and not waste my precious sims playing time on stuff that I won't like in the end.

^_^
#5 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:14 AM
It's very imformative but I wish they would have put an index in it.Also they mistakenly said that swimming is the only interaction in pools.The others are splash and hold breath the longest underwater with.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:18 AM
I have it, and I'm kind of meh. It's not as entertaining as TS1 or TS2, but helpful. -motions to sig-

Winning the Game
Don't be absurd. This is a Maxis game! What's to win? You and your sims can play unto perpetuity, getting into entanglements and trying to get out, and by the time you know it, it will be 3am your time, and you don't even have your teeth brushed...
--The Sims 1 Prima Guide
Test Subject
#7 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 10:35 AM
i pre-ordered a prima guide off amazon.co.uk but the site still says that the book hasnt been released. i havent seen it in any game shops on friday when i was buying my game so i ciouldnt buy it.
Inventor
#8 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 10:43 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again, guides are a complete waste of money, any info in the guides i can get from simply playing the game or looking it up on the net, wich wouldn't take more then 5 minutes tops.

And you can't even use the guide in other ways, not absorbant enough...

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Test Subject
#9 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 11:23 AM
Hi,

the german prima guide is a waste of money, except for some good informations, e.g. the fertilize value of some fertilizers or the benefits of traits.
I knew 95% of its content without reading, just from playing.

And some even more intresting informations are missing, e.g. how long does a moneytree or limetree live?

Reg Gonmag
Field Researcher
#10 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
I said it before and I'll say it again, guides are a complete waste of money, any info in the guides i can get from simply playing the game or looking it up on the net, wich wouldn't take more then 5 minutes tops.

And you can't even use the guide in other ways, not absorbant enough...

Generally, I would agree with you. However, this being a base game with new UI, and things to do, and whatnot, I figured it might be useful. And it HAS been... for ME But you have to judge for yourself, ya know?! If you think MAYBE there's a chance there's some useful information in there that you probably wouldn't have come across otherwise, then you might want to get it. If you doubt it, then don't get it... it's all a matter of what you consider making it worth your while.