Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 7:01 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 5th Sep 2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: no files in cff
Default A Cozy Modern "Cabin"
Hi, everyone! I've been working on a new lot with a unique, simple style. I'd like some input to make it really shine.

My goals:

- Make the most of a small lot (20x25!).
- Have an interesting design while still keeping it simple.
- Make Sims focus on being outdoors.
- Use only content from TS3, Ambitions, and Seasons.

Here's some screenshots, and I've attached a .zip of the current lot to play with, as well.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 12:11 PM
the architectural style
is awesome. looks complex since you know how to use walls and roofs to create a specific look. i am smitten with that! yes mission accomplished in keeping it simple, since i love "boxy" homes one can make best use of the space available as player. nice touch!
further i totally love the idea to create a small lot that only needs few EPs (better would only be none but thats only a personal opinion of course)

encouraging sims to be outside:
yes a lot of usable objects on the balcony / terrace? but what about a garden....?! so i miss usable and enjoyable "items" on the garden floor level. that could be improved.
also a small house is challenging i know - especially if one wants to put as many objects in to have a complete interiour. it can easily get wee "tight" in there. not only for the couple that sleeps in the double bed, but what if the neighbours, colleges and friends come visiting by? it totally looks cozy dont get me wrong but i am always concerned about routing. e.p. the bedroom has only one free tile around the bed. the door that leads to the outside (that should be used frequently as you say) is a traffic bottleneck par excellence. i would overthink that.

but you know all in all a very interesting, realistic awesome looking lot you created there. i am curiously waiting for updates.

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Scholar
#3 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 10:24 PM
I like the concept, and the first thing that strikes me as something I would do if I were to download it is that I would change the colour of the railings and columns outside as at the moment they seem too bold. I'd change them so that they are a very similar colour to the window frames. The other thing that I would change is the full bathroom downstairs. Given the nature of the room it is in and the fact that it can only really be accessed by the garage door, I'd consider removing it altogether. Or I'd keep it and rearrange the internal layout of the whole place to move the living room and front door downstairs, but this idea would ruin the whole concept of what you've done so far. So in reality, I'd just change the colours of the railings and columns.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 1:34 AM
@schmovese @Fergus' Mind

Thanks for the input, guys! With your suggestions, I think I've made this lot ready for prime time.

+ Added stairs in the back for routing.
+ Added a door to the bottom floor (mostly an oversight).
+ Unified the color of the railing, columns, and windows (it really does look better).
+ Moved the stereo outside, to help focus attention to the porch and to remove and indoor dance & routing disaster.
+ Put the washer and dryer in the downstairs bathroom, which is more realistic.

Routing wasn't an issue when I played with a couple. Indoor parties are messy, though. Keep 'em outside! I liked the idea of a garden, schmovese, but my landscaping skills aren't up to par to create something that I was satisfied with. I'd love to see what you can do with my lot, though.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 4:52 PM
I would move the door to the downstairs to be closer to the back stairs, maybe swap the window and that table to where the door is now.

Also, why not put a full wall in to separate the garage from the living space? As a player, that is the first change I would make. (my garage is smelly!)
Forum Resident
#6 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 5:07 PM Last edited by shmovese : 10th Sep 2014 at 2:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ElementMK
I liked the idea of a garden, schmovese, but my landscaping skills aren't up to par to create something that I was satisfied with. I'd love to see what you can do with my lot, though.

doubt you wanna see. my game style likely is lot creators nightmare. the house is going to be a mess in two days soon after my hobo-punker-rocker-noobs moved in

but thats not the point of course:
love the changes. landscaping? i thought a fire pit outside would do the trick (but they are EP so skip that) or...a "juice"bar... but the house is still awesome.

edit: congrats on the upload man!

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>