Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 4:41 AM
Default Export not working
I was thrilled to have Blender available for meshing.

While I cannot use Blender (I'm not at all skilled with it), I can use other programs and import from there.

What I tried to was import a mapped .OBJ from somewhere else, delete the the import .S3asc file and re-save the new file. When I export, I get an "Error: Export Successful" window that pops up, but when I re-import the file I saved, the original remains. I'm wondering if my inexperience is preventing me from using this properly, or if the Blender 2.8 isn't working with the plugins. I don't know, but does anyone know how to solve the problem?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I was thrilled to have Blender available for meshing.

While I cannot use Blender (I'm not at all skilled with it), I can use other programs and import from there.

What I tried to was import a mapped .OBJ from somewhere else, delete the the import .S3asc file and re-save the new file. When I export, I get an "Error: Export Successful" window that pops up, but when I re-import the file I saved, the original remains. I'm wondering if my inexperience is preventing me from using this properly, or if the Blender 2.8 isn't working with the plugins. I don't know, but does anyone know how to solve the problem?
I'm assuming that by Blender 2.8 you mean 2.58a. Did you download the Blender plugin version 1.31 from 7/3?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 2:01 AM
Yes and Yes. Sorry for getting the name wrong.

I don't know what happened. I can import meshes no problem, but the export seems to fail for some reason.

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#4 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 3:08 AM
The plugins do work with the latest Blender. Could you the describe the process you used to export, please?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 4:08 AM
I click on file > then export > .S3asc, and I find a file to replace, since I cannot create a new one. The message reads, after the failed export Error: Export Successful, but nothing gets replaced.

The most I do in Blender is import a file from someplace else, since I can't make heads or tails of blender, but that shouldn't be a problem since I've also tried exporting with blender meshes as well.

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 9:59 PM
When you import the mesh, you have to swap it with one of the original groups. Check the instructions in the Blender Plugin thread.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 9:10 PM
Thank you very very much for helping with a really simple, and pointless, problem. I'm on my way now, thanks. ^_^

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 7:00 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 5th Aug 2011 at 7:54 AM.
Since I didn't want to make a new thread, and since you've all been helpful, I though I'd ask here.

I can't seem to keep my imported item's UV maps the same - which I edited in UV Mapper. The minute I switch the two meshes and export the mesh, then re-import it back into blender, the UV mapping (Which was perfect before) goes insane. Is there a way to fix this?

Edit: Actually, it's all UV mapping. I just checked.

It looks like this:

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#9 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 2:43 PM
Before you export, (actually, I would do it before I do the swap) you have to add a Edge Split Modifier to the mesh and apply it. If a vertex is split on your map, it has to be split on you mesh.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 5:32 PM
Thank you thank that you SO MUCH! Everything is working well now and my mapping perfect. ^_^

THANKS AGAIN!