Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th May 2012 at 5:21 PM Last edited by bluetexasbonnie : 15th May 2012 at 1:03 AM.
Default Error when baking the multiplier in blender.
I am neonatal to blender & S3 object creation, ... i.e. I am following Orange Mitten's Tutorial (Thanks OM!) and haven't made it to the end yet. So I am sure this is a problem with something I have done (or not done), but I am stumped. Hope someone can help.

1. Downloaded Blender 2.62 (after uninstalling the more current version).
2. Set blender up per cmomoney's tutorial on set up for Blender 2.5. (Thank you so much for that tutorial.)
3. Imported Orange Mitten's example table.
4. Baked multiplier. Worked fine. However, I could not save as .dds, so I went looking for answers. Downloaded & installed cmomoney's "Save as .dds Addon".
5. Tried to bake the multiplier, and got the attached error.
6. Uninstalled everything and did it all again after a good nights sleep -- assuming I screwed up or forgot something in the dark of the night. Unfortunately sleep did not help.. I have the same error.

I have tried baking the specular and it works just fine (and saves as a .dds -- isn't that spiffy. )

Thank you in advance. I need all the help I can get.
Screenshots

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#2 Old 13th May 2012 at 6:16 PM
Try making sure the mesh is selected before trying to bake, this could be the cause of the error. If that doesn't work, please post here again.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th May 2012 at 6:23 PM
Table top is selected (I think). I right click on the mesh, the outline changes color and the EZ-bake window appears.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Alchemist
#4 Old 13th May 2012 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bluetexasbonnie
Table top is selected (I think). I right click on the mesh, the outline changes color and the EZ-bake window appears.
BTB which table are you importing? I ask because ordinarily the one I enclosed in the tutorial .rar should show up in Blender as solid white and in your picture it is pink. Does it show up pink everytime you've imported it in?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th May 2012 at 9:56 PM
It is white, ... in this pic I had tried adding a texture, to see if that made any difference since the error talked about not finding an image. It is the same error, with or without adding texture. It would have been 'cleaner' if I had done the screen shot without the texture, but I didn't think about it.
Screenshots

Alchemist
#6 Old 13th May 2012 at 10:02 PM
It is white, ... in this pic I had tried adding a texture, to see if that made any difference since the error talked about not finding an image. It is the same error, with or without adding texture. It would have been 'cleaner' if I had done the screen shot without the texture, but I didn't think about it.
The process you're describing sounds like you're doing things correctly. Are you still able to bake the multiplier if you don't have the .dds tool installed?
Alchemist
#7 Old 13th May 2012 at 11:21 PM
Sorry for the double post...but could you also say what OS you have? If you're still having issue I would like to send you something to test out to see if it helps.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th May 2012 at 11:39 PM Last edited by bluetexasbonnie : 14th May 2012 at 2:13 AM.
I haven't tried 'again' without the .dds thingy installed. I saw the problem before installing it -- left that step out of my outline. The multiplier function worked for me once, then never again. After dinner, I'll uninstall the .dds thing and try again, as a double check. Maybe I'll be lucky.

I have windows XP.

... later:
**** mellow, stuffed tummy sigh ****
My kids made a great mother's day dinner, ... well, with wifely help. They even cleaned up before they went home.

Uninstalled the .dds utility. Same error.
Screenshots

Instructor
#9 Old 14th May 2012 at 2:07 AM
You could try this tutorial by Jonesi at Black Pearl Sims: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/showt...-The-Multiplier

You save your multiplier as a .jpg and import it into a graphics program what lets you save as .dds.

Just another option.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th May 2012 at 2:14 AM
Thanks Dee. The main problem is that it won't make the multiplier for me at all.

Instructor
#11 Old 14th May 2012 at 2:32 AM
Blender also needs python26 I believe, if I remember correctly it doesn't work properly without it.
I seem to remember having a similar problem to yours, I think you need to install that before you install Blender, but then again my memory could be wrong.

Just trying to think what else it could be.

Alchemist
#12 Old 14th May 2012 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
Blender also needs python26 I believe, if I remember correctly it doesn't work properly without it.
I seem to remember having a similar problem to yours, I think you need to install that before you install Blender, but then again my memory could be wrong.

Just trying to think what else it could be.
Blender doesn't need anything but the download for Blender from the Blender site. You don't need to install anything besides that download for it to work. This issue is something else.
Instructor
#13 Old 14th May 2012 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Blender doesn't need anything but the download for Blender from the Blender site. You don't need to install anything besides that download for it to work. This issue is something else.

When I first opened Blender I got a message "No python library found". I think it said library, not sure on that and I also can't remember what python is for exactly.

But after I installed it Blender worked like it should.
This has been a few years back.

Just saying what I had to do to make it work.

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#14 Old 14th May 2012 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
When I first opened Blender I got a message "No python library found". I think it said library, not sure on that and I also can't remember what python is for exactly.

But after I installed it Blender worked like it should.
This has been a few years back.

Just saying what I had to do to make it work.

Blender has changed a lot since a few years back. This is not a problem with Python, or it would not have worked to begin with.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th May 2012 at 8:20 PM
OM sent me a blender folder with the .exe and associated parts. It also errors in the same way, which implies to me that there must be some sort of driver or add on that I am missing on my computer. Note -- I am very good at talking the technical stuff, I am not very good at the walk. Where would I start to find that kind of answer?

Attached a screen shot of error, in case there is something subtle that I missed that is a clue.

Real life will keep me busy and away from my computer for the next several days, so please don't consider any silences on my part as non-interest. I appreciate all of the help and guidance.

OM -- requested .blend is attached.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  BTB-OM-Table-BlenderTrial1.rar (51.3 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content

Alchemist
#16 Old 14th May 2012 at 10:13 PM
OM sent me a blender folder with the .exe and associated parts. It also errors in the same way, which implies to me that there must be some sort of driver or add on that I am missing on my computer. Note -- I am very good at talking the technical stuff, I am not very good at the walk. Where would I start to find that kind of answer?

Attached a screen shot of error, in case there is something subtle that I missed that is a clue.

Real life will keep me busy and away from my computer for the next several days, so please don't consider any silences on my part as non-interest. I appreciate all of the help and guidance.

OM -- requested .blend is attached.
I don't think it's something missing on your computer. I just attempted to bake the table in the .blend you sent me and I got the same error that you're getting. Also if that were the case I don't think it would have worked for you the first time you tried it. Tbh I don't know what the problem is but I'm still looking at it.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#17 Old 14th May 2012 at 11:10 PM
It looks like after your first success, you somehow saved it as your default(startup) .blend. Doing this saved the AO image that you made the first time into your default .blend. Doesn't make sense? Don't worry about it. It just means my script is looking for a new image to bake to, and is finding reference to one that doesn't exist.

To fix this, open OM's box.blend. Delete the box, then go to File->Save User Settings. You should be able to bake after that.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th May 2012 at 12:13 AM
Y'all are the best.

... just one more small problem. OM - when you say the box.blend in the tutorial, do you mean here -- the .rar file at the end of the first part of the tutorial at Simlogical? I just downloaded it, and there wasn't a .blend file in it.

Alchemist
#19 Old 15th May 2012 at 12:43 AM
No...I mean the .rar that's in the Tools Needed and Set Up Instructions in the Blender Installation part. The download is in step 11b. Download that and open Blender. Open that .blend in Blender and delete the box. Then click File and Save User Settings. You'll want to make sure the tools.py and slot .py are also added and enabled before you save your preferences.

http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...php?topic=863.0
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 15th May 2012 at 1:02 AM
WooHoo!!! It works.

Thank you OM and CMo for being so patient with me and so helpful.

Test Subject
#21 Old 21st May 2012 at 11:31 PM
Default Heres a new one
Well I got an error, I don;t know what to do. I'll attach an image.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#22 Old 22nd May 2012 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Merlocker
Well I got an error, I don;t know what to do. I'll attach an image.
You're running Blender 2.63 and the tools are not yet updated since that version was so recently released. You need to get the 2.62 version for now to use the tools.
Test Subject
#23 Old 22nd May 2012 at 10:32 PM
thank you