Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#10926 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 1:23 AM
Upper management does not really know about the game't features and ons, so which is exactly my point what stopped developer for carefully evaluting what features to add where saceifise have to be made. CL could have made apartments with stairs if they couldn't animate the elevators or made a better gameplay object to make up for the absent transporting object over a talking object. But anyway, should have could have would have - the game is still crappy and we can look forward same happening to TS5 Cheers!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#10927 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 4:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I have no idea what large corporations you all have worked for, but upper management in Sims probably knows very little about the game and does not play it. But odds are middle management controls very, very, very much and does not leave much to the discretion of the people actually who have to fulfill those requirements. And in some corporations middle management wants little to no input from people under them. The company culture is do what you are told to do and we do not want to hear any dissent.

And the company will claim to want quality, but really just wants production. So when things are shoddy does not really care. So for Sims management does not say do things poorly or we want bugs, but we want deadlines to be met, and so they look the other way about the problems. Which is wrong, of course. The company cares about the bottom line, period. As long as what they are doing is profitable, they continue as is.

I know. I have worked for places like that.

I agree upper management in most corporations have very, very, very little involvement in what goes on on the "ground floor". Indeed, middle management is -- however, they answer to upper management. So, if something goes wrong and upper management gets wind of it, they ask, "What happened? Get it fixed now!" (Because, of course, they're only concerned about the bottom line.) And middle management says "Right, boss - I'm on it." And so they go to the floor and ask the same question "what happened? Get it fixed."

Now here's where I lose the logic in this concerning EA and Maxis. If middle management controls everything, why in the hell is so many things about the game so screwed up - since they must answer to upper management about it. I'm thinking about the Journey to Batuu debacle. I'm sure upper management asked lower management what happened. What answer do you think lower management gave them? "Oh, It was our fault, boss. We told them how to do it. Sorry 'bout that."

Now I would think that after something like that - for any corporation - lower management would try to get more up on their "P"s and "Q"s about what they say to the floor. I know, I know - if that was true, every corporation in the world would be running like a well oiled machine and investors everywhere would be rolling in the dough.

The corporation I worked for allowed suggestions from the floor. If something wasn't right, we told middle management, and tried to work with them to get it right. No, we didn't always succeed, but at least we wanted to. Just like our jobs (the floor) was on the line, we knew middle management's jobs were also on the line in many instances.

Do you think the "floor" at Maxis tells middle management what some of the problems with Sims 4 are? Do you honestly think middle management says "Get it fixed?"

Now . . . If they do, that busts the logic that The Sims 4 is still as buggy and messed up as it is. If middle management has been saying get it fixed, then why after all these years many things are still the same? If they've been saying in essence, I don't care what's wrong with the game, screw that and continue building it the way we told you to build it - then who the hell are they answering to in upper management? Satan?

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Theorist
#10928 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 10:23 AM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 7th Jul 2021 at 9:19 AM. Reason: filling in missing words
Quote: Originally posted by dikosay

Now I would think that after something like that - for any corporation - lower management would try to get more up on their "P"s and "Q"s about what they say to the floor. I know, I know - if that was true, every corporation in the world would be running like a well oiled machine and investors everywhere would be rolling in the dough.

Now . . . If they do, that busts the logic that The Sims 4 is still as buggy and messed up as it is. If middle management has been saying get it fixed, then why after all these years many things are still the same? If they've been saying in essence, I don't care what's wrong with the game, screw that and continue building it the way we told you to build it - then who the hell are they answering to in upper management? Satan?

Investors are rolling in dough, lots of it. EA did not make 6 billion last year from selling sims packs. Most of that came from stock. I'm not talking about EA employees putting money in their retirement accounts, I mean the big investment firms that sit on billions of dollars. Investors are not employees or in 'management', but as the following article points out, they are the ones that call all of shots when it comes to money at the end of the day. While I'm sure there are some people in the world of Wall Street that play video games in their spare time, their world is much different than the person that contemplates Maxis' color choices and or notices bugs in TS4.

Are Wall Street minions, Satan? I'll leave that question for each person to answer for themselves.

The following article is a boring read, I've picked out the relevant bits. The full article will be linked at the end.

Quote:
When the money flows like water

EA's billion-dollar acquisitions are just the latest indication of an abnormal amount of enthusiasm for investment in gaming

The business of gaming was plenty healthy before the pandemic, and the last year has only made it more so. You can see it in the publicly traded companies' quarterly earnings reports, the rash of acquisitions with conspicuously frothy valuations, and the fact that those elevated price tags have done little to slow down the pace of pick-ups.

For owners who don't want to give up so much control of their company, there's no shortage of success stories of companies who went public in the past year, including Roblox ($38 billion valuation), Unity ($13.7 billion), TinyBuild (£340 million), AppLovin ($30 billion), Huuuge Games ($1.1 billion) and Playtika ($11 billion). And while it's not a done deal yet, Krafton's IPO plans put the company value at $27 billion.

STAT | $1.4 billion - The amount of money EA is paying to acquire Playdemic in an all-cash deal announced on Wednesday.

STAT | 3 - The number of billion-dollar acquisitions EA has made since December, when it reached a deal to acquire Codemasters for $1.2 billion. Sandwiched between the Codemasters and Playdemic acquisitions was a $2.1 billion deal for Glu Mobile in February.

STAT | 0 - The number of billion-dollar acquisitions EA had made previously. (It attempted to buy Take-Two for $2 billion in 2008 but failed in its pursuit, which creates a wonderful alternate history debate about whether an EA-led Take-Two would have done as well as the company did on its own.)

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...eek-in-business

Wall Street is running EA, not the people that work there.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10929 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 3:31 PM
I forgot the picnic basket was also in TS1. It defaulted to Sims sitting around it and eating.

I guess sitting and eating would require too many new animations.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#10930 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 1:54 AM
Do you think the "floor" at Maxis tells middle management what some of the problems with Sims 4 are? Do you honestly think middle management says "Get it fixed?"

I do not work at EA but my guess is the floor may tell of some problems or may not bother as knows goes nowhere. And middle management probably does not say spend time/resources to fix things unless something is so severe is a must do, as want the next things in the pipeline to be done. And I think upper management looks just at the numbers. If the numbers are good they want things to continue as is. The floor may or may not care at this point depending on morale. The middle management may care but knows the bosses above them just look at results and results keep them in their positions. So that is their priority.
Mad Poster
#10931 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 12:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I guess sitting and eating would require too many new animations.

This is one of the many reasons I don't like four. Sitting on a ground isn't a feature in the game Feels like animating a pinky would be too much for their resources and dedication.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10932 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 10:37 AM
I'm sure management doesn't play the game - at least not on a regular basis.

Nor do the Simgurus.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#10933 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 1:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Nor do the Simgurus.

Yup, you only have to watch any of the live streams and they will show they barely know the game.
Speaking of which, live stream tonight and embargo is lifted today for GC.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10934 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 7:28 PM
I'm watching the live stream, and I'm struggling to enjoy this. So much effort was spent befriending woodland creatures we can't have as pets.

Also, why are there quests (errands) in this?

Edit: Oh my goodness, foxes can kill rabbits. I'm surprised they got that approved!

Test Subject
#10935 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 7:38 PM
Lactose Intolerance as a trait? Really? That makes even less sense than Vegetarian being a trait.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10936 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 7:44 PM
I hate that they're a town full of a "shops" and they STILL choose to use the market stalls. Have them walk inside of something.

Quote: Originally posted by QueenMercy
Lactose Intolerance as a trait? Really? That makes even less sense than Vegetarian being a trait.

They need to do to Sims traits what they did to lot traits: Traits for personalities, and traits for gameplay or special modifiers (like food preferences).

Instructor
#10937 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QueenMercy

Imagine for a moment you try and make your Simself and your lactose intolerance counts as 33% of your personality.
Lab Assistant
#10938 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 8:42 PM

Taiwan Soul!
Inventor
#10939 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 8:47 PM
I watched Carl's video and it left a bad taste in my mouth. There's a lot of emphasis on quests, tasks and progression system. Sometimes they're okay, but they seemed to be the meat of the pack. Once again, the aspiration is a step by step tutorial with GRINDY objectives. I think there's only ONE new skill. And... that's it. There wasn't much apart from the animals. Like, the animals are nice and all, but is there something to do apart from those tasks and trying out the lot challenges? It just feels like a game pack in terms of gameplay. I was already bored after watching him clean the cow shed for the third night in a row.

PS: Why is Agnes Crumplebottom a shopkeeper? She's RICH, for God's sake. She was also never into gardening. Her skills in The Sims 3 were painting and cooking.
Lab Assistant
#10940 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 8:51 PM
The calendar system is becoming free for everyone.
https://simscommunity.info/2021/07/...h-improvements/

Taiwan Soul!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10941 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 8:56 PM
Build Buy is overwhelmingly bare. There's a lot of windows, though. A shockingly high amount of windows. A little more clutter than usual. I originally thought Snowy Escape had very few items, but this is VERY low. Very usable, but quite lot. There isn't even a single bed to match the double.

Typically, Build Buy will fill up an entire lot, but not this time.

Inventor
#10942 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Typically, Build Buy will fill up an entire lot, but not this time.

Do you have a video where they showcase Build Buy? I've only seen CAS and gameplay in my feed.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10943 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 9:21 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 8th Jul 2021 at 9:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Do you have a video where they showcase Build Buy? I've only seen CAS and gameplay in my feed.

Screenshots

Inventor
#10944 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 9:37 PM
Daaaaaaamn, this is so sad for an EP. There's barely ANYTHING in it!

WHERE ARE THE GAMEPLAY OBJECTS THOUGH? Like, other than the new garden patches and the animal sheds, there's NO OTHER INTERACTIBLE OBJECTS. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? I'm SHOOK!
Mad Poster
#10945 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 10:11 PM
I may get this when half off, but sure as heck am not gonna pay full price for it.
Field Researcher
#10946 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Daaaaaaamn, this is so sad for an EP. There's barely ANYTHING in it!

WHERE ARE THE GAMEPLAY OBJECTS THOUGH? Like, other than the new garden patches and the animal sheds, there's NO OTHER INTERACTIBLE OBJECTS. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? I'm SHOOK!

What the heck?
I half listened/watched the stream whilst playing Sims 3.
What struck me was so much has been recycled. Like befriending birds? You can interact with bird in the bird feeder that came with backyard stuff. Birds can poop on you from Island living. It’s lame but it’s there.

I’m surprised they added foxes killing rabbits. I am calling it now it will get nerfed.
No real shops again? Colour me shocked.
More festivals that you go to once and never go to again. If you have all the packs theres a silly amount of festivals that do very little.

The animals are cute.
Inventor
#10947 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 12:12 AM
For the sake of comparison, I put down most BB objects included in TS3 Pets on a 64x64 lot. I did NOT include walls and floors (there's a ton of them due to the new barn designs), terrain paint, patterns, world objects, community lot only objects and rabbit holes. The picture also doesn't show all the horse jumping obstacles, as they occupy a lot of space.

It's an EP light in objects compared to others because most of the budget went to the pets (which as we all know are better and more numerous than in Sims 4). STILL it has more objects than Cottage Living. It has a full kitchen and bathroom set, three beds, two desks, two bookcases, a variety of seating arrangements, a ton of wall decor, three fireplaces, etc. It literally has at least ONE of each of everything except for a TV, stereo and computer. It includes 4 doors, 1 arch, 1 garage door, 4 two-storey barn doors/arches and 7 windows. There's also a bunch of trees not shown in the pic because they're waaaaay too big and would've made everything look tiny at this resolution.

Sims 3 EPs make Sims 4 EPs look extremely sad in both quantity and quality...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10948 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 12:14 AM
The "pets" don't even function as pets. While I'm sure the budget was spent on animation, I don't think resources were allocated properly as that doesn't even feet complete.

Quote: Originally posted by Goldbear
What the heck?
I half listened/watched the stream whilst playing Sims 3.
What struck me was so much has been recycled. Like befriending birds? You can interact with bird in the bird feeder that came with backyard stuff. Birds can poop on you from Island living. It’s lame but it’s there.

I’m surprised they added foxes killing rabbits. I am calling it now it will get nerfed.
No real shops again? Colour me shocked.
More festivals that you go to once and never go to again. If you have all the packs theres a silly amount of festivals that do very little.

The animals are cute.

Well, there is one "shop." Sims can change their clothes at one. They don't even pay to use the interaction.

Test Subject
#10949 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 1:52 AM
What happened here? These are socks.

https://youtu.be/we8oGqFzHrg?t=870
Screenshots
Scholar
#10950 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 2:30 AM
That's all of the content in the pack?

Not that I'm surprised.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Locked thread
Page 438 of 447