Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 10:23 PM
Default WCIF Maxis Match default hair replacements?
Does anyone know of any true Maxis Match default hair replacements? I've seen ones that use Ifcasims hairs but they're too shiny and too high poly for me. I also tried making my own using a tutorial from MTS that suggested cloning the original hair and copying its CASP instance on the custom one I wanted to default but that didn't work, as well as one from Carversims using Milkshape but the required GEOMs didn't show up (maybe because I was using the free version?)

At this point I'm just really hoping someone else has already managed to make some.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 11:38 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 12:05 AM
I dunno if you have looked into these ones, they're only texture replacements though..
https://chazybazzy.tumblr.com/tagge...t%20Replacement

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aisquared
I dunno if you have looked into these ones, they're only texture replacements though..
https://chazybazzy.tumblr.com/tagge...t%20Replacement

I have but I don't use texture replacements because I actually like the original Maxis textures and Chazy's are a little too matte(?) for me, which is fine for CC but not something I want for all the hairs. I just wanted to replace some of the meshes I really dislike and never use like the BG mohawk hairs for instance, with something like a store hair or icad/puddinghair's retextures of CC hairs.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Jan 2022 at 7:45 PM Last edited by murfee : 18th Jan 2022 at 8:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sobradisa
I also tried making my own using a tutorial from MTS that suggested cloning the original hair and copying its CASP instance on the custom one I wanted to default but that didn't work, as well as one from Carversims using Milkshape but the required GEOMs didn't show up (maybe because I was using the free version?

I don't know anything about default replacement hairs at all, but as for the geoms not showing up, the free version of Milkshape definitely loads geoms--I use the free version, too, so that's weird. And you're using WesHowe's geom importer? https://modthesims.info/t/357403

Main reason they won't import in Milkshape is cuz they're too high poly. Anything over 30k will crash Milkshape, or won't load at all, so you should import it in Blender, and use the Decimate Modifier to reduce the polys, then import it back into Milkshape if you want.

I'm assuming you're using S3PE to extract the .simgeom meshes? You can check the lods in S3PE's model previewer to make sure it's gonna give you the right mesh--I've noticed with some TS4 (and some TS2) conversions that there will be 2 mesh groups: one lod will be the hair, but the other will be a tiny little...cube? Like, it's a speck of a mesh, usually named default. I have no idea why it exists.

TSRW will also give you .wso meshes for Milkshape that already have bone/joint assignments, which is a great shortcut to re-assigning everything yourself. And it's more tolerable of high poly meshes--I've been able to import 40k+ in there, though it chuuuuuugs.
Alchemist
#6 Old 18th Jan 2022 at 11:31 PM
How about MaryJane's default replacements?
https://maryjanesims3.tumblr.com/ta...t%20replacement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jan 2022 at 9:37 PM Last edited by Sobradisa : 19th Jan 2022 at 10:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
I don't know anything about default replacement hairs at all, but as for the geoms not showing up, the free version of Milkshape definitely loads geoms--I use the free version, too, so that's weird. And you're using WesHowe's geom importer? https://modthesims.info/t/357403

Main reason they won't import in Milkshape is cuz they're too high poly. Anything over 30k will crash Milkshape, or won't load at all, so you should import it in Blender, and use the Decimate Modifier to reduce the polys, then import it back into Milkshape if you want.

I'm assuming you're using S3PE to extract the .simgeom meshes? You can check the lods in S3PE's model previewer to make sure it's gonna give you the right mesh--I've noticed with some TS4 (and some TS2) conversions that there will be 2 mesh groups: one lod will be the hair, but the other will be a tiny little...cube? Like, it's a speck of a mesh, usually named default. I have no idea why it exists.

TSRW will also give you .wso meshes for Milkshape that already have bone/joint assignments, which is a great shortcut to re-assigning everything yourself. And it's more tolerable of high poly meshes--I've been able to import 40k+ in there, though it chuuuuuugs.

The mesh was a store hair so definitely not high poly, it was more so the option didn't even show up. Maybe I installed the plugins wrong, I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Figured it out! I was putting the folder in instead of the separate files.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 19th Jan 2022 at 11:10 PM
OneEuroMutt made some OEM'S Default Hair for all the base game hairs and most of the expansion pack hairs.
They used Shock&Shame hair texture. Which is subtle and not too shiny.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Jan 2022 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sobradisa
The mesh was a store hair so definitely not high poly, it was more so the option didn't even show up. Maybe I installed the plugins wrong, I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Figured it out! I was putting the folder in instead of the separate files.

Glad you figured it out!