Replies: 499 (Who?), Viewed: 62051 times.
Page 15 of 20
Instructor
#351 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 8:00 PM
Other countries don't do sarcasm like the British and even then it is possibly just an English thing! It doesn't come over well on social media.
Mad Poster
#352 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 9:06 PM
Yeah. Maxis was and is still better without him. Microtransactions and suprise mechanics make games way better and enjoyable.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#354 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 1:14 AM

Wow, all of their information out there like that... and then with all the shootings here in the US right now, this is crazy... omg.... I really hope they all sue the snot out of them for this reckless leak.
Mad Poster
#355 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 1:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspigglypooh
Wow, all of their information out there like that... and then with all the shootings here in the US right now, this is crazy... omg.... I really hope they all sue the snot out of them for this reckless leak.

There is that, then there is the fact that the likes of Android Wilson and his ilk in the gaming industry are all on the ESA board. That doesn't stink to high heaven... not at all.

What amount of sleaze is too much for these people?
Instructor
#356 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 1:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
There is that, then there is the fact that the likes of Android Wilson and his ilk in the gaming industry are all on the ESA board. That doesn't stink to high heaven... not at all.

What amount of sleaze is too much for these people?

I agree 100%

ETA: *Pressed that save changes too soon lol*
I'm hoping this is the stick that breaks the camels back. They need to be dealt with because if they end up getting away with this... they can get away with anything sadly.
Mad Poster
#357 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspigglypooh
I agree 100%

ETA: *Pressed that save changes too soon lol*
I'm hoping this is the stick that breaks the camels back. They need to be dealt with because if they end up getting away with this... they can get away with anything sadly.

It won't though. There are Yibs that were at E3 announcing their undying love for EA even though Android Wilson knew that Game Changers were going to be doxxed back in Feb. I'm not sure what it will take to happen before these people understand that their trips and free swag should not be a price they should have to pay for their personal security. All of this being done under the false illusion of EA has their backs and anybody that works in EA's mothership must be a friend. Yikes!

Who needs to buy video games? Just sit back and watch the house of cards that is the gaming industry do their thing. The gaming industry is just as much of a swamp as Washington D.C. The ESA is supposed to be one of the 'fire lines' between the industry and consumers. Now we know that isn't true as all of them are in bed together, just like D.C.
Mad Poster
#358 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 1:45 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 10th Aug 2019 at 4:19 PM. Reason: typo
Consumer Advocates Crush ESA's Awful Defense Of Loot Boxes During FTC Hearing

This video is 25 minutes long; it's worth the listen. While the video itself is about surprise mechanics and mircotransactions, much of what is said can also be applied to games that sell DLC. AKA: Putting broken things in packs so a game company can charge for fixes in later DLC.
Mad Poster
#359 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 4:03 PM
charge* you mean? Yeah, that's a huge no practice for me.

Mad Poster
#361 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 12:21 PM
Quote:
YongYea@YongYea Apex Legends players revolt against EA after the company paywalled a rare item behind $170 worth of loot box and coin purchases. Welp, thus begins EA's corruption of Apex Legends.

https://twitter.com/YongYea/status/1162095021505388545

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_...channel=YongYea

Well, that was short-lived. I thought Apex was one of their games that they were going to leave alone; guess not.

Quote:
7. In-Game Currency and Shops

Can players spend money in Apex Legends to receive a gameplay advantage?

No. In Apex Legends, we don’t sell any items that offer a gameplay advantage. When you enter the Ring, no player will have an advantage based on how much they have spent. Apex is supported primarily by cosmetics and new characters (which can also be earned).

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex...asked-questions

I can't say if the item being hidden behind a paywall equals Play to Win, but $170 for a single surprise mechanic is rich for a game that is supposed to be 'Free to play'.
Instructor
#362 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 3:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
https://twitter.com/YongYea/status/1162095021505388545

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_...channel=YongYea

Well, that was short-lived. I thought Apex was one of their games that they were going to leave alone; guess not.

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex...asked-questions

I can't say if the item being hidden behind a paywall equals Play to Win, but $170 for a single surprise mechanic is rich for a game that is supposed to be 'Free to play'.

Looks purely cosmetic, but there's two catches here:

1) The loot boxes cost $7 each. This is abnormal for most games, as most competition with cosmetic items to collect via lootboxes that have no impact on gameplay would charge 2-5$ per lootbox/key/what-have-you, so EA has already raised the pricetag.

2) Theoretically, you could open one box and get super lucky. I've actually done this for shits and giggles in TF2, got super lucky and actually made $85 just for opening a box because I got the rarest drop in a box at a time it was highly in demand. EA has designed the system in such a way that the rarest item will not possibly drop to you by chance upon your first open, but rather it costs $170 worth of lootboxes and there's no way around this. It requires you open X amount of loot crates to be achieved. The only people that would consider this a net positive that they're guarenteed a bonus item at the $170 are the whales who already plan on spending ridiculous sums of money. For the average customer, this sucks since the rarest drops are legit an impossibility for the 1-2 crates they're willing to try.

Strangely, I'm not even sure the whales would enjoy it longterm since it lacks uniqueness. The absolutely rare drops in games like CS:GO or TF2 sell for thousands of dollars simply because the luck happened to turn out in such a way that not many people got a specific skin + effect combo. They set up the system so there's all sorts of custom factors one could get and the whales love that they can say "I have the only glowing tiger stripe rocket launcher with confetti fire effects in the game" and thus they decide it's worth is thousands of dollars and love trading for other thousand dollar cosmetics. With this, they seem more limited because there IS a set price anyone can pay to get their exact cosmetic: $170.

To give you an example, I remember someone calculated out that to get this item in the rarest possible condition, you would statistically (aka average luck) have to spend $18,000 to $22,000. This item in the rarest condition does not exist to this day precisely because of the pricetag, but believe it or not, it would not be surprising if someone decided to go for it. The whales love feeling unique and something with ridiculous odds and price feeds that. Those types of items tend not to bother the average joe that still pays $2.50 to be content with a standard hat, but they DO create a scenario for the developer to rake in profit on those rare people that are crazy enough to buy the ultra rare shit. How EA - for all their greed - missed this type of model, is beyond me. It's like they're purposefully trying to sell the high-end stuff to the average customer instead of just....yknow, appealing to the whales that wouldn't actually mind being offered the high-end stuff. I mean if you don't want a bad rep...? There comes a time where a whale is so ridiculous and the blame shifts from the developer for offering the $18,000 item and instead people blame the fool who was actually willing to pay for it. EA managed NOT to exploit this....somehow.

In short, the idea both manages to price gouge the average joe for more than he would be expected to pay for most cosmetic items in other games....and still manages to likely disappoint the whales, who will say the reward isn't unique enough. A nice mix of greed and incompetence from EA, as always.

If I had to guess though, perhaps their legal team decided this model was the most safe since they can now argue no item within the crate has a value above $170, therefore, it can't be classified as gambling. Let's hope so, because it means the legislature (or threat thereof) is already scaring EA hard enough that their tactics are less effective.
Mad Poster
#363 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 2:27 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 18th Aug 2019 at 2:38 PM.
EA/Respawn Admonished By Apex Legends Community After Awful Response To Iron Crown Controversy

Oh look, EA claims to have made yet another mistake. Funny how they never actually learn anything from their 'mistakes'. I digress.
Mad Poster
#364 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 7:43 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 3rd Sep 2019 at 8:22 PM.
EA Makes FIFA Boss Head Of Battlefield, Battlefront, & Need For Speed. God Help Us.

Moar surprise mechanics and macrotransactions coming to a game near you.
Mad Poster
#365 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 12:27 AM
More revenue 'fluffing' going on. This will be important to keep in mind when EA reports in October.

Quote:

Electronic Arts Inc (EA) CEO Andrew Wilson Sold $845,190 of Shares

CEO of Electronic Arts Inc (30-Year Financial, Insider Trades) Andrew Wilson (insider trades) sold 9,000 shares of EA on 09/03/2019 at an average price of $93.91 a share. The total sale was $845,190.

Electronic Arts Inc operates in the technology sector. It develops, markets, publishes and distributes video game software and content of various platforms. Electronic Arts Inc has a market cap of $28.87 billion; its shares were traded at around $97.95 with a P/E ratio of 13.74 and P/S ratio of 5.92. Electronic Arts Inc had annual average EBITDA growth of 30.90% over the past five years.

https://www.gurufocus.com/news/9409...d=mw_quote_news
Mad Poster
#366 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 4:36 PM

EA Embarrassingly Featured In Guinness World Records For Most Downvoted Comment On Reddit

EA thought getting the Poo Award for 2 years was bad. Well done, EA. Nothing sez pride and accomplishment like having your bullshit memorialized forever. Generations of gamers to come can read and talk about your bullshit.
Field Researcher
#367 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 5:39 PM
Has anyone seen James Turner/TheSimSupply's 2 latest videos on YouTube? Both criticising the Sims 4 and EA/Maxis.

This one uploaded yesterday has a bit of a clickbaity title because he spends a lot of it going on about island counters, but also talks about content being left out and low quality content (e.g. the ballpit), some other glitches/bugs in the game and a general lack of testing before release.

And then he uploaded this one today where he rewatches and reacts to an allegedly unreleased video of his first impressions of Island Living, where he was critical of the pack and he elaborates on a lot of his criticisms in the video - talking about the EP's lack of actual gameplay and how many features its missing compared to Island Paradise.

I wonder if something happened between him and EA? Or maybe his TS2 series has made him release how lacking TS4 is. Perhaps his next video will be "I got kicked off the YibSim programme"

why did i pick this username
Mad Poster
#368 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 6:19 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 8th Sep 2019 at 6:58 PM.
Boo, snowflake redditers, boo. They need to get a job or something, oppose to staying and gaming in their parents basement. Get a life instead of, uh, downvoting a post in reddit. Broke gets u nowhere.

Instructor
#369 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 7:25 PM
It's about time EA/Maxis stopped the game-changer program. there doesn't seem any profit in it for Sims 4 unless their game-changers are useful. Mostly those are out to make their names known on YouTube etc., There is less invitation to join as far as I can see after Kate left anyway. I thought that this person was in charge since 2017?
https://twitter.com/justbiglee
Mad Poster
#370 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 7:30 PM
She left? I may have forgot about that.

Instructor
#371 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 7:39 PM
Not sure who is who in the Community Managers firmament at EA/Maxis

https://twitter.com/SimGuruFrost took over from SimGuruKate "Global Community Manager for
@TheSims"
but
https://twitter.com/justbiglee
The cool dad of the community team
@EA
. Looking after the Game Changer Network and loads of other stuff.
Mad Poster
#372 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 7:42 PM
Oh, her post was about that, just leaving on her accords. Yeah, not false memory.

Mad Poster
#373 Old 13th Sep 2019 at 4:38 PM
More revenue fluffing; we're getting closer to the end of September.

Quote:
COO & CFO of Electronic Arts Inc (30-Year Financial, Insider Trades) Blake J Jorgensen (insider trades) sold 5,200 shares of EA on 09/10/2019 at an average price of $99.52 a share. The total sale was $517,504.

https://www.gurufocus.com/news/9448...d=mw_quote_news

This selling of stock-thing that is going on flies in the face of those that keep saying EA doesn't have any money for TS4 or any other of their games for that matter. There is money for games; EA doesn't give a fluff about games. All they care about is pleasing their stock holders AKA overlords.
Mad Poster
#374 Old 15th Sep 2019 at 6:17 PM
Test Subject
#375 Old 18th Sep 2019 at 9:50 AM
EA is bad because they charge too much
Page 15 of 20