1 people viewing
Replies: 387 (Who?), Viewed: 14126 times.
Page 6 of 16
Mad Poster
#126 Old 21st Aug 2021 at 10:01 AM
"I don't mind if Maxis incorperated mods into official features".

I just love how a single consumer just says they don't mind and actually opt for a game studio to take an example or even fully replicate a mod, which suggests that the compotence in creativity area, concept design as a skill, and the decision made of Maxis crew is valued/viewed poorly. And don't - are you gonna tell me Cottage Living is better than Farmland pack?


And this isn't the first time I see such proposal from a simmer. When a fandom suggests it's a good idea for a Game Studio to implement player-made mods as official game features, that really tells how a video game does a poor job making it so players don't feel the need to download and install modified content/hacks or whatever. The most popular opinion that's been exchanged often: "I would have stopped playing TS4 if it weren't for mods".

Oops, I left a nasty comment again Somebody's gonna scream what bloody Mary I am, for spilling facts without hesitation

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#127 Old 21st Aug 2021 at 1:28 PM
Maxis breaks their own stuff with every update and patch. The only things that are fixed are surface-y type problems and when there is a bigger problem ( i.e the global Father Winter's beard SNAFU) it takes them weeks to address it. Simulation lag has been a problem for literally years and it is still not fixed. They can cull sims all day long, it still doesn't fix the bottleneck problems, the bloated save problems, ect...

What makes anybody think that they would stay on top of mods if they were 'officially' added to the game or am I completely missing something? Before somebody twists my words around, none of this is a jab at modders. Most people that mod stay on top of the stuff they create until they don't. Maxis gives zero fugs. The history of them breaking a game with patches and updates is long. It has been happening since TS2 and has only gotten worse with time.
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 21st Aug 2021 at 9:37 PM
I have just reported the bug reporting process for TS4 as a concern to EA Help. I believe the organization of it contributes to how slow reported issues are adressed. Have any of you done that? I'm not saying it will lead to anything, EA Help is manned by people presumably hired for the role, not the efficiency; but I think it´s better to try than not. It's a fun little way of spending some of that pent-up energy and anger:

EA Help website, choose the game The Sims 4, then plattform, then type of issue:

https://help.ea.com/en//
Mad Poster
#129 Old 22nd Aug 2021 at 9:17 AM
Hope my 1,000,000,001 report about simulation lag will put it to end

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 22nd Aug 2021 at 11:17 AM
Hehe, well each time I get an answer, and a new advisor, I attach that to the case files, and then I get a new answer, and a new advisor; it multiplies. It probably will lead to nothing, but it feels a lot better than posting negative remarks in forums, and is probably equally as effective and also more fun, for me.
Lab Assistant
#131 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 2:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Maxis breaks their own stuff with every update and patch. The only things that are fixed are surface-y type problems and when there is a bigger problem ( i.e the global Father Winter's beard SNAFU) it takes them weeks to address it. Simulation lag has been a problem for literally years and it is still not fixed. They can cull sims all day long, it still doesn't fix the bottleneck problems, the bloated save problems, ect...

What makes anybody think that they would stay on top of mods if they were 'officially' added to the game or am I completely missing something? Before somebody twists my words around, none of this is a jab at modders. Most people that mod stay on top of the stuff they create until they don't. Maxis gives zero fugs. The history of them breaking a game with patches and updates is long. It has been happening since TS2 and has only gotten worse with time.


I'm sure it's because of their spaghetti coding that they have so much trouble with breaking their own previous work.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. - Bob Dylan
Mad Poster
#132 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 5:08 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 23rd Aug 2021 at 9:27 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andes
Hehe, well each time I get an answer, and a new advisor, I attach that to the case files, and then I get a new answer, and a new advisor; it multiplies. It probably will lead to nothing, but it feels a lot better than posting negative remarks in forums, and is probably equally as effective and also more fun, for me.

Well, for those who still play the game - it's useful when you need for a temporal problem fix. But with packs and updates being released, said problem is ought to pop it's ugly head and ruin it again by resurfacing if you followed their advice how to fix it. I have no problem with players reporting bugs, which of course is what they should do. Just saying the game will still be broken for as long the management team continues sweeping the bugs under the carpet and putting new carpets (DLC) over top another to hide the infestation, when what they really should be doing is directing it's exterminator crew (Devs) to exterminate bugs, not carry and drop more carpets over infestation.

Alias, on the positive side: TS4 what does good at is offering unique variety in items:

I wouldn't watch this video if it weren't for BB objects, that I'd admit - would put me on a mood to boot up the game just to build something with certain objects.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
#133 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 5:27 PM
I most definately and delightfully play the game

But yes, I agree that the testing of DLC before release could and should be better; and I also agree that the bugs take too long a time to be fixed. What I meant was that the way EA has organized the bug reporting process is odd, considering the game is in development and under-tested, bug ridden and very complex with lots of additions, all creating the potential for many bugs to occur, constantly. So the way bugs can be reported by the consumer is only on a 'player help player' site, where the developers/QA/production team/EA moderators etc rarely post, but mainly just other players voice their opinions and give information and structures the site. I believe that for me, as a customer of a game, it should be very easy to report bugs, and the effort should be on the game producer. This is not how it is now. This is what I reported as a concern. Actually reporting single bugs/issues is something else, and not what was intended with my comment.

Another thing I wonder why not more do, evidently considering the very low amount of so called Me Too's on the bug reports on AHQ - is to just go through that list of player made reports clicking Me Too on everyone, no matter having experienced the issue in game? Sweeping bugs under the carpet is very easy to do, when the 'consumer's voice' is about 18 people experiencing the bug, according to EA's system.
Mad Poster
#134 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 2:50 PM
Well, the other problem being that I didn't off, they can't simply fix bugs cause EA is a hungry bitch and need invesment money in return. The only way this would be done if they devoted said fixes in a DLC (sorta like Buzzy Bees Update Focus on minecraft), which would of course players would have to pay to get their game partially repaired and that wouldn't sit well obviously.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#135 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 6:09 PM
EA don't need more money, what they need is a swift foot in their... bottom.

In this context, there's no disrespect ...We got five minutes for us to disconnect
Let's get retarded in here.

Field Researcher
#136 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 7:24 PM
I always like a GAME PATCH that needs 300mb and fixes ONE bug
Test Subject
#137 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 12:42 AM
Somebody on the official forums mentioned that there's tuning related to insects in the patch, which could mean an upgrade for Outdoor Retreat is going to be a thing after all: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...patch-up-now/p5

Maybe they saw this and those unlocked insect spawners.
Scholar
#138 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 1:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
"I don't mind if Maxis incorperated mods into official features".

I just love how a single consumer just says they don't mind and actually opt for a game studio to take an example or even fully replicate a mod, which suggests that the compotence in creativity area, concept design as a skill, and the decision made of Maxis crew is valued/viewed poorly. And don't - are you gonna tell me Cottage Living is better than Farmland pack?


And this isn't the first time I see such proposal from a simmer. When a fandom suggests it's a good idea for a Game Studio to implement player-made mods as official game features, that really tells how a video game does a poor job making it so players don't feel the need to download and install modified content/hacks or whatever. The most popular opinion that's been exchanged often: "I would have stopped playing TS4 if it weren't for mods".

Oops, I left a nasty comment again Somebody's gonna scream what bloody Mary I am, for spilling facts without hesitation


Am I that single customer by any chance? I am not sure because you just use quotation marks instead of making a proper quote.

If so, I was speaking generally and it was never meant as criticism of their quality or creativity as developer.

I play Rimworld a lot. This game is incredibly popular on Steam and many love the developer for what a great experience just the vanilla game is. Still it has one of the most active mod scenes too because that same developer made sure that good mod support is there.
But, I see the same comments on Steam from some players who think the developer is lazy when sometimes he implements certain features that look a lot like certain QoL mods that were made before that update.
There is no winning there ofc. He either ignores those mods and gets flak for not including those QoL features. Or he implements those features from mods that he thinks would contribute to the base game and he gets criticism for being a lazy copycat. I on the other hand think that no matter how good and creative a developer is, they will never think of everything. But at the same time, it is a good thing a developer recognises a good idea created by someone else. This has nothing to do with them being a good or bad developer. It is just about recognising what would work well for their game.

I see no difference between fixing a reported bug or implementing a borrowed QoL/gameplay idea. Ignoring those just because someone else came up with them is the stupid action here.

So yeah, I applaud that. No matter for what game. Even for TS4, of which I am very clearly not a fan.
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 2:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrak_nl
Am I that single customer by any chance? I am not sure because you just use quotation marks instead of making a proper quote.

If so, I was speaking generally and it was never meant as criticism of their quality or creativity as developer.

I play Rimworld a lot. This game is incredibly popular on Steam and many love the developer for what a great experience just the vanilla game is. Still it has one of the most active mod scenes too because that same developer made sure that good mod support is there.
But, I see the same comments on Steam from some players who think the developer is lazy when sometimes he implements certain features that look a lot like certain QoL mods that were made before that update.
There is no winning there ofc. He either ignores those mods and gets flak for not including those QoL features. Or he implements those features from mods that he thinks would contribute to the base game and he gets criticism for being a lazy copycat. I on the other hand think that no matter how good and creative a developer is, they will never think of everything. But at the same time, it is a good thing a developer recognises a good idea created by someone else. This has nothing to do with them being a good or bad developer. It is just about recognising what would work well for their game.

I see no difference between fixing a reported bug or implementing a borrowed QoL/gameplay idea. Ignoring those just because someone else came up with them is the stupid action here.

So yeah, I applaud that. No matter for what game. Even for TS4, of which I am very clearly not a fan.


From what you say, the developer cares about his game (creation) enough to take care of it - despite what people say about his implementing of another mod idea or not. And to me, that's the key. HE CARES. He's out to fix or repair daily to give his fans as much of an ultimate experience playing his game as possible. No, he can't think of everything. No, there's no such thing as creating the perfect game. BUT HE CARES ENOUGH TO TRY.

The sims team seems to simply love to give us stuff.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. - Bob Dylan
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#140 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 4:19 PM
Why do people insist on comparing the behavior of indie developers to AAA developers? Aside from the fact they both make video games, that is the extent of what they have in common. EA is run by Wall Street. Some of their top investors are proverbially sitting on billions of dollars. Indie developers are not run by Wall Street, do not have investors that are sitting on billions of dollars in investments, don't have Android Wilson breathing down their necks and have to bust their asses to stay relevant. If they don't do the work, they lose their shirts.

It is impossible to please people all the time; some people can't be pleased with anything. Anybody with a few brain cells already knows this. EA does not care about the crap they shovel out the door because people will buy it regardless of how foul it stinks. Indie developers do not have the luxury of taking their customer base for granted due the reasons mentioned above.

If there is going to be comparisons, and noise made about fairness, then compare AAA companies to AAA companies and indie studios to indie studios. Rock Star paid a modder for GTA $10,000 to fix their game. When the last time EA has ever made a headline for doing such a thing for TS4 or any game in their portfolio? The correct answer is...never.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...e-loading-times
Scholar
#141 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 5:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
...Rock Star paid a modder for GTA $10,000 to fix their game. When the last time EA has ever made a headline for doing such a thing for TS4 or any game in their portfolio? The correct answer is...never.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...e-loading-times


Twallan would have made a shitload of money just for fixing and improving Story Progression in TS3. Never even mind Error Trap and Overwatch for keeping the game running.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#142 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 10:11 PM


A mistake or nah?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#143 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat


A mistake or nah?


I thought they just used an edited version of the Moschino window?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#144 Old 26th Aug 2021 at 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
I thought they just used an edited version of the Moschino window?


I don't know what they did, but what they advertised and what is in the pack that everybody can tell at the moment at least are not the same thing.
Mad Poster
#145 Old 26th Aug 2021 at 2:37 AM
I was waiting to see if it was a stencil before chewing them out.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#146 Old 27th Aug 2021 at 5:34 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 27th Aug 2021 at 9:10 PM. Reason: more info
According to the rumor mill, the window that is in the preview pic Maxis used will be in a update. I have no idea where this info came from as it doesn't make any sense. Why add a window to a update after a kit that is supposed to be about lofts should have windows in it. I dunno, water is wet, there is no point in asking why as the answer will never make sense. Unless the window was completely broken so Maxis left it out, that's one of two reasons I can think of why they'd do that. I suppose using a asset that was not part of the kit, then being embarrassed for not using it could also be a reason, but that would go against the grain of how EA does things.

I'm grabbing at straws here. We may never know why they did that and if the rumor mill is full of BS, people may never see the window either.

EDIT: False advertising wasn't a reason I thought of; apparently I should have.

Screenshots
Instructor
#147 Old 28th Aug 2021 at 4:13 PM
That window shouldn't be in the general Patch that everybody gets. By rights it should be only in a patch for those who bought the kit, thinking that the window would be included in it.
Mad Poster
#148 Old 28th Aug 2021 at 7:51 PM
It will be patched into the kit.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#149 Old 29th Aug 2021 at 5:41 PM
Their statement more or less admits they knowingly depicted a window that wasn't in the kit just to excite us, and the only way it would do that is if they knew we'd expect we were going to get the window in the pack. This would be totally illegal in the UK. Tell you what - we're still not going to get the part of the image that excited me - a window that is recessed into the wall!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#150 Old 29th Aug 2021 at 7:59 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 30th Aug 2021 at 2:33 AM.
Yeah I'm no expert in law but I'm really curious as to how this doesn't count as false advertising. They used the window to advertise the pack, implying that it would be there. And then it wasn't there. And it probably would have stayed that way if they hadn't been called out for it. I swear these people just get off on creating easily avoidable problems for themselves.

The Receptacle still lives!
Page 6 of 16
Back to top