Replies: 393 (Who?), Viewed: 14270 times.
Page 8 of 16
Alchemist
#176 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 2:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
Isn't that kind of rude to the admins who spend time thinking of ways to draw us in and reward us, and designing the graphics? I mean you may not be interested but must you say it so bluntly and dismissively?

I was not rude or dismissive at all. I simply said it is not my thing.
Smeg Head
#177 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 2:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I have no idea what Anno 1800 is about, but have fun with it.

Ubisoft are letting people play it free over the weekend, if you wanted to give it a try. The Anno franchise is longstanding, many decades, many iterations. The current version is set in the 1800s and the start of the industrial revolution, where past versions have gone from Medieval periods, to futuristic space age. The historic versions are usually the best. It's a city builder, focusing on supply and demand of goods through sea shipping - which is why the historical versions are preferred over the futuristic iterations. Anno 1800 is a testament to the gaming industry, that after twenty years, and a seventh iteration, they can make the best version of the game yet, always with fresh ideas on a beloved, tried and tested formula, and the past versions have been award winning excellence - not to mention great fun, and 1800 outshines them all. (Maxis should take notes.)

Like I say, free weekend coming up if you want to give it a try.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Forum Resident
#178 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 5:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
I was not rude or dismissive at all. I simply said it is not my thing.

I have to agree. Rude to me would've been more like "What's with the stupid MTS people making ridiculous features like that? You guys are the worst."

Yeah, that was a bit over the top lol, but point stands. If you aren't hurting anyone in the process, it's quite fine to not like something.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Alchemist
#179 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 5:21 AM Last edited by daisylee : 2nd Sep 2021 at 10:51 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95
I have to agree. Rude to me would've been more like "What's with the stupid MTS people making ridiculous features like that? You guys are the worst."

Yeah, that was a bit over the top lol, but point stands. If you aren't hurting anyone in the process, it's quite fine to not like something.

I do not dislike. I did not even know we had them. But if had still would not have done things to earn them. I have had way too many other things going on in my life such as caring for elderly parents, the death of my father, my mother in highest care level where she is, etc. Badges at a Sims site are not a priority in my life. If others want to do that, it is totally fine. I just do not do things like that.
Alchemist
#180 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 1:03 PM
I love the MTS badges and for so many years I wanted one (but idk why I didn't try to get one)? and then one day I got one and I look at it like I won an Oscar or an Emmy

what does his name even mean?
Alchemist
#181 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 1:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGarden
I love the MTS badges and for so many years I wanted one (but idk why I didn't try to get one)? and then one day I got one and I look at it like I won an Oscar or an Emmy

We all need some fun and joy nowadays no matter how we get it.
Forum Resident
#182 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 1:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
I do not dislike. I did not even know we had them. But if had still would not have done things to earn them. I have had way too many other things going on in my life such as caring for elderly parents, the death of my father, my mother in highest care level where she is, etc. Badges at a Sims site are not a priority in my life. If others want to do that, it is totally fine. I just do not do things like that.

I was actually agreeing with you, I should've pointed out and used something besides dislike. But what I'm saying is it's fine for something like the badges to not personally interest someone.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#183 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 1:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspear1
Ubisoft are letting people play it free over the weekend, if you wanted to give it a try. The Anno franchise is longstanding, many decades, many iterations. The current version is set in the 1800s and the start of the industrial revolution, where past versions have gone from Medieval periods, to futuristic space age. The historic versions are usually the best. It's a city builder, focusing on supply and demand of goods through sea shipping - which is why the historical versions are preferred over the futuristic iterations. Anno 1800 is a testament to the gaming industry, that after twenty years, and a seventh iteration, they can make the best version of the game yet, always with fresh ideas on a beloved, tried and tested formula, and the past versions have been award winning excellence - not to mention great fun, and 1800 outshines them all. (Maxis should take notes.)

Like I say, free weekend coming up if you want to give it a try.

Thanks for the info.
Alchemist
#184 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 1:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95
I was actually agreeing with you, I should've pointed out and used something besides dislike. But what I'm saying is it's fine for something like the badges to not personally interest someone.

Absolutely! They are here and those who want to do them can, and those who do not, will not. It is a nice option for those who are interested in them.
Scholar
#185 Old 8th Sep 2021 at 1:47 PM
Quote:
Why do people insist on comparing the behavior of indie developers to AAA developers? Aside from the fact they both make video games, that is the extent of what they have in common. EA is run by Wall Street. Some of their top investors are proverbially sitting on billions of dollars. Indie developers are not run by Wall Street, do not have investors that are sitting on billions of dollars in investments, don't have Android Wilson breathing down their necks and have to bust their asses to stay relevant. If they don't do the work, they lose their shirts.

It is impossible to please people all the time; some people can't be pleased with anything. Anybody with a few brain cells already knows this. EA does not care about the crap they shovel out the door because people will buy it regardless of how foul it stinks. Indie developers do not have the luxury of taking their customer base for granted due the reasons mentioned above.

If there is going to be comparisons, and noise made about fairness, then compare AAA companies to AAA companies and indie studios to indie studios. Rock Star paid a modder for GTA $10,000 to fix their game. When the last time EA has ever made a headline for doing such a thing for TS4 or any game in their portfolio? The correct answer is...never.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...e-loading-times

I was just using Rimworld as an example for a developer implementing ideas from the community. I wasn't comparing budgets or company structures. That is also besides my point.

But I notice one interesting thing here. We agree that the company EA only cares about sales and customer satisfaction is just used as positive image for marketing and shareholders. But that is not what the developers at EA are. I doubt they have any say in that.
Why would the developers at EA not care about making TS4 as good as possible?. Regardless of what management allows. Any improvement that slips through and improves TS4 in a way that doesn't sell extra DLC, but is mainly aimed for the existing player base, I see that as a developer's initiative and allowed by management. Because like you said, they don't have to allow it to sell new DLC. For some reason that sells anyway, no matter how bad it is.

Anyway, I doubt that there are many game developers who don't care about their project and act just like salary workers. It is not that kind of profession.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#186 Old 8th Sep 2021 at 2:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrak_nl
Why would the developers at EA not care about making TS4 as good as possible?

And on the other hand why would they? If they can take home their salary month after month having made it just good enough to make the target profit, why would they do more than that when they can spend more time putting fridge bunnies in each other's pods, and playing games they like better than The Sims ( I think the majority of them have genre preferences other than daily grind of life simulators)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#187 Old 8th Sep 2021 at 3:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrak_nl
I was just using Rimworld as an example for a developer implementing ideas from the community. I wasn't comparing budgets or company structures. That is also besides my point.

But I notice one interesting thing here. We agree that the company EA only cares about sales and customer satisfaction is just used as positive image for marketing and shareholders. But that is not what the developers at EA are. I doubt they have any say in that.
Why would the developers at EA not care about making TS4 as good as possible?. Regardless of what management allows. Any improvement that slips through and improves TS4 in a way that doesn't sell extra DLC, but is mainly aimed for the existing player base, I see that as a developer's initiative and allowed by management. Because like you said, they don't have to allow it to sell new DLC. For some reason that sells anyway, no matter how bad it is.

Anyway, I doubt that there are many game developers who don't care about their project and act just like salary workers. It is not that kind of profession.

None of us will ever really know what the attitude towards TS4 is from the developer side of things, but we can theorize based on how devs behave, how the proverbial tides shift in and out with TS4, ect...

I started this thread with a tweet from Grant complaining about games that are task driven. That wasn't a planned thing on my part for future conversations, it was more about Grant having a "Hello, Pot! meet Kettle" moment. This should not have come as a surprise to anybody that has followed Grant and his nonsense over the past 7 years. Nobody should take that as the whole Maxis team thinks the same way, but Grant often serves as window. Grant is the reason TS4 has object babies ( among many other things that annoy the masses), but Grant is no longer lead producer for TS4 and hasn't been for some time, so that begs the question of why there hasn't been a shift on this issue. Is it because they can no longer fix it, won't fix it, a combo of those or perhaps something else entirely.

Then there are the streams that more often than not reveal a few things. The most common thing that is talked about is how devs of TS4 "don't know how to play". They fumble around with buttons, they ask about what they can / cannot do, don't understand why some things work while others do not. Graham is good at playing it cool when sims get stuck or whatever nonsense the game throws at him while he's on stream, but he hasn't run a stream for awhile. Graham has also talked about how he plays TS4 from time to time from home, so I get the feeling when there is a uproar about a bug or some other problem, he's more aware of it than he's allowed to let on. Grant on the other hand can't wait to get away from TS4 when the work day is over. I digress. Nobody should live, breathe and sweat their job 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, but the people making this game should know A) how it works B) understand it's limitations and other issues.

As I've already pointed out, indie devs don't have the option of being dismissive when something goes wrong with their games. They have to work harder, sweat more and lose more sleep when bad bugs happen because their next paycheck depends on it. It's easier for Maxis to coast through these things because EA is backed by billionaires. The gaming industry aside, when people love what they do or have a passion project of some sort, they're always busy trying to make whatever that thing is the best it can be.

With EA it is always what they don't say that is more important than when they are speaking their talking points. They don't do well when they go off script. That alone should tell people something. If they can't make their point without bullet points, there's a problem. Maxis already knows that there are plenty of people that will buy anything they put out, indie devs don't live with that mentality. Maxis lives in the camp of why bother to fix things when people will blow it off and proudly display the attitude of "Oh well, a modder will fix that." From where I'm sitting, there is no incentive for Maxis up their game. Maxis can pass the buck with zero consequences which doesn't cost EA a dime, nor do they lose anything AKA sales because of it, or so it looks on the surface anyway. Nobody knows one way or another because EA doesn't post those numbers. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the entire TS4 modding community went on strike. That will never happen of course, but would Maxis step their game or would it be business as usual?

I'm not going to make a sweeping declaration that nobody on team Maxis cares, but actions do speak louder than words.
#188 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 12:47 PM
Quote:
but Grant is no longer lead producer for TS4 and hasn't been for some time, so that begs the question of why there hasn't been a shift on this issue.

Cos he's probably been moved to lead producer of TS5 and all the other colleagues know they're going to be working under him again when they finally get moved over onto that. Which of them wants to be the one to first to stand up and show they didn't agree with him?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#189 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 2:38 PM
Quote:
Cos he's probably been moved to lead producer of TS5 and all the other colleagues know they're going to be working under him again when they finally get moved over onto that. Which of them wants to be the one to first to stand up and show they didn't agree with him?

EA has announced there is a TS5 in the making? I haven't seen anything, but I haven't been looking either.

Whether there is a TS5 or not, Grant isn't some kind of overlord over EA employees, he is a former lead producer. If EA ever gave a single person that much power, the company is more screwed up than I thought. Lyndsay Pearson spent a lot of time clashing with Grant and kept her job while talking about it, so I don't think Grant that much power. Besides, Grant needs his job after draining his 401k (retirement plan) to buy a house. He's so smart that he decided that owing the government money and being slapped with a 10% fine on top of what was 'borrowed' was a good idea. For anybody in the US, do not do that.

Why are the Worlds So Small? - Q&A with Lyndsay Pearson, General Manager of The Sims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKzjiiox0Fk
#190 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 3:35 PM
Quote:
Lyndsay Pearson spent a lot of time clashing with Grant and kept her job while talking about it

Lindsay has always been senior to Grant. Given that, I'm surprised she was obliged to "clash" with him rather than instruct him. Goes to show what a powerful personality he must be within the studio.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#191 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 4:13 PM
Quote:
Lindsay has always been senior to Grant. Given that, I'm surprised she was obliged to "clash" with him rather than instruct him. Goes to show what a powerful personality he must be within the studio.

Hmmm..

In the interview between James and Lyndsay, there is no mention of anybody being obligated. Lyndsay did not like object babies and wanted to do something about it, Grant said no.

Maybe they do things differently across the pond or in the UK, but usually when people lose their higher rank, this is not a representation of power. What it sez is "This person was being a ass. After X amount of offenses with no change of behavior, we've demoted the person to another position." Then there is the fact that he was kicked off of Twitter for over a year, and last year he decided to 'give up' his work account because he was going to spend less time on social media. LMAO! And the moon is made from cheese...

If makes people happy to think that Grant has some serious pull around the EA mothership, that's fine, but people should at least know what the history is.
Instructor
#192 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 8:55 PM
Is Sims 4 going on to the Unreal engine or is this a cover for a Sims 5?

Remote Work Option:Yes
Requisition Number:168095
Date Opened:2021-08-30

UI Software Engineer (C++ Unreal) - Maxis

At Maxis, we excel at outrageous thinking. It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're trailblazers and great storytellers. But it's not just about amazing your peers – it's about amazing yourself and our fans. Take risks. Work with dazzling minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day. The Sims 4 has an extremely unique player base, with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.

Description:

Reporting to a Development Director as a UX Engineer, you will work on UI and UX within the game. The work will range from rapid prototyping to production development. Most of the work will be done in Unreal Engine, both in C++ and Blueprints. Some prototypes and features may be done with different tools and frameworks.
#193 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 2:46 PM Last edited by Inge Jones : 11th Sep 2021 at 2:57 PM.
Quote:
Hmmm.. In the interview between James and Lyndsay, there is no mention of anybody being obligated. Lyndsay did not like object babies and wanted to do something about it, Grant said no.

Exactly! I even commented on why Grant was able to say no to Lindsay like that when she was senior. She replied something that amounted to wanting to work with her team on these decisions, which is of course laudable, but the way it was put "Grant said no" was rather unsettling. I can just imagine her treading on eggshells around him. He is probably a highly skilled developer/designer, but sometimes a character can be too pervasive and harm the dynamic. I just stopped short of saying toxic for the team.

>At Maxis, we excel at outrageous thinking
Oh dear now what slapstick rubbish are they planning?

Mad Poster
#194 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 7:44 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 22nd Sep 2021 at 3:59 PM.
My goodness, the team just added several hundred swatches to several in game items. 1,200 swatches across 149 assets.

The doors will finally match the windows.

Edit: After 5 year, they finally released this in game.
(I think the link was removed? idk - it was a link to a mod of hidden counter swatches)

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Alchemist
#195 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 9:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54
My goodness, the team just added several hundred swatches to several in game items. 1,200 swatches across 149 assets.

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY! Can go back and do some improvements.
Lab Assistant
#196 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 10:33 PM
Quote:

How fucking wonderful! Call me when simulation lag gets fixed.

Rob Riemensnyder is the biggest coward who ever lived. Stay away from him.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#197 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 1:01 AM
Sims 4 update 9-21-21: Pictures can be seen here: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/t...pdate-9-21-2021

Update 9/21/2021

PC: 1.80.69.1030 / Mac: 1.80.69.1230

Console: Version 1.48

Hello Simmers!

We hope this Game Update finds you well!

As Summer has ended and the Pumpkin Spice season starts (you all know I’m ready for my pumpkin spiced coffee!), our Art Team has a treat for Simmers that love to build. If you are not an expert builder that is quite alright, I’m not either, but I do enjoy trying a few styles and choices so no worries in that regard.

Thanks again for your continued support, we truly appreciate it!

Chaus!

-SimGuruRusskii

What’s New?

149 assets - 1,200 vaaariants

149 assets - 1,200 variants to enjoy so dear

149 assets - 1,200 vaaariants

How do we tell you about these... easily?

In pictures, in writing, in cups of coffee.

In gameplay, in video, in pictures, in laughter.

In 149 items - 1,200 variants - how do you measure this new thing we did with this in hand?

How about you just show? Yes, how about you just show?

Don't measure at all, just show.

Our art team took over this Game Update and they have added about 1,200 new variants (yes, you read me correctly, about 1,200 variants) to 149 Base Game items in Build Mode. The Art Team’s vision was to complement and enhance these assets so Simmers have more choices and have more use out of them. Also, why not?

I will list the names of the assets, with images, that we have added variants to. Huge props to SimGuruBeth for providing these fabulous screenshots! In these screenshots you will notice some arrows and green dots, those represent the new additions.

Ok - enough of me rambling about, are you all ready? <takes deep breath>

Illusion Shades
Flaunting Flounces Panels
Minimalist Drapes
Sooner or Ladder Contemporary Dining Chair
Tabula Rasa Coffee Table
Tabula Rasa End Table
Tabula Rasa Console Table
Grand Hall Dining Table
Grand Designs Dining Table
Simplicity Dining Table
Square Meals Dining Table
Floored by Symmetry Standing Mirror
Carina Dining Hutch
Simple Symmetry Bookcase
Intellectual Illusion Wall-Mounted Bookshelves
Great Wall Mirror
Capped Wall Plank
Dodecagon Contemporary Clock
Honeycomb Bottle Holder
On Phantom Wing Framed Art
Apple of Your Eye Framed Watercolor
Pear Essentials Framed Watercolor

Terminus Reclaimed Pipe Towel Rack
RAW Bookshelf
Reclaimed Plank Shelf
Wainscott Gardens Dining Cabinet
Form & Function Industrial Coffee Table
The Barnish Bed
Boardwalk Trashcan
CONCEPT Coffee Mug Rack
Cluttered Mind Box Set
GrammyFone Old-Fashioned Music Player
In Session Novelty Chalkboard
Three Framed Skeleton Keys
Ordinary Things Shadowbox Display

Cooking-U Pro
Crisponix Ultragreat w/ Deluxe Crisper
The Omniwaver
Café Immodéré
London's Choice
The YumCooker
The Schmapple Oven
The Schmapple Coffee
Garbelle Wastebasket
Popped Color Curtains - Left
Popped Color Curtains - Right
Sunny Shades - Left
Sunny Shades - Right
Junior Wizard Starter Set
Mega Couple Of Books
The Purple Protector Action Figure
The Purple Pursuer Action Figure
The Chessmaster
Chess under the Stars Patio Table
Grand Plans Chess Table
Cabin Slats
Simplicity Shade
Limber Lumber Traditional Hardwoods
Rustic Subfloor Slats
Eco-Craft Hardwood Flooring
ForestFine Wood Flooring
Old World Wide Plank Flooring
Herringbone Hardwood Flooring

VAULT Modular Counter
VAULT Modular Island
VAULT Wall Cabinets
VAULT Pro-Level Bar

BlandCo Contemporary Counter
BlandCo Contemporary Counter Island
BlandCo Contemporary Cabinet

Country Fieldstone
Mega Stacked Stone
Windowbox of Superiority
Neighborly Windowbox
Garden Planter Box
Garden Pot
Bonsai Tree
Oopsa Daisies
Red, Red Shrub
Pink Aster Nots
Purple Perennial Flowers
Shaggi-luscious
Passion’s Kiss
Baby’s Bottom Rose Bush
Red, Red Rose Bush

And all 64 windows present in Base Game!

Whew, that was quite the list! And now to our bug fix of this Update.
Bug Fixes

The Sims 4

Sims living that career lifestyle but their outfits were… not up to par? Were your Sims’ career wardrobe a bit stale as you moved up that career ladder? Not exactly dressing for success, right? No worries, we have fixed that issue and now all career levels should have appropriate outfits. Go you, good luck!
#198 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 10:59 AM
Quote:

Will they? They might not share the same new swatches.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#199 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 2:28 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 22nd Sep 2021 at 2:52 PM.
The big brains of Maxis have decided to toss out a new buzzword (hint: it is not yous)... 'immersive'.

Quote:
“With kits, The Sims is creating an immersive experience where people, places and experiences can be discovered, and our players from around the world can experiment with these distinctly unique mini collections of curated content,”

As a person who hates clothes shopping and lives out of black t-shirts, jeans, sweats and pj bottoms, I'm clearly missing the whole immersive part of these CAS kits. If there were new worlds, tons of new things to do, ect... then perhaps immersive would be a word to use, but for clothing? Really?

And since they are trying to claim that kits in general are immersive, I still don't find sims being inspired while standing a pee puddle or vacuuming their flat lawns 'immersive' content. My brain could toss out a number of adjectives, immersive isn't one of them.

Does anybody find clothing immersive? If so, educate me because I don't get it. It is turning into a week of being befuddled. First it was why EA would blow their marketing budget annoying people, now they're into buzzwords, or trying to be.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/t...hion-street-kit

For those that don't want to read the really, really long article... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVmEYp53fOA
#200 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 3:27 PM Last edited by Inge Jones : 22nd Sep 2021 at 3:45 PM.
I was right - they haven't updated the doors at all. Also, even where the objects do appear to have a matching set of swatches, they don't look the same colour presumably as the material properties connected to the mesh are subtly different

Page 8 of 16