Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#2051 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 7:50 PM
Two spooky weeks had started yesterday. Sooo. Maybe anyone has anything related to Halloween this year?

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2052 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 6:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
Two spooky weeks had started yesterday. Sooo. Maybe anyone has anything related to Halloween this year?

I'm thinking of remaking the Goth mansion - two versions of it, actually. I guess that's Halloween-ish, although I seriously doubt this will get done by Halloween, as I need to rework my upload threads at Garden of Shadows and Sims 2 Artists first.

Is Halloween a thing in Russia?
Theorist
#2053 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Is Halloween a thing in Russia?

Yes and no at once there was never any Halloween in russian traditions. It is foreign to my country. But! Russia has ability to adapt foreign things for own preferences. As well as we has so-called shampaign, so-called bourbon, so-called olivier, we also has so-called Halloween.
Halloween here it is merely a costume party. It is not a tradition. My dorm neighbors were organised Halloween party when I was at college. My relatives organised spooky party at Christmas. But it is not only like that. At the last day of October It is usually take part in downtown in various night clubs, english pubs and american diners. Staff wears funny costumes, interiors are decorated with pumpkins, they even has special dishes related to Halloween. That's all. We don't have trick or treat thing, we don't have yard decoration competitions, and we don't make pumpkin carving.

Just in case. Along I was writing this letter, I asked my relatives "Do we spend Halloween in Russia?" and they asked in return "What is this?" I think this is still kinda new to my country. Some oldies like my granny will not understand this holiday because they've never had it.

Finally I found that I have a question too. Those competitions from sims with catch apples from bathtube with mouth or berry pie eating. Oh dear, we never had it here in parties XD Does that really took part in U.S. Halloween? And what is the symbol of Halloween that is necessary like... well... like a pine tree on Christmas or turkey on Thanksgiving day?
Regards Vic ^_^

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Theorist
#2054 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 4:32 PM
Finally I found that I have a question too. Those competitions from sims with catch apples from bathtube with mouth or berry pie eating.

Hmm, I haven't actually played Sims 2 enough to see that, but in real life it sounds like you're describing "Bobbing for Apples" and/or pie-eating competitions. I don't think either one is particularly unique to Halloween. I would associate both with traveling carnivals and State Fairs in late summer.
In the US in summertime, most states have State Fairs that are typically held at State Fairgrounds or some other similar venue, and typically include carnival-type rides and attractions, but can also include things like livestock shows. And sometimes they do silly things like hot dog-eating or pie-eating competitions.

Quote:
And what is the symbol of Halloween that is necessary like... well... like a pine tree on Christmas or turkey on Thanksgiving day?

That would be the pumpkin, I guess.
Theorist
#2055 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 5:27 PM
Hmm, I haven't actually played Sims 2 enough to see that, but in real life it sounds like you're describing "Bobbing for Apples" and/or pie-eating competitions. I don't think either one is particularly unique to Halloween. I would associate both with traveling carnivals and State Fairs in late summer.
In the US in summertime, most states have State Fairs that are typically held at State Fairgrounds or some other similar venue, and typically include carnival-type rides and attractions, but can also include things like livestock shows. And sometimes they do silly things like hot dog-eating or pie-eating competitions.

"Bobbing for Apples" and pie-eating competitions are from Sims 3. Ha! Allright! I never seen or took part in it. Looks entertaining. ^_^

Yayy! I have three of those symbols already. But they won't survive for Halloween. We will eat it ^_^

Mad Poster
#2056 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 6:56 PM

More specifically - the Jack-O-Lantern (pumpkin with a carved face - with it's origins dating back to the Celts) .

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#2057 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 1:12 PM
There is a similar tradition in russian Orthodox. It takes place from 7th to 19th january. traditions, last article
It is called Svyatki. It is very close to Halloween in some part of rituals. Its name "Svyatki" means "Saints" That, I think, is a great reference to Halloween that is also called "the day of all Saints"
We has a costume parties, festivals, invite friends and keep Cristmas tree dressed. There are a lot of things like circus, clowns, mimes, and trained animals in the festovals. There are songs very close to trick or treat but called "Kolyadki" And there is a rumor that you should not bother paranormal creatures in those days because they walk outdoors at night. Some fearless, like gypsies, can summon deads however and they say there is a high chance to see your future husband in the mirror and bewitch your love. So you can even try it in fortune teller's den Those rituals are not supported by official church. And the goverment make or not make those days off from work.
There we don't have pumpkin carving, Jack-o-lanterns, and there is no special dressing or colors that different from Christmas. Svyatki merely keep all decorations from Christmas. But its symbol is much a Christmas star then Christmas tree.
I tried to expain it as good as I ever can.
Regards Vic ^_^

Mad Poster
#2058 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 3:24 PM
Interesting... I would've thought you'd celebrate Epiphany - on Jan 6th? That's, like, the highest Holy day for the Greek Orthodox.
I am protestant, but we celebrate Epiphany on Jan 6th. Christmas Decos still firmly in place! (It is, after-all 12th Night/the 12th Day of Christmas.) Decos come down the next day.

Halloween is the night before All Saint's Day; it is All Hallows Eve.
All Saints Day is Nov 1st; therefore Halloween is Oct 31st.

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#2059 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 5:34 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 21st Oct 2021 at 6:01 PM. Reason: N. B.
At Jan 6th we celabrate God's Baptism (I am not sure with pronounce). It is first day before we have Sviatki. Jesus' Epiphany... Oh... yeah... it second name but usually it is alled Baptism.
There is one day when you can take cold bath, should take a communion and have sacred water fasting. It is widely spread around all orthodox. Actually I hate this holiday. My mom and granny says this is the only day when all the water, even those you has at home, become sacred. Just by fingersnap. Miraclous, isn't it? But I should go to church to take sacred water anyways. That's so unfair!!

N. B. Holy water, not sacred. Ugh. Sorry for mispell
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Halloween is the night before All Saint's Day; it is All Hallows Eve.
All Saints Day is Nov 1st; therefore Halloween is Oct 31st.

Oh great. Thanksfor let me know. I thought it is just one name for the same holiday

Theorist
#2060 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 10:30 PM
But I should go to church to take sacred water anyways.

Holy Water burns my skin every time I come in contact with it.
Theorist
#2061 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 3:33 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 26th Nov 2021 at 8:52 PM.
My latest is a rebuild of 165 Sim Lane, Pleasantview, which is the Goth Mansion:

In time for Halloween, I guess.
Screenshots
Theorist
#2062 Old 30th Oct 2021 at 10:59 PM
My latest is a rebuild of 165 Sim Lane, Pleasantview, which is the Goth Mansion:

In time for Halloween, I guess.

Good job!
And I found interesting houses by Allan Akbar here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=676067 how do you think it might be finished?

Sad to see there were a lot of requests to continue this house and zero responses. I decided to bookmark this in case I will ever learn how to continue.

Happy Halloween!

or
?

Theorist
#2063 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 12:26 AM
Good job!

Thanks. That's a Russian Chaika limo in the driveway, btw.

Quote:
Sad to see there were a lot of requests to continue this house and zero responses. I decided to bookmark this in case I will ever learn how to continue.

Yeah, those are nice-looking rowhouses.

Quote:
Happy Halloween!

Thank's you too.
Theorist
#2064 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 10:28 AM
Thanks. That's a Russian Chaika limo in the driveway, btw.

I asked my granny about Chaikas and she started to tell me the gibberish as "there was a lot of that". I love her but as pure woman in her 90 she had never know nothing about cars.

Regardless of russian origin Chaika is very rare now in my country. It is almost 30 or 40 years since Chaika plants stop its production. I've seen just one or two chaikas in our roads. Back in a days it was also rare and super expensive. Chaika was mean that owner has money. I can compare it to modern compatriots owns Apple or Tesla. There was a lot of that cars for the export. Such countries like Pakistan, Afganistan and Kazakhstan has much more of that car now then my country. Second hand Chaikas were reselled to african countries, so poor countries still has a lot of remains on their roads as well as details for repair.

Probably the owner of your house is from one of those countries. If he is Russian, then he definitely need to find friends from those countries. Chaika in russia means patriotic sense but no chance for repair (or maybe a little with 10th level of mech)

Theorist
#2065 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 5:06 PM
Regardless of russian origin Chaika is very rare now in my country.

Well, it isn't rare around here, because you can download it.
Theorist
#2066 Old 2nd Nov 2021 at 7:19 PM
Well, it isn't rare around here, because you can download it.

At least somewhere...

Forum Resident
#2067 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 11:14 PM
What do you think ? Think i could turn this modern looking townhouse into an old world Gilded Age look?

https://jackprestonwood.com/product...ant=43461711301
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#2068 Old 7th Nov 2021 at 1:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
What do you think ? Think i could turn this modern looking townhouse into an old world Gilded Age look?

https://jackprestonwood.com/product...ant=43461711301

Houston? I think that can look worthy in Sims 2. In sims 3... Well... Also good when placed in Boroughsburg.

Mad Poster
#2069 Old 7th Nov 2021 at 2:26 PM
Think i could turn this modern looking townhouse into an old world Gilded Age look?

Sure!
I like that! Very nice - if you put 2 of them together (right one, reversed) you could give them a pool/courtyard to share
...I might have to steal that idea for TS2... if I ever get back to building...

and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#2070 Old 7th Nov 2021 at 2:46 PM
I have been trying to challenge my self to do small family houses on 30X30 or 40X40 lots. or narrow town houses on the 25X50 lots!

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#2071 Old 7th Nov 2021 at 2:59 PM
Sure!
I like that! Very nice - if you put 2 of them together (right one, reversed) you could give them a pool/courtyard to share

hmm very interesting idea! might have to do that next!

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#2072 Old 7th Nov 2021 at 11:51 PM
Sure!

Yeah. It' s perfect for TS2.
Good idea with mirrored twin.
Why are you afraid not to get back?

Mad Poster
#2073 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 3:38 AM
Why are you afraid not to get back?

I'll get there... updating/redoing all my old lots kinda skidded me to a full stop - boring, blechy, and totally uninspiring *sigh*
So, I've been enjoying Dragon Age instead

I'll be back to 'building for TS2' soon.

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#2074 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 6:39 AM

Go for it, keep us posted.
I think that curvy staircase will get seriously uglified regardless of which Sims game is used.
But yes, it might make a good rowhouse for TS2. 8 tiles wide is what you've got to work with - 5 for the garage, which leaves 3 for the hallway and stairs. Doable, I guess.
Theorist
#2075 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 10:12 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 8th Nov 2021 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Wrong hashtag
I think that curvy staircase will get seriously uglified regardless of which Sims game is used.

TS1 has curvy stairs.

You need circular either double winder, Tudorman. But actually any curved stairs could be nice. Short masterclass about curved stairs

Two starcases are look good enough for sims 2:
https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=236770
https://youngcardinalsyoungbloods.d...=51318#cmt51318

As for Sims 3, I think Luna' staircases would be nice
https://isevelii.tumblr.com/post/11...ocomestructuras
but I don't know how it works. Guess it is just decorative. You could read thread description or contact creator to ask what they had in mind when create it.

Sims 4 will need Tmexi's T. O. O. L. to copy each step and place in direction you like. That will definitelly come decorative but... well... who cares about that in Sims 4.

Page 83 of 98