Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 10:34 PM
Is it Just Me
I've simmed on and off for a long time now, since the Sims 1 days in fact. Recently I started sims 3. For me each game had a learning curve. The learning curve for sims 3 seems much higher to me though. Like a lot of things have improved or function more smoothly, but it seems almost impossible to let the sims family I'm playing just enjoy themselves and therefore it is hard for me to enjoy them. Its not a particularly large family just two parents and their three children. I feel as though I am always chasing their motives.

Like the open world which I like in a lot of ways for obvious reasons I think, is a bit of a challenge, because I have to split my concentration between whatever is going on at work and at home. But even if sims aren't off the lot and no one has gone to work it seems almost impossible to let the family sit down to dinner together or play a game together. Some is always tired, or hungry or having to pee or whatever. Does the sims 3 have a steeper learning curve? Do others find their motives hard to take care of? Am I misremebering how challenging sims 2 was early on? Or is it just me?

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Advertisement
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 10:58 PM
If you just recently started playing Sims 3, two parents and three children probably is too large of a family to successfully manage. I would recommend putting that family on hold and starting with just two sims until you nail it, then go back to your fuller family.

Sims 3 only had a learning curve for me for about 48 hours. Then it became like 1 and 2, obnoxious as hell without game mods and CC.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 11:17 PM
I wouldn't say it's a steeper learning curve, it's just ... different. I too recently decided to try S3 after having played the previous two and I think I was a little shellshocked at first with the way the needs worked, hunger especially. A single quick meal filled them up right away but they nearly starved to death if they went to be without a full hunger bar? No thank you. I modded that away ASAP. And no matter which bed I used the energy seems to fill the same, they just get a 'bad night's sleep' moodlet or whatever if they slept in a cheaper bed. And social fills up right away just from talking to someone for a few sim minutes on the phone. It took me a while to adjust to the way the needs work (and I really prefer Sims2 needs though that's because I'm used to them) but I don't think S3 needs are more difficult. They're just different. And there are LTRs to adjust at least the hunger, bladder, and hygiene needs, though once I used them I didn't like them because then it felt like those needs never went down. Like a lot of things in this game I think they're too extreme, especially because they're (AFAIK) permanent.

I completely agree with your feelings on the open world and families, however. Because I like to micromanage my sims I had a difficult time at first adjusting to the open world with more than a couple sims in the house. I wanted to be with them all the time and when I was trying to watch whoever was at home, the sims out in the world wandered off and wasted time. I pretty much gave up on micromanagement when I played a firefighter and his family. When I was trying to play him at work, his pregnant wife was at home with two toddlers. Those toddlers didn't learn anything cuz I never got the chance to focus on them!

I don't play families in 3 anymore. It's not that I find them difficult, it's just that they don't have the same connection the sims in 2 did, and with the open world and the way the professions work, oftentimes most of the household is doing their own thing (which is usually not what I want them to do) while I focus on the one sim out in the world.

I enjoy playing 3 for the skills and jobs and exploring the open world. At one point my household had 8 sims, 4 of which were teens or younger. I grew those youngsters up real fast and kicked all but the alien son out and continued testing the skills and careers with just the adults.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by A.G.Doren
...it seems almost impossible to let the family sit down to dinner together or play a game together.

This has nothing to do with you and everything to do with EA devs assuming that every player suffers from ADHD and can't stand for a Sims game to be a sim. Don't bother with cooking. Your sims will do just fine living exclusively on a diet of breakfast cereal that is magically always stocked in the refrigerator. I believe it is some sugar infused kiddie cereal that is certainly the staple diet for the EA devs.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 5:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by darthesp
I wouldn't say it's a steeper learning curve, it's just ... different. I too recently decided to try S3 after having played the previous two and I think I was a little shellshocked at first with the way the needs worked, hunger especially. A single quick meal filled them up right away but they nearly starved to death if they went to be without a full hunger bar? No thank you. I modded that away ASAP. And no matter which bed I used the energy seems to fill the same, they just get a 'bad night's sleep' moodlet or whatever if they slept in a cheaper bed. And social fills up right away just from talking to someone for a few sim minutes on the phone. It took me a while to adjust to the way the needs work (and I really prefer Sims2 needs though that's because I'm used to them) but I don't think S3 needs are more difficult. They're just different. And there are LTRs to adjust at least the hunger, bladder, and hygiene needs, though once I used them I didn't like them because then it felt like those needs never went down. Like a lot of things in this game I think they're too extreme, especially because they're (AFAIK) permanent.

I completely agree with your feelings on the open world and families, however. Because I like to micromanage my sims I had a difficult time at first adjusting to the open world with more than a couple sims in the house. I wanted to be with them all the time and when I was trying to watch whoever was at home, the sims out in the world wandered off and wasted time. I pretty much gave up on micromanagement when I played a firefighter and his family. When I was trying to play him at work, his pregnant wife was at home with two toddlers. Those toddlers didn't learn anything cuz I never got the chance to focus on them!

I don't play families in 3 anymore. It's not that I find them difficult, it's just that they don't have the same connection the sims in 2 did, and with the open world and the way the professions work, oftentimes most of the household is doing their own thing (which is usually not what I want them to do) while I focus on the one sim out in the world.

I enjoy playing 3 for the skills and jobs and exploring the open world. At one point my household had 8 sims, 4 of which were teens or younger. I grew those youngsters up real fast and kicked all but the alien son out and continued testing the skills and careers with just the adults.

my toddlers are learning all their skills, but I think you may be right about Sims 3 requiring a different play style and expectations. Most simmers I know who play larger families with sims 2 usually look forward to adults going to work or taking a sim off the lot as a bit of a break from having to think about the entire family. Obviously with the open world that isn't really an option. Also if I've been playing sims 3 for a while when I switch to sims 2 things definitely seem to be moving slower no matter how large or small the household is.

I also think sims 2 is much more goal oriented in a way that is different from sim 3. Sims 2 is very much a straight line from your sims wants and goals to completing them and the shorter life span encourages a more goal oriented playstyle. Whereas in sims 3 there are so many small goals to pursue trying to manage a busy active family, and enjoy them as a family, while pursuing each family members individual interest is a bit more of a challenge. Like wanting a sim to be a good parent, advance in their career and study recipes all at once maybe a lot to ask. :/ Thanks for sharing your insisghts.

Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 5:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by spladoum
If you just recently started playing Sims 3, two parents and three children probably is too large of a family to successfully manage. I would recommend putting that family on hold and starting with just two sims until you nail it, then go back to your fuller family.

Sims 3 only had a learning curve for me for about 48 hours. Then it became like 1 and 2, obnoxious as hell without game mods and CC.

I think in anyway that the game measures I'm probably playing just fine. Career orientated mom is advancing in her job, as well as getting to pursue her health and fitness goals, maintain her relationship with her husband and children and increase her celebrity status, the eldest daughter is on the honor roll, dad has started his fourth novel and is earning royalties as well as having fun with chemistry set and holding down a part-time job. As all the children have been born and aged I've been able to select their traits and they have good relationships with each other. I think I probably just need to temper my expectations of the game. Playing with a smaller family might be a good way to do that.

hmmm sorry for the double post. I assumed that they would be attached to the reply I was quoting.

Scholar
#7 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 6:01 PM

So very true!
Instructor
#8 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 8:44 PM
I think it might be because there are so many new things to try, with the open neighbourhood and all of that. I always have my iphone next to me so I can google things about TS3 while I'm playing, just because there's so much I haven't gotten around to trying yet, and every time I play there seems to be new things.
Alchemist
#9 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 10:39 PM
Then it became like 1 and 2, obnoxious as hell without game mods and CC.

I'll join the choir in this one. I would refuse to play Sims 3 without Twallan's mods.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 19th Dec 2013 at 3:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I'll join the choir in this one. I would refuse to play Sims 3 without Twallan's mods.

Join the club. We meet at the bar on Tuesday afternoons.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?