Replies: 324 (Who?), Viewed: 12301 times.
Page 13 of 13
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#301 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaG
I will consider getting Snowy Escape when they fix Yamachan, serial arsonist. I do not expect to purchase it any time soon.

I was flipping through YT last week. I don't remember who did it, but when they saw a picture of Yamachan, they squealed and talked about how cute he is. My monitor almost ended up wearing a mouthful of Diet Pepsi. Clearly this person hasn't spent a whole lot of time playing Snowy Escape and or gives TS4 sims a pass for being arsonists.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#302 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 8:38 PM
Free trial of Sims 4 DLC Island Living going on for a few days https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/dlc-trial
Alchemist
#303 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 11:34 PM Last edited by daisylee : 22nd Nov 2021 at 3:07 AM.
I am hoping Country goes on sale for half off soon as probably will get when/if that happens.

EDIT: I just got as on sale now. Will have fun probably totally redoing all lots and building new. And actually play a bit.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#304 Old 22nd Nov 2021 at 5:48 PM
Sims Community: Maxis! Our games lag.

Maxis: Pfft, lag. What lag? You don't know what you're talking about.

This couldn't possibly be part of the problem. How many Crumplebottom's does a TS4 hood actually need?

https://youtu.be/EmH-qTUwJTg?t=1233

Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#305 Old 23rd Nov 2021 at 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Sims Community: Maxis! Our games lag.

This couldn't possibly be part of the problem. How many Crumplebottom's does a TS4 hood actually need?

https://youtu.be/EmH-qTUwJTg?t=1233

For several Ms. Crumplebottom clones, I probably might buy this pack.

Taiwan Soul! / My Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#306 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 12:04 AM
2022, We will all have our own PRONOUNS!!
The Sims Team to reveal progress on The Sims 4 Pronouns Update in January
Does anyone happy with it?

I have no opinion on this, there are not many Taiwan ts4 players, our opinion is not important.
I think most people would not use pronouns most of the time.

Taiwan Soul! / My Tumblr
Alchemist
#307 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohui

HUH? That is a top priority of something to do? GEEZ!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#308 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohui

I have no opinion on this, there are not many Taiwan ts4 players, our opinion is not important.
I think most people would not use pronouns most of the time.

I wonder how many pronouns they'll come up with for all of the clones and will Yamachan finally get a official title of "Arsonist". I'm being cheeky ( mostly), but I'm going to fall back on my usual "Their game, their way".
Mad Poster
#309 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 5:12 AM
Quote:
(news on update from SimsVip)
...Story Progression is one giant system that can only be turned on or off, leaving many players feeling like they must choose between a chaotic world and a boring one. Neighborhood Stories adds the rich gameplay settings I mentioned above, alleviating this issue while solving for the goal: you choose how Neighborhood Stories affects your game.

Neighborhood stories, too?
*sigh*
As long as this one also comes with a great, big off button, I'll most likely leave it off after maybe testing it out once. I don't like chaos, or whatever the team thinks is rich gameplay. I prefer "boring". It's chaotic enough to switch households in TS4 with story progression turned off in a vanilla game. And leaving it on the setting where neighbors are going to call your sims every 5 minutes to decide if they're going to have a baby or not is quickly going to get annoying, methinks. But I guess we'll see...

I'm just hoping for the extra off-button for the non-storyprogression lovers out there ('cause there are some of us, too).
Smeg Head
#310 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 5:21 AM Last edited by coolspear1 : 24th Nov 2021 at 5:38 AM.
Might even help with the lag too! After all, if people kept addressing me incorrectly, I certainly would not be as motivated as I could be. Who knew this was the answer?

I don't know what the collective noun would be to express "with such a small selection of insignificant, unremarkable, un-defining traits we all end up the frikken same regardless of gender," but I'm sure Maxis will come up with something for January. Or just stick to the working pronoun, "TS4 Sims."

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#311 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 3:08 PM
Let's discuss...

Quote:
Those familiar with The Sims 3 are probably reminded of Story Progression. Both Story Progression and Neighborhood Stories allow Sims all over the game to experience life changes. However, I want to highlight two key differences:

Story Progression is one giant system that can only be turned on or off, leaving many players feeling like they must choose between a chaotic world and a boring one. Neighborhood Stories adds the rich gameplay settings I mentioned above, alleviating this issue while solving for the goal: you choose how Neighborhood Stories affects your game.

Neighborhood Stories will have a much smaller range of life changes. This is because most of the work we’re doing now is on the underlying systems that drive these life changes, plus the gameplay settings we just talked about. That means better tools to create better gameplay, but first we have to do the work!

Have a baby with their partner
The autonomous version of this life change originates from Eco Lifestyle. We have added support for Sentiments and the Sim-influenced version is all new.

Accept a marriage proposal
Originates from Eco Lifestyle. Added support for Sentiments.

Form or deepen Friendly relationships
Originates from Get Together. Added more dynamic outcomes: if your Sim encourages a friend to hang out with someone they already despise, they won’t like that! On the other hand, if they form a new friendship, then they may also gain positive Sentiments toward your Sim.

Trash talk one Sim to another
Originates from Get Together. Added more dynamic outcomes: Sims will not take kindly to trash talk about their friends. Added special moodlets for Mean or Evil Sims.

Try to get two Sims to form a Romantic relationship
Originates from Get Together. Added more dynamic outcomes: Neighbor Sims won’t pair up with Sims whose traits conflict, such as Good / Evil, and the active Sim has clearer responses to all possible outcomes.

Try to convince a Sim in a relationship to dump/divorce their Romantic partner
Originates from Get Together. Added more dynamic outcomes: Relationship strength between Sims matters and a failed attempt to break up a relationship might backfire with a negative Sentiment from one or both partners!

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/t...borhood-stories

I guess Maxis is back to their habit of shitting on their own work again. To be fair, it has been a few years. Maybe they were hoping we've forgotten about this habit after they spent the first 2 years of TS4 doing just that. I digress.

People that want to play TS3 and want control over their hood with Story Progression on, they do not have to suffer with Maxis' lackluster, poorly implemented / designed, piss poor version of it. NRAAS SP is a beast and is not perfect due to Maxis keeping code from modders, but it is as close to perfect as a player can get. https://www.nraas.net/community/Sto...on-Interactions

The feeling I'm getting from this upcoming update is players are going to be spending a lot of time clicking as a means of influencing specific behaviors instead of these behaviors happening 'organically'. I'm not convinced that Sentiments are going to do anything as TS4 has too many buffs that override any negative outcome.

If two sims do not like each other, the player should not have to do anything to 'influence' the outcome of that relationship unless they want to. In my TS3 game, I have many sims that do not like each other. I do not interfere with this in any way. If they want to fight, argue, call each other names, ect... I let them. When they are done beating the snot out of each other, they are not BFFs afterwards. They go on their way until the next fight happens. In TS4, two sims can fight and once the fight is over, they are right back to being friends again.

Quote:
Form or deepen Friendly relationships

Originates from Get Together. Added more dynamic outcomes: if your Sim encourages a friend to hang out with someone they already despise, they won’t like that! On the other hand, if they form a new friendship, then they may also gain positive Sentiments toward your Sim.

This is not a sim encouraging anything, it is the player clicking / making these decisions. Unless they are going to give the trait system a serious overhaul, this is all for not. As TS4 stands right now, traits are not relevant. Two sims can be polar opposites with their traits and yet they act identically alike or like every other sim in the neighborhood. Whether a person uses SP in TS3 or not, sims do not behave this way. Their traits have weight and actually mean something.

Another problem with TS4 game play is how neighborhoods function, or not as the case may be. Sims that spawn into any neighborhood do the same thing. They move in, grow old and die. There are no careers, relationships, children, ect... for these sims. They are around for set dressing; this update does not address this problem. This move in, grow old and die does not make a neighborhood dynamic. If a sim's sole purpose is to do nothing, a player interacting with that sim does not change that outcome. The same sim is still not going to have a job and so on.

TS4 sims will have babies with anybody. Be friendly with a sim met on the sidewalk, flirt a little, blah, blah,blah and within literally minutes, two sims will be high-fiving to have a baby. Anybody that has either played and or watched 100 Baby Challenge already knows this. For any doubters, here ya go.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvIycuF2hWg Within 20 minutes a single sim is preggo with a sim that she met on the street. Again, how does Sentiments help with this?

I could sit here all day with this, but I'm not going to. As always, I leave the door open for Maxis to prove me wrong, but this update feels like a band-aid that is trying to cover much bigger problems. Does anybody think that adding more Sentiments is going to help? Will hoods become more dynamic? Does anybody think sims are going to act differently from each other?
Lab Assistant
#312 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 3:34 PM
No matter what Maxis do, there are always need modders to fix it.

Taiwan Soul! / My Tumblr
Top Secret Researcher
#313 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 9:16 PM
I mean, don't get me wrong. Use whatever pronouns for yourself you want and I will respect that.

But...in a game like Sims...do pronouns even get used all that much? From what I remember of Sims 4 it uses the name of Sims rather than any pronoun to describe them. For example, if you invite a Sim over doesn't the message say, for example, "Bella will be right over!" instead of "She/He/They will be right over"?
So when do She/He/They/X even get used?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Alchemist
#314 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 9:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphalesion
I mean, don't get me wrong. Use whatever pronouns for yourself you want and I will respect that.

But...in a game like Sims...do pronouns even get used all that much? From what I remember of Sims 4 it uses the name of Sims rather than any pronoun to describe them. For example, if you invite a Sim over doesn't the message say, for example, "Bella will be right over!" instead of "She/He/They will be right over"?

I totally agree. And what would EA change to? To me this makes no sense. Probably maybe 1% of the real population identifies as wanting something like this, so for EA to do this instead of the many, many, many other things that are needed in this game is not logical to me. It is a game and just a game. Work on bug fixes, etc., as higher priority.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#315 Old 25th Nov 2021 at 6:55 PM
Seems like Sims 4 Steam sale on now https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=sims+4
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#316 Old 25th Nov 2021 at 7:56 PM
$4.79 USD for the base game. It is hard to believe that some people spent $60.00 and more when TS4 was first released.

Side note: I still to this day have to constantly correct myself when posting "TS4". I always end up typing it as "TS$". I think that is telling....
Lab Assistant
#317 Old 25th Nov 2021 at 9:23 PM Last edited by yaohui : 25th Nov 2021 at 9:44 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
$4.79 USD for the base game. It is hard to believe that some people spent $60.00 and more when TS4 was first released.

Side note: I still to this day have to constantly correct myself when posting "TS4". I always end up typing it as "TS$". I think that is telling....

I don't know the price of TS4 in Japan, but I remember it had a big discount in Japan, very very cheap I remember. I think there must be different sales strategies in Japan.
And this video shows how Japanese simmer reacts to the upcoming new kit, very funny.
https://youtu.be/XsF-QUfePSA?t=185

Skirt Men's Bomb! スカート男子爆誕!

Is it correct to call it a quilt? 正しくはキルトって言うんですかわ?
When the Cottage living EP was released in Taiwan, the price was NT$1299, but now is NT$1099, maybe I'm wrong.

Taiwan Soul! / My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#318 Old Yesterday at 12:33 AM
Quote:

To be fair, something like this should been thought-throuvh to ve included since the very launch of the game. As in a third gender option (called Non-Binary, Gender Fluid or whatever) to create/pick in CAS (which honestly in theory wouldn't require lots of development resources, as sex in this game mostly means whether a Sim can reproduce and walk in specific bathrooms), with the additional dropbox of a tab in CAS and birth-prompt allowing the player go through regular gender option (Sim if Can Pee, Give Birth, Clothing Gender and whatever Gender in String Message would like to identify).

Alias, as a cis person and player that prefers gameplay often than attention to text messages and alike stuff, this doesn't really interest to try the game and give it any more chances. Pronouns will not restore my faith that devs care to please veteran players.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#319 Old Yesterday at 5:46 AM Last edited by daisylee : Yesterday at 12:46 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
To be fair, something like this should been thought-throuvh to ve included since the very launch of the game. As in a third gender option (called Non-Binary, Gender Fluid or whatever) ... Pronouns will not restore my faith that devs care to please veteran players.

I am going to disagree with this as this is just a game, and not meant to represent everyone on this earth. And per my other post, probably perhaps 1% of the population falls into these categories. And how many of those people play Sims 4? This is a game pretty much designed for the 12s. And I do not think that the target audience is pushing for these things.

I think the very vast majority of actual players would rather have them get other things done.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#320 Old Yesterday at 2:32 PM
Simmer Erin took a crack at trying to decipher EA's November fiscal report, which is fine. I think people need to see that through the eyes of Android Wilson, TS4 will never be EA's bread and buttah. That title will always be reserved for FIFA or what EA is now generalizing under a label of "EA Sports." We talk about how TS4 now cost almost $1,000.00, FIFA players spend thousands. If people want TS4 to get slobbered on by Android Wilson and his fleet of minions in a quarterly fiscal report, Maxis would have to drastically step up their game as the 's' on the end of thousand makes all the difference. Shareholders don't care about feelings, they only care about money. If you ever want to know what a company really thinks about you, read fiscal reports and or hang around websites that are all about the stock market. In just the past month, I've read many reports where CEOs are having legit temper tantrums because "People are not spending enough money". Meh, this subject is a whole other can of worms. I'm digressing and moving on.

The only reason I'm bringing this up is because Simmer Erin suggested that sometimes EA breaks down how much profit they make per game across their portfolio. That would be a big NOPE. They probably have ways of breaking things down per studio internally, but they will never come out and say how much TS4 made per quarter or otherwise. When EA sez that they made {fill in the blank} for a fiscal quarter, they are talking about all of their games while highlighting the biggest money makers for that quarter. For November, that was FIFA and Apex Legends. For anybody that has followed EA's fiscal quarterly reports for any amount of time, they already know at least FIFA is going to get a mention.

I've seen people do some weird stuff with these reports. People don't know what they are reading, so they stick their neck out claiming that TS4 made 2 billion in a quarter only to be knocked back into reality when somebody comes along and tells then that, that amount was for the entire company, not just TS4. DOH!

IS SIMS 4 STILL MAKING MONEY?- EA FINANCIAL REPORT NOVEMBER 2021 / NEWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cViIvZ5ZtFE
Mad Poster
#321 Old Yesterday at 9:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
I am going to disagree with this as this is just a game, and not meant to represent everyone on this earth. And per my other post, probably perhaps 1% of the population falls into these categories. And how many of those people play Sims 4? This is a game pretty much designed for the 12s. And I do not think that the target audience is pushing for these things.

I think the very vast majority of actual players would rather have them get other things done.

Fair point. Though in this modern world, most options have three sex when filling out forms. Ofc you're not gonna represent everyone, but we all know that people aren't just male or female. For TS5, I think it be right direction to include third type of Sim (because really, sex is simplified in this game in terms of gameplay), I'll admit - I never thought about said feature until it cross my mind of the pronoun thing.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#322 Old Yesterday at 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
For TS5, I think it be right direction to include third type of Sim ...

FYI: the disagree was not me. My guess is that will not be done as the game at least now is geared to a pretty young, generic audience. And I expect any future versions will be also. They are trying to reel in the masses, and not every individual.
Top Secret Researcher
#323 Old Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Quote:

I mean replacing "he" and "she" with They is not that much work, I think. And not unreasonable either, in my opinion. They is quickly becoming normalized as the gender-neutral pronoun. And since language is always evolving, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact they has been used as a gender-neutral noun for centuries, in cases were a person's gender was unknown.
"M'lady! A petitioner has arrived!" "Send THEM in!"

The only issue is how languages that lack neutral pronouns would translate it.

But yeah it's also true that there are worse issues in the game right now. But I also agree that Sims 5 might use they from the start.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Alchemist
#324 Old Today at 1:52 AM Last edited by daisylee : Today at 2:14 AM.
Quote:
I mean replacing "he" and "she" with They is not that much work, I think. And not unreasonable either, in my opinion. They is quickly becoming normalized as the gender-neutral pronoun. And since language is always evolving, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact they has been used as a gender-neutral noun for centuries, in cases were a person's gender was unknown.
"M'lady! A petitioner has arrived!" "Send THEM in!"

The only issue is how languages that lack neutral pronouns would translate it.

But yeah it's also true that there are worse issues in the game right now. But I also agree that Sims 5 might use they from the start.

If the pronouns change is an option one can select I have no problem with it whatsoever, but if this is done as a total replacement I do have an issue with that. Major one, as the extreme majority of the world does not consider themselves to be gender neutral/multiple/whatever or their Sims to be. To force the pronoun change for everyone would be wrong to me, as is something that so few people feel they need to have.

Option:OK Mandatory:no IMO
Scholar
#325 Old Today at 2:15 AM
Quote:
If the pronouns change is an option one can select I have no problem with it whatsoever, but if this is done as a total replacement I do have an issue with that. Major one. For the extreme majority of the world does not consider themselves to be gender neutral/multiple/whatever or their Sims to be. To force the pronoun change for everyone would be wrong to me, as is something that so few people feel they need to have.

Option:OK Mandatory:no IMO

Oh yeah, makes me think of Animal Crossing New Horizons - you are never gendered in the game's dialogue ever, IIRC.

There really isn't any reason to not have gendered dialogue other than I guess not wanting to set up the system to have it change based on which gender you are playing as. Animal Crossing has been fairly progressive on gender issues since at least New Leaf (where guys could wear skirts and dresses just like girls), but even still, I doubt the choice of no gendered dialogue was based on this at all. But that's another topic.

I see no reason for this to happen with The Sims 4, if the gendered dialogue is already in place, then the system of switching out pronouns and the like is already there, and it's really just a matter of adding gender neutral pronouns like "they/them" as an option and being done. Really doesn't sound like a big deal to implement, shouldn't take much time, but I'm not a game developer so IDK.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Page 13 of 13