Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 6:20 PM
I finally had a little of time to test and yeahhh it works !! I haven't tested it with sims yet but it seems to work fine ! it's just weird to see that you have to change the Z value whereas you change the Y one in the 3D editor.

Thanks a lot for your help Numenor, as usual you're here to share your knowledge with everyone, it's so generous

- Speech is silver but silence is gold -
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 11th Jan 2007 at 1:01 AM
Hi,

You know, I always miss the balk of these conversations somehow. I was wondering, can the routing slot be used to change the proxcemity of a sim from an object...for example, if you wanted to use the animation for putting a book back on the shelf to make a sim touch a wall, can you use the routing slot to change where the sim stands when the animation begins? Without a bookshelf, the regular animation is not even close to the wall, so I would need the animation to begin when the sim is at a position closer to the wall. Can the Routing slot be used for this via the "go to routing slot" primitive?

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]I think that the only real way to be hypocrisy free is to stand up for nothing…and I’d rather deal with sometimes being a hypocrite than wake up one day, prostrate in my own apathy.
. *Me*
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#28 Old 11th Jan 2007 at 11:45 AM
Yes it can. If you change the location of the routing slot, then the sim will walk to the new location instead of the old location. You may need to make sure that the routing slot is not inside the footprint of the new object though, because that can cause routing failures (you know, when sims wave their hands in the air and say they can't reach something).
Instructor
#29 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 8:58 PM
I've actually had issues where I set the footprint (the no-walk way via the complicated hexadecimal coding) but my Sims still step into the object despite it because of routing slots. I'm currently trying to find out which part is the one that tells the sim how close to stand when reaching for the drawer on my dresser. Hopefully that will get resolved. For my mirror I had to tell the Sims to stand farther away because they were putting their faces through the glass.
I'm going to have fun trying to figure out which routing slot relates to the drawer now. I think I found it but only testing will tell. Wish me luck!
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 1:53 AM
Default please help
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
If you change the mesh of a coffee table to make it look taller, you need to move the slots, as well; but this is NOT done by editing the values in the SLOT file; you'd rather change the "Translation" values for the slots that are stored in the CRES.
Ppen the CRES and select the Hierarchy tab: you will see one or more "slot..." entries; select them (ignore the ones labeled with "route" or "target") and look at the "Translation" box on the left.
A higher value of Z moves the slot upwards: so, if you have raised the table surface by 0.5 in your 3D editor, you have to add 0.5 to the Z value.

Just to clear up, the parameter I7 that you have changed doesn't "move" the slot: it just qualifies a cntainer slot as "placed on an end table" or "placed on a dining table", etc. So that, whan a sim needs to put something on an end table, he will know how to choose the right slot where to put the object into.

please help Numenor, I done that for and entable, but instead of been taller, I want it shorter, so I put -0.5 ,the negative signt so it shoul be shorter I went into my game and the table is burry in the ground but I try to put an ornament and it did placed at the hight I want it, but the table is not at the right level with that because its in the floor,what did I miss,because the end table is made shorter, should I live it at the original level, and then move the value of z in simpe??
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#31 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 3:20 AM
You're probably moving the wrong node in the cres. You should look for a node with the word "slot" in the name, and not a "joint" or a "practical". That's the one you need to change the height on.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
You're probably moving the wrong node in the cres. You should look for a node with the word "slot" in the name, and not a "joint" or a "practical". That's the one you need to change the height on.

Thanks , but I did move the one that sais slot,and the problem is the same
Instructor
#33 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by soloyo
so I put -0.5
That's height below ground, so it workd correctly You needed to substract 0.5 from previous value, not put it. Check the height of your table in your modelling program, and put that exact value; keep in mind that 0 is ground level, and 3.0 is next floor level, so your value should be between these two.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasana_BugBreeder
That's height below ground, so it workd correctly You needed to substract 0.5 from previous value, not put it. Check the height of your table in your modelling program, and put that exact value; keep in mind that 0 is ground level, and 3.0 is next floor level, so your value should be between these two.

thanks Jasana, but I already fix the problem, I let the endtable in its original hight and I move in SimPE the z value, I used the same value -0.5 and works properly at the hight I really want it, thanks for all your ansewrs, because you answer me that put my brain to work, thanks
Scholar
#35 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 11:56 PM
Are there any actual tutorials on how to do the slots in Simpe????
Instructor
#36 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 6:43 AM
fisheeyes had wrote the Creating Working Slots for Extended Objects a while ago, that's probably the only tutorial about slots.
Scholar
#37 Old 29th Oct 2007 at 1:56 AM
I saw that one. I need a tutorial on how to make slots for custom objects that don't already have slots.
Instructor
#38 Old 29th Oct 2007 at 7:23 AM
Raincandy, there's no separate tutorial for that, but if you'll think up over the other tutorial you'll find a way. For a working slot, you need - SLOT resource, slot name listed in appropriate STR# resource, slot name and position listed in CRES, and the code to handle the slot (without the code, slot will be only usable by user - i.e. you can put a vase there, sim wouldn't be able to put mail/whatever there).
Objects usually have at least one SLOT resource. In case of tables, they have container slots as well, so you could simply clone SLOT resource and link to it in OBJD. In random object case, there can be 2 variants:
- SLOT resource contains only 1 routing slot - then you can simply extract SLOT resource from another object with slot type you want (i.e. from end table), and replace the SLOT resource in your package
- SLOT resource contains other slots, maybe even some containers (AFAIR, armoires have some other slots) - then you have no other choice than manually add container slot data to existing slot resource - click Add and then fill all those fields, yes, it's boring
Editing STR# and CRES is described in tutorial. Values of fields in SLOT are described in this thread.
Adding code for sims to 'see' that slot would be the hardest, because you'll need to add slot-handling BHAVs (and placement functions to OBJf), and not mess existing code. I'm afraid there can't be detailed tutorial for this, because for different object categories steps would be different.
If you really want to - I suggest to start from other BHAV-related tutorials, to get the idea of what BHAVs are. Or make the user-interactable slot only first.
Or start from something simpler - good knowledge of package structure is really helpful when you toy with slots and such, so maybe you'd try some simpler object first?
Scholar
#39 Old 20th Nov 2007 at 9:11 AM
What if you add slots, but they don't show up in the CRES Hierarchy tab? How can you change the slot height then?

I followed the "Creating Working Slots for Extended Objects" tutorial to the best of my knowledge, but the slot was on the floor in the game. I edited the slot height in Simpe, and tested my object ingame again, and there was no difference. My new slot doesn't show up under the CRES hierarchy tab, so I used the Blocklist dropdown list to select it, and edit the height that way, but still no difference. I don't know what else to do. How am I supposed to adjust the slot height?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#40 Old 20th Nov 2007 at 9:24 AM
If your slot doesn't show up under the hierarchy tab, then you haven't correctly linked it to any existing nodes. You need to go into the node which you want to have as its parent, then add your node to its list of children.

If the slot doesn't appear in the cres hierarchy, then it will always default to a position of (0,0,0) in game, because it doesn't know what it's supposed to be relative to.
Scholar
#41 Old 20th Nov 2007 at 9:02 PM Last edited by Rainncandy : 24th Nov 2007 at 12:13 PM.
In the "Creating Working Slots for Extended Objects" tutorial, Step 3 states this:

Select ‘Object Data’ from the resource tree
Select your newly created OBJD file and find the slot id value under the ‘raw data’ tab. In hexadecimal view change this value to match your new slot file instance number. Commit.

What does it mean by "newly created OBJD file"? I don't see one. I just see the one that it already had. Am I supposed to clone it to make a new one? It doesn't say clone, but are we supposed to clone it?

I have had problems with this tutorial because it is vague in some parts. It doesn't always state exactly what to do. I guess we have to figure it out ourselves.
Instructor
#42 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 3:22 PM
Raincandy, tutorial "Creating Working Slots for Extended Objects" is dealing with extended object - they add tile first, then make slots for it. If you are adding slots to existing object - there's already reference to SLOT in existing OBJDs, so, there's unlikely that you'll need to modify OBJD.

When a tutorial is unclear, it's good idea to follow it strictly, without any changes. Once you are completely familiar with the steps of tutorial, you can adapt them to your project - add some, exclude some.
Scholar
#43 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 2:09 AM
Yes, I know. I have made a wall shelf and it already has one slot. I'm trying to add another slot to it.

You said that when a tutorial is unclear, it's a god idea to follow it strictly, but I don't understand it. How can I "Select my newly created OBJD file", if I didn't create a new objd file? That makes no sense to me. What do I do on that part? Just edit the slot file id even though it already has one? It states to change the slot id file to my new instance number, but it already had one. So I need to change it anyway? What's going to happen to the slot id it already had for the original slot? That's why this tutorial makes no sense to me, and why I've been having so many problems. It's a vague tutorial.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#44 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 4:35 AM
Jasana means that you should do the tutorial as it was intended the first time. That is, you should try adding the slots to a newly extended table. Then the instructions will match exactly what you're doing. The tutorial isn't vague, it's quite specific. It's just that it's specific to a task which is different to what you are trying to use it for.

If you follow the tutorial with a newly extended table, then you should understand the process a bit better for that specific case. Once you understand the specific case, it's easier to generalise that information to other cases, like adding a slot to a wall shelf.
Scholar
#45 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 5:39 AM Last edited by Rainncandy : 25th Nov 2007 at 6:36 AM.
Echo, I went and tried a table with 3 slots to add another slot, like in the tutorial, and I still don't understand it. It's no different from when I was trying to add another slot to my wall shelf. The part I'm having trouble with is the part about selecting the NEWLY CREATED OBJD file. I don't see a new one. I only see the ones that originally came with the table. Where is this newly created OBJD file? I don't get it. That's why I say this tutorial is vague. It says select the newly created OBJD file, but there isn't a new one. There are only the same ones that came with the table. This is REALLY getting on my nerves.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#46 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 6:53 AM
It's not adding slots to an existing object, it's adding slots to an object which has had its footprint extended. It's assuming that you are following on from this tutorial:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=97054
in which you add an additional OBJD. That's the newly created one he's talking about.
Scholar
#47 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 7:09 AM
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#48 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 2:55 AM
Anyone know how I can convert one kind of slot into another? I'm working with the maxis changing table and I'm not using the slot where the baby lays down anymore, can I convert this into a decorative slot?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#49 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 9:34 AM
You can, as long as you make sure none of the code for the baby-snapping is ever going to get called

Just go to the SLOT file, find the line which refers to the slot in question, and change its "i7" value. At the moment it will be set to 0x07, which means "can contain sims". I'd suggest "contain things placeable on low tables", which is 0x04. The numbers are the same as the ones used for placement options here if you want something different:
http://www.modthesims2.com/printthread.php?t=82685

Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#50 Old 26th Jan 2009 at 5:03 AM
I did that but then the item doesn't show up where it should. I looked in the CRES heirachy and the only slot that is there is a route slot. I think that I need to translate the slot but how do I go about that?
Page 2 of 3