Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

HQ Texture Converter - version 2.7.0.0 - updated 2/14/2023

by CmarNYC Posted 23rd Nov 2018 at 8:35 PM - Updated 14th Feb 2023 at 5:12 PM by CmarNYC : New version upload

247 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 219 Feedback Posts, 27 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 10
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#26 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 5:42 PM
It looks like processing these large resized images and creating new mipmaps is genuinely difficult for computer memory management. The solution might be more efficient code although so far my efforts seem to have made things worse. Or maybe going to a higher .NET version which would leave out any OS lower than I think Win 7. Or both. Still working on it!

Quote: Originally posted by Arabelle_Amara
Hi Cmar! This is an amazing tool!

I, too, received the error, but it was after 724 images (out of 1387). I do not know if this extra information is helpful or not. I will continue working on other folders, and see if I can find any new information regarding it.

Any information may be helpful, thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by Tiffany A
This is a really great tool! But sometimes I run into a problem where when I convert a piece of cc that has its own shadow texture, in game there will be black lines on or around that piece of cc. Is there any way for this issue to be fixed? Other than that, I'm not having any problems and the tool runs very, very well.

I'm not seeing this happening with shadow textures. Could you upload the original and converted packages? Are you sure this tool caused it, since I see converting to png and back causes it?

Quote: Originally posted by hbcublackgirl
I got the error message too and I narrowed it down to which cc file specifically caused it for me.
Error Message:
Link to CC that caused it: http://bit.ly/2DVjxy4

Thanks for the report! My browser thinks the download link is unsafe so I haven't tested with that package, but the memory errors seem to be causing some really bizarre, seemingly unrelated errors, so I'll revisit this if/when I get it to not run out of memory.

Quote: Originally posted by dobro
I have the same thing, it happened when we manualy converted shadow map in png instead of dds(((

Thanks, that's helpful!

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#27 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 7:36 PM
Here are the packages:

Non-HQ: http://www.mediafire.com/file/h73pb...t+Pants.package

HQ: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ccaj0...PantsHQ.package

I'm suspecting that it might be the converter causing it, because when I exported the shadow texture from the Non-HQ package as a .dds, manually resized it in photoshop and then imported it into the converted HQ package and tested it in game, it was fine after that.

I'm not seeing the problem in either package - please double-check.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#28 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 11:39 PM
I ran the original Non-HQ package through the converter again to check if the same thing happens and I'm still getting the same results. I remember when I tried manually converting cc a while ago the same thing would happen, but I never figured out why. Once I saw that a bunch of the cc I manually converted kept having the same black lines on them, it made me stop trying to convert my cc to HQ. I just thought that maybe I misread the tutorial and that it was something I managed to mess up all on my own, lol. I never realized that the resized shadow texture might have been the problem until I read Remus' post here: http://remussims.tumblr.com/post/16...onversion-to-hq

That's why when I ran into the same problem this time after using the HQ converter, I exported and checked the shadow of some of the 'black-lined' pieces of cc that I tested in-game, and they all had the same thin black lines around the texture. Do you think like @dobro said that it's the shadow textures being converted from .dds to .png that could be causing this?

Are you guys still having this problem?

I tried again and saw a line around the waist but not on the legs - I missed it before because my sim was wearing a longer top. When I tried another converted package there were lines on the hands and legs. The lines don't show up in CAS Tools preview or in the converted DDS image when I open it in GIMP, which makes me wonder if it's caused by using an HQ texture in a game not using the HQ mod. Are you testing in a non HQ game? Has anyone using the HQ mod seen this issue in converted clothing?

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#29 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 5:29 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I can do about it but I'll see.

Test Subject
#30 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
I tried again and saw a line around the waist but not on the legs - I missed it before because my sim was wearing a longer top. When I tried another converted package there were lines on the hands and legs. The lines don't show up in CAS Tools preview or in the converted DDS image when I open it in GIMP, which makes me wonder if it's caused by using an HQ texture in a game not using the HQ mod. Are you testing in a non HQ game? Has anyone using the HQ mod seen this issue in converted clothing?

In DDS you can't see this black lines, but when you export shadow map in PNG and check it in PS you can see it.
I fixed it with eraser, but then figured it out that it appears because of the file format
Test Subject
#31 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 7:23 AM
Concerning the black lines, there was a topic posted about this very thing found in remussims tumblr page.

"ANONYMOUS
SENT A MESSAGE
first of all thanks for the CC conversion to HQ guide, but i'm running into a small problem on some hairs.. once converted to HQ compatible, they show in game but have a thin black line running around the forehead and face.. how do i correct this?

remus replies:
Save the shadow in .dds format or fill in the background with white colour before saving as .png! This should help it "
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#32 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 8:11 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 26th Nov 2018 at 8:26 AM.
Yeah, it can be fixed manually but the tool needs to do it automatically. Thanks for the tip about exporting to png, it gives me a much easier way to see the lines.

I found some info on this problem when scaling images (surprisingly little, though) tried an adjustment, and now the converted shorts have no black line in my non-HQ game. I'm going to have to set up HQ at some point for testing but in the meantime could you test in HQ, Tiffany A? If the lines are still there I'll try something more complicated. No rush, I'm still working on getting the thing to run on large packages without throwing memory errors.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  [Ahri] Sweet PantsHQ wrapmode.zip (337.9 KB, 10 downloads)

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#33 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 3:29 PM
That was disappointing... Could you try this one? Might be a little better image quality too. I need a little time to set up to use HQ.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  [Ahri] Sweet PantsHQ alpha.zip (342.7 KB, 8 downloads)

Test Subject
#34 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 4:45 PM
Hey! The black lines become apparent when a shadow map is saved in PNG format. I guess it has something to do with transparency as not all shadow maps are causing this issue. Shadow maps without transparency (white background) don't cause any issues regardless of file type (png/dds). Sticking to dds format never caused black lines to happen so far.
Maybe that helps :x
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#35 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 5:27 PM
RemusSirion, we're thinking alike.

I found that in s4pe if I disable the alpha I could see the line in the rgb if I look closely, and I read that there can be lines in a resized image caused by sharp edges in an alpha. Might be related to premultiplying - I'm pretty sure EA textures are not premultiplied while png is so possibly extracting a png has the same effect.

Anyway, for my attempt above I copied and blanked the alpha and resized the rgb channels and alpha separately, then put them back together, on the theory that this avoids alpha problems. It looks okay to me in s4pe but my eyes aren't the greatest. If this doesn't work I can try just stripping the alpha completely, since I think you're saying a fully opaque (white) alpha works.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#36 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 10:31 PM
Well, I guess that's progress. Will try something else later.

Test Subject
#37 Old 27th Nov 2018 at 1:20 AM
This is a really great tool! But sometimes I run into a problem where when I convert a piece of cc that has its own shadow texture, in game there will be black lines on or around that piece of cc. Is there any way for this issue to be fixed? Other than that, I'm not having any problems and the tool runs very, very well.

Here's a picture of what I mean:

And here's a link to a pic of this cc's hq resized shadow texture with the black lines around it: https://i.imgur.com/fypPHYk.png

I ran the files again that had the texture glitch in non-HQ and that seemed to correct the issue on my end. It didn't work on the HQ
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#38 Old 27th Nov 2018 at 8:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfunstuff
I ran the files again that had the texture glitch in non-HQ and that seemed to correct the issue on my end. It didn't work on the HQ

There's certainly no easy fix but I'm trying to find a solution.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#39 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 12:41 AM
Making progress on both problems!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  [Ahri] Sweet PantsHQ.zip (336.7 KB, 11 downloads)

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#40 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 1:36 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 28th Nov 2018 at 3:05 PM.
Unfortunately I also removed the actual shadow. So still needs some work.

Edit: Think I have the shadow problem resolved - seems to be caused by the green background that transparent parts of a texture have when converted to an image/png. Setting that to white before resizing got rid of the shadow lines. However, I'm still getting a thin black line around the texture itself which may show up depending on how the item is uv mapped.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#41 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 9:38 PM
@iconic @claudiasharon @LunaLechuza @Tiffany A @dobro @RemusSirion and everyone

Version 2 is uploaded which fixes the issue of dark lines on shadows and textures, includes sharpening, and if you can use the 64-bit version and have enough RAM (most computers that can run with HQ should qualify) should fix the memory errors. If you could test it and give feedback that would be great!

Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 9:50 PM
@iconic @claudiasharon @LunaLechuza @Tiffany A @dobro @RemusSirion and everyone

Version 2 is uploaded which fixes the issue of dark lines on shadows and textures, includes sharpening, and if you can use the 64-bit version and have enough RAM (most computers that can run with HQ should qualify) should fix the memory errors. If you could test it and give feedback that would be great!

Awesome, thanks so much!
Test Subject
#43 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 11:20 PM
Wow, great! I'll check it right now!!!
Test Subject
#44 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 11:23 AM

Oh my, you're so fast!
It is fantastic to hear that you managed to fix the shadow lines and ram issue, and on top of that you even added a sharpening option! You're the hero we need but don't deserve.
Will test this as soon as possible to send you some feedback, hopefully today
Test Subject
#45 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 3:22 PM
So, I tested it in cas and in game, everything is fine for now! I converted a folder with some hairstyles
Test Subject
#46 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LunaLechuza
Oh my, you're so fast!
It is fantastic to hear that you managed to fix the shadow lines and ram issue, and on top of that you even added a sharpening option! You're the hero we need but don't deserve.
Will test this as soon as possible to send you some feedback, hopefully today

Alright, tested it today on a variety of CAS items (accessories, clothes, shoes, hairs, make-up) and it seems to turn out fine in game.

Converted 2 sets of 100 packages with the sharpening option (set to 50%) and unticked the option to skip grey-scaled textures. Took about 6 hours in total (could be more actually). Converting without the sharpening option definitely goes faster, but it's worth it if you want the quality to be the best it can be Some textures already look alright when they are resized and adding too much sharpening makes them look too strong in-game. Other textures do need a lot sharpening and then at least 50% or more makes it look much better in-game. In that case it's perfect that we can set a preferred percentage
I haven't ran into memory issues or crashes either (I would never choose to do more than 100 packages at once anyway, preferably even less).

One little thing I did notice when going into CAS is that some cc that doesn't have a custom thumbnail displays the black lines of the shadowmap in the thumbnail, but there are no black lines when the sim is wearing the item - so the shadow is fine, the thumbnail just doesn't show it correctly for some reason. THOUGH this is nothing major (I wouldn't fret about this to be honest )

Conclusion: so far everything works smoothly! If I happen to run into issues later on then I will report them immediately
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#47 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 6:25 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 2nd Dec 2018 at 8:34 PM.
Thank you both for testing! Interesting observation about the thumbnails - I'll take a look at preventing it for a future version but agree it doesn't seem like a major problem that has to be fixed soon. (Possibly it's because the shadows were sharpened - have to test that.) And yes, I think it's useful to be able to fine-tune the sharpening to suit individual CC so I'm grateful I was able to find a sharpening algorithm that's tunable.

Test Subject
#48 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 6:44 PM
Thank you both for testing! Interesting observation about the thumbnails - I'll take a look at preventing it for a future version but agree it doesn't seem like a major problem that has to be fixed soon. (Possibly it's because the shadows were sharpened - have to test that.) And yes, I think it's useful to be able to fine-tune the sharpening to suit individual CC so I'm grateful I was able to find a sharpening algorithm that's tunable.

That might be possible! Without sharpening (or disabling sharpening for grey textures) the lines are not visible on the thumbnail.
With the sharpening option I would personally recommend to not go over 50% though, unless you want the textures to look over-exposed. 50% seems to be just fine

Something new that I noticed when converting CAS items in general: if the creator made a (custom) specular and imported those as PNG then the HQ converter somehow makes these super shiny. It can be easily fixed by exporting the specular manually as PNG and importing it back as PNG. I guess it has something to do with the converter saving the specular as DDS by default? It doesn't happen to CC that has a base-game specular or to speculars that have been imported as DDS already.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#49 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 11:17 PM
That's interesting about the speculars and clearly indicates there's some difference between EA and DDS imported specs and PNG imported specs despite them having the same format and acting the same in-game. I resize them by separating the mask into an image and then resizing the DDS main image and the mask both in the standard way, then putting them back together, like you would do manually. Since the main image alpha isn't really an alpha channel it might make sense to try splitting them into an RGB, an alpha image, a mask image, resize them all separately, then put them together. Luckily the specs are smaller and don't need sharpening so it wouldn't take noticeable extra time.

Yes, I thought 50 was a good sharpening level for most textures, thanks for agreeing!

Could you link me to at least one item that gets super shiny?

Test Subject
#50 Old 4th Dec 2018 at 1:42 AM
First off, thanks so much for this. As someone who relies on freebie tools to convert to HQ, this has certainly reduced a lot of the hassle.

Regarding the clothes with the broken thumbnail previews in CAS, I've actually found some CC where converting it to HQ ends up with it only looking correct on the sim in CAS. Everywhere else I've seen - CAS thumbnail, save preview image, actual in-game sim and the sim mood display - all have black lines of varying degrees. See the image in the spoiler below for what I mean, although you'll kind of have to squint to see the black lines on the shoulders in the mood display. (Apologies for the 90s style collage. Not sure why I did that, lol.) For reference, this is the top in question but, really, all three pieces of that creator's content that I've grabbed and run through the tool have come out with the same issue. I don't know nearly enough about image processing to understand why though.

Lastly, even though I'm not much of an image expert, I am a developer and looking at code to see how things are done always fascinates me. Of course, I tend to go down a rabbit hole when I do that and, well, I now have a version of the tool that now supports converting multiple images at once that seems fairly stable. (Up to 4 at a time on 32-bit and 7 on 64-bit.) I also improved some other parts, like fixing the window being unresponsive when the conversion is on-going. I'm more than happy to share it with you if you want but, fair warning, outside of the image processing parts, it's kind of radically different. (Sorry, restructuring code written by others until it makes sense in my head is a bad habit.) And, for reference, the images above were taken with output from the EXE on the download page just to make sure I didn't generate any false positives, but I do get the same result with my version as well.

Anyways, thanks again! It's definitely changed my CC shopping mentality from "I really like that but...ugh" to "I'll just run it through the converter and, if it doesn't come out right, it's not a huge deal."
Page 2 of 10