Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 2:55 AM
Default Is the "more twins" Family aspiration LTA superpower a biological thing, or conveyed by parentage?
So, I'm making something where I have the opportunity to change which sims affect the extra twin chance that comes from the level 4 Family aspiration LTA perk. This basically is a chance to convert a single baby to twins every time the pregnant sim's belly pops. By default, it's triggered when the pregnant sim has the perk, or when the father who's stored on the pregnancy token has the perk. But of course, I've made a bunch of mods to change who the various parents of babies actually are, so the biological parents are no longer necessarily the real parents. So, which set of parents should determine if the twins perk applies? Should it always be the biological parents (including if the surrogate hack was used, where the biological parents might be different than the pregnant sim + the sim on the pregnancy token), or the real parents, so the father being the one you select with Name the Father or Sperm Donors, and the parents being the people who get the baby in the surrogate hack?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:05 AM
Twin likelihood is kind of a genetic thing isn't it, so I'd say that whomever are the biological parents should have it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:19 AM
True, but the biological likelihood of twins IRL doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you like having lots of kids. Since this is a semi-magical reward for sims who like having lots of kids, it might make more sense to say that it should be based on the sims that are actually going to have the kids.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:23 AM
Should probably have mentioned that I don't use the magical thing, so twins in my hood are entirely based on the genetic twin token. XD
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:34 AM
Probably not that much, actually. The twin token is only present in a few premades, and they don't pass it on to their children, so after the first generation it would just be random.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:38 AM
Really? I thought it was passed on. I also thought it could randomly generate in newly created sims.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:48 AM
Nope. There's a "pregnancy modifier" token that affects twin chances, but the way it appears and changes is pretty nonsensical and it's basically luck whether or not your pregnant sim has it or what it's set to when they get pregnant.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
I think a sim with the family asperation and eats lot's of cheesecake can also get a higher chance of having 2 babies when giving birth, something I've read somewhere online,

Iirc in an unmodded game, if there's space in the household for 2, and a pregnant sim eats cheesecake there's a 100% chance of twin pregnancy regardless of aspiration etc. I believe it was fixed with a mod.

To answer the thread; The "more twins" perk is aspiration based to enhance the life of the Sim with it, therefore to me if Sim A with a twins perk wants a baby with Sim B, but requires a donor (Sim C) - regardless of who the genetic parent is, Sim A's perk should still be relevant because they'll be the parents listed on the family tree just like with an adoption (or at least that's what I do with donors in my game - I don't have the mod so I don't know how it works) and will therefore be rolling future wants for the child. Whereas even if Sim C has the perk, they won't roll all that many wants for the child over their lifetime because family ties will be removed. But I guess it depends how "magical" you want your game to be, I personally don't use the perks because I try to play fairly realistic (so in my game twins would be purely biological through the twin token or random chance).

Fwiw, in my own game when I use "donors" I increase the chances of twins/trips/quads to replicate IVF statistics.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 12:43 AM
I've got a few Mods in my ame to alter the chances of a sim even getting pregnant so poor sims in my games are less likely to have babies and more likely to have single births if they do manage to get pregnant.Most of my poorest sims living in small homes or cramped apartments are mostly going to have a single baby when they give birth.It's because of the Mods though that would be different if I played vanilla.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 12:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
So, I'm making something where I have the opportunity to change which sims affect the extra twin chance that comes from the level 4 Family aspiration LTA perk. This basically is a chance to convert a single baby to twins every time the pregnant sim's belly pops. By default, it's triggered when the pregnant sim has the perk, or when the father who's stored on the pregnancy token has the perk. But of course, I've made a bunch of mods to change who the various parents of babies actually are, so the biological parents are no longer necessarily the real parents. So, which set of parents should determine if the twins perk applies? Should it always be the biological parents (including if the surrogate hack was used, where the biological parents might be different than the pregnant sim + the sim on the pregnancy token), or the real parents, so the father being the one you select with Name the Father or Sperm Donors, and the parents being the people who get the baby in the surrogate hack?

My opinion would be based upon the biological parents. If the one carrying the child is a surrogate, then his/her genetics shouldn't be involved.

But I'm not set in stone on that. If the perk belongs to the surrogate carrying the child, then I could see it applying to him/her. I can't see the perk being applied based upon who is assigned to be the parents if they weren't involved in either the actual biology or as the carrying surrogate.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 12:02 AM
Since people seem to have different opinions, maybe I will offer both options.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 4:24 AM
I've sometimes been horrified that my sim gave birth to twins living in an apartment because they were hoping to delay that until they'd moved into their own house.I've wanted twins a few times and they had trouble getting pregnant after upgrading their home.That's what drove me to hack my game out.I wanted to get more control over it so I could regulate when those accidents happened.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 11:11 AM
At times I was surprised if a single baby was born in my hood.
No cheats, hacks or even cheesecake used.
It was just random, and a quite normal hood - it seems to happen less in my other hoods (and I have the exact cc for all of them).
I thought the twin token was passed on, because the twins all had twins as well.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 4:05 PM
Funnily enough, my sister has always had terrible luck when it comes to having twins and by terrible luck, I mean twins are born in her game very frequently. She was doing some legacy style gameplay once before using the Pleasants and her Lilith had twins on all three of her pregnancies; six children, three sets of twins. It was hilarious watching her disbelief!

She always has twins at some point in her games without cheats and mods, meanwhile you have me who in her game twins are quite rare. In my Crystal Pleasantview for example, a hood that I've been playing for over a year now, I don't have many sets of twins; I have three, Isabelle and Maribella Lothario (the latter of which died in a storm fire as a teen), Priscilla and Elizabeth Goth, and lastly, Star and Mars Curious. That's it! Isabelle is in her late adult life now with a single daughter called Amanda who is a teenager, Priscilla and Elizabeth are both in their early adult hood with the latter having just left college and became Chief of Staff young, and Star and Mars are set to become teens while I play them. So these three sets are not too close in age. None of them have the Pregnancy Modifier Token either from what I remember.

However, I do have sims that have Pregnancy Modifier Tokens in their memories that didn't have them in early backups, usually placed after a child has been born to them. It's not happened with everyone just a few. I'm thinking that it's either a token that has the potential of randomly being assigned to sims, or in my case it's just a junk leftover token from a past pregnancy.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...