Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#76 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 6:38 PM
The white in CAS. It might just be me, though.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

My Tumblr
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dino_rex
Sorry been gone so long! Reinstalled TS3 recently and came up with a gray UI for testing as I promised ages ago. This is a complete overhaul. Please test if you get a chance and report issues before I submit for upload. Thanks!

Few weeks ago I took the files posted in this thread and created something very similar (with a little different grayscale). I kept some of the original colors (fonts, trait icons and some more). If i knew you are still working on your gray ui I wouldn't post it but well here it is: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=579123
Sorry for that, thought you abandoned the idea.
Mad Poster
#78 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BritannicStepanova
@GrijzePilion Can I ask where you got the background in your concept art? I'll try to recreate it.

I don't have the source file here but it's the TheSims3.com background colored in.

And I do agree, the colours could use tweaking. There's too much contrast right now, it's very distracting. What I do like about the original UI tint is that it is fairly neutral and as such, not distracting or hard to look at. I do think it would be cool if there was more to it than just giving the whole thing a different colour. But it took quite some time to poorly redesign every element in just one screen, and I didn't even rearrange or reshape any of it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#79 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 9:46 PM Last edited by BritannicStepanova : 12th Jul 2016 at 11:58 PM.
Awesome, I'll give it go.

@Dino_rex I noticed there are 3 .package files. Do I put all 3 in my mods folder, or just one?

To see a world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

My Tumblr
Test Subject
Original Poster
#80 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 2:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Helren
Few weeks ago I took the files posted in this thread and created something very similar (with a little different grayscale). I kept some of the original colors (fonts, trait icons and some more). If i knew you are still working on your gray ui I wouldn't post it but well here it is: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=579123
Sorry for that, thought you abandoned the idea.

Wow, I missed that, it's beautiful!! Don't apologize, that's why I posted the files. I'd love to see lots of UIs come out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#81 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 2:04 AM
Awesome, I'll give it go.

@Dino_rex I noticed there are 3 .package files. Do I put all 3 in my mods folder, or just one?

All three.
Mad Poster
#82 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 3:41 AM
@Grijze Pilion - Alverdinesims had a nice White UI here: http://alverdinesims.tumblr.com/pos...e-ui-its-pretty

I think she has the files- if some green accents are added, it'll come pretty close.
Instructor
#83 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
@Grijze Pilion - Alverdinesims had a nice White UI here: http://alverdinesims.tumblr.com/pos...e-ui-its-pretty

I think she has the files- if some green accents are added, it'll come pretty close.

Wow, at first glance, that looked like Sims 4 to me.

My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#84 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 4:57 PM
Wow, at first glance, that looked like Sims 4 to me.

Yeah, it looks great. But on closer inspection, the low contrast also looks a little bit weird.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#85 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 5:11 PM
Hi @GrijzePilion, got your PM- hope you don't mind if I kind of answer it here:

I don't have those files anymore, I was simply experimenting with the method and files that dino-rex kindly shared. There were too many issues I came across trying to get a nice looking light grey/white one and yes, low contrast and hard to distinguish buttons were one. If I increased contrast any more it lost that nice 'flat design' look since the UI has this slight gradient over everything that looks bad when pronounced.
And annoyingly, some of the text is actually light blue instead of dark blue and it was lost on the white background. I know there's a way to change text colour but I didn't think my efforts were good enough to bother doing that as well.

The post jje1000 linked to was me lamenting my poor Photoshop skills and begging for someone else with more skill and patience to make something similar

Also this:
Mad Poster
#86 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 5:33 PM
I think it looks good and with a little more work, I'd definitely use it in everyday gameplay. I wouldn't even mind the life states menu being buggered up; I loathe Supernatural and everything related to it.

insert signature here
Instructor
#87 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 3:47 AM
Lol, maybe if I'm ever feeling particularly masochistic I will give it another shot.
Test Subject
#88 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 9:42 PM
for someone that follow the tutorial but have some problems with change some icons and doesnt have the game in english

the problem is by the lenguage, for example , i have my sims 3 in spanish, and the sims 3 icon in the main menu doesnt change, that is because the logo say "los sims 3",and not the "sims 3", so that means it is other IMG file,in order to modify them you need the logo in the proper lenguage. you can find the sims 3 logos in the Fullbuild0.package just open it with the S3PE, and search for logo_small_ (lenguage, for expample es_ES in this case), you can do it with other images with the same problem, just need to search the image in the game package files, like the fullbuild (figure out what can be the name of the file), when you find the file, export it.
next edit it,and just import them in the package mod file with all the other images (dont modify the name), and that is all, you have new modified logo
Test Subject
#89 Old 19th Nov 2016 at 12:23 AM
Heyhi.

So, I came across this thread a week ago, and became inspired to try my hand ant redesigning the sims 3 UI.

Its far from done, very rough around its edges, and I don't really plan to make anything past the main HUD right now. But most of the general shapes are made in Illustrator and can be adapted to the other HUD sections easily. Its just time consuming. And Tedious.

But the main reason I'm posting is because I came across a problem where the game doesn't load the CAS clothes module. I can start to create a sim fine, but when I click clothes is doesn't display. I can click another module and exit CAS just fine. If I go directly to the clothes from a load screen (for instance the 'plan outfit' option from a dresser) the game will softlock. Anyone have any ideas why? If anyone is still... here...?
Mad Poster
#90 Old 19th Nov 2016 at 2:15 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 19th Nov 2016 at 3:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by chillf2d
Heyhi.

So, I came across this thread a week ago, and became inspired to try my hand ant redesigning the sims 3 UI.

Its far from done, very rough around its edges, and I don't really plan to make anything past the main HUD right now. But most of the general shapes are made in Illustrator and can be adapted to the other HUD sections easily. Its just time consuming. And Tedious.

But the main reason I'm posting is because I came across a problem where the game doesn't load the CAS clothes module. I can start to create a sim fine, but when I click clothes is doesn't display. I can click another module and exit CAS just fine. If I go directly to the clothes from a load screen (for instance the 'plan outfit' option from a dresser) the game will softlock. Anyone have any ideas why? If anyone is still... here...?

Download link, NOW. I need this in my life. I love you. Have my babies. If you don't continue this project I will roll up into a ball and make a high-pitched whining noise until you do.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#91 Old 19th Nov 2016 at 9:03 PM Last edited by chillf2d : 20th Nov 2016 at 2:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Download link, NOW. I need this in my life. I love you. Have my babies. If you don't continue this project I will roll up into a ball and make a high-pitched whining noise until you do.

Lol, here you go. Just be aware of the problem I noted. I traced it back to Dinorex's UI mods. I used his UIs as a base, but they all have the same issue for me. I tried out the Pink UI and didn't have the issue, so I'll be looking into a solution.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsvgp34xs...0Alpha.zip?dl=0

EDIT
I'll finish the primary HUD at least. The plan is to release a set of .PSD files that would make recoloring easy as clicking a few button in photoshop. But again, takes a lot of time.

EDIT2
I apparently have a mod conflict that causes the issue. The hunt begins...

EDIT 643
The conflict was with xCAS... I don't know a lick of coding, or how to make my own packages. can't say I know how to fix it, so... Guess I'll have to do some learning or find a new base UI mod. For now I'm just keeping xCAS out of the game.
Mad Poster
#92 Old 20th Nov 2016 at 10:07 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 1st Dec 2016 at 9:52 PM.
I've played around with it a little bit already, and this is actually the first UI mod I'm going to keep using after today. It might only be a Live Mode thingy, and even then an unfinished one, but I really like the look of it. Let me know if there's any way I can help! I haven't looked into the pie menus much, but I bet they're gonna be easy enough to change. After that it's Build/Buy which I suspect share a lot of image files.

EDIT: Still using it. I've tried to continue your work, but it indeed takes A LOT of time.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#93 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 4:35 AM
Well, I was going to do my own but not sure.. I want to do holiday themes.
Field Researcher
#94 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 7:39 AM
Bump, because I would really like to see this project taken further. @AGuyCalledPi Grijize, how's the work on finishing the ui? I saw your Bridgeport #88 episode which had the same ui but transparent, I would like to see that also in my game xD
Mad Poster
#95 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 1:01 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 22nd Apr 2019 at 2:08 PM.
I've done more work on it but I don't intend to finish or release it. I have too many other projects that I think will be more rewarding, even though I'm very happy with this new UI design.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#96 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 5:43 AM
Looking around on google and I found this early screenshot of the beta UI. https://simscommunity.info/wp-conte...92466120e_o.jpg

It looks much more simpler than what we have now.
Also the picture of the sims 2 sim, can still be found in one of the full build packages lol
Proof: https://web.archive.org/web/2010020...hp?f=21&t=31817
Field Researcher
#97 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 5:58 AM
Also, since this topic seems to be dead, I might as well make a list of all of the released UI recolours so far.

Sims 2 Style for Sims 3 (the one i personally use)
Grey UI with Blue Text
Grey UI that's a little more saturated
Sweet Dreams (Pink)
Green UI
Green / Black UI (unfinished) (Pictures here)

Also, something similar, a modernish select a world and loading screen. here
Mad Poster
#98 Old 25th Apr 2019 at 5:18 AM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 25th Apr 2019 at 5:34 AM.
One thing I still need to do is tear all the ugly default icons and sprites out....EA's dedication to making everything 2009-style skeuomorphic was respectable at the time but that style has aged so poorly that I don't know how I still put up with it. I wouldn't go so far as to call it fucking garbage, but it's been out of fashion for so long that it seems nothing but laughably dated. Skeuomorphism is the garbage result of garbage designers wanting to fully utilize the latest, garbage hardware which could produce increasingly realistic, garbage imagery. The shift from plain coloured rectangles in the early 80s to sprites and basic textures in the late 80s and mid-90s, to the supposed photorealism of the early internet era is a logical move, but one that's just plain bad in retrospect. Unfortunately it peaked in 2009, right when TS3 came out. It was then followed by a "material" phase inspired by the Memphis Design fad of the mid-80s, but fighting fire with fire didn't turn out to be very wise. We've kept sticking our hands in the Big Box of Things That Are Approximately 30 Years Old ever since and so far, it's been interesting and surprisingly tasteful.

Personally, I'm a big fan of UIs that vaguely look like an MTV logo even with the knowledge that it too will go out of fashion and probably be a bit cringeworthy. Nostalgia is the big cheeky thing right now and sometimes, it's even done well. I walked into a clothing store once where there was a giant LED screen directly behind the counter.....each pixel was like an inch apart and it was like staring into a thousand suns. Bad enough, but they were playing video with some stock VHS filter slapped on top of it.....the same one I use, only with all the extra features left on. Most people should not be entrusted with the power of VHS filters, it's a very bad idea. But the few of us who do generally get the jist of it, can probably be trusted to create things that won't age horribly. Probably.

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#99 Old 30th May 2019 at 9:10 PM Last edited by mixa97sr : 31st May 2019 at 2:33 PM.
I know this has been dead for quite some time but... I decided to start a flat clean white design of sims 3 UI and I finished main menu quickly (still have to add a drop shadow to that options button). I'm still not sure about dark blue text and icons so that might change, but after the most of the image resources have been finished. For now it's only main menu.

This is the 'start' button on click down:

Update:

Things to come
Top Secret Researcher
#100 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 1:32 AM
Update coming, live mode.

This is the most ambitious project I've taken upon myself. The easiest of the UI was the notification panel, followed by the pie menu and game menu which are all done, and after them it's the live mode which will be done soon... I don't know how long will this take, wasn't really easy, but now I have a general style for buttons and backgrounds so it might become faster. Here's some sneak peek into almost finished live mode:

Page 4 of 6