Replies: 8 (Who?), Viewed: 910 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 1:34 PM Last edited by kesanmits48 : 12th Nov 2020 at 10:42 AM.
Default Sims 4 question
I have played all versions of the sims, but i put off buying sims 4 for a long time until recently and now that I'm getting used to it, I just wanted clarification on one glaring difference between this game and all the others: is there really no goals and/or desires for sims anymore? I know there are lifetime goals and career goals, but there has always been like an in the moment few things your sim was desiring and you could do it and get points, with which you could buy cool stuff. Is that aspect of the game seriously gone or am I missing something? More to my real question and point, if this isn't part of the game anymore, what am I even doing? What am I working towards? I used to try to achieve as many of those as possible which kept my sims very busy. Now I just go to work and....yeah. just kind of wanted to see what others thought of this.
https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/ https://192168ll.link/
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 2:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesanmits48
I have played all versions of the sims, but i put off buying sims 4 for a long time until recently and now that I'm getting used to it, I just wanted clarification on one glaring difference between this game and all the others: is there really no goals and/or desires for sims anymore? I know there are lifetime goals and career goals, but there has always been like an in the moment few things your sim was desiring and you could do it and get points, with which you could buy cool stuff. Is that aspect of the game seriously gone or am I missing something? More to my real question and point, if this isn't part of the game anymore, what am I even doing? What am I working towards? I used to try to achieve as many of those as possible which kept my sims very busy. Now I just go to work and....yeah. just kind of wanted to see what others thought of this.

No, there are no 'goals'.  If you want them, you have to either make them happen (i.e- legacy challenge or some other type of challenge) or pretend like your sim or sims have some kind of purpose in life other than putting ear wax in salad, farting, and living as a hermit, because loading screens.

If you hang around long enough, you'll see a pattern. There are people that only build in TS4 because game play is terrible, People that only make sims because game play is terrible, then there are the story tellers and such, but they have to make a lot of things work either through words or mods because... game play is terrible and so the list goes on.  The people that play TS4 just to play TS4 are becoming more and more of a rare breed.

With 35 packs, one would think they wouldn't have to use their imagination so much, but nope. The elephant wearing the "Where's the game play?" hat is still sitting in the middle of the room, waiting to be addressed.  The most spontaneous part of TS4 is if you have the vampire pack; Vlad will show up and chew on your sim's neck which oddly enough, is something people complain about the most. 
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 2:58 PM
Everyone plays differently. Personally, I control over 400+ sims which yes is crazy and an invitation for disaster, but I enjoy the Authorial, distant, omniscient view where I'm sort of narrating and directing multiple lives and generations of one small town. Something like SimCity, but zoomed way in. And I can listen to podcasts or watch sci-fi re-runs while halfway playing.

If you want to live fabulously as just one Sim, the game does allow that, but there's also things like Second Life which are fun too.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 6:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesanmits48
but there has always been like an in the moment few things your sim was desiring and you could do it and get points, with which you could buy cool stuff.


That would be "whims". They are much smaller and more random than the counterpart from Sims3 for example, but they are there. Check your settings, you might have turned them off.

Other than that, no, Sims4 is really empty, like the others have said. You have to make a lot of things up your self.
Myself, I miss the skill achievements from Sims3, that there were goals other than just reaching the top level.

I use Sims 4 for building, I think the building mechanics in this game is far superior, but I soooo wish I could combine Sims4 building with Sims3 playing. That would be my ultimate Sims-game.
Scholar
#5 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 8:01 PM
To be precise, the whims are in Game Options under Gameplay and they turn them off by default. I was looking for them too because I kept seeing them be mentioned: but so far they've seemed like a pain to me. Many are even stupider than the wants in Sims 3, inappropriate or impossible or ridiculously petty, and often contrary to what I want to do. BUT try them yourself, because I can tell my play style is really different from yours (I want less goal oriented stuff pushed from the game, not more). I had to turn off all the Holidays, for example, because they just imposed more impossible goals on my already overworked sims. For you, they might be perfect! If you have Seasons, you can add more holidays, and set their activities, by clicking on the tiny calendar at the bottom left section of the screen. If you invite other sims to do things with you, you can turn every time you leave the house into a goaled event too. If you get Parenthood, there's some nice new interactions, and every single one of them is part of a point-harvbesting scheme for both children and parents. If you get Get Together, your opportunities for goaled interactions increase mightily.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 8:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eehna
That would be "whims". They are much smaller and more random than the counterpart from Sims3 for example, but they are there. Check your settings, you might have turned them off.

Other than that, no, Sims4 is really empty, like the others have said. You have to make a lot of things up your self.
Myself, I miss the skill achievements from Sims3, that there were goals other than just reaching the top level.

I use Sims 4 for building, I think the building mechanics in this game is far superior, but I soooo wish I could combine Sims4 building with Sims3 playing. That would be my ultimate Sims-game.

A lot of this depends on how a person plays, but I don't consider being told 'serve salad' or 'go on a date' or whatever to be goals. Sims in TS4 go from painting something that looks like a child drew it to Picasso level in a couple of sim hours which in turn makes the sim rich.  Sims learn skills just from talking about a subject versus actually having to do that thing, not to mention the lack of consequences for screwing something up.  There are no consequences because TS4 sims don't to do anything that would cause failure.  This is part of the whole bigger discussion of how / why TS4 lacks depth.

In my game ( TS3) I love the cooking career. Sure, sims can learn recipes from watching TV, but they have to actually cook things in order to move up in their career. They don't become a instant chef because they read a recipe online or from watching TV.  I've lost count of how many times I've made my sims eat burnt Mac & Cheese, but eventually, they do stop burning it.

People can call being pushed around by Maxis whatever they want. It is still Maxis injecting their nonsense into the game.  With the new update, sims can't even decline a marriage proposal. Really?  These are the same sims that laugh when one of their relatives dies, but they turn into total snowflakes when a marriage proposal is declined?  Wow...go team Maxis.  It's rainbows and unicorn farts all.the.time in TS4. 
Forum Resident
#7 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 9:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyablue
Everyone plays differently. Personally, I control over 400+ sims which yes is crazy and an invitation for disaster, but I enjoy the Authorial, distant, omniscient view where I'm sort of narrating and directing multiple lives and generations of one small town. Something like SimCity, but zoomed way in. And I can listen to podcasts or watch sci-fi re-runs while halfway playing.

If you want to live fabulously as just one Sim, the game does allow that, but there's also things like Second Life which are fun too.


I'm so glad someone plays the same way as I try to do. I've only got to about 250 Sims in one game and working up to that on others as I'm not sure if my laptop can manage more. I've always thought of it as trying to emulate SimCity4 in some way, controlling communities not just one Sim family and that was my all time favourite Sims game.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 9:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyablue
Everyone plays differently. Personally, I control over 400+ sims which yes is crazy and an invitation for disaster, but I enjoy the Authorial, distant, omniscient view where I'm sort of narrating and directing multiple lives and generations of one small town. Something like SimCity, but zoomed way in. And I can listen to podcasts or watch sci-fi re-runs while halfway playing.

If you want to live fabulously as just one Sim, the game does allow that, but there's also things like Second Life which are fun too.


Wait, they're all in your active family?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 4:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I don't consider being told 'serve salad' or 'go on a date' or whatever to be goals.


Nah, I don't consider them goals either, I just told TS about the whims system, because it was asked for in the original post.

I think the whims, and aspirations, are very dissatisfying, same with skills. It's just way too easy, and way too flat.
Back to top