Replies: 18 (Who?), Viewed: 993 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 10:24 PM
Default TS3 World Simulator
So I've been trying to make my world more and more realistic. I'm a global player, not really focused on any individual households. At first I used NRAAS SP to do population control, but it felt more like a forced "2 child policy" concept so I opted for something a little more realistic. The system I use now has fertility cycles and what not and my sims are set 3 days per year. So the outcome is massive population growth, I ended up culling elders and eventually doing mass migration of 20-30 sims off world.

I realized then that though the pregnancy control I'm using does taper off with age for females, but they can still be fertile in late adult stage. This forced me to pull the elder age down to 50 yrs old. However, still the population growth is outpacing the available living quarters. I even have to convert one apartment into a retirement home.

I was thinking that no matter how I try to modify the world, it will never be realistic and have a completely self-sustainable population growth. Then it hit me, perhaps it IS realistic. I mean, this is how a world would look like without famine, war, or disease. There's nothing to cull the population and it just keeps rapidly growing out of control. It's funny too, because there are couples that won't have kids, they just won't unless I force them. Then there are those which have 4-5 kids.

I'm wondering if any other global players here have different data?

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 10:47 PM
I don't have any data, but I do create / use castes with NRAAS story progression.  My example has nothing to do with pregnancy, but I've created castes for taxes for my game as a example.  Sims that make around $20,000 do not pay the same as a household that makes $90,000.00.  Any household that makes under $20,000.00 don't pay taxes at all.

Castes are time consuming to set up, but once they are set, a player is good to go.  If you don't want sims that would be elders having children, you could create a caste so that they can't.

Just a thought...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Castes are time consuming to set up, but once they are set, a player is good to go.  If you don't want sims that would be elders having children, you could create a caste so that they can't.

Just a thought...

Thanks, it might actually come down to that. I played around with the caste before, trying to make university professors in my homeworld, but that was about it.

But now I'm more inclined to find mods that will allow global disaster such as random murders, car accidents, or even a disease or something.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Nov 2020 at 1:59 AM
I am wondering if there's any NRAAS settings that allow non-active sims to die randomly anytime during their lifespan (increasingly chances the older the sim is)?

@igazor, maybe I'm mistaken, but I swear I saw I setting like this?

I would also say that playing around with castes to restrict pregnancy might be a good idea. I.e. maybe making the YA stage longer so it covers 18-40, and blocking pregnancy to the Adult and Elder stages (simulating the 40s onwards?)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 18th Nov 2020 at 2:54 AM
*looks around with no igazor on sight*

@jje1000
The settings are in SP > Gen Options > Options:Deaths

So contributing to this thread, I became a global player when I had one too many "Steady Visitor", "Stalker" and permanent Engaged Sim scenarios. One thing I noticed lately, when the town is "overpopulated" (no empty lots since creepy single stalker sims bought all the available houses in town), SP simply stopped making couples pregnant. So I stepped in and forced Sims to make love with each other, forced steady visitors to finally marry each other and manually marry perpetually Engaged Sims. And when immortal Elders begin marrying the grandchildren of their highschool classmates, I had a designated Sim kill them too.

I also believe that there's a setting in SP that prevents Adults that are near Elder stage to get pregnant (though that doesn't stop male sims to be a father). No need to adjust lifespans just for this purpose.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Nov 2020 at 11:02 PM
Isn't NRaas Vector the go to mod to unleash a lethal disease on your poor little simmies?

On another note. I think the population growth might be realistic if you think of sims acting like animals when it comes to propagation. If you think of them more human like than the decision to try for baby should be gated by more complex criteria. I'm just brainstorming here but these are just a few things that came to my mind:
- Do we have enough money?
- How is the couple relationship?
- I want to invest more in my career first (perhaps ambitious female sims should not consider children as young adults?)
- I'm just not made for this (some traits could exclude getting children, like dislikes children or commitment issues)
- when using a tax system perhaps families should pay more for each child to simulate the costs (the diapers, the growth spurts consuming clothes and shoes, oh the shoes!!, money for education...)
- of course ideally fertility should gradually decline with age, but I guess this is too.much detail

The insane trait or perhaps the hopeless romantic or rebellious or just a random zodiac could be used to create a rule-free caste that allows for more surprises (cause there are unplanned pregnancies or people trying for babies in broken relationships).

I never played globally and am not sure how much can be achieved with casts (and how complex they can get before the overhead gets to much for the game), but I'm interested if anything of this appeals to you
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 2:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyrrna
- Do we have enough money?
- How is the couple relationship?
- I want to invest more in my career first (perhaps ambitious female sims should not consider children as young adults?)
- I'm just not made for this (some traits could exclude getting children, like dislikes children or commitment issues)
- when using a tax system perhaps families should pay more for each child to simulate the costs (the diapers, the growth spurts consuming clothes and shoes, oh the shoes!!, money for education...)
- of course ideally fertility should gradually decline with age, but I guess this is too.much detail

I don't think the TS3 AI is that complex. So they're more like animals. lol then again, in reality, so are most people.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
#8 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 3:49 AM
Have you tried Zerbu's disaster mod in combination with the Vector mod? I played a post apocalyptic game combining those two and a lot of fire and death and zombies ensued. I think the settings can be adjusted, it's been a while.
It might get a bit stressful in your save though. I think the Vector mod with the Lethal add-on created more death in unplayed families.
http://zerbu.blogspot.com/2014/01/disasters.html
https://www.nraas.net/community/Vector
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 4:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310175
Have you tried Zerbu's disaster mod in combination with the Vector mod? I played a post apocalyptic game combining those two and a lot of fire and death and zombies ensued. I think the settings can be adjusted, it's been a while.
It might get a bit stressful in your save though. I think the Vector mod with the Lethal add-on created more death in unplayed families.
http://zerbu.blogspot.com/2014/01/disasters.html
https://www.nraas.net/community/Vector

Wow! Nice. Thanks! I think the vector mod looks promising. The zerbu one stated it doesn't really kill nonactives.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 8:06 PM
I block pregnancy for adults using SP.
Instructor
#11 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 10:47 PM
Zerbu's mod crashes my game before a save is loaded. It deleted it and it loads fine. I'm wondering what happened. Is the mod outdated or what?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 1:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
I realized then that though the pregnancy control I'm using does taper off with age for females, but they can still be fertile in late adult stage. This forced me to pull the elder age down to 50 yrs old. However, still the population growth is outpacing the available living quarters. I even have to convert one apartment into a retirement home.

Not sure If you're looking for solution, but how about building a skyscrapper (you can hide it in underground basement) -apartment, which the callbox, elevator and what not, and have Sims that are crowding their parent houses move into that building for convience sakes? I'm pretty sure this kind of buildings can host indefinite number of sims (in a barely populated test world, I remember discovering this through the callbox menu), though they probably have to be turned into townie/role/service/non-selectable Sims to be sble to house into them. For storytelling purpose, you can make up that they Live somewhere in the outskirts of town or have moved to another country/city but frequently visit their home town.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 7:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
how about building a skyscrapper (you can hide it in underground basement) -apartment, which the callbox, elevator and what not, and have Sims that are crowding their parent houses move into that building for convience sakes?

Did... did you just suggest I build an underground dungeon to house my overpopulated elders?

Logan's Run flashes through my mind.

Currently I'm actually relocating them off world to vacation places and letting the SP handle them. I know it sounds absolutely silly? But I just don't have the heart to cull them anymore. So I feel a lot better knowing they retired in some tropical Suvadiva world than being culled by the MC death machine.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 3:18 PM
Not elders. Young adults that have turned from teen. But it may be the effect of hidden room market and not necessarily of the penthouse shell. But alias this depends as I don't know whether or not you want to turn them into townies. Though I assume you don't play with these Sims from the impression I get.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#15 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 3:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
Zerbu's mod crashes my game before a save is loaded. It deleted it and it loads fine. I'm wondering what happened. Is the mod outdated or what?

It's pretty draining but it worked for me on 1.67. A new game, no or little CC and a small world may do the trick. I played it in Roseward.
https://thesimscatalog.com/sims3/do...edium/roseward/
Instructor
#16 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 6:05 PM
@310175 I haven't patched my game to the latest patch. I stick with 1.63. And I'm familiar with Roseward. It's a cool place to play. I created a short post-apocalyptic photostory back in 2014. It was supposed to be a horror/thriller, but turned out to be a comedy in the end.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 6:11 PM
Quote:
Not elders. Young adults that have turned from teen.

This is where I thought you were going with the basement suggestion. Then that leads to...
"But Mom/Dad, when I said I wanted to be a Repo Sim or run a cash register 23.5 hrs a day/7 days a week once I grew up, I wasn't being serious and besides I was 6 years old at the time!"

I think the potential flaw here might not be on performance, but storyline continuity. We may not wish to play entire successive generations actively, but many of us would at least like to see them progress through their lives in some fashion. Unfortunately, and with mod usage there could be exceptions, most Service/Role Sims aren't going to have an opportunity to do that because of their insane working or on duty hours. Although I suppose if the player worked at it, groups of sims could take turns rotating into and out of that kind of life over time. It's an interesting idea, at least for a starting point.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 9:12 PM
Quote:
But alias this depends as I don't know whether or not you want to turn them into townies. Though I assume you don't play with these Sims from the impression I get.

Oh nonono, quite the opposite. I'm running a virtual simulator, so I need the resident population to keep running. I'm not playing any stories or something like that, but I randomly switch households, sometimes 4-5 times per session. Which reminds me, anyone know of a random household choosing mod? Sometimes I don't know which household to choose.

So basically I need all my residents to live normally. When population is too high, I move all elderlies without small children to retire first in the retirement homes, granted their kids are grown and working. It gets a bit tedious because if they have a lot of money, I need to first merge them with one of their children to unload the cash and then put them in the homes. If their house is big enough with enough bedrooms for them to stay, then they can stay with their last grown kid.

Sometimes the population get too high, but I don't have enough elders, in which the retirement home is used as a single's apartment where I put single young adult sims who just aged from teens. Single elderlies, I try to hook them up with any other single elderlies, else they can stay with one of their kids, provided there is room. In rare occasions they can marry younger sims if there's an unbalanced gender in the world.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
#19 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 10:19 PM Last edited by 310175 : 21st Nov 2020 at 11:01 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
@310175 I haven't patched my game to the latest patch. I stick with 1.63. And I'm familiar with Roseward. It's a cool place to play. I created a short post-apocalyptic photostory back in 2014. It was supposed to be a horror/thriller, but turned out to be a comedy in the end.

The 2.0 version of the mod seems to have come out in late January 2014 and from what I see, 1.67 came out in early January. So, maybe it's not compatible with 1.63. I can't find any info on compatibility on the website.