Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#9376 Old 15th May 2022 at 4:05 PM
It will but there are a few steps.

First run it in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

Then in properties select "Disable full screen optimizations"

Finally launch the game using the .EXE file in the game's install folder(You can create a shortcut to this in your games folder to make it easier)and not the game launcher, short cut, or anything to do with Origin or the EA and it should run perfectly fine.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#9377 Old 15th May 2022 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EvilMcNastySim2015

Finally launch the game using the .EXE file in the game's install folder(You can create a shortcut to this in your games folder to make it easier)and not the game launcher, short cut, or anything to do with Origin or the EA and it should run perfectly fine.

What, really? I'm playing Sims 3 through Origin on my Windows 10 PC without doing anything extra and I've never had any issues.
Instructor
#9378 Old 15th May 2022 at 7:59 PM
Good for you, I never got it to work right without doing these steps, if it works for him that is good but if not then if he follows my steps he should be fine.

In 2020 I was forced to build a new PC using Windows 10 and I was never able to get the game to work with it until a couple of months ago, I only just got back into the Sims 3 using the steps I outlined.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Lab Assistant
#9379 Old 15th May 2022 at 8:18 PM

How do I run it in windows 8 compatibility mode?
Instructor
#9380 Old 15th May 2022 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candyboot
How do I run it in windows 8 compatibility mode?

Right click the icon and go to the compatibility tab and it should be listed as an option to run the game there.

My PC specs.
Instructor
#9381 Old 16th May 2022 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Does anyone know what the Hoi Polloi Event Center in Starlight Shores is based on?

Most of the Starlight Shores rabbitholes have a clear real-life Los Angeles inspiration, but I can't seem to put my finger on this one.

as someone who has played Starlight Shores too many times, there's no clear reference to Hoi Polloi Event Center. I think Maxis did it only to make the town more urban since according to Brandon Woods bio, he despises the urbanisation of the town. You could replace it with The Ultimate Venue if you wish for more Hollywood style.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Mad Poster
#9382 Old 18th May 2022 at 8:04 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 20th May 2022 at 2:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
as someone who has played Starlight Shores too many times, there's no clear reference to Hoi Polloi Event Center. I think Maxis did it only to make the town more urban since according to Brandon Woods bio, he despises the urbanisation of the town. You could replace it with The Ultimate Venue if you wish for more Hollywood style.

As far as I know, I think the Hoi Polloi Event Center is roughly based on the Microsoft Center, though it doesn't have the clear references as the Binder Clips Center has with the Staples Center.

On the other hand, I can't seem to find any references to the Art Gallery, as it's quite different from any LA-area art museums. Ironically though, the library itself seems to be the building that references LACMA.

These were the concepts for them:

https://simscommunity.info/2014/03/...mothy-anderson/
Scholar
#9383 Old 20th May 2022 at 11:18 PM
Do children build relationships with each other while playing with blocks or at the dollhouse? Also I noticed when one of the toddlers was playing dolls she got a skill bar over her head. What was she learning?

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Lab Assistant
#9384 Old 23rd May 2022 at 5:19 PM
When looking for a computer for the sims 3, what should I be looking for? What sort of graphic card etc.
Instructor
#9385 Old 23rd May 2022 at 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candyboot
When looking for a computer for the sims 3, what should I be looking for? What sort of graphic card etc.

Pretty much any computer made in the past ten years should do it. I am able to run the game fine on my cheepo $250 Laptop with the integrated graphics of the Ryzen 3 chip as long as I turn down the graphics.

Also, I was able to run it back in the day on the computer specs that you see in my sig, that was my really old computer of course I built a new one based around the Ryzen 5 and RTX 2060 Super and that runs the game silky smooth at max settings even when I am capturing gameplay with OBS.

One thing I would recommend is if you are building a new PC built it with an M.2 drive big enough to install your OS and the full game and all of its expansion packs on to it, load times are massively improved on all hardware with that vs a HDD or SSD, I have tried it on all three and most times it only takes about 30 seconds to load a game from the M.2 drive vs. about ten minutes on a HDD and around three to four minutes on an SSD.

Hope this helps.

My PC specs.
Inventor
#9386 Old 2nd Jun 2022 at 1:16 PM
What is the purpose of the dance floor object? Like I know sims can dance on it, but they also can dance without it, so like what is the difference?
Forum Resident
#9387 Old 2nd Jun 2022 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chokolady
What is the purpose of the dance floor object? Like I know sims can dance on it, but they also can dance without it, so like what is the difference?

The one in clubs and such? Probably mostly just to be able to learn the hidden club dancing skill tbh besides the fun factor, since I think that was the only way to when LN released. Dunno if that changed with the Skylight Venue at the store since I've never really used it.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#9388 Old 4th Jun 2022 at 6:59 PM
Having bought a purely digital copy of the game through Steam, I don't have the manuals that I assume came with each EP and SP, and I'd like to be able to read through them as I'm gradually figuring out the different gameplay options available! Is there anywhere I can find digital copies of the manuals that are usually tucked inside disc cases?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Forum Resident
#9389 Old 4th Jun 2022 at 8:40 PM
EA started with manuals for TS3 and then stopped because they said something along the lines of being more eco-friendly and using less trees to make paper. All EP's after Late Night does not have a manual. All SP's after Fast Lane Stuff do not have a manual. Source for the latter? My physical disc copies of TS3 EP's/SP's.

The Sims 3 EP's Manuals: https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/download/

=======

On a different note, I guess the reason for having dance floors would be for players that want to be specific on where the Sims should dance. Although yes, they don't always dance on the dance floor but if there is one and enough space they usually will use that designated area. Also, Sims can learn to club dance with or without dance floors. They just need to dance.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Instructor
#9390 Old 9th Jun 2022 at 1:39 AM Last edited by PlyPlay665 : 9th Jun 2022 at 2:54 AM.
Is the Get to Know broken? I have been having my Sims do "Get to Know" over and over again and they haven't learned any traits. The only traits my Sims tend to learn are "Family Oriented" when learning about a partner, or "Ambitious" when learning about a career. I just tested it over the course of ~4 Sim hours just going back and forth with "Get to Know" and other interactions and did not learn a single thing. I even installed this mod with the higher chance option and it did not do anything.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#9391 Old 9th Jun 2022 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PlyPlay665
Is the Get to Know broken? I have been having my Sims do "Get to Know" over and over again and they haven't learned any traits. The only traits my Sims tend to learn are "Family Oriented" when learning about a partner, or "Ambitious" when learning about a career. I just tested it over the course of ~4 Sim hours just going back and forth with "Get to Know" and other interactions and did not learn a single thing. I even installed this mod with the higher chance option and it did not do anything.

The Get to Know interaction is indeed broken for non-charismatic sims. However, simbouquet's mod should fix it - maybe for some reason it's not loading properly in your game? I haven't actually had a chance to try it in my game yet, but I think it should work...
Maybe try editing the XML to make it a 100% chance for charismatic and non charismatic sims and retrying. And see if it works for charismatic sims (which it should even with EA's default behaviour). If both don't work, maybe there's another issue going on?
Instructor
#9392 Old 10th Jun 2022 at 6:33 AM
Thank you so SO much. I have been playing with this broken feature for years. Thanks to your comment I tried to look at how to change the XML of that mod to make it 100% (Which was an absolute fail even though I have SimPE3... there was no reference to 35 or charismatic in the code so I don't know how you would edit it??) but from re-reading the mod, I learned that the "higher chance of learning traits" download was not a replacement for the "Get to Know Fix" mod. So once I downloaded that, everything went back to the way it should be. I am beyond happy!!

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Instructor
#9393 Old 14th Jun 2022 at 12:07 AM
Is being a firefighter completely broken?

I am trying to play as a firefighter and it is the single most broken thing I have ever seen in a game.

When there is a fire if it is outside the house my sim can put it out but if it is inside the house the game stops him from going in unless he is invited in, even if he breaks the door down with an ax, it still only gives him the option to wait to be invited inside but the panicking NPCs never let him in. I have stood there for 24 hours and the fire just will not end and my sim can't do anything about it and the game will not let him leave the lot.

Is there a fan made patch anywhere that fixes this, because as far as I can tell it is broken because of the way the game treats it when your sim goes onto another sim's lot.

My PC specs.
Mad Poster
#9394 Old 14th Jun 2022 at 2:19 PM

It was years ago when I played a firefighter but my Sim had no problems and made it all the way to chief I think she was and even had a fire truck in the driveway. Google as this has been discussed a lot already

https://www.google.com/search?q=sim...chrome&ie=UTF-8
Instructor
#9395 Old 14th Jun 2022 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
It was years ago when I played a firefighter but my Sim had no problems and made it all the way to chief I think she was and even had a fire truck in the driveway. Google as this has been discussed a lot already

https://www.google.com/search?q=sim...chrome&ie=UTF-8

I play firefighters occasionally and in various neighborhoods, mostly custom ones, and never had this problem either. So to me this doesn't sound as an EA-problem (which means, probably no EA-fix mod exists), the next possibility is a mod-conflict. Maybe those who struggle with this bug have the same mod installed that conflicts with firefighter lot-routing...
Instructor
#9396 Old 14th Jun 2022 at 5:44 PM

I am trying to play as a firefighter and it is the single most broken thing I have ever seen in a game.

When there is a fire if it is outside the house my sim can put it out but if it is inside the house the game stops him from going in unless he is invited in, even if he breaks the door down with an ax, it still only gives him the option to wait to be invited inside but the panicking NPCs never let him in. I have stood there for 24 hours and the fire just will not end and my sim can't do anything about it and the game will not let him leave the lot.

Is there a fan made patch anywhere that fixes this, because as far as I can tell it is broken because of the way the game treats it when your sim goes onto another sim's lot.

There is Gameplay Core Mod by Simler90. From the description it fixes firefighter career, don't know if it will do your problem.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Instructor
#9397 Old 14th Jun 2022 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
There is Gameplay Core Mod by Simler90. From the description it fixes firefighter career, don't know if it will do your problem.

Okay, thanks a bunch.

My PC specs.
Inventor
#9398 Old 20th Jun 2022 at 11:13 AM
What's the most recent mod that lets your Sims do free plastic surgery anywhere, just like in TS2?
Instructor
#9399 Old 22nd Jun 2022 at 12:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Softlism
What's the most recent mod that lets your Sims do free plastic surgery anywhere, just like in TS2?

I'm not sure if there's any modder out there re-creating The Sims 2 Dr. Vu Automated Cosmetic Surgeon to The Sims 3 as sims can only do facial and body reconstruction in hospital rabbit hole.

Lab Assistant
#9400 Old 23rd Jun 2022 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Softlism

2 ways I know of, the easiest/non-modded way is enable testing cheats, shift click sim then select edit in cas. Downside is that this will reset the sims age span back to the beginning of their current life stage.

The way I do it is with Nrass Master controller. You just Click your sim, select Master Controller>Advanced>Edit Sim in Cas.

In Stuffed Crust, We Do Trust.
Page 376 of 385