Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#201 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 8:59 AM
Sorry Phae. Maybe Rayea and I could work something out via PM? I was starting to think we were getting off topic, so that would have been my next suggestion.

- VT

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#202 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 9:55 PM
actualy, that WAS why i used a PM :P

however, back on topic. i just got half my university buildings built.
seems Vault-Tech went an financed a university, all sensible like...beccasue they need smart young minds...but they built it on..an ISLAND XD so when the Event hits, its going to wash all those surfers and hippies into the square....now, where did i put those bodies from Kativip?

not to worry though, both the island and the mainland are connected with a nice sturdy monrail. it will withstand the Event reasonably intact becasue of the rock formation the lighthouse is built on. my founder can walk back to the mainland via the track and stop to rest in the broken monocars.main part of the island may be battered badly (im going to strew a LOT of seaweed about the place on com lots) and there WILL be power outages becasue someone will have to go replace the wind turbines bent blades...
but the main housing of the secret society (Enclave recrutement, i named the building befor it vanished, leaving a dent in the smaller of the two islands) and home made dorms should be reasonably intact.
i plan to use Numenors invisible walls (and the prison variant) to make tent style dorms and housing using the fallout vegas Legion stuff from Ghani.mostly for the large Ceasers tent one, but i can also use it with a aircraft cammo tent i have that was extracted from castaways (i think Ghani did that too hehe)

once i am done, i will take a pic of the island BEFOR the event (and befor my founder goes to uni) and pop it in here via edit
Lab Assistant
#203 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 11:41 PM
Well, time for another Argh! moment. This one is minor, and in no way involves the Mod set. My Heir grew up and has been aging Marsha Brunig up along with him. I love the grow friends up feature of Freetime, but it often doesn't handle children correctly, and that's what happened here. They married, and Marsha still had Grow Up as her aspiration as an adult. Argh! The good news is I got to choose an aspiration for her, I chose Family, and she rolled a child want to match the wants of her husband and in-laws. The bad news is she never had any teen or adult wants for romance, engagement or marriage, so started off slightly in the red. Could have been worse, she could have gotten Romance or Pleasure.
Test Subject
#204 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 10:02 PM Last edited by Blewbachu : 26th Oct 2011 at 12:56 AM.
Hey, Phaeno! I'm playing the Apocalypse Challenge on YouTube. my username is cmbheadquarters If you wanna check it out.

Also, does the Zombie Mod make zombie neighbors walk onto your lot?

AND.... by 'get a job via notice board at level 1' do you mean level 1 as in the restrictions block or level 1 by career levels.... cause my graduated sim starts all careers at atleast level 2.
Lab Assistant
#205 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blewbachu
... does the Zombie Mod make zombie neighbors walk onto your lot?

AND.... by 'get a job via notice board at level 1' do you mean level 1 as in the restrictions block or level 1 by career levels.... cause my graduated sim starts all careers at atleast level 2.

Zombies may attack while in walk-by mode or, if you are good friends or relations with them, when acting as drop-ins. They follow the same rules as always about showing up on your lot. The most common place to encounter them is Community Lots.

The Jobs Notice Board gives the level your Sim qualifies for. I cheated them down to One with either TwoJeff's Sim Blender or Pescado's Batbox. If you enable Testing Cheats you can do the same thing on the Newspaper via Shift-click.
Test Subject
#206 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 7:30 AM
That would be cheating, and been as I struggled to get summa cum laude, I may as well take extra long getting the skills to get the promotion to make up for time getting to rank 4.
Plus you can't get a newspaper, remember?
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#207 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 5:03 PM
You need to start your founder at job level 1. The time spent in Uni is best spent skilling (as it is hard to do after the Event happens) and making friends (another hard thing to do post Event). While you will be down at lowly level 1, you should already have the skills and friends needed to quickly get promoted.
Test Subject
#208 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 7:08 PM
But I can't, I can't boolprop the newspaper, nor can i get any job in restriction 1 below level 3....
Lab Assistant
#209 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blewbachu
But I can't, I can't boolprop the newspaper, nor can i get any job in restriction 1 below level 3....

So go to MATY and get the ffsdebugger (aka Batbox) or Simbology and get the Sim Blender.
Scholar
#210 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 12:20 PM
I did a brief read of the orginal thread for the zombie apox (meaning I read about a paragraph ) my question is...on the orginal (sry forgot gent's name who started ~ assuming it was a 'gent' lol) it stated that it was needed for the apox to start in a heavily populated 'hood, is that still true with this variation? I'm revved to have a go at this (been watching too much "Walking Dead") but I have a tendency of cherishing my established generations, don't often get too bored with them...awesome idea for all this!! Cannot believe the amount of effort you have put into it Phaenoh!!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#211 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 4:36 PM
Unless you've got a hood that you are dying to nuke and zombify, I suggest you start with a new and blank hood with only your founder and some 'starter' zombies. This challenge also tasks you with rebuilding the hood, so your community lots will come along in time. Your family can even start spreading out after you've lifted Law, so at the end of the challenge you should have a nice well balanced, well populated grown up hood.

The 'gent' was Pinstar, and he is a he. Good luck with it! Let us all know how it is going. This thread is supposed to be for questions about my challenge and for progress reports from the people playing it. We all love pictures!
Test Subject
#212 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 6:37 PM
Default Very Interesting!
Okay, after reading this entire thread (or novel) I have a question. I use a bunch of hacks, inteen and ACR are a couple of the big ones. Do these mesh well with this challenge or should I ditch them? What hacks are okay to use, ones that won't interfere with the Apocalypse hacks?
Field Researcher
#213 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 9:28 PM
well, i think what most of us do is have a seperate folder of custom conetent and hacks, designed JUST for use when playing the apocalypse.
i know i sure do *looks over at the OMG ZOMBIES folder on her desktop*

that way, all you have to do is remember to swap your normal Downloads folder for the one in your zombies folder and back again when you want your normal game... just also whipe that little anoying bugger (Groups.cache) befor you play, casue i know i sure do ^^
(stops your game from getting all paniced becasue your CC list dosent match, and not even starting the game for you)
Test Subject
#214 Old 16th Nov 2011 at 5:37 AM
Wow! I reread everything again and noticed a few things I didn't see or read well enough the first time - winter, winter, winter and winter until the 3rd tier!

I started with Mid-Uni. Rob Cooper is currently getting ready to take his sophomore final. I'm hoping he doesn't roll those double 6's just yet. His lifetime want is to become chief of staff, so I guess he'll be going into medicine. I set Uni to fall as the first season and he did nothing except skill and make friends and find his future wife. I'm hoping those red hearts stay around for a while. I had him work on body skill first, as that seems to be the most difficult thing back in the main neighborhood. He is currently platinum and on the Deans List. He might as well enjoy that platinum mood because once he hits the neighborhood he's probably going to tank. Oh and he's a knowledge sim.

I downloaded a bunch of the lots in this thread and have my new apoco downloads folder put together. I'm going to swap it out before he leaves college town. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing his adult clothes - *sarcasm* the game really puts together some really nice outfits sometimes. His college look was straight up Maxis stuff. I didn't want his hair to change.

We'll see what tomorrow brings:0)

Edit: I have a question. I downloaded JM's zombie hack thing, but what is the ARC thing that is mentioned on the first page of this thread?
Scholar
#215 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rayea
just have to tell you guys about a place i just found. i allready have some of the creators work from GoS but her older site has some absolutely AwesomeSauce items on it, and links to some real gems hit the see all button to get links to stuff at GoS too her name is Ja and she has a totaly awesom looking desert replacement that is fallout extracted terrain, and road covers that have cracked asphalt and extraced fallout3 hood deco, cardboard box babyroom gear...oooh i love the stuff even if i cant use it atm

Rayea, tried this link (actually have tried every link you've posted LOL good call!!) but I can't seem to find the desert replacement dl that you mentioned...could be I'm over-tired (been at this for approx 6 hrs hahaha) but pls would you mind giving 'direction' (ie~ turn left onto Broadway & Parkplace is just up the street) thanks
Field Researcher
#216 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 9:24 PM
not to worry
it was quite a way down, after all the garden of shadows stuff.
this is the page, you want the desert version, if you want the desert terrains to look like the ones i have

http://javiera.dreamwidth.org/13874.html

dont forget to get the road overlays for your roads. you have to moveObjects on them to place over your roads, but it makes the actual lots look as much like the neighbourhood view as possable
Test Subject
#217 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 9:43 PM
The Zombies are taking over! I used boolprop to create townies and then created 1 zombie. I have 11 now, including the one I created. My founder started out in the medical field and he is now a resident...and that is level 5 I think. I've stopped taking him to the Red Cross/Field hospital/clinic...whatever you want to call it, because every time he visits several zombies visit and one or two new zombies are created each time and somehow I think those hacked guns aren't legal to use in this challenge...maybe after military and police have been lifted? I don't know...
retired moderator
Original Poster
#218 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 10:14 PM
Man, I *totally* have an AK-47 in my founders compound. He has to protect his family doesn't he? Also, zombies are supposed to take over! Somewhere during level 2 or 3 you should take out Pescado's zombie mod so your community can start healing.

Might I suggest this mod to help you keep track of where you are in each career?
Test Subject
#219 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
Man, I *totally* have an AK-47 in my founders compound. He has to protect his family doesn't he? Also, zombies are supposed to take over! Somewhere during level 2 or 3 you should take out Pescado's zombie mod so your community can start healing.

Might I suggest this mod to help you keep track of where you are in each career?

I guess if you have and AK-47 then I'll go get myself one too. And thanks for the job board - that will be very helpful.
Scholar
#220 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rayea
not to worry
it was quite a way down, after all the garden of shadows stuff.
this is the page, you want the desert version, if you want the desert terrains to look like the ones i have

http://javiera.dreamwidth.org/13874.html

dont forget to get the road overlays for your roads. you have to moveObjects on them to place over your roads, but it makes the actual lots look as much like the neighbourhood view as possable

thank you bunches Rayea!! *runs off to start building*....soooo cool heehee
Test Subject
#221 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 4:24 PM
Does the Apocalypse mods change how often promotions happen?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#222 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 5:39 PM
No, they do not. It does change whether you can hit 'Ignore' on chance cards, and it will fire you if you miss a single day, but promotions are still based only on job performance. Its much more miserable to live in the apocalypse, so that might be why promotions don't come up as often.
Test Subject
#223 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 6:37 PM Last edited by juliejaz : 18th Nov 2011 at 8:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
No, they do not. It does change whether you can hit 'Ignore' on chance cards, and it will fire you if you miss a single day, but promotions are still based only on job performance. Its much more miserable to live in the apocalypse, so that might be why promotions don't come up as often.

Okay, he's got 10 days until he's an elder and he's at level 9. He stalled at levels 5 and 8 for what seemed like forever, but then just a few minutes ago zipped right to 9. My Sims life spans are different than the regular game sets us up for. My adult is 44 days.

I also got a bad chance card and he lost 5 grand and will not have enough for his bills on Monday. I'm wondering what the repo guy will take...

Edit: It worked itself out. He got the promotion he needed and lifted medical, his paycheck was enough to pay the bills and 65 bucks left over.
Test Subject
#224 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 3:31 AM
The school bus keeps showing up each morning, but kids aren't allowed to go to school. Will the social worker show up if the kids don't attend school?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#225 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 4:07 AM
I'm surprised the school bus is showing up, but no, the social worker shouldn't come and get them. What EPs do you have? You are using my entire mod set, yes?
Page 9 of 43