Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2010 at 10:07 PM
Default "Edit in Game" question
After messing about with CAW to get to know it I have finally started making my own neighbourhood. I just have a couple of questions about the "Edit in Game" option.

During the messing about I added a rabbit hole building and some decorations, after saving and returning to CAW I could see the decorations but not the rabbit hole building. Is this normal?

At the moment I'm busy placing community lots, after placing two or three of those I go into Edit in Game and name the lots according to what building/rabbit hole I want to build on it. Is it possible to only place empty lots like this and after importing the map into the game place all the rabbit holes, community buildings and build the residential lots?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 1:56 AM
The rabbit hole buildings from Riverview don't show up in CAW, but they're there in-game.

And yes, you can do all the building after you've exported the world, if you don't think you'll decide to change anything about the terrain while you're building. Just be aware that once you've exported the world from CAW, you can't re-import it... so you need to make sure you're done with that phase.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 7:41 AM
I have a question about the "Edit in Game" as well.

I was going to ask if there is any way to turn down the graphical setting for "Edit in Game"? but I just tried the smallest world size and it won't even load. I think I may have broke something. If there is a way to turn down the settings I would like to know anyway. Thanks.
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 11:55 AM
Well, Edit In Game just runs Sims 3 from inside CAW, basically, so I assume it uses the graphic settings you have in your base game.

Is your computer marginal on the specs for Sims 3? Otherwise, if it doesn't load at all, maybe it's a problem with your world file.
Theorist
#5 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 7:56 PM
Quote:
I was going to ask if there is any way to turn down the graphical setting for "Edit in Game"? but I just tried the smallest world size and it won't even load.

How long are you giving it to load? At the very least it's going to take a minute-and-a-half. At most, it can take hours.

There is something you might be able to do to help, though. First off, remove all of your custom content that is in .package format. Then if you have store content or content that is installed via Sims3Packs you need to remove the folder called DCCache (it's in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3). You can just pull that out to your desktop for safe keeping. When you are finished with your world, delete the new DCCache folder that was created and put yours back in.

Oh, I almost forgot! If you are building in EIG mode, you're going to eventually run into some serious lag. A lot of people are exporting their world with everything but lots built, open it in game and do the building, then place the buildings in their lot bin and import them into EIG and place them then export the finished version of their world.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 8:56 PM
It must have been CC and DCCache files, soon as I removed them my world opened in less then a minute. Thanks. (I dont plan on building all the lots in EIG mode but I'm a horrible at getting lots the are the right size so it helps to be able to go in and build to see if stuff fits.) Thanks so much.
Theorist
#7 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 9:33 PM
That's pretty much what I'm using EIG for as well. Just being able to poke a lot in, even temporarily, in C-A-W is helpful, but sometimes something just needs to be seen in game view to get the right perspective on it.