Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#126 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lemoncandy
And where can I look up what the number corresponds to?

It is named "glass".

Most of these can be found in the _KEY file. But when you search, you have to reverse the byte order, like DF 90 07 92.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#127 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 11:07 PM
Thank you both for the replies.
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Have you tried using the car glass instead of the glass for objects? It already has a sort of smoky grey color and maybe would take a brown color without being too pastel?

OM

Yes, actually the name of that glass material is the same as what I had in my clone as default (it's the sunflower vase).
The 'smoky gray' is a result of full black RGB values I think.

Quote:
Most of these can be found in the _KEY file.

You mean the _KEY part of the fullbuild...something file? Or where?
Alchemist
#128 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 11:26 PM
Yes, that one, from FullBuild0. Hashes are not easily reversed, so having that file in the game data is a big help.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Forum Resident
#129 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 11:36 PM
Ahh okay, thank you I'll leave that alone then. S3PE crashes if I open such big files
Test Subject
#130 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 1:02 AM
Default Assigned the bones
Sorry, I don't speak english usually (I'm belgian) but I don't know what does mean :

Quote:
Important caveat: You must assign bones to any object that you plan to apply the glass texture to.

and so I have invisible object !

Could you give me a link easy to read or a simple explanation to help me succeed ? What is "assign bones" ? How can I do this ?

Thanks a lot and congratulations for your tutorials ! There're all great and useful !
Alchemist
Original Poster
#131 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 2:13 AM
In the Joints tab, click SelUnassigned, then Assign. This should assign the bones to your object.

Hopefully this helps you.

OM
Test Subject
#132 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 9:08 AM
Thank you ! I'll try immediately !

As somebody try to have colored vase ! I've tried but I also have glassed flowers

It's no really the purpose

Perhaps not making changes to all blocks under MTST line ?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#133 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 12:12 PM
If you want a glass vase with flowers that are not glass you have to pick an object that has more than one group besides the shadow group.

If an object has only one group (or one group + shadow group) it can have only one material for the entire group even if it has more than one recolorable section.

If this reply is not answering the question you're asking could you post a picture of what is happening to your object?

OM
Test Subject
#134 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 5:08 PM
Thanks ! The answer was exactly ok ! I've taken SunFlowerVase and these object as 3 MLOD files but just one group with 2 blocks in the first MLOD file.
What you say seems correct in this case ! I won't have colored vase with sunny flowers in !

Thanks !
Test Subject
#135 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 8:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
In the Joints tab, click SelUnassigned, then Assign. This should assign the bones to your object.

Hopefully this helps you.

OM

I'v tried since your answer but, just want a precision. To assign bones and have the joints tab, you pass the object in Milkshape 3D I suppose (That's what I've made) but before changing MODL and MLOD files or after ?

Sorry I'm a newbie in this kind of manipulation. I'm just learning what's 3D is and how using it.

Thanks a lot for your kindness !
Khany
Alchemist
Original Poster
#136 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 9:36 AM
The correct time to use Milkshape to assign joints is before you save your new object in place of the EA object.

If this answer is not sufficient do not hesitate to ask more questions.

OM
Test Subject
#137 Old 28th Nov 2009 at 3:19 PM
Hi Jill ! those shoes are so wonderful are they available for download? because i want them!!!
#138 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 6:26 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 26th Mar 2010 at 9:23 PM.
Default Tutorial Comments
orangemittens, there is an error in step seven of your instructions for adding NotePad to the SendTo menu. Your way works, but it copies the entire NotePad EXECUTABLE into the menu, when what you really want there is a SHORTCUT, which is much smaller than the executable and works fine for this purpose, so copying the entire program there is a waste of disk space. The last step should therefore be "Paste Shortcut" instead of "Paste".

I`d also like to suggest an easier way to send stuff to the Send To menu, especially as I don`t have the Send To *BUTTON* you mention either. Actually, this is a trick that I invented in Windoze 98 [or mebbe 95], though I certainly don`t claim to be the *only* person to have invented it.

Navigate to your SendTo menu`s FOLDER, and choose the Explorer view, where you have the directory tree in place of the information panel at the left of the window. With the SendTo folder visible in the tree view and the contents of the SendTo folder visible in the main panel, right-drag the SendTo folder from the directory tree into the contents view, and choose Create Shortcuts Here from the resulting pop-up menu. From now on, adding things to the SendTo menu is as easy as right-clicking on something and selecting Send To/SendTo, which will automaticaly create shortcuts for executables, instead of copying the entire program file.

Feel free to edit your tutorial to include this method. Credit would be nice, but I won`t insist.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Alchemist
Original Poster
#139 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 8:54 PM
Thanks for your comment, but...er...I'm not sure what you're talking about. The method in the tutorial copies a shortcut to Notepad to your send-to folder. The executable for Notepad is located at C:\Windows\system32. The tutorial doesn't instruct people to copy that executable. If you look at the picture of step 7 I provided in the tutorial you can clearly see what is being copied is a shortcut not the actual executable. Further, since the method I describe works there is, by definition, no error to the method.

Actually the easiest way of all is to just click on the mtlsrc that you want to open and, when it tells you it doesn't know how, choose the option to select a tool to open it with. The choices listed should include Notepad (it did for me anyhow) and it will open the mtlsrc with it if you pick that. If your computer is like mine, all you'll have to do from then on is click the mtlsrc and the computer will automatically remember you want to use Notepad and it will open it

Also, if you have any further comments or questions for me about the glass tutorial posting them in the tutorial thread is probably the best thing to do
Alchemist
Original Poster
#140 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 9:11 PM
In the tutorial you are copying a shortcut and then pasting that into the folder. You are *not* copying an executable and pasting an executable.

eta: Now that we've got our own cute little thread (lol) I'll add that the instructions I gave to Coco in the Glowing thread *were* copied out of the tutorial. There is no error to those instructions and they do not copy an executable into the Send-to folder. See HL's post below for further explanation if needed.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#141 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 9:17 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 26th Mar 2010 at 9:32 PM.
Wrong! GeneralOD

Look closely at the pictures...that is already the shortcut to Notepad. It is being copied from the Accessories folder not the Program Files/Windows/etc.. folder. Why would you paste a shortcut to a shortcut?

Please keep all discussion of what you may think are inaccuracies of that tutorial out of this help thread. Post it in the tutorial thread. If these posts disappear...well I figured out cut and paste. Split and Merge? Mastered! :D
Alchemist
Original Poster
#142 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 9:15 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 26th Mar 2010 at 9:39 PM.
Thanks HL...you stated it more clearly than I did.

Lol...very nice trick

Wow...it changed the View Count though...it made it equal to the number of posts in the thread.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#143 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 9:48 PM
Look GeneralOD, you made a mistake, you were corrected. It's time to move on so, IMO, you should leave off with the bold capitalized stuff indicating yelling as if you were some wronged party here.

If you post telling someone they made an error in instructions copied from a tutorial that's been sitting here at MTS for 6 months you need to be sure of what you're talking about before you post instead of posting wrong information that is just gonna confuse people. That would include actually looking at the tutorial since just seeing the instructions printed in a list was confusing to you.

The list of instructions you just quoted will work and it will copy a shortcut. The accessories file holds a shortcut. Your mistake was thinking it held the executable.
Inventor
#144 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 11:56 PM
Thanks for ye tutorial, Orangemittens. I finally succeeded in creating glass perfumes.
I however doth notte hast a Send To Folder, but with associating ye file extension with Notepad, I couldst alter ye files.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#145 Old 21st May 2011 at 11:15 AM
Thankyou, it's been very useful ^^
Test Subject
#146 Old 6th Jul 2011 at 9:20 PM
Is it possible to make glass for only segments of the object, or is it an all or nothing deal?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#147 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Improvman
Is it possible to make glass for only segments of the object, or is it an all or nothing deal?
Any material group that you change to glass will be entirely glass.

If the object has more than one material group the other group will not be affected. So, for example, if you have a mirror object, one group uses the mirror shader while the other uses the phong shader. You can change the mirror to glass and the mirror frame will not be altered in any way.
Page 6 of 6