Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 5:50 AM
Do Professions not work in Oasis Landing?
I decided to try this out as an experiment. I made my latest sim a Private Investigator and immediately sent her to the future, with the intention of playing the rest of the game there. However, even with all the rabbit holes placed into the world, it seems that this particular Profession does not work. Any time I send my sim to the Police HQ to "Obtain Investigator Case" my sim goes in, stays for a few minutes, and comes out. No case pops up. EVER.

I'm wondering if this might be related to the oppritunities system. I'm guessing that base game opps don't work in "vacation" worlds like Oasis Landing, and therefore no cases pop up.

I haven't tried the other Ambitions professions, so if anyone can confirm if these work or not, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 6:30 AM
Yeah, you need a mod in order for the non ITF careers to be included, in spite of the rabbit holes actually being there. Without it, there's no option to search for a profession on the computers, and the only two jobs that are available are the aforementioned ITF ones. Pretty fucking stupid, but that's EA.txt.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 6:41 AM
*sigh* i see. Oh well, give it time and I'm sure someone will fix this mess. I know Gurra fixed the rabbit hole careers, and all Self Employed jobs seem to be there, so it's only a matter of time...
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 9:09 AM
If you want to live permanently in oasis landing and have professions you can download oasis landing as a regular neighbourhood. I have it and have been playing it but I haven't tried having a profession. You can still travel to the future though.
Can't remember where I dowloaded it from off the top of my head but it would either be from this forum or over on the sims 3 itf forum.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 10:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dabih
If you want to live permanently in oasis landing and have professions you can download oasis landing as a regular neighbourhood. I have it and have been playing it but I haven't tried having a profession. You can still travel to the future though.
Can't remember where I dowloaded it from off the top of my head but it would either be from this forum or over on the sims 3 itf forum.

Just googled it and found Arcadia here: http://neko-sims.tumblr.com/post/64...anding-was-only

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fly666monkey
I decided to try this out as an experiment. I made my latest sim a Private Investigator and immediately sent her to the future, with the intention of playing the rest of the game there. However, even with all the rabbit holes placed into the world, it seems that this particular Profession does not work. Any time I send my sim to the Police HQ to "Obtain Investigator Case" my sim goes in, stays for a few minutes, and comes out. No case pops up. EVER.

I'm wondering if this might be related to the oppritunities system. I'm guessing that base game opps don't work in "vacation" worlds like Oasis Landing, and therefore no cases pop up.

I haven't tried the other Ambitions professions, so if anyone can confirm if these work or not, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I sent a family to OL and had them settle in, thinking I may want to keep them in OL for a time before sending them back to their home world. The dad is a PI, but all he could do when searching for investigator jobs on the computer was to hack databases for cash. I thought the problem may be that OL has no Police Station and was going to add that RH, but it seems you have already tried that and it doesn't work. Likewise, there are no schools in OL, so when my toddler aged up to child, he couldn't go to school (more's the pity!). The mom is in the Medical career, and several times when she was on a community lot an OL resident felt nauseous and called for a doctor. She was able to interact with the "patient" and help them. I think Ambitions allows a medical sim to interact with the public outside of the Hospital RH, although in these situations there was no opportunity popup giving her a specific opportunity like Ambitions does (for example, inoculating x number of sims in a specific timeframe). So perhaps since the Medical career is only what I'll call a "partial" Ambitions career, the "opportunity" presented itself in a different way, that is, as an interaction (of course, this could be giving EA way too much credit!).

I would venture to guess that Ambitions careers such as inventor, sculptor, tattoo artist, architect, stylist and possibly ghost hunter might work since I don't recall them as needing a particular RH (like the Fire Station or Police Station) to work, just their career-specific object like the Tattoo chair, inventor's workbench, etc., although I will admit I have not actually played any of these careers, so I don't know if they rely on opportunities to work or if they could pursue their careers without them.

Of course it would be much simpler if some of you fabulous modders would mod the Events and Opportunities to include the OL world. I know I've seen the files for the World Adventures worlds, but found I don't know enough to mod them to work in other worlds.