Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 4:52 PM
Default Fix gap w gender unlocked clothing?
Hello Simmers!

So I've recently been messing with trying to get all clothing available for all sims, male or female. Cause turns out Master Controller* has a setting to unlock all clothing for all sims! Which is cool! I want to use this because it would allow me to experiment with things that I currently cannot experiment with in real life because I'm not in a safe environment to do so

I played around with it a little and I unfortunately find that there's a huge gap near the neck if I have a male sims wearing female-meshed shirt, or a female sim wearing male-meshed shirts. I understand why, it makes sense, the mesh doesn't work like that and it was never meant to do this,so yeah. It also happens at the belly for male sims wearing female shirts and at the ankles.

But my question is, is there a way to fix this? I tried messing with sliders, and the gap just slides with the slider, no matter what I do. Theoretically it should be possible cause I've found sliders that fix a similar gap for adult clothing that's unlocked for teens.

I can already hear people say though, why not play Sims 4? It has the options I need! Well, I don't want to go into the details since it's not relevant, but I can't seem to play that game for more than 1 hr. It's just not the sims 3, which I love.

So in short, my question is: is there any way to fix those mesh issues I'm having at the neck (for shirts), the belly (for pants) and the ankles (pants as well)? I'd love to have gender neutral clothing in the sims 3. It'd allow me to experiment in a safe environment.

(Please keep all replies on the topic of if its possible and not "I don't want that" or "why would you want that, why not [x]")

Thanks!

*I tried this initially myself by changing the gender marker for clothing, but this is a much better option! I'm not asking for support with MC, just asking if its possible to fix the issue I had already encountered without MC as well
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 4:56 PM
I'd be surprised if this hasn't already been discussed at length. Getting pieces of clothing to fit on the opposite gender's body requires mesh edits in most (if not all) instances, and I'd be surprised if there's anything within the game itself that could alter it. Maybe a custom neck width slider could help to hide the gap? There's one already but it's not meant for genderswapping clothes.

It should be possible, practically speaking, to create a "femininity" slider for male clothes that controls the width of the base of the neck, the width of the shoulders, the curvature around the waist, and the curvature around the chest.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 5:04 PM
I tried to search on this site, but for some reason the search wouldn't allow me to search anything at all, it just gave me an error :c
From my findings on google (on other forums), I've mostly just found threads where people get hung up on the "why would you want that" and "I don't want my guy townies to wear dresses!" which is not helpful to say the least.

Would the same be possible w a masculinity slider for female sims? Cause I'd love to have both options.

Nice to know it's theoretically possible though!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
I'd be surprised if this hasn't already been discussed at length. Getting pieces of clothing to fit on the opposite gender's body requires mesh edits in most (if not all) instances, and I'd be surprised if there's anything within the game itself that could alter it. Maybe a custom neck width slider could help to hide the gap? There's one already but it's not meant for genderswapping clothes.

It should be possible, practically speaking, to create a "femininity" slider for male clothes that controls the width of the base of the neck, the width of the shoulders, the curvature around the waist, and the curvature around the chest.

Only problem with that method is that the sliders would stay for all outfits so if you were to mix and match male and female clothing in your outfit choices, your male and nude outfits would look awkward. The best bet is to edit the mesh to fit into the male body shape.

Funny thing is that I was just this morning looking heavily through the internet for female to male conversion for a transgender sim of mine and I only found the few pieces on this site that I already had. I really want the master suite stuff underwear and pajamas for males. There is also some cool goth stuff from the store and midnight hollow that would look great on males.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 7:26 PM Last edited by c4tbun3 : 11th Jul 2019 at 8:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Only problem with that method is that the sliders would stay for all outfits so if you were to mix and match male and female clothing in your outfit choices, your male and nude outfits would look awkward. The best bet is to edit the mesh to fit into the male body shape.

Funny thing is that I was just this morning looking heavily through the internet for female to male conversion for a transgender sim of mine and I only found the few pieces on this site that I already had. I really want the master suite stuff underwear and pajamas for males. There is also some cool goth stuff from the store and midnight hollow that would look great on males.

This is a good point, that I had not considered yet. hmm. Would accessories be a way to fix it somehow? Since you can just remove those for different categories and even on a per outfit basis when needed?
You'd need a neck accessory, something for the abdomen so you can truly mix and match different gender shirts/pants and an ankle accesory since there's a weird seam there too.

I'd love something like the working binder that people made for the sims 4! But I'm not sure if that would work.

Edit: the reason I want to be able to use that gender filter disabler is because I prefer maxis match stuff in my game, and also because looking for enough cc for the sims 3 for this specific thing is going to be chore. I'd rather just be able to use everything I already have if that makes sense
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee

The TS4 gender update was such a blessing for me because quite a few of my females wear masculine outfits. Those are hard to come by in every Sims game and the only reason I'm satisfied with what I have in TS3 is because I've managed to piece together a decent collection from CC and my own mesh edits. It also helps that I've adopted a somewhat more flamboyant style where skirts and dresses are no longer a taboo. I've now got girls in skirts, heels, jumpsuits, jeans, khakis, skirt suits, pantsuits, and everything in between. Even Laura, who is definitely still quite tomboyish, now rocks a short-skirted power suit.

One of the other ones also has a weird dress-like outfit from the Store that looks like a mix between a vintage flight attendant's uniform and some expensive high fashion piece from the 80s. She must've paid at least a hundred dollars for it!

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 9:41 PM Last edited by c4tbun3 : 12th Jul 2019 at 10:15 PM.
So I did manage to find exactly what I was looking for, a neck fix for transgender sims. Both sliders and an accessory. Except...

This fix only worked for AMAB sims wearing girl tops, and not AFAB sims wearing guy tops. There's still a huge gap there and I can't find anything to fix that.
And then there's the matter of the feet and the abdomen if wearing a girl top with a guy bottom...

But at least it is possible! (link to thread I found for AMAB sims here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=590268 )

Any idea who still does requests for things nowadays? Or commissions, what have you? I have no idea where to start looking

also I'd be interested in those mesh edits and AFAB masculine cc? provided they're reasonably maxis match and not too alpha.
Test Subject
#8 Old 31st Mar 2023 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by c4tbun3
So I did manage to find exactly what I was looking for, a neck fix for transgender sims. Both sliders and an accessory. Except...

This fix only worked for AMAB sims wearing girl tops, and not AFAB sims wearing guy tops. There's still a huge gap there and I can't find anything to fix that.
And then there's the matter of the feet and the abdomen if wearing a girl top with a guy bottom...

But at least it is possible! (link to thread I found for AMAB sims here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=590268 )

Any idea who still does requests for things nowadays? Or commissions, what have you? I have no idea where to start looking

also I'd be interested in those mesh edits and AFAB masculine cc? provided they're reasonably maxis match and not too alpha.

Any luck finding a mod for ftm clothing.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 1st Apr 2023 at 1:23 PM
Not sure how Bloom's sliders would work to correct a neck gap? I imagine it would be geom based, and focused on last row of vertices of either head or neck??? Bone slider would move both edges, so...

Problems you will have in finding the kinds of items you want, are that trans stuff only recently became a thing. Those still making things for TS3, may not feel like spending time on something they won't use in their own game. And sorry to say, but male and female meshes are simply different... just as adult, teen and elder are different. Each use different torso, bottom, head and feet, and none of the seams align from one to another. Even tm to am, or tf to af do not align.

There may be a few things linked in this thread here, that help. Also, look around Venus Princess's pages... she did a few things.