Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2020 at 3:27 PM
Default Assorted advanced questions on CAW innovation
So, I have some pretty unique ideas for my worlds and Ive been figuring out a few things that seem to be uncommonly spoken of, but there are still many things that Id like to know or figure out

The first is a complex topic regarding seasons, water planes, routing and weather

During winter and cold temperatures, things change within the world environment, of the most interest is water. Some water freezes, some water doesn't, and it appears some people have had issues with sims walking on water during winter.

I thought to myself there must be a file or a line of code that governs changes in routing during certain conditions. For one thing

Has anyone found such a file or know how the game handles this?

If Im getting started on dynamic routing let me just take the time to say there could be a way of using objects to govern routing, soft routing, like how you can use room markers to say that an ares is not for NPCs in WA

Ive always loved the idea for the potential of sealed off areas within a neighbourhood lockedbehind road blocks, toll booths, gates, bouncers, but unfortunatelyit has been my finding that this causes rrouting issues, but if NPC autonomy to enter a space never occurred in the first place that takes care of half the issue. The other half is "when can an NPC route to this space"

ANYWAY

The other thing to this is the way water reacts to the cold. Could there not in theory be different types of water planes? Maybe an entirely new object? For example, one might freeze over in winter and be available for ice skating and walking on, one might remain liquid, one might actually be able to accomodate houseboats, and have lots on it, whereas in my experience you cannot do anything interesting with water planes it just sits there looking pretty

I was really hoping to have a world which really changes over the seasons, and has places where water and ice meet. In the spring the ice melts away and it is just water there, in winter it freezes over, and you have a large stretch of winter beaches made entirely of ice

I do know that this can be partially accomplished with seasonal lots that change according to the seasons, so you could have a coast lined with lots that are filled with winter ice and snow during winter, and revert to normal other seasons

The last thing is, with the strange behaviours of different types of water in the game I thought there might be a way to use this to my advantage in the struggle to have lots I have managed to build underwater, or partially submerged, actually have the underwater parts be playable.

My sims always recognise that a room or building is infact filled with water even if I pretend it is filled with air

Thank you for any help you can provide in figuring these out
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Apr 2020 at 3:30 PM Last edited by Snowdraggal : 19th Apr 2020 at 1:52 AM.
Ive always loved the idea for the potential of sealed off areas within a neighbourhood lockedbehind road blocks, toll booths, gates, bouncers, but unfortunatelyit has been my finding that this causes rrouting issues, but Thats all Im going to type out for now but I had more complex questions I will note out now, for later on

Numerical heights in CAW for building measurements such as number of storeys, number of staircase steps (because 8 steps of a staircase is a completely valid measurement for a professsional simgineer!)

Ways to walk between close lots which are suspended in the air

Houseboat routing, and controlling whether or not a houseboat can phase through CAW objects (Im perfectly capable of creating myself)

What causes glitching in terrain elevation in custom heightmaps (trying to flatten a bit of terrain, looks flattened when brushing, but in fact remains elevated compared to terrain around it)

Some exploit to mod the crap out of for having sims drive under bridges like Ive made a houseboat drive under a bridge

Walking bridges (sofar my only idea is if I made a custom mesh of a car bridge that has just the two sidewalk parts, the road part cut out despitd the factcars would likely still drive over the invisible bridge)

MY IDEAS ARE ENDLESS HELP ME
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 5:48 AM
There is an edit button you can use to edit your posts so you are not creating excessive posts and doubling your efforts by retyping the same information.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 11:54 AM
I have troubles sorting this into subjects. It seems to me you demand a lot from EA. Many of your issues are modding issues, and should be asked in the modding forum probably.

When it comes to routing, that word is often used in relation to lines and dots on the ground, to control where sims can go. It doesn't have anything to do with what kind of sims go where as far as I know. You can do that with zoned lots, but not open terrain I think.

When it comes to water planes it wouldn't surprice me if they react different to weather. It's an object or coded object after all. For that reason it might be moddable, but you have to ask modders.

Also there is a way to measure height with staircases in caw, but I found it rather buggy. I don't know where the tutorials might be.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
There is an edit button you can use to edit your posts so you are not creating excessive posts and doubling your efforts by retyping the same information.

Excuse me for that. I had intended to remove the first part of the post from the second comment. Ive now edited it.

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I have troubles sorting this into subjects. It seems to me you demand a lot from EA. Many of your issues are modding issues, and should be asked in the modding forum probably.

When it comes to routing, that word is often used in relation to lines and dots on the ground, to control where sims can go. It doesn't have anything to do with what kind of sims go where as far as I know. You can do that with zoned lots, but not open terrain I think.

When it comes to water planes it wouldn't surprice me if they react different to weather. It's an object or coded object after all. For that reason it might be moddable, but you have to ask modders.

Also there is a way to measure height with staircases in caw, but I found it rather buggy. I don't know where the tutorials might be.

In regards to this, Im very aware of using the staircase steps to measure terrain. As I have said, Im looking for the numerical values of a story height or for 4 steps. Because say I want to have a multi lot, multi layered stretching boardwalk and have terrain and objects easily be at the right heights all the time. I can waste time loading up edit in game to go throug overly complex processes to measure it all out of I can know tge numbers and doa little math.

While we are at it, Id like to know if there is a way to set the height of terrain numerically instead of through sculpting