Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 6:01 PM
Default MiniTutorial - Enabling Patterns (1 pattern to 3 patterns)
MiniTutorial - Enabling Patterns (1 pattern to 3 patterns)

This tutorial will show you how to enable Patterns B and C, the 2nd and 3rd pattern choices in CAS, in you object. You should already know how to make an object, edit a RGB mask, and have a general knowledge of s3pe. Back Ups Save Lives!

What you need

-S3PE
-An object already mapped and with a rgb mask made for 3 patterns (painted with red, blue, and green). Of course you could do that after enabling the patterns, but for our purposes, have one ready.

1. Open your package in S3PE and select the OBJD resource. Click the Grid button to open up the Grid.

2. Select Materials and click the box on the right.

3. With [0]Material selected, click the plus sign next to MaterialBlock.

4. Select TypeCodes and click the box on the right.

5. Scroll down until you find ControlCode 0x34. Change the value of the Unknown1 to 0x01. This enables Pattern B.

6. Scroll down until you find ControlCode 0x35. Change the value of the Unknown1 to 0x01. This enables Pattern C.

7. Click OK, OK, and Commit. Save your package.

Your object should now have 3 pattern options in CAS.
Screenshots

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Alchemist
#3 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 9:39 PM
Thanks cmo...I think a lot of people are gonna find this a most helpful addition to the tutorials section. I know I will
Scholar
#4 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 10:16 AM
Thank you very much !

But I have a problem :s. I was able to enable pattern B and C but I can't change the color in CAStyle as the uvmap or the RBG mask was bad but I'm sure they are not. You can see the uvmap and the RBG mask in the screens.
As you can see it's the 3 tiles table. The glass group is present but it's a little point hidden in a feet.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#5 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 1:13 PM
You currently have the table mapped incorrectly to the mask. Each part of the mesh you want to a specific channel needs to be mapped to that area, ie: red, green, blue. The alpha channel on the mask also needs to correspond with the RGB colors.

Have you read through the tutorial by Ellacharm3d? It explains the IMG files and the I do believe the channels/mask.
Scholar
#6 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 3:21 PM
I know the uv map does not correspond to the table, it's for testing. I saw the tuto but I did not learn something
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#7 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 4:38 PM
I am confused then. If you know the uvmap doesn't correspond to the table, then what is the problem? It looks like all three channels are enabled. Which is what this mini tutorial shows you how to do. If parts of the table are not recoloring as you expect then maybe you should fix the mask?
Scholar
#8 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 4:56 PM
The top of the table must to appear in blue (as you can see in the 3d view of milshape 3d). but in game all the table appears in red.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#9 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 5:47 PM
Ah ok, I think I understand. I think the answer is still what I posted before. Make sure to adjust the RGB on your mask IMG and the alpha layer. I think maybe you haven't adjusted the alpha layer in the mask IMG and so the whole thing is still only showing the red channel. The channels are also controlled by the alpha layer.

I thought Ella's tutorial covered the alphas in your texture, but take a look at this too. Sims_3:Basic_Mask_Editingwiki
Scholar
#10 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 9:37 AM
I tried to make something but it failed. I think I will give up I don't understand what I'm doing with GIMP, it is really not handy and the tuto use paintshop pro and is about a clothe map (talking about magenta or yellow Oo).
When I open the dds file there is always the red, green, blue and alpha channels, what I am suppose to do ??
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 4:40 PM
CarlosFilipePedro, what sort of tree do you mean? The outdoor plants in TS3 (like the birch tree, the oak tree ..) are a proprietary format that you can't edit like regular objects.

Also, this tutorial is only about enabling patterns – not changing colours, presets, editing masks or anything else. See other tutorials for how to do that (e.g. the links HP mentioned, cmomoney also has one about editing presets, see the tutorials section and the wiki). Most tutorials I've seen have links underneath to a Q+A forum thread, where you can post with questions.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 5:16 PM
TheJim07 - For the table, I UV mapped it like this for example:

...then the rgb map looks like this:

...with an all white alpha. The result is this:

CarlosFilipePedro - Enabling the pattern doesn't automagically make that pattern show up on an object. The RGB mask has to be edited as well:

...and even more has to be done to make the leaves recolorable. As far a trees, as PB said they're setup different and I haven't seen a tree with a Material you can edit.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#15 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 5:29 PM
When I open up that three tile table in S3PE I'm seeing two IMG's that are all red. One is rectangular and really tiny while the other is a red 256 x 256 square.

We're supposed to be using the one that looks like a red rectangle right? That one already has a solid white alpha so if that's the one that's supposed to be used maybe you're somehow just deleting the alpha Jim.

And, if that's the one we're supposed to be using and someone used the other one by mistake you could also end up with a solid red table like the picture above I think.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
When I open up that three tile table in S3PE I'm seeing two IMG's that are all red. One is rectangular and really tiny while the other is a red 256 x 256 square.

We're supposed to be using the one that looks like a red rectangle right? That one already has a solid white alpha so if that's the one that's supposed to be used maybe you're somehow just deleting the alpha Jim.

And, if that's the one we're supposed to be using and someone used the other one by mistake you could also end up with a solid red table like the picture above I think.

It's the one with the same name as the AO and spec map images, like tableDiningLongVict_0xf31ec7604518b1a4. That could be the mistake that Jim has made, I didn't think about that.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#17 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 6:05 PM
How odd...I don't have an IMG like that in the list. I thought maybe I had deleted it in the first table I cloned so I cloned it again and I still don't have that IMG:

I don't understand why you have that and I don't...we're talking the three tile glass top base game dining table right?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#18 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 6:12 PM
Well, I did do it with the default only box unchecked, but it still should be in yours.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#19 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 6:20 PM
I cloned this dining table to make the little dining table that I uploaded here and when I look at that one it doesn't have an IMG like this either. What is the TGI for it? Is this because of the tool version I'm using to clone with?

Let me try with the defaults unticked and see if I get it then.

eta: that made it show up:

so maybe this is the issue Jim is having. If he doesn't clone this table with that box unticked he isn't even going to be offered the IMG he needs to change perhaps.

But why does this happen when I clone this table...it doesn't happen for other objects I clone. I wonder if it's because it's a two material object?
Scholar
#20 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 6:37 PM
I don't care about the uv map cmo I know how to fix that, my problem is that my RGB mask does not work. But plasticbox is right, this is not the right place to talk about that. Thank you very much for sharing how to enable patterns. It will be helpful .
Alchemist
#21 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 6:51 PM
Jim, when you clone the table is the list in S3PE showing you the IMG you need to change? If it's working for you like it is for me, and you don't have the default box unclicked, you aren't even going to be able to export the right IMG in order to change it.
Scholar
#22 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 9:32 AM
Question : and what about the fourth pattern ? Can we enable it like this way too ? Or is it harder to do ?
Alchemist
#23 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 1:30 PM
The fourth pattern is pattern D and from what cmo said in another thread it's typecode 0x11. Then you would need to change your red/green map to have orange on it I think...like the EA expensive desk (900 dollar one) has on its red/green IMG.

That one looks like this:

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#24 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 1:52 PM
I haven't been able to enable the fourth pattern, because there are typecodes that have to be added. The RC S3PE can add typecodes, but you also need to know what to add/change. And the ObjectRgbMask xml might need to be changed, too The alpha on the rgb mask would also need to be modified. But like I said, I haven't been able to pull it off.

BTW Just in case anyone has not reached the assumption, you can disable patterns by changing the typecodes mentioned in the tutorial to 0x00, like if you clone an object that has too many pattern options. Pattern D(the fourth option) enable is 0x11.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#25 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 2:05 PM
Oh, that's too bad. But thanks for posting that and saving people from going to the effort and then having it not work cmo. I shouldn't have assumed that since you could disable pattern D easily that it would be just as easy to enable it.

In terms of knowing which typecodes to add do you think it's possible to use the EA expensive desk as a sort of model for that since it does have pattern D enabled? Or would that not work for some reason?
Page 1 of 3