Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 12:25 AM
Default Tutorial: Setting up Your Caw Framework for CC (with pictures!)
The Original Information can be found on the Sims Wiki here;
Making Create-a-World Recognize Custom Content

I open up the Caw programs folder:
Programs(x86)
Electronic Arts/Create a World

http://i.imgur.com/s41eM.jpg"width=600"

Drag the Resource.cfg to my desktop.
Click on the resource to open it up, you may get this;

Select Notepad to open it.
Copy and paste this to the very bottom:

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package

This is what it will look like:

Now just SAVE (don't forget this bit), and drop it back into your Caw folder in Programs.
Make your "Packages" folder, and drop all the wonderful goodies in.

Now, if you're just too tired right now to read through a tut, and implement it, no problem, here is the already amended Resource.cfg. Don't forget to make your packages folder.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Resource.zip (872 Bytes, 4267 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Resource.cfg
24 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 1:37 PM
Thank you auntielynds, this is very much needed!

I'll add it to the Wiki tutorial lists.
Test Subject
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 12:43 AM
I'm a little late in saying this, I guess, but thank you for putting in an already-altered version. For some reason my computer won't let me open the file in Notepad.
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 10:59 PM
It doesn't work for me. I really badly need this pieces ( http://modthesims.info/t/483599 ) for my world, but they just don't show up in CAW. I followed this instruction a few times to make sure I didn't overread something. I have put the data in documents and under my program folder, but that changes nothing... -_-'

Help, please.
Test Subject
#5 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 1:10 AM
I cannot find a resource.cfg file - I have the version of CAW that works with the latest patch, and my folder looks WAY different. Is there something different I need to do?

http://imgur.com/a/pJOxD

I'm going to back everything up, then attempt to complete the tutorial without the file.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."
"Now, now, Syd. Movies don't create psychos. Movies make psychos more creative."
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't"
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 10:50 AM
@crystal5213

You have opened up your Documents folder. What you actually need is the installation files for CAW, usually in C:\Programs(x86):

Quote: Originally posted by auntielynds
I open up the Caw programs folder:
Programs(x86)
Electronic Arts/Create a World

Drag the Resource.cfg to my desktop.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 7:02 PM
doesn't work for me n'either :/
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 12:19 AM
@SpearsInstrumentals You'll have to elaborate- what have you done exactly and what errors or problems do you get?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@SpearsInstrumentals You'll have to elaborate- what have you done exactly and what errors or problems do you get?

well I just used the file they uploaded here so we don't have to change or edit anything at all, made the packages map and put some downloads in it, even restarted my pc, and I've done everything in here as explaind but still, nothing shows up :/

I downloaded the various brick walls, the hidden items such as the four arch bridge/wall and such...nothing shows up :/
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 11:02 AM
For the bridges, do you mean the Riverview ones? In that case, you need Riverview installed too.

Can you show us a screenshot of your resource.cfg and packages folder, like auntielynds has in the first post?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 7:37 AM
For the bridges, do you mean the Riverview ones? In that case, you need Riverview installed too.

Can you show us a screenshot of your resource.cfg and packages folder, like auntielynds has in the first post?

I do have Riverview installed, the resource file is the downloaded from Auntielynds herself and the CC are packages files so I really don't know why it won't work...

I did notice I have 2 files on my computer, one being in Program files(x86) and one in "my documents". As You can see on the pictures I tried to put the files into both but n'either of them made the CC show up...

I added the screenshots as attachments
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 6:26 PM
The picture of your Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create A World Tool folder is not normal. It contains the same files as your userdata (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create A World Tool) folder. Also, the filepath shows 'Electronic Arts1'. Are you sure that you have your CAW tool installed correctly? Are you sure that it is installed to the 'Electronic Arts1' folder?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 3:24 PM
The picture of your Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create A World Tool folder is not normal. It contains the same files as your userdata (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create A World Tool) folder. Also, the filepath shows 'Electronic Arts1'. Are you sure that you have your CAW tool installed correctly? Are you sure that it is installed to the 'Electronic Arts1' folder?

it has always been that way...I've made a world already and everything worked just like it has to. What do you suggest?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 6:13 PM
Where is your Sims 3 game installed to? Is that under 'ElectronicArts1' too? Could you show me a screenshot of the contents of your 'ElectronicArts1' folder please, and also check that you don't have a folder called 'ElectronicArts'.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 7:58 PM
Where is your Sims 3 game installed to? Is that under 'ElectronicArts1' too? Could you show me a screenshot of the contents of your 'ElectronicArts1' folder please, and also check that you don't have a folder called 'ElectronicArts'.

I have both, CAW is the only thing that's filed under EA1 and alll the other sims are in the EA file. I've uninstalled CAW and re-installed it.

Now it looked like it should look like, however now I can't even load the game anymore. An error reading "an error occurred in the sims 3 caw - beta" keeps popping up when loading the CAW tool.

I've deleted and re-installed it as much as 3 times now and it keeps popping up...I tried REVO to delete it but when installed, even REVO can't find anything called create a world (but in Dutch as I'm from Belgium).

I've uploaded a picture how the file looks like now and to me it looks the same as it's portrayed in here.

I really don't know what is happening as my game is patch is 1.69 and so is the CAW download. My brain's hurting lmao
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 9:30 AM
Ah, now the contents of your CAW install folder look right! If you compare your screenshot above to the one in your previous post, you'll see what I mean.

As you are installing to the Program Files (x86) folder then your profile will virtualise the files when you change them, so clean out your virtual store. To do this, delete any files in the following directory:
C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts
You could also delete anything under 'ElectronicArts1' that is there too. Those files are hiden, so you'll need to enable hidden files to see them. Help on that here:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...OS-specific.29:

Also delete your game cache files:
Game Help:Sims 3 Delete Cache Fileswiki

Does CAW launch now? If not, test it with a clean set of userdata for Sims 3. Drag Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 and Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool to the desktop. Does Sims 3 launch? Does CAW launch?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 12:52 PM
Does CAW launch now? If not, test it with a clean set of userdata for Sims 3. Drag Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 and Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool to the desktop. Does Sims 3 launch? Does CAW launch?

I've noticed the difference yes and I am doing now what you said, the file EA1 was already removed as I deleted it and it still is gone. I've deleted the cache files and did what you say. It's installing now.

Thanks for your time, I hope it'll work now. I'll respond afterwards
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 12:59 PM

Annnnd nope, did everything what you sid but the error keeps popping up.

I guess I can never play with it again. I hate all these stupid glitches.

I have Windows 8, don't know if it has anything to do with that
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 1:07 PM
I'm seriously considering to delete the whole deal and just stop playing. It gives me nothing but headaches.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 10th Nov 2016 at 4:35 PM
Have you tried running the exe as an administrator? The other option is to install it to a location outside of the UAC protected locations, such as C:\ Games\ Electronic Arts.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 10th Nov 2016 at 6:49 PM
Have you tried running the exe as an administrator? .

nope doesn't work either
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 10th Nov 2016 at 8:55 PM
Have you tried running the exe as an administrator? The other option is to install it to a location outside of the UAC protected locations, such as C:\ Games\ Electronic Arts.

Nothing worked, the message still keeps popping up, this ain't normal I guess
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 8:19 AM

I will delete everything even my games (making back-up) and then re-install them, hopefuly that'll work...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 8:43 AM
Okay, reinstall them to a location outside of the Program Files (x86) folder- I usually make a folder called 'Games' to install programs to, so the path would be C:\Games\Electronic arts etc. This will mean that UAC is not playing any part in your game.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 9:47 AM
Okay, reinstall them to a location outside of the Program Files (x86) folder- I usually make a folder called 'Games' to install programs to, so the path would be C:\Games\Electronic arts etc. This will mean that UAC is not playing any part in your game.

First of all: THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your help you gave me so far! You rock

I'm not really a tech guy and I hoenstly have no clue what UAC stands for or what it does, but if you advice me to do so, it probably is worth it haha I'm updating my computer and defragmenting it first and will try once more and if that didn't work, I'll re-install everything
Page 1 of 2