Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Sep 2019 at 9:57 AM
Default Objects that won't show in CAW from Sims3 on Linux
Dear Mod the Sims moderators,

I don't know if anyone still plays Sims 3 and creates worlds, but I would be so happy to solve my problem because my favourite thing to do is creating worlds in CAW and since I had to switch from Windows to Linux my objects don't show up anymore, well at least half of them in CAW are gone. My husband is programmer and tried to help. He did create the link to the package folder after I tried just adding the package folder to my CAW folder. Of course with altered resource.cfg file in the CAW folder( both in Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create a world folder). Both trys did not work. I assume the link is not working on Linux and just a copy of my package folder in the Caw folder did also not work in Windows for me btw. Maybe anyone played the Sims 3 on Linux too and had the same issue and found any solution. If so please post what you did. Help me please if you got any idea. Thank you!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 27th Sep 2019 at 3:36 PM
I can assure you many still make worlds in ts3, even if they don't play.

I don't know much about Linux, but if it's anything like a Mac, you might have a problem. As far as I know CAW doesn't work on Mac's.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 27th Sep 2019 at 4:43 PM
Linux runs a lot more things than Mac and from the sound of it CAW runs, just does not recognize some packages? Sadly I have no idea about CAW what packages go where etc.. Do you have a link to an explanation what you are trying to do? I am on Linux as well but I don't use CAW, is there a tutorial page for windows anywhere? Then I could look through that and make suggestions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Sep 2019 at 7:49 PM
Default Link
Quote: Originally posted by KittyTheSnowcat
Linux runs a lot more things than Mac and from the sound of it CAW runs, just does not recognize some packages? Sadly I have no idea about CAW what packages go where etc.. Do you have a link to an explanation what you are trying to do? I am on Linux as well but I don't use CAW, is there a tutorial page for windows anywhere? Then I could look through that and make suggestions.

Here is the link to the explaination how to make CAW recognize the package folder for CAW on windows: https://classic.modthesims.info/wik...p:CAW_Framework
Field Researcher
#5 Old 29th Sep 2019 at 1:16 PM
Actually that does not sound like a Linux problem, but a problem with the resource.cfg file. If copying the packages does not work, creating a link obviously won't work either..
Are you sure you edited the file correctly and have the right folder structure?
dodgy builder
#6 Old 29th Sep 2019 at 3:11 PM
You might want to try the modders forum. They are the one's who deal with coding. They might know how you can edit the code. If there's still some life there. They might have moved on somewhere else.

I'll search for a link.

It wouldn't let me copy the link on my phone. Anyways it's at Sims3/modding in the meny at the top.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Sep 2019 at 5:16 PM Last edited by SusaSusanna : 30th Sep 2019 at 9:30 AM.
Actually that does not sound like a Linux problem, but a problem with the resource.cfg file. If copying the packages does not work, creating a link obviously won't work either..
Are you sure you edited the file correctly and have the right folder structure?

There is a page where I could directly download the altered resource.cfg file, I can be absolutely sure it is correct. So that's not the problem, the problem is that the objects from my package folder don't show up in CAW with this methode.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Sep 2019 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
You might want to try the modders forum. They are the one's who deal with coding. They might know how you can edit the code. If there's still some life there. They might have moved on somewhere else.

I'll search for a link.

It wouldn't let me copy the link on my phone. Anyways it's at Sims3/modding in the meny at the top.

My husband is programmer himself and said it would be probably a linux problem. What I'd need is someone using CAW on Linux and any work around solution to make it work.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 9:12 AM
My husband is a programmer too and has no clue about using windows programs in Linux... I work in IT and have been using Linux on my Computer for years now.
Why does your husband think it is a Linux problem? Do any parts of CAW not load? What wine version do you use? Have you run it through a command line and seen if there are any error messages about modules missing?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 9:49 AM Last edited by SusaSusanna : 30th Sep 2019 at 10:04 AM.
My husband is a programmer too and has no clue about using windows programs in Linux... I work in IT and have been using Linux on my Computer for years now.
Why does your husband think it is a Linux problem? Do any parts of CAW not load? What wine version do you use? Have you run it through a command line and seen if there are any error messages about modules missing?

No, all parts of CAW load, just half of my objects for CAW don't show, which is btw normal if you are used to the bad programed sims game, in windows the link helped and did let the objects show, my husband said that Linux might just not be able to read the link that's needed for the objects to show up. If you can tell me where to look up the wine version I will provide all infos you need, I am unfortunately new to Linux and I don't really expect wine to be the problem. And I really expect that I need someone's help that uses CAW on Linux to find a solution. No offense, but don't you think you should maybe use CAW and link the package folder for it to see why it won't work? I don't really expect us to find any solution without this try. If there is a work around only a programmer could have found it, because people that use CAW will want to use those CAW objects to make map building more interesting and the problem is probably that Linux is not able to read everything that windows can read (You for sure need to program something to have a workaround ). Linux gets still improved to reach that standard and I rather see the problem there. ( Just my personal impression). Don't misunderstand me please, it is very kind that you are trying to help me, I just don't see any success without looking it up on your own computer.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusaSusanna
No, all parts of CAW load, just half of my objects for CAW don't show, which is btw normal if you are used to the bad programed sims game, in windows the link helped and did let the objects show, my husband said that Linux might just not be able to read the link that's needed for the objects to show up. If you can tell me where to look up the wine version I will provide all infos you need, I am unfortunately new to Linux and I don't really expect wine to be the problem. And I really expect that I need someone's help that uses CAW on Linux to find a solution. No offense, but don't you think you should maybe use CAW and link the package folder for it to see why it won't work? I don't really expect us to find any solution without this try. If there is a work around only a programmer could have found it, because people that use CAW will want to use those CAW objects to make map building more interesting and the problem is probably that Linux is not able to read everything that windows can read (You for sure need to program something to have a workaround ). Linux gets still improved to reach that standard and I rather see the problem there. ( Just my personal impression). Don't misunderstand me please, it is very kind that you are trying to help me, I just don't see any success without looking it up on your own computer.

Just to be sure could you post the contents of your resource.cfg and the folder path of your packages folder and where you put the file? How do you run wine, do you use Lutris? The only wayit does not read those packages is when a module of CAW does not get loaded that is supposed to look them up., or if it looks in the wrong place. Wine won't just not load it because it is on a Linux computer that is not how it works.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:07 AM
Just to be sure could you post the contents of your resource.cfg and the folder path of your packages folder and where you put the file? How do you run wine, do you use Lutris? The only wayit does not read those packages is when a module of CAW does not get loaded that is supposed to look them up., or if it looks in the wrong place. Wine won't just not load it because it is on a Linux computer that is not how it works.

Yes I use Lutris and the resource file copy I can give you, np:
# ResourceConfig file for platform-independent resources
#
# See ResourceConfig/doc/ResourceConfig.htm for details on format.
# Intranet link as of this moment:
# http://ears-wiki/ctg/_docs/depot/UT...ourceConfig.htm

#
# UI
#
Priority -29
PackedFile UI/UI.package
PackedFile Automation/AutomationData.package
PackedFile Jazz/JazzData.package
PackedFile Misc/fallback.package

#
# Folder associations using Group IDs
#
#Group 0x001407ec Audio
#Group 0x0051185b EffectsBinary

#
# File associations using FileType IDs. Put them here instead of in a DDFMap.txt
#
#FileType 0x0175e5cd script
#FileType 0x0175e5d9 scriptsym
#FileType 0x8eaf13de rig
#FileType 0x6b20c4f3 clip
#FileType 0x00b2d882 dds
#FileType 0x025ed6f4 simoutfit
#FileType 0xd55f7caf lightrigs
FileType 0xf0ff5598 triggers
#FileType 0x11c258c0 ctriggers
FileType 0x0333406c xml
FileType 0x1a3201cd mod
#FileType 0xd3044521 slot
#FileType 0x00b552ea spt
#FileType 0x021d7e8c spt2
#FileType 0x1f886ead ini
FileType 0x025c95b6 layout
FileType 0x025c90a6 css
FileType 0x062e9ee0 ttf
FileType 0x062e9ee0 otf
FileType 0x062e9ee0 ttc
#FileType 0x2f7d0006 tga
#FileType 0x2f7d0004 png
#FileType 0x2f7d0002 jpg
#FileType 0x2f7d0002 jpeg
#FileType 0x03b4c61d lightingdata
#FileType 0xea5118b0 swb
#Audio files
#FileType 0x02b9f662 prop
#FileType 0x010077c4 wav
#FileType 0x010077bb mp3
#FileType 0x010077ca xa
#FileType 0x01a527db snr
#FileType 0x01eef63a sns
#FileType 0x0181b0d2 abk
#FileType 0x02c9eff2 submix
#FileType 0x029e333b voice
FileType 0x03b33ddf mod
FileType 0x0604abda dreamtree
Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package

The resource.cfg goes into the CAW folder as described earlier by the link I gave. The package folder is of course in my mods folder in the sims3 folder. The path is on linux: personal folder/games/the-sims-3/drive-c/users/my name/my documents/Electronic Arts/ The sims 3/mods/packages
For how to link it into the caw folder follow my link I posted a few posts above.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:13 AM
Can you go into the folder where your link is and take a screenshot? I know it sounds stupid, but sometimes the problem is really simple and you spent hours and hours on more complex ideas, I just want to make sure^^
Also I would try to install CAW but the download option only gives me a white empty box?

Right click on CAW in Lutris and go to Configure. In the runner tab you can see what wine version you are using.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:14 AM

Here is additionally the page I downloaded the resource.cfg from: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=481967
Field Researcher
#15 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:17 AM
How did you make the link? create new -> basic link? And did you name it Packages? I cannot be named "linktopackages" or whatever the default is, it needs to be named exactly as the resource.cfg stated the folder will be called (capital P too)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:20 AM
Can you go into the folder where your link is and take a screenshot? I know it sounds stupid, but sometimes the problem is really simple and you spent hours and hours on more complex ideas, I just want to make sure^^
Also I would try to install CAW but the download option only gives me a white empty box?

Right click on CAW in Lutris and go to Configure. In the runner tab you can see what wine version you are using.

Sorry just trying to reinstall my sims3, by this the link is gone now, I copied my old Electronic Art folder before I reinstalled but the link gets removed if you move that folder, so its gone now. I understand your worries, sometimes simple tiny mistakes can mess up stuff but you may be assured that I know how to handle the Sims3 meanwhile, I used and repaired it countless times on my windows.
You will need the last version of CAW to make sure that you have the same files like I do, no idea why you get a white box. Did you install it by Lutris run exe. inside wine prefix?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:22 AM
How did you make the link? create new -> basic link? And did you name it Packages? I cannot be named "linktopackages" or whatever the default is, it needs to be named exactly as the resource.cfg stated the folder will be called (capital P too)

I did not change any names of the cfg or folder. They got their original names. I did not create the link, my husband did, so can't tell at the moment, can ask him later though.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:24 AM
If you make a link you need to name the link.. that is what I mean^^
Field Researcher
#19 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:25 AM
I did not change any names of the cfg or folder. They got their original names. I did not create the link, my husband did, so can't tell at the moment, can ask him later though.

get back to me when you know, If you reinstall your Sims that will take some time anyways.

What linux version are you btw ?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:29 AM
Sorry just trying to reinstall my sims3, by this the link is gone now, I copied my old Electronic Art folder before I reinstalled but the link gets removed if you move that folder, so its gone now. I understand your worries, sometimes simple tiny mistakes can mess up stuff but you may be assured that I know how to handle the Sims3 meanwhile, I used and repaired it countless times on my windows.
You will need the last version of CAW to make sure that you have the same files like I do, no idea why you get a white box. Did you install it by Lutris run exe. inside wine prefix?

This is in the runner tab shown as wine version: thg-oldvidia-sims3-4.1-x86-64 (default)
DXVK version 1.4.1
D9VK version 0.22
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:33 AM
If you make a link you need to name the link.. that is what I mean^^

Will ask my husband tonight when he comes home and then come back to you, thank you!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Sep 2019 at 11:52 AM
Will ask my husband tonight when he comes home and then come back to you, thank you!

Btw. if you are interested to take a peak here are some pictures of a few worlds I started with some years ago. They are blank empty worlds without houses only, but I did create them with some self made textures and they are mostly light colored island worlds. Not even sure if I would have needed to add my textures to the download files. http://sims3-worlds.bytefortress.de/index.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 5th Oct 2019 at 10:01 AM
Ok just to give you a life sign, I had a major computer break down, I am reinstalling right now everything and trying to find out what caused it. For the reason that my computer is brandnew quite some work...I will also look later into it if this caused my CAW problem too. My Linux version is Kubuntu version 18.04.3LTS.
Probably the CAW link problem was independent, but I'll come back to you in maybe a week or two thanks again for your help.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 6th Oct 2019 at 5:39 PM
Ok just to give you a life sign, I had a major computer break down, I am reinstalling right now everything and trying to find out what caused it. For the reason that my computer is brandnew quite some work...I will also look later into it if this caused my CAW problem too. My Linux version is Kubuntu version 18.04.3LTS.
Probably the CAW link problem was independent, but I'll come back to you in maybe a week or two thanks again for your help.

Oh dear that sounds bad, did your Hardware break?
That is good to know since I am on KDE Plasma too (Manjaro), so i know your menu looks the same and you are also using Dolphin as a filemanager. Good Luck fixing your Computer
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 8th Oct 2019 at 7:33 PM Last edited by SusaSusanna : 8th Oct 2019 at 8:18 PM.
One of the two ram sticks I bought for the new system wrote Linux to death with errors, two weeks after it arrived it had Linux killed, we finally found the problem and get a new ram. I am just reinstalling my programs now and tomorrow I'll start with installing the sims too again, which might take a bit, sorry for that. Coming back to you after when I get my link redone (might take a week.) Thanks again for your kind help. Edit: ...ok I just found out that the CDN of the Lutris page is down, so no installation of the sims 3 possible at the moment and I don't know when they'll fix this! I'll have to wait.
Page 1 of 2