Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Mod to allow Toddlers To Use Stairs

by rebecah Posted 30th Apr 2008 at 8:39 AM - Updated 9th Oct 2008 at 2:21 PM by rebecah : typos

117 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 105 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 5
Scholar
Original Poster
#51 Old 2nd May 2008 at 2:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LuckySeven
I really wanted this, but for some reason when I tried it in my game last night, I continuously recieved object errors and it would not work. I wonder if this is because I have Sims 2 Deluxe edition?

I'm not sure what comes with Sims 2 Deluxe, but it sound more like you have a conflict. Please download the following program to test for conflicts, with the Sims 2 Hack Conflict Detection Utility found Here click the Sims 2 - then look under Programs about half way down. Then if you would report back what you find I'd really apprecite it.
Test Subject
#52 Old 2nd May 2008 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
LuckySeven - What expansion packs do you have? Do you have any other stair mods? If you remove all CC except for Beck's toddler stair mod, does it still break? This info would help her debug.

Well Deluxe Edition is the base game and Nightlife, but I also have University installed. I will give what you suggested a try as soon as I can.
Scholar
Original Poster
#53 Old 2nd May 2008 at 2:42 AM Last edited by rebecah : 2nd May 2008 at 3:45 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by NikonSnow
Um...would you think about adding a version with that feature if I ask you pretty please? It would make it absolutely perfect for me. I love the idea of toddlers using stairs, but if they are going to walk down it only makes sense if they know how to walk first. Well, at least in my game. I know this doesn't matter to most people. :p

Ok I'll try to get this done and I will just post it as an additional post here.

Update:

Tis' now posted!
Test Subject
#54 Old 2nd May 2008 at 4:32 AM
Thank you very much! I was just thinking about this the other day! I love your work!
Test Subject
#55 Old 2nd May 2008 at 1:46 PM
Well I removed all my custom content and tried again. I still got object error pop-ups and with the new version it wouldn't allow anyone to use the stairs.
Scholar
Original Poster
#56 Old 2nd May 2008 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LuckySeven
Well I removed all my custom content and tried again. I still got object error pop-ups and with the new version it wouldn't allow anyone to use the stairs.

Thanks so much for taking the time to test it and report your findings. I think it didn't work for you due to a reference to the robot, so I believe the new noep versions should work ok for you. Please let me know if you find that is still doesn't work.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 3rd May 2008 at 1:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rebecah
Tis' now posted!

Thank you thank you thank you :D
Test Subject
#58 Old 3rd May 2008 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rebecah
Thanks so much for taking the time to test it and report your findings. I think it didn't work for you due to a reference to the robot, so I believe the new noep versions should work ok for you. Please let me know if you find that is still doesn't work.

Hi, I've tried it now and I think I may have the same problem - I'm using Bon Voyage ep - and all my sims now stay under/on top of the stairs, being annoyingly annoyed and there is this can't walk sign over their heads.
Scholar
Original Poster
#59 Old 3rd May 2008 at 5:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sevenjetc
Hi, I've tried it now and I think I may have the same problem - I'm using Bon Voyage ep - and all my sims now stay under/on top of the stairs, being annoyingly annoyed and there is this can't walk sign over their heads.

Is BV the only EP you have? If so please try the no ep version. It original version has been tested with BV but that person also has all EP up to BV. It works find for her. Be sure to run the hack tester too.
Test Subject
#60 Old 3rd May 2008 at 5:56 AM
Well I tried the No EP version this time around. I removed all my custom content again, and it worked... sort of. Toddlers that knew how to walk could use the stairs, but no one else could. I even went so far as to check to make sure that in the sims memory that they had been taught to walk, but still no luck. I really hope I'm not being a bother about this.
Top Secret Researcher
#61 Old 3rd May 2008 at 6:31 AM
Rebecah,
As I have told you before you bring so much joy and happiness to play the games with all the special things you have made for us, but I have to say I am so happy I think I will go to sleep with a big smile still on my face after seeing this mod.
I went to Sims Safe and got the puppy and kitten one, one knows that they can climb up as well as toddlers even if they were to crawl up the stairs.
Thank you over and over for creating the number one things for toddlers and allowing me to enjoy playing the game, before your creations toddlers had such a boring life.
Just like EA not to create long hair styles or other styles, do they think all toddlers are bald or with ugly bob?
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 3rd May 2008 at 1:34 PM Last edited by Vigaku : 3rd May 2008 at 1:34 PM. Reason: Changed to feedback post
I downloaded the version that they have to be able to walk to use the stairs... Only, in game, my adult sims refused to use the stairs... I managed to make one use them by having him "run to" rather than "walk to" a point under connecting stairs, but none would use the proper house stairs.

For the record, I have base game, uni, nightlife and OFB installed.
Scholar
Original Poster
#63 Old 3rd May 2008 at 6:30 PM
Hi Vigaku,

Would you please try the NoEP version...that version also does not allow toddler to use unless they can walk. The other version may require at least BV installed. I have had it tested with that version and it works good for her. I think someone else reported it works with Seasons too.

TIA!
Test Subject
#64 Old 3rd May 2008 at 7:28 PM
I downloaded ToddlerStairModToddlerOnlyUseIfTheyCanWalk.zip and BecksToddlerModularStairGlobalMod.zip.

I have Sims 2 Delux (that comes w. NL), OFB and BV. My toddler could go down and up the stairs, but no adults were able to use the stairs. I will try the non EP version and report later.
Scholar
Original Poster
#65 Old 3rd May 2008 at 8:06 PM
Idomeh,

You didn't install both did you? You can only use one or the other. I just want to make sure you know this. It maybe that the test to make sure they can walk is causing a problem for adults too. I will do more testing on that too.

Thanks so much for taking the time to test and report your findings. The original version has been tested with BV and does work fine. If others find the ToddlerStairModToddlerOnlyUseIfTheyCanWalk.zip isn't working for them please let me know.
Test Subject
#66 Old 4th May 2008 at 5:08 PM
I've installed only the ToddlerStairModToddlerOnlyUseIfTheyCanWalk.zip and the adults, kids and elders cannot use the stairs. I have all the expansion packs up to BV but pets. I can install that, but I hate the strange pets go in and destroy my lawn, so I do not use it (unless there is some hack to avoid that, I'll take a look).
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 4th May 2008 at 5:44 PM
Just to let you know, I tried the base game version and it work great with the modular stairs. The straight stairs version, however, the toddlers would not go up the stairs and although they will go down there is no animation, they just jump to the bottom after complaining about the stair. Having said that, I have had a growing suspision lately that the holidays version of the base game that I have is some how unique to the other since things that work for most people with the base game, will not always work for me. That being said, you might want to take my experience with this mod with a grain of salt.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Mark Twain
Scholar
Original Poster
#68 Old 4th May 2008 at 7:25 PM Last edited by rebecah : 4th May 2008 at 7:37 PM.
Sevenjetc and crimsonbutterfly...did you download the updated file?
I updated this yesterday afternoon ToddlerStairModToddlerOnlyUseIfTheyCanWalk.zip

05-03-08 15:30 BecksToddlerStraightStairGlobalMod.package
05-03-08 15:29 BecksToddlerModularStairGlobalMod.package

Please be sure your files have the same date and time as above.

Crimsonbutterfly I also updated the NoEP version...did you download both files you need both the straight and diagonal files? In order for the sims to be able to use both types of stairs you do need the following 2 files.

BecksToddlerStraightStairGlobalModNoEP.zip
BecksToddlerModularStairGlobalModNoEP.zip
Test Subject
#69 Old 5th May 2008 at 4:29 PM
Well it looks like everything is working like it should now. Thanks a bunch.
Scholar
#70 Old 10th May 2008 at 12:24 AM
WoW! This is Great! I have Always Wanted My Toddlers to Use Stairs! ThankYou!

Hello, I'm Tiya Marie :)
I Hope You Dance!
Test Subject
#71 Old 12th May 2008 at 1:54 PM
Oh, that is just awesome!! It always got on my nerves when the toddlers sit in front of a staircase and whine because they can't join their parents downstairs. Now I must try out this mod immediately. I'm sure my game will be so much more fun now. I'm already enjoying your wonderful toddler-beds from them they can get out and in on their very own. You are awesome!!!
Test Subject
#72 Old 13th May 2008 at 12:35 AM
Mine has a problem! Tots can go up the stairs fine, but now no one else can! Kids-Elders, now stand at the bottom and refuse to go. BTW I have base game, family fun stuff, and BV
Scholar
Original Poster
#73 Old 13th May 2008 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mariah_
Mine has a problem! Tots can go up the stairs fine, but now no one else can! Kids-Elders, now stand at the bottom and refuse to go. BTW I have base game, family fun stuff, and BV

Please redownload the file. I have fixed that problem.
Test Subject
#74 Old 16th May 2008 at 7:55 PM
I have basegame only, and it kept my adult sims from being able to use the stairs
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 24th May 2008 at 2:51 AM
Rebecah, I have so many of your things. You make a lot of things that
are family oriented.
I'm just hoping that sims are better parents in sims 3.

This is something that maxis should have done in the first place.
Toddlers can go up stairs IRL, even if the crawl.

Thanks for all your hard work!
Page 3 of 5