Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:02 AM
Default Actually playing takes time
Maybe it's me but the interface is a bit different from Sims 2. It's hard to get used to putting your sim in a house, decorating it and so on.
I need to actually concentrate to get her to move around and to get used to all the new features.

When you want to decorate, you click a room icon and then on something in that icon (a table, a lamp) and those options come up.

I kept trying to zoom and move my sim around the old way and it was not working for me.

I found myself getting frustrated. I wanted the old way of moving them around, zooming in whatever...

I'll report more soon about 'actually getting into the gameplay.'

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:15 AM
maybe you've had problems, but I've had no trouble using all the controls -- and I'm using a laptop touch-pad, so that says something. I actually think the controls are laptop friendly now, which is excellent! I don't have to use the "movie mode mouse rotate" to change the angle of my view -- from flat to very overhead -- and to me that was the biggest control improvement they've made.

lol maybe I just adapt faster.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:29 AM
I don't know. Maybe I am trying too hard to play like Sims 2...maybe I have to actually sit down and read 'how tos' about this. I've been playing some form of Sims since 2000.

I'll need more time.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:51 AM
There's a sort by category mode too in buy mode -- I find it much easier than the sort by room mode with the pictures
Instructor
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:03 AM
I usually find it can take a while to get used to a new games controls. After I have been playing my mmorgs it is very difficult to then get used to the Sims controls or indeed any game that is offline the controls are very different.

I am sure in a little while it will all click and you will be having your sims zooming all over the place.

Got to say I do not know if I like this new rabbit hole thing. Seems like it could be dull, but maybe I can use the time to spy on the neighbours.... maybe....

I also want Malcolm landgrab to grow up so I can bear his children.... hehehehe or rather my sim... I wonder if he ends up looking like the sim we all know and try to get simoleans out of.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
There's a sort by category mode too in buy mode -- I find it much easier than the sort by room mode with the pictures

lol yeah, but for the first three hours I just screamed "WHERE ARE THE STATUES?! I KNOW THEY'RE IN HERE!!!" -- and I did the same thing for the driveway, I was so used to it being in build mode. The only thing that peeves me about decorations and such is that some parts of things aren't editable. Like the chimney of a fireplace is always going to be red AND it shows through the wall on cut-away mode. Maybe someone can make it texturable in that regard. *crosses fingers*
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:07 AM
moving around is awkward compared to sims2 (no edge scrolling, which i used alot) seems like the game is more like the sims than sims 2. building or adding objects is likewise quirky. i find that i'm spending much more time than before. i hope this is just a matter of adjusting to the odd way ea has changed the sims. (yes, i realize there will be others to follow that will be ecstatic about sims3) i'm still exploring the game,but so far, i'm thinking i spent too much money.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:09 AM
lol I never figured what "edge scrolling" was, so I guess I haven't much missed it.
Scholar
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:28 AM
No edge scrolling is part of windowed mode. You can go into game settings, uncheck windowed mode and play in full screen; voila, edge scrolling.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Test Subject
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:41 AM
yeah... the seamless neighborhood is rather daunting. i feel like there's a bit of a learning curve, even for those of us that are sim freaks... i dunno i had to step away for a little bit. And yeah having some issues with camera control.

it took me forever to find phones for the house for some reason haha.
Test Subject
#11 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:45 PM Last edited by slcd : 7th Jun 2009 at 8:48 PM. Reason: found what I sought
Default Where ARE the fireplaces?
Quote: Originally posted by Shikonah
lol yeah, but for the first three hours I just screamed "WHERE ARE THE STATUES?! I KNOW THEY'RE IN HERE!!!" -- and I did the same thing for the driveway, I was so used to it being in build mode. The only thing that peeves me about decorations and such is that some parts of things aren't editable. Like the chimney of a fireplace is always going to be red AND it shows through the wall on cut-away mode. Maybe someone can make it texturable in that regard. *crosses fingers*

I cannot find the fireplaces. One of my Sims wants to upgrade 10 unique items and I cannot upgrade the windows in the house, can't find the grandfather clock and cannot locate the fireplaces. Perhaps we can't add fireplaces after Sims move in? Maybe I'm not recognizing it, even though I think I've gone through each category (the standalone trash cans are in "appliances"). Aside from locating items (seeds were a real eyesore until my Sim earned enough points for a collector--love that collector!), I'm enjoying the console play of the game and discovering gems, rare metals and seed around the neighbor Elder Scrolls style.

Update: found the chimney in build mode. Arrgh!
Inventor
#12 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:52 PM
The fireplace is in build mode, you have to click on the chimney in the picture. As for edge scrolling, if you go to the options section and click on game options, you have to uncheck the box for edge scrolling in order for it to work.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:52 PM
Yeah, things take forever compared to sims 2. I can't say its bad, its great to be able to slow down and feel the sim might actually enjoy that sunset or whatever. If they fix the speed, I'd be a happy camper. It seems to me that you get paid alot less too... fishing has its benefits when starting out alot.

Edit: Another little dandy I noticed is that tabbing seems to give me a fish eye lens. It is probably an error on my end, because I don't remember it being that way at first. Things look... too cinematic.

I am, "The Man". I will get you down... Don't stick it to me... "Drink milk and be non-puntable"
Thank you Mimewhite for making the Seph trench coat.
Inventor
#14 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:54 PM
I like the ultra speed button that lets you speed up the current action and it will automatically go back to normal speed when the action is finished. Fishing, gem collection and gardening will give you things to sell in order to make money. And after that, you can buy shares in businesses and get profits from that, too.
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:15 PM
I find that the game slows down my computer and after about three hours of continious play, it minimizes the game just to tell me that my memory is low and that I should shut down the game. But, in order to do that, I have to pull the game back up, which uses even more memory. Urg.
I am finding sims3 to be more like sims 1.5 rather than three. It's annoying and frustrating, but I'm just begining to love being able to send my sims visiting their friends instead of always having them over. And I like to just sit and watch the shadows move across a lot. Always interesting, especially since I can't do it in real life.

With a name like Saxy, you know it's unique.

Don't know what a TARDIS is? Click Here to find out!!