Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:57 PM
The reason I enjoy it so much is that doing things and visiting the community is far less of a chore than it was in the Sims 2 - no loading screens, ease of access to everywhere, it's great. It's just very different to the Sims 2, and you can't compare base game to a game with lots and lots of expansions. The Sims 3 includes lots of features that were in the expansions. Gardening, fishing, cars etc. You're not going to get every feature from TS2 in base game TS3. Expansions we know are coming are Pets, probably something Seasonsesque (to add in weather, possibly in a Bon Voyage cross-over).

People are just judging this game too quickly. When I first played it I was like "Oh, wow, this is different, and how do I do this?" and it was quite difficult at first, but after playing this, I absolutely could not go back to the Sims 2. Not at all.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:02 PM
Yeah. I think it really takes a lot of getting used to just like TS2 did. But I, for one, LOVE my TS3!!!
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:21 PM
Nope. The other way around. Although I didn't uninstall The Sims 2 (don't really need to), I doubt I'll be going back to it anytime soon.
Test Subject
#79 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 11:14 PM
I'm another who's sticking to TS2. I tried TS3, but TS2 looks a million times better graphics-wise, in spite of the fact my computer meets the TS3 requirements well and beyond. (I'm also not computer illiterate, so it's not from lack of knowledge.) As well, the combination of crappy graphics quality and the jerky camera... Horrible motion sickness. I'm glad most everyone else is enjoying their game, though.
Field Researcher
#80 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 11:21 PM
Im definetly sticking to TS2
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 12:49 AM
I love sims 3. It took me a couple of days to get really in to it, but I could never go back to sims 2 now. There is so much to do in the sims 3. I love the seamless aging and open-ness. I couldn't go back to loading screens, and having to play every family to get them to age. I like being able to customize so many objects too.

I think you should give it another go. It grows on you. I think you can send your copy back for a refund within 90 days to EA, but don't quote me on that.
Instructor
#82 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 10:17 AM
mm...some time i guess i will get on to sims3.
right now i tried it two evenings and, well... some things i really like (gardening, moods, traits, sliders, design and all that)

but graphics.
ugh.
my guess is my pc isnt on top of it, although all settings set to max (automatic not by me). everything seems blurry and fuzzy and its very darkish.
i had one of my sims take a pic of another sim and it was: hmmmm, there is a slightly lighter blob in the middle of the pitch black.
not fun. also i have never been the one to have my sims have parties and socialize much and i get the feeling its more required in this game than it is in sims2.

im not dissapointed in the game as such, i did not expect a "improved sims2". but at the moment i find my old sims more enjoyable (with expansions and mods )
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 12:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LouBarratt88
I recieved my copy of TS3 yesterday morning, played on it a total of about 5 hours throughout the day...and today uninstalled it and put all my Sims 2 games back on! I was wondering if anyone else had done this or was concidering doing so? Saying I don't like the game would be a understatement! Granted my computer isn't that great for it but I hate the way everything looks so cartoony, and if I were to compare it to something I'd say the naff game 'Singles'! The sims just remind me of the people from that game!

If you prefer graphics over gameplay, go play some POS like Halo or Gears of war.
Test Subject
#84 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 12:35 PM
Talk about dramatic and wasteful.
Field Researcher
#85 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 2:01 PM
Quote:
Motives, moods, wishes/wants, relationships, careers, childbirth, school, traveling, CAS, CAST (uh big one right there), open neighborhood, buy/build mode, lifetime rewards, skills/skilling, cooking (recipes), gardening, collecting, fishing...and so on.

Excluding CAST (which I'm not sure what that is) and open plan neighbourhoods the rest are ALL in Sims2. Its only the last three that were in expansion packs. (you could make different foods from the start of Sims2)
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#86 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 2:25 PM Last edited by LouBarratt88 : 8th Jun 2009 at 2:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AutumnMemories
Talk about dramatic and wasteful.

And I am 100% sure you would play it if the characters barely moved a inch a minute?? Of course!

Quote: Originally posted by DevilsAdvocate
If you prefer graphics over gameplay, go play some POS like Halo or Gears of war.

I'm a girl for goodness sake, I don't play games like that lol.

Why are people only seeing what they want to see - why is nobody understanding that I am not slagging the game off, and no I don't prefer graphics over gameplay, believe me when I first got TS2 I was chuffed as hell, even if the graphics were at a minimum. My actual reasons for not playing TS3 and uninstalling is the fact it is acutally impossible to play it! Not because of the graphics, or anything like that but because gameplay itself is rubbish on my computer.

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lauren
Excluding CAST (which I'm not sure what that is) and open plan neighbourhoods the rest are ALL in Sims2. Its only the last three that were in expansion packs. (you could make different foods from the start of Sims2)

Uh ... I think the point of the OP's post was that those things are all NOT THE SAME as in TS2 (with the exception of needs and moods perhaps).

Wishes are pretty different -- you have a great possibility of a variety that are offered to you, and you're able to "lock" more of them.

Relationships are structured quite differently and while there are somethings I don't like about them (and I certainly hope it will become more refined in future EPs), in general they are a bit more realistic than in TS2, or at least the TS2 base game.

Careers are very different and much more satisfying and realistic.

Childbirth is pretty different, and I just don't mean the fact that you can go to the hospital to give birth (though I love that). The mood of the mother and the way the pregnancy goes determines the personality of the baby. That's a pretty big difference right there.

Lifetime rewards are much more useful -- personally I didn't use many of the rewards in TS2 besides the smart milk, the money machine, and the elixir of life.

Skills are more specialized, which is again more realistic. And while I don't, for example, like the fact that we only have a guitar/guitar skill, I am looking forward to one day also have piano skill, and violin skill.

Recipes in TS3 are completely different from cooking in TS2, enough said. I actually wish they were more comlicated (most of them seem to only require one ingredient), but at least it means that your Sims can learn different recipes, can actually know where the produce they are growing winds up, or have goals in order to make certain types of foods. (Notably, the ambrosia.)

Gardening and fishing aren't too different, but the slight changes are positive, in my opinion.

I am a sweet, fluffy bunny. I live in a golden meadow surrounded by unicorns and butterflies. I have 10 nice points.

Better?
Field Researcher
#88 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 4:04 PM
I really am boggled at how many people are being SO rude to those who don't share your opinions.

If the OP doesn't like the product she bought, she isn't obligated to keep using it, and deciding not to isn't "wasteful". How many people can say that if they bought ANYTHING they weren't happy with, that they would just use it anyways? Not return it? Not be displeased that they didn't get what they paid for? Or would you just shrug and keep using it anyways..? If you did that you'd be in the minority - most people DO stop using something they don't like. So it's pretty silly to be calling someone dramatic or wasteful just because they're expressing their dislike for something you like.

I just don't see any people who dislike the game going into the threads where people are raving about TS3 and going, "No you're being ridiculous, this game sucks and you need to stop talking about how much you like it."
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 5:45 PM
Not because of the graphics, or anything like that but because gameplay itself is rubbish on my computer.

What are your specs?

A 2.7 GHz processor should be more than powerful enough to run Sims3 well [unless it is a substandard chip]. If your PC lacks a decent graphics card and memory you will have problems.

Even with a decent amount of memory (2-3GB), a poor graphics card will let you down. It is possible that your machine can be upgraded without spending hundreds on a new rig, but without proper specs nobody can help you.
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#90 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Morlock
What are your specs?

A 2.7 GHz processor should be more than powerful enough to run Sims3 well [unless it is a substandard chip]. If your PC lacks a decent graphics card and memory you will have problems.

Even with a decent amount of memory (2-3GB), a poor graphics card will let you down. It is possible that your machine can be upgraded without spending hundreds on a new rig, but without proper specs nobody can help you.

I have a 2.50ghz comp. I understand what you mean about graphics cards, I just bought a geforce 6200 thinking it would work at least a bit with TS3. Once in game it looks pretty good, but it doesn't run very good at all! Very slow and laggy, and the ultra speed button doesn't work, if it did I would play. Also got 1gb256mbs ram. I'm just glad the updates I did work very well with the Sims 2 now lol.

Quote: Originally posted by kayleigh83
I really am boggled at how many people are being SO rude to those who don't share your opinions.

If the OP doesn't like the product she bought, she isn't obligated to keep using it, and deciding not to isn't "wasteful". How many people can say that if they bought ANYTHING they weren't happy with, that they would just use it anyways? Not return it? Not be displeased that they didn't get what they paid for? Or would you just shrug and keep using it anyways..? If you did that you'd be in the minority - most people DO stop using something they don't like. So it's pretty silly to be calling someone dramatic or wasteful just because they're expressing their dislike for something you like.

I just don't see any people who dislike the game going into the threads where people are raving about TS3 and going, "No you're being ridiculous, this game sucks and you need to stop talking about how much you like it."

Thank you . I thought it was a little off saying what they said, some people are taking the game far to seriously I think!

Lab Assistant
#91 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 6:53 PM
I have a 2.50ghz comp. I understand what you mean about graphics cards, I just bought a geforce 6200 thinking it would work at least a bit with TS3. Once in game it looks pretty good, but it doesn't run very good at all! Very slow and laggy, and the ultra speed button doesn't work, if it did I would play. Also got 1gb256mbs ram. I'm just glad the updates I did work very well with the Sims 2 now lol.

More memory would make a big difference, at least 2GB, but preferably 3GB or more if your motherboard can handle it.

Also try turning all graphics down in-game particularly textures, lighting and objects/Sims detail.

But, lack of memory seems to be your systems biggest weakness.

As for the ultra-speed, I gather most people are finding game speed-ups slow, it seems to be more of a game bug rather than a system limitation.
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#92 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 8:52 PM
Its ok, I found some weird setting when looking into my graphics card settings which said something about using the higest quality settings at all times. I then set this to "performance" rather then quality and the game is running a LOT better and faster . Yeah the graphics arn't the best but beggers can't be choosers . I'm off to (finally) give TS3 a blast .

Test Subject
#93 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 10:23 PM
I'm enjoying it. I do miss all the stuff from TS2 but when TS2 first came out it had much less in it than this does.
Test Subject
#94 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 5:49 PM
I hated it the first day too, but it's growing on me. There are a lot of little things that make it interesting..the collecting, gardening, etc. What I like is that you don't have to have a 9-5 job to make money. It's not "Open for Business" where you can have your own business, but you can make good money without having to go to work. And you can invest in or actually buy a working business. So you could actually wind up owning the whole valley eventually. That might be an interesting goal to pursue. There is a lot to do with your time, it's just not the same things you did in Sims 2with all the expansions.
Field Researcher
#95 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kayleigh83

OMG! THANK YOU! I think you and I seem to be 2 of the few people to understand her problem, and not bash her for not liking something about the game. A lot of people on here need to stop being so rude and judgemental toward others. I believe there are certain rules about how you can and can't treat people on here. No need to respond and bash me over this statement... you will only make YOURSELF look like an ass, and probably get a mod LAUNCHING UP your ass in the process.

P.S.- I can't seem to italicize, underline, or otherwise emphasize words in my postings, therefore I am forced to capitalize what I want to emphasize.
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LindsFish
TS2 wasn't that great when I first got it. After several EPs, CC, hacks and mods, it became a game I love. I love TS3, and I'll love it more when I get all of the above along with it, but I dont think going back to TS2 would make me very happy, even if it had more content (again, after years of collecting that content...)

I didn't like ts2 at all when I first tried it. It wasn't until I had a whole list of hacks to fix things and cc to make the sims look better that I actually started playing it. And even then all that cc and stuff I needed to enjoy the game slowed it down horribly and sometimes messed it up. I'm so much happier with ts3 as a base game and enjoy it even as buggy as it is right now. I can't wait until all the wonderful modders have some stuff out or more finalized versions.
Test Subject
#97 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 9:06 PM
i wasn't too thrilled with it at first but then i figured out that you could enable edge scrolling and actually pick the colors for your items. i sat there for a good 10 minutes for each item randomizing them trying to get a color that worked for me. thank god i found the color wheel.
Test Subject
#98 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 9:28 PM
I think it just takes getting used to. There's things about Sims 3 I like, such as no loading screens, seemless neighborhood, and the personalities. I still like Sims 2 more because I can create Sims that are more unique and the Sims on the Sims 3 look too similar to one another. I also like the new body shapes for the sims, but I find myself playing Sims 2 more often. Once some EPs come out, I am sure I'll be playing more. I'd say I like both games, but am more used to the Sims 2.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 9:37 PM
If I were you, I'd just uninstall it and wait a few months for ep's and custom content to come out.
I keep feeling like the game sucks, but then I remember I started playing the Sims 2 about 8 months after it was released, and custom content and the first ep were already released. I remember playing the Sims 2 when I first installed it, without having any custom content, and it was definatly no better than the Sims 3. Actually, I think that the Sims 2 base game sucks compared to the Sims 3 base game.
So just wait awhile if you don't like it now. It will improve over time, that's the way all the games have been.
Page 4 of 4