Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 10:37 PM
Default "Townies" still there?
I know that the concept of townies has been largely abandoned. Though I'm not so sure about it as I haven't really read into it.

So every Sim there is is playable. I realised that through playing. Now with the Story Progression fixes, I have turned Story Progression off and evicted most of the neighbourhoods population. I only left a few, like 5 households.

I still have aging on. Which means that, without Story Progression, at some point, all the Sims of the town will die, except those I keep creating through CAS or procreation. This makes for a very limited amount of Sims, making the neighbourhood quite irritiatingly uninhabited, if I happen to only have 2 households. It also creates a problem with opportunities (who is my boss if all the Sims work in seperate careers), etc.

I guess service Sims and police, etc. are still there. But how does the game handle that problem? As the game can't move any Sims into town or create new babies due to Story Progression being turned off.

So are there still mysterious "homeless" people in town that seem to come from a neighbouring city to sit around in the park, meaning townies?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 10:44 PM
I hope you get an answer to this, as I'v been wondering the same. I also have the fix and story progression off, while aging is on, and I'm actually looking forward that the town's population will go down as I like playing a town where I know all the sims.
Instructor
#3 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:06 PM
As I see, there are only Service sims who are homeless sims. The Repairman, the Repoman, the Maids, the NewsPaper Children... -sometimes I see them in Central Park relaxing, but actually they are not living in any of the houses.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I hope you get an answer to this, as I'v been wondering the same. I also have the fix and story progression off, while aging is on, and I'm actually looking forward that the town's population will go down as I like playing a town where I know all the sims.

Yeah, me too... I hate having so many sims there, and not knowing who anyone of them are x]

ingeborgsk
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Floraflora2
As I see, there are only Service sims who are homeless sims. The Repairman, the Repoman, the Maids, the NewsPaper Children...

If the newspaper kid is static, it would be nice to know what happens to them when they expire. I have story progression off, agin on, and so far I'v had several different newpaper kids.
Instructor
#6 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:29 AM
I'm getting the impression that Cycl0n3 Sw0rd is a townie. He is in my Prima Guide described as a household but they don't have his house and I can't find it in game..

^_^
Inventor
#7 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:30 AM
He lives with several other townies in a house together. Stiles is one of them.
Instructor
#8 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:32 AM
ahhh, I think I may have found it! Cheers for that

^_^
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:22 AM
Everbody has a house from what i've seen

Winning the Game
Don't be absurd. This is a Maxis game! What's to win? You and your sims can play unto perpetuity, getting into entanglements and trying to get out, and by the time you know it, it will be 3am your time, and you don't even have your teeth brushed...
--The Sims 1 Prima Guide
Instructor
#10 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:36 AM
I was only confused because when I went to neighbourhood view and filtered my preferences down to sims friends only he didn't show up, perhaps the relationship just wasn't high enough..she is dating him now, so I will test it when I next play

^_^
Theorist
#11 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:01 AM
Quote:
Everbody has a house from what i've seen

I've yet to find a house that holds service workers. I was thinking it would have been cool if the service workers came out of the general population but they come out of nowhere, apparently. Anyone notice how there's no post office in town?

At any rate, aside from the service workers, if all your other Sims die off, you definitely won't have any others meandering town. You may see an occasional service worker but that will be it. Before I started playing a few days ago I "gassed" all of the Sims in my town. For three days, Seth was the only Sim aside from service workers until others started moving in.

Actually, if you want fewer Sims in your town this is a good way to do it because after about eight or ten families moved in, no more have come, so it's sparsely populated right now.
Inventor
#12 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by schitzwa
I was only confused because when I went to neighbourhood view and filtered my preferences down to sims friends only he didn't show up, perhaps the relationship just wasn't high enough..she is dating him now, so I will test it when I next play

It only shows the Sims households with the Sims who are inside the house at that moment. So if you'd gone to neighbourhood view and he wasn't at home at that time you'd not be able to find him as he lives in the Roomies household.

If you want to check where everyone lives I recomend using the Edit Town function.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 12:02 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to create townies myself. Just make 2 huge houses, create like 30 randomly generated Sims and just move them in the 2 houses.

My Sims > EA Sims!

Or maybe, once we get to make our own neighbourhoods, I might really just populate it with my own beloved Sims.
I still have to figure out a lot about the Aging and Story Progression dynamic so I can properly enjoy the game.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
I've yet to find a house that holds service workers. I was thinking it would have been cool if the service workers came out of the general population but they come out of nowhere, apparently. Anyone notice how there's no post office in town?

Apparently the service workers are sort of invisibly assigned to empty lots. I think someone on MATY determined this.

I am a sweet, fluffy bunny. I live in a golden meadow surrounded by unicorns and butterflies. I have 10 nice points.

Better?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annalisa
Apparently the service workers are sort of invisibly assigned to empty lots. I think someone on MATY determined this.

What if there's no empty lots?