Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:04 PM
Default How do you revive dead or barren plants
Has anyone successfully revived a dead or barren plant? I have not, so if y'all have, please post the details here!

I've tried level 10 gardener and green thumb trait. After a plant goes, I get options to pull it or view it. Viewing it always does nothing more than illicit a shrug.

In return, some pointers from me:
Plant your garden in is raked sand to make it easier to identify individual plants - especially if you queue things up in the dark while your sim sleeps.
To make it easy to space trees over generations, spray a dirt spot for the tree planting location.
After you have a perfect plant bearing perfect fruit, fertilization seems to have no additional benefit in lifespan or productivity, so skip it.
Sprinklers can be left on 24x7 without overwatering which is a huge time saver. Auto water can be added to them via tinkering, which saves on the graphics load of water all the time.
If you plan on maintaining a perfect garden, build a separate garden for plants you're building up or seeds you're testing. Keeping the separate saves a lot of sorting hassle.
Have the will to kill. Hanging onto old plants of lower quality is very time consuming for your sim. Just kill them off and keep three or four perfects of each variety as a job replacement or fewer for a hobby-grade garden.
Move your trash can into the garden when disposing of plants to save time.
Try not to plant more than one of a plant type per day. This keeps the dead plant removal and replanting down to a minimum for any given day. Also, if you miss a dead plant and sell off all your perfect fruit, you'll get another chance when the next plant over flowers.
Once you perfect a plant type, put some samples in the house inventory. It is well know that this game is best played with a glass of scotch, but after a few rounds it's good to have a backup plan to keep you from starting from scratch.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, and I hope you find value from my tips!

theDave
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:17 AM
I don't think you do revive them, all of mine have died after a certain number of harvests. I mean plants don't last forever in real life.

edit: although apple trees and the like can last years and years irl hahah.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:20 AM
I think you have to buy the Super Green Thumb reward.
Inventor
#4 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:22 AM
I think you have to have the green thumb trait to revive them. I have a sim that is level 10 but doesn't have the green thumb trait and has planted dozens of crops and he got the super green thumb reward prize, but he isn't able to "talk to" the plants like the other sim I have that isn't a level 10 yet. Once I get the one with the green thumb trait up to level 10 then I'll be able to check out if he can revive.

There are also 3 bonus opportunities that are listed in the gardening manual in your skills section that may need to be accomplished before you can revive dead plants. Haven't played long enough to get those tasks accomplished yet, to see.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:49 AM
Okay! So I forgot to mention that I had the Super Green Thumb already. On the side missions, I'm on the last one to get the Omni Plant.

Shortly after posting, I got the chance to revive. I've seen it twice now, both times on a Death Flower Bush. The menu item does not always appear, so I believe there is only a percentage chance that it will show up. I haven't seen it enough to know if there is some other logic involved.

The first time I saw it, the revive was successful, refuting some information I'd seen elsewhere that this was not possible. The second time, my "Dispose all Dead Plants" was successful before the revive was attempted. (Doh! See why I mentioned covering contigencies earlier? Sometime, I'z stoopid, y'all'z.).

(Note that you can actually build up a crop of Death Flower Bushes in this way. They always go barren after a single flower, but each one you revive provides the opportunity to use the flower or create a new bush in your garden.)

I have not yet seen a revive fail other than the hardware issue with my chair/keyboard interface, mentioned earlier. I'm going to start looking for the option on less interesting plants to better understand it's use.

A couple more tips for questions I've seen:
You can get seeds all over the place outside, particularly public places like the park, swimming hole, science facility, etc. When you mouse over a seed, it may tell you the type if you've grown a perfect of that food variety, or it might not even if you have. It will always tell you the scarcity of the seed. Only "special" seeds cannot be bought, so generally ignore the rest.
I've had the best luck with special seeds near the graveyard, but they can be found anywhere there are seeds outside.
There is a Death Flower Bush in the graveyard. Be sure to harvest it when it's ready.
There are other wild plants around that can be harvested, such as the fishing hole. Most of the purchaseable varieties aren't worth the time.
While planting unknown seeds, remember that they all take maintenance. If you plant something and it turns out grailish (you've already got one) then it's best to pull it. You may end up going through a lot of plants before you find them all, and they aren't worth the effort if your home-grown variety is already higher quality.
There is a life reward to help with collections. Set it to seeds and their locations will show as an icon on the map view and they'll shine on the closeup view.
I'm sure we're all counting our blessings on this one, but there are no ninja's in the game and even if there were they wouldn't have anything to do with plants. This is why they are not even mentioned in this thread; there would be no purpose for such a comment.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:12 PM
Okay, more data:

I have only been given the 'revive' option for the Death Flower Bush. I have not even been able to attempt reviving anything else. On a side note, by reviving dead death flower bushes, I have built up my crop up to seven of them planted and 2 seeds in reserve in my home inventory from a base of three seeds. (myth confirmed)

More tips:
You cannot plant the money bag fruit of money trees, however, mine have all dropped a seed after quite a while. This hasn't seemed to harm their health, and they are still healthy and producing money bags at a steady clip.