Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#2126 Old 24th Jan 2022 at 2:26 PM
The first one turned out looking pretty playful.
As for the 2nd one, well, seems like we've found the same source. Your version looks jollier.
Screenshots

I come in peace
#2127 Old 24th Jan 2022 at 3:39 PM
That is a very sweet house - both of you!
...and your 'source' is?

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Alchemist
#2128 Old 24th Jan 2022 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
That is a very sweet house - both of you!
...and your 'source' is?

As for my part, it was an accidental find. Built it a while ago but never saved the plans.
Maybe Tudorman can save the day

I come in peace
#2129 Old 24th Jan 2022 at 7:46 PM
Oh I remembered today your dutch house Johnny. Aaah... You did such a perfect roof angle perfect matching diagonal lintels. That looks soo realistic! I can not imagine how you created all the 2nd floor wall cutouts.
But I guess you stairs hall is not weather proof. Because of sunlight leek in the second floor. So Tudorman's colourful geek house wins in terms of the Sims compability. And Johnny's one is also good but because of WOW effect.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Forum Resident
#2130 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
The first one turned out looking pretty playful.
As for the 2nd one, well, seems like we've found the same source. Your version looks jollier.

Thanks! I like your version too!

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#2131 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 10:56 PM
I miss cutsocks and his houses created in style After I see the Sims 4 gallery my eyes are bleeding.

The amount of stuff about the Sims 4 houses in the gallery and youtube is overwhelming. I don't wanna tell you things about sims 4 I seen today in youtube. In short: that was way too bad, so I don't want to share it.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Theorist
#2132 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 1:13 AM
You guys' latest posts inspired me to finish and test my newest build, Redux1TeslaCourt_3+BR_NCC, which is my full-game rebuild of the Beaker mansion, from Strangetown - with No Custom Content.

Screenshots
Theorist
#2133 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 9:54 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 26th Jan 2022 at 10:20 AM. Reason: The question
Things changed so far you can't imagine how much. Few words about Beaker family. They had appeared first in the Sims 2. Nervous Subject was one of Strangetown mysteries. Their house in the end of the road (which is never achieved with usual gameplay sources) is located near ufo crash site. Life leading to Sims 3 is shown in fork of their two family branches. First are their life one generation back to Loki's parents who live in generic upscale house of Aurora skies. Second is their future represented by Atom and Ceres, who are stated to be a genetically engineered offsprings created by Loki Beaker, who live in Oasis Landing, the town full of advanced technologies.
I have not seen their house. I guess it is high tech and full of metal materials and white colors as all houses seen in Oasis Landing.
In The Sims 4 they are appearing as full family with Nervous Subject from the Sims 2 and Atom and Ceres from the Sims 3. Nervous is not related to Olive or Ophelia, nor to Death, they do not share relationships with anyone out of their family, since they don't reside in a premade world and Atom and Ceres share family relationships with Loki who they recognise as their dad. They has no house and once downloaded from EA official gallery (something similar to the Sims Exchange being inserted in the Sims 4 so you can download any fruit of EA or anyone's labour without leaving the game) they will idle in your family tray.

I see the worthy place for them is Stangerville because of its misterious sci-fi flavour. But it has no any suitable pre-made house for them. All of the houses are too tiny and poor for such a huge family and has no anything related to science. Perhaps the first thing you will do is go to tge gallery to find out something suitable. Or you can house them in EA pre-made house with rooms that empty and then you need to start to play them from scratch which could be a greate place to land your creativity.
But still. I miss those days EA did with families the Sims 2 and the Sims 3. There was much fun to see each part was a continue of family stories. In the Sims 4 ALL returning families, except Pleasants, are just bare copies from previous parts which represents a great crisis in all the developers' brains.

I have thrown so many words about nothing. I am sorry. Actually I came with question. Could your house safely replace the original Beaker's house in the Strangetown, ScaryRob?

Theorist
#2134 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
Things changed so far you can't imagine how much. Few words about Beaker family.

Thanks for that elaborate description, Victor.

Quote:
Could your house safely replace the original Beaker's house in the Strangetown, ScaryRob?

I don't know what you mean by "safely", lol.
It's a full-game rebuild, which means I used objects and methods from many EP's and SP's (I don't keep track of which ones), but it has no custom content. It also does not include any of the career reward objects of the original Maxis house (the laboratory equipment) so you'd need to download those from here: https://modthesims.info/d/374017 and install them into your game.
Like many original Maxis houses, this one was not originally weatherproof. So I obviously weatherproofed it and made the layout more realistic, in my opinion. The only thing I'm not too happy about is the desert landscaping, which I always find difficult to do.
So again, it's No Custom Content, so just download it and see if you like it. That would be my suggestion.
Theorist
#2135 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Thanks for that elaborate description, Victor.

A pleasure. Sorry I just threw it all. I followed lore storylines and have been very excited by idea of inheritance of each game renerations starting from the Sims and ending by the Sims 3. Sadly the Sims 4 merely breaks it all.

Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I don't know what you mean by "safely", lol.
It's a full-game rebuild, which means I used objects and methods from many EP's and SP's (I don't keep track of which ones), but it has no custom content. It also does not include any of the career reward objects of the original Maxis house (the laboratory equipment) so you'd need to download those from here: https://modthesims.info/d/374017 and install them into your game.
Like many original Maxis houses, this one was not originally weatherproof. So I obviously weatherproofed it and made the layout more realistic, in my opinion. The only thing I'm not too happy about is the desert landscaping, which I always find difficult to do.
So again, it's No Custom Content, so just download it and see if you like it. That would be my suggestion.

"Safety" means it has no graves on it. I don't remember already if Beaker's house has any.
Oh. And I don't place career rewards from the buy mode I think that sims need to deserve it

Theorist
#2136 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 8:29 PM
"Safety" means it has no graves on it. I don't remember already if Beaker's house has any.
Oh. And I don't place career rewards from the buy mode I think that sims need to deserve it

No, the original Maxis Beaker mansion does not have any graves, and I wouldn't include them if it did. No Lot upload should ever contain graves, live Sims, pets, or anything else that has a history that would carry over from another neighborhood, because it's been shown that, eventually, those kinds of things will corrupt the neighborhood. Lot makers need to make sure that the Lots they upload have never been occupied by any Sims or pets. I make sure of that with all my Lots - they are clean. I always test using copies. Also, all my Lots are brand new and I never rebuild on the same Lot as an original house. It's a complete rebuild from scratch on a brand new Lot.
Also, in regard to those downloadable career rewards, I asked Hugelunatic on another website whether such objects could corrupt a game and she said absolutely not.

One minor thing I never mention in my Lot descriptions is that I have a default replacement in my game for the floor tile edge (http://www.feenwald.com/en/specials...s/flooredge.php), which does not attach to the Lot package file, so there might be a very slight difference in appearance between a Lot in my game and a Lot for someone that doesn't have this.
As a Lot maker, I really don't like defaults because once they are in my game I have no control on when to use them or not, and I've been thinking of deleting this floor tile edge default replacement.
Theorist
#2137 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 10:13 PM
I don't think you need to delete floor trim edge. You need to mention but no need to wipe. So people who download your houses will have a choise to remove their default replacements by suggested, or rest assured their house will look unique.
Default replacements are nice. Once I download it, I already make my desision to see my houses different from those I see on the screenshots. (Floor level trims, roof ending trims, wall top cutouts. I have it all white. All my shabby shacks and weathered verandas now have a neat trims like vanished hard by Mr. Clean)

Forum Resident
#2138 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 12:10 AM
As for my part, it was an accidental find. Built it a while ago but never saved the plans.
Maybe Tudorman can save the day

OH gosh I cant remember what sire exactly but found it using Pinterest!

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#2139 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 9:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
OH gosh I cant remember what sire exactly but found it using Pinterest!

OMG Pinterest now has become better platform to search pictures. I mean if you seach Sims 2 pictures, it will definitelly show you Sims 2 pictures. Google usually represents the mess of all Sims game pictures and our Russian source Yandex represents all the Sims 4 (guess because it shows popular pictures first regardless of you request)

Alchemist
#2140 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 2:07 PM
Shoot, I think I found it on Pinterest aswell. It's certainly not a Sears home.

I come in peace
#2141 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 3:50 PM
*sigh* ...I hate Pintrest. Just sayin'
I have been setting up my new "BEAST" of a computer for the last month. I had to reDL everything I had all over again (long story!) Anyway, I should be done in a few weeks; and then I'll have to sort/organize reprice/recat everything all over again. NOT looking forward to that!
But THEN - I'm gonna go on a building spree

and Vintage Stuffeths
Alchemist
#2142 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 4:10 PM
What's so bad about Pinterest? it feels just like a Google or Bing image search
Can't wait to see what you'll be presenting us after the spree

I come in peace
#2143 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 9:59 PM
What's so bad about Pinterest? it feels just like a Google or Bing image search

I agree, I like Pinterest. It's inspired two or three of my Lots.
Theorist
#2144 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 11:03 PM
I has ben envolved in long building process with Leto. She let me to utilise her lots in Oaken Valley and taught how to do some complicated things in the Sims 2.
I made a bunch of lots with her help. With costom setted roads, organised portals for cars and pedestrians, with different critters that will spawn and crawl around the lot and with custom colored water in ponds. This knowlege is cool and those lots become cool but I feel a bit overloaded by amount of information.

Theorist
#2145 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 1:56 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 28th Jan 2022 at 4:17 AM.
I don't think you need to delete floor trim edge. You need to mention but no need to wipe.

Actually, I do "mention" it, along with various other mods I have in my game, in the first post of my Lot download thread at the Garden of Shadows website, here.

From the perspective of a person who is mainly a Lot builder, defaults represent a problem, at least for me. The problem is that when I present a picture of a Lot for download, I want that picture to show exactly what a person downloading the Lot will get, if at all possible. This is not possible if I have a bunch of defaults in my game that change a Lots appearance. This is why I'm considering removing the floor edge default replacement from my game, which is the only default I use. I'm undecided, because it does make my Brutalist concrete Lots look better.

From my Lot builder's perspective, Custom Content can be divided into three types:

1- Standard Custom Content: This is the typical CC that attaches itself to Lot package files if the items were used in the making of the Lot. Things like custom windows, doors and countless furniture items. This is the most common type of CC and it is shown as being part of a Lot package file and the person installing a Lot can make the choice of whether they want to include these items in their install or not.
1a- A subset of the above are recolors that attach themselves to the Lot package files, even though they were not used in the making of the Lot. Ideally, the Lot builder needs to remove these items from the Lot package file before making it available for download, but many Lot builders don't, and people end up with a bunch of unnecessary items in their download folders, which is never a good thing.

Both of the above are reasonably easy to manage, by either the creator of the Lot or the person downloading it, or both, because all the items are shown as part of the Lot package file, and any unwanted or unnecessary items can be deselected from the upload or from the install.

2- Unattached Custom Content: This is custom content that was used in the building of a Lot, but that doesn't not attach itself to the Lot package file. A good example of this is the often-used invisible driveway & extension, but there are many others . Personally, I don't know why this type of CC even exists because I don't see a practical reason for it, but maybe there is a technical reason. Because these types of items do not show up in the list of CC in the Lot package file, the Lot builder needs to remember to include them in the list of CC that was used in the making of a Lot.

3- Default Replacement Custom Content: This is the most problematical type of CC, from a Lot builder's perspective, if it is a build item, because he/she has no control over whether or not to include it in a Lot. If they have it in their game, it will show up on a Lot. This includes things like the floor edge recolors mentioned above, roof trim recolors and similar things that will readily be seen in pictures of a Lot. These types of CC basically mean that the Lot maker will never be able to make a Lot that is CC-Free.

Some people might argue that defaults are "not really" CC because they do not get attached to the Lot package file and anyone not using the same defaults will simply see a Lot that is aesthetically different - and perhaps substantially different - from what they were shown in a picture. From my Lot builder's perspective, this is not acceptable, because when I present a picture of a Lot I want it to show exactly what a person that downloads it will get. This is why having defaults in my game is a problem for me.

The upside to all this is that TS2 is now 18 years old, and I would hope that many, if not most, people still playing it are aware of these things. But there are also a considerable number of newcomers all the time, and also people who may have dabbled in the game some years ago and would like to get more into it now. And when such newcomers are consistently disappointed because the things they download don't look or function they way they were advertised, it will turn them off the game. And that, of course, is not something we want to do, and at the risk of sounding overly dramatic, as a Lot builder I feel compelled to avoid such disappointments.

Sorry for the long post.

Edit: One more important thing I forgot to mention. If a Lot maker has a bunch of default replacements in their game, they would be lying if they claimed to make a Lot that was CC-Free, no? Even with no CC attached to the Lot package file, the Lot could conceivably look much different in the Lot builder's game and pictures than it eventually will for the person downloading it. And in my opinion that's not right.
Theorist
#2146 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 10:18 AM
First. Why do you have in mind the EA's look at the Sims 2 is ideal? Or are you aware someone thinks that? Then you will not probably see such a person here. That person will rather play in the Sims 2 with EA characters in EA worlds and don't really care about your house because... nah... EA already did their best and every chages would spoil it.

Second. Why do you think Sims players are so dumb not to understand that they has or has no their replacements? And why do you think they can not step back and delete once they... hmm.... made a mistake to download your house that suddenly happened to be out of their expectations? Look here. For example, Zaratustra says he never uses any mods. Never ever! But I won't use his pirate and renaissanse buildings. Because I do have my neat and pretty roof trims that will look like a wedding dress putted on goose. I'd rather say that will look like Beatrix Potter's fairytale but not for my watch. So I need to choose and here is another side or the coin which means I still need to choose even houses looks like they are in your game. I keep in mind that I need. But I can change it once I see the direction. And if you mention the default replacements and cc you use, I may or may not want to replace it.

So. Why do you think your houses may cause someone abandon to play the Sims?You does not need to care about make everyone happy. Because you'll never reach that. There are a lot of different BUT for any game and any of those could be a reason. Try to have joy from your own play rather then fit yourself to someone else's expectations.

Mad Poster
#2147 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 3:29 PM
I use the invisible driveways all the time. There are very few "perfectly paved cement" driveways that I have seen in RL - and even less, the asphalt one. The invisible one I use is a really tiny file, and I always state that it is not included - but you may get it [link] (if you want the driveway pavers/TP-dirt to show.)
I also list the couple of defaults I use - wall tops, floor edges, etc. I hope that people who want the house to look exactly like I show it - I hope they go DL those defaults. In my opinion, the ones I use, make everything look better!
Part of why/how I build what I build is to show people what they themselves can do with the tools I use. (Lot/Grid Adjusters)
I am teacher at heart. I build what I want for me, and to inspire others.

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#2148 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 4:41 PM
First. Why do you have in mind the EA's look at the Sims 2 is ideal? Or are you aware someone thinks that? Then you will not probably see such a person here. That person will rather play in the Sims 2 with EA characters in EA worlds and don't really care about your house because... nah... EA already did their best and every chages would spoil it.

Come on, Victor, I never said or implied that I thought EA's look is ideal. All I'm saying is that it is what it is and we all have to deal with it in some way or another. I try to keep my CC to a minimum so that people can take my Lots in any direction they want.

Quote:
Why do you think your houses may cause someone abandon to play the Sims?You does not need to care about make everyone happy. Because you'll never reach that. There are a lot of different BUT for any game and any of those could be a reason. Try to have joy from your own play rather then fit yourself to someone else's expectations.

My "joy" comes from making houses that can be used by as many people as possible, which generally means using as little CC as possible. It's not hard to understand. I also merely tried to explain why default replacements are a problem for me in this regard. Beyond that, you're reading a little too much into what I wrote.

I'm sorry to have sidetracked this thread. Lets get back to talking about Lot building.
Theorist
#2149 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 4:45 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 28th Jan 2022 at 8:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
I use the invisible driveways all the time. There are very few "perfectly paved cement" driveways that I have seen in RL - and even less, the asphalt one. The invisible one I use is a really tiny file, and I always state that it is not included - but you may get it [link] (if you want the driveway pavers/TP-dirt to show.)
I also list the couple of defaults I use - wall tops, floor edges, etc. I hope that people who want the house to look exactly like I show it - I hope they go DL those defaults. In my opinion, the ones I use, make everything look better!
Part of why/how I build what I build is to show people what they themselves can do with the tools I use. (Lot/Grid Adjusters)
I am teacher at heart. I build what I want for me, and to inspire others.

I agree with all that.
I know you also understand the dilemma of someone claiming to have built a "No CC" Lot, only to include in the description that if a player wants it to look like the pictures, they have to install a half-dozen default replacements - LOL. This is what I don't like to do.
Okay, so I've made that point now a couple of times. Lets get back to talking about Lot building.
Theorist
#2150 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 4:48 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 28th Jan 2022 at 5:06 PM.
I'd like some opinions on my desert landscaping on that last Lot I show a few posts uptopic, the Beaker Mansion rebuild. I'm not happy with it. At all. Give me your opinions. You can be blunt, I can take it, seriously.

(I'm thinking of adding a "Lush" version, just by changing the landscaping. Some real trees, shrubs, etc.)

Page 86 of 98